Thread: More Html Help
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2006, 04:51 PM   #19
plix
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by _r.u.s.s.+Mar 10 2006, 11:54 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_r.u.s.s. @ Mar 10 2006, 11:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>well, you actually can <_<[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-_r.u.s.s.

Quote:
Mobile browsers.* They're only going to be used more and more, and not being ready to support them is a bad idea.
if they r going to be used more and more then explorers should develope too, by the way i have never seen even one browser, which doesnt support frames
[/quote]
Oh, sure, because my phone with a 2" screen really benefits from a giant 300px frame (notwithstanding the fact that my phone's browser doesn't like frames). Regardless of if frames are supported on the mobile browsers or not (and they are on some), that doesn't change the fact that on those small screens a framed site is useless.

Quote:
Originally posted by _r.u.s.s.
man.. defence? is this a war?
i already gave you reason, page doesnt have to reload every time you click the link
all in all YOUR answer "if you have an enormous amount of text data in a navigation frame it's probably time to rethink your navigation" is very weak minded, since it is good reason. you know, not every frame is navigation bar and your answer is just misleading sh!t.
It's not a war, it's a debate. Guess what? In a debate you have to DEFEND YOUR ASSERTATIONS. Thus far you've offered nothing but "well you can use [frames]" and "what if you need them?" without actually offering any examples of when their use is necessary.

The one legitimate argument you have put forth (that they serve as an indirect text caching mechanism) you have yet to support with any sort of usage example. I'm well aware that not all frames are used for navigation purposes. And? Provide me with an example of a situation in which one persistent frame would contain a large amount of text (we're talking at least 10kb) -- I certainly can't think of one.

Quote:
Originally posted by _r.u.s.s.+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_r.u.s.s.)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>+users with slow connection would appretiate frames, even if the loaded page is not very big
next its easy to use
next if you are using navigation bar you dont have scroll anywhere, its easy accesable and user friendly
and can you give me other disadvantage of frames?[/b]

Users with slow connections only benefit if the frame is the aforementioned huge, persistent text document. Everything else (flash, images, etc) is cached by the browser.

As for usability, that's an easy retort. The following are articles by Jakob Nielsen, the man widely considered the authority on web usability.
Frames Suck Most of the Time
Original Top Ten Mistakes in Web-design (#1; still a problem, too)
Style Sheets vs. Frames

That's all without reiterating the same points I've made over the past page (which you still haven't addressed).

<!--QuoteBegin-_r.u.s.s.

..could you please stop flaming by the way?[/quote]
I haven't yet flamed you. I may have come off as rather abrasive, but that stems from my frustration with you offering nothing but platitudes as rationale in your defense of frames.
plix is offline                         Send a private message to plix