Thread: More Html Help
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2006, 04:51 PM   #18
mika
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by plix@Mar 9 2006, 06:00 PM
If you're going to use CSS to do it you might as well do it correctly and not use tables at all.* Tables are for tabular data, not for layout.* A pretty good rule of thumb when creating them is to ask yourself "Would this make sense if I put it into Excel?"

Frames may be misunderstood by some, but they're loathed for good reason.* They break printing, semantics, back/forward-button flow, hyperlinking, and a few other things.* I'd actually be quite interested in hearing what valid reason they do have for existing (and, in fact, have been eliminated in XHTML strict DTDs and exist only in the transitionals).
Actually frames were not removed from XHTML, just moved to XFrames (http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xframes-20051012/).

One good reason I can think of using them is when you want to show another website, but keep a navigation back to your own site.

Also a pure CSS design is great and very honorable, but old browsers do not support the box model properly (some not at all), so you can't just say "Use CSS" because it really depends on the target user and the reach that the web site is going for.
mika is offline                         Send a private message to mika