View Single Post
Old 10-03-2006, 05:49 AM   #3
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I stopped playing Magic: The Gathering at around the 8th edition.

Being someone who started playing just at the same time 3rd edition got out, I must say that Magic: The Gathering is really a boring game now. There is nothing interesting to do anymore but to start over and buy the cards from the beginning.

I was used to play type 1 games, with dark rituals, lightning bolts, counter spells, etc. When I started to play, the emphasis of the game always been on creature, not on spells. Then it began to turn to the other side, meaning that if you didn't have good spells in your deck you were dead to begin with. And then, after a while, they began creating very stupid cards like Akroma (the white angel one).

After yet another while, all the colors lost their appeal and their unique caracteristics. Before Akroma, an exceptionnaly strong white creature was extremely rare. Nowaday, it's comon. Nowaday, a red playing mainly burn would be a stupid player, because most of his burn would have no creatures to be casted upon and/or those creatures who will be casted will either be protected or too strong to make a difference. Black was a very offensive color, very interesting. You had some strong creatures in that color, with strong anti-anything which is not black or artifact spells. Nowaday, most of the new creatures require you to pay life to use them. That's stupid I say. When did the black players lost their mind enough so they actually wanted to help the opponent to kill himself before hand?

The last blow was to reprint most of the interesting cards in 8th, in such a way that rare cards were now common and lost their appeal. It was really a thrill back in the days to see a deck in which you could encounter an Hypnotic Spector at turn one. Now, it's not only common but that card is probably seen as too weak now VS the new cards.

So I threw the gauntlet and I don't play anymore. Wizard of the Coast simply didn't been able to keep the "magic" alive...