View Single Post
Old 20-07-2005, 11:19 AM   #7
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

According to my brother who uses Linux to program, it's not exactly a "what's better" issue, it's a "what flaws doesn't it have compared to windows"
Windows has a few problems that the regular user doesn't really notice, but drives the poweruser insane, for example: even when it's not running anything at all under windows, the computer will be "thinking", this isn't the case in Linux (according to him)
Now Linux isn't very friendly for the small computeruser, but it's getting more userfriendly (at least some of them are) you still need to work a lot with commandlines.
Linux's trademark smooth, empty, desktop comes with the cost of having to do a lot of things using commandlines and that may be a bit troubling for somebody who is used to working with icons and such. of coarse after a while you get used to it, like with dosbox.

Personally I use windows since I see no need for me to use Linux and the commandlines seem a bit daunting. Most linux-users are programmers or powerusers (but I guess all programmers are powerusers) who are comfortable with commandlines and need to empty space so they cang et a good overview over their work... and others just use it because they hate microsoft (which is a bit childish if you ask me, I once had a teacher who used Linux because he hated microsoft, but he couldn't make up a decent textfile using it)