Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Tech Corner (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Mac, Linux Or Windows? The Modern OS War! (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=6291)

mm_pie 17-07-2005 04:17 PM

I'm kinda half between Windows and Linux. Major Dilemma! I wanna run both! New option. :D

A. J. Raffles 17-07-2005 04:25 PM

I run Windows and find it bloody annoying, but unfortunately I'm too dumb for Linux. From what I hear you need at least some computer skills for it - which I don't have.:(

Havell 17-07-2005 04:31 PM

Moved to Tech Stuff.

I'm with Raffles in that Windows is annoying occasionally but Linux seems a lot of hassle to switch to. Also, lots of my games will probably refuse to work.

MdaG 17-07-2005 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by A. J. Raffles@Jul 17 2005, 04:25 PM
I run Windows and find it bloody annoying, but unfortunately I'm too dumb for Linux. From what I hear you need at least some computer skills for it - which I don't have.:(
You could give Ubuntu a try. It's completely free of cost and is considered one of the easier distributions to get running. Others that are just as easy as Windows to run are Xandros and Linspire, but they aren't free of cost. No matter what you choose there will be a more or less painful switch since you'll have to learn how Linux works. It's closer to MacOS than Windows...

This article about Debian pretty much sums up the issues I had with switching from Windows. It's not hard, but you will have to learn some new stuff.

On topic: I run both Windows and Linux. Gentoo for school stuff and Windows for games. Most games here on Abandonia works in Linux though since DOSBox and ScummVM are cross platform.

A. J. Raffles 17-07-2005 09:34 PM

Well, the thing is that I know hardly anything about computers, really, so I'm afraid I might take a long time getting used to a completely different type of OS. And unless I'm very much mistaken, most computers are built to be much more favourably disposed to Windows than to Linux, so you'd have to know how to fight that as well. A friend of mine runs Linux and swears by it, though, so I suppose I could try asking him to show me the basics sometime...

Shifter 18-07-2005 03:44 AM

I don't really "like" Windows....but I am really good with it. It doesn't annoy me or bother me...I guess when you know what you are doing it really helps.

I never have any crashing or other issues with windows at all...

win98 18-07-2005 07:40 AM

Windows Rules!
Windows All The Way! :ok: :cheers: Bill Gates

MdaG 18-07-2005 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by A. J. Raffles@Jul 17 2005, 09:34 PM
Well, the thing is that I know hardly anything about computers, really, so I'm afraid I might take a long time getting used to a completely different type of OS. And unless I'm very much mistaken, most computers are built to be much more favourably disposed to Windows than to Linux, so you'd have to know how to fight that as well. A friend of mine runs Linux and swears by it, though, so I suppose I could try asking him to show me the basics sometime...
Some odd hardware might not have drivers in Linux, but it has to be really oddhardware then. Still, if you feel that it might be too much hassle for you, you're probably right :max:

The current time is 06:29 AM (GMT)