Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Blah, blah, blah... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Discussion about Abandonia on GOG.com! (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=27848)

Panthro 13-09-2011 09:27 PM

Discussion about Abandonia on GOG.com!

Hey folks,

Thought I'd post a link to the Good old Games forums where they're having a little discussion about us.

Basically, the general attitude is that we're a good resource for old games, and there are a few folks that call us pirates.

I'd rather say no more and let people read the thread and make up their own minds:

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/..._abandonia_com

TheChosen 13-09-2011 10:04 PM

I like it how the GOG staff thinks were cool. Nice to see Red_avatar too.

Panthro 13-09-2011 10:21 PM

Yeah, I posted this before I got to the end and saw RA. Always good to see a discussion like that, not only so that the issue at hand (piracy vs. abandonware) can be debated, but also it will no doubt get Abandonia some extra traffic which is always welcome.

Eagle of Fire 13-09-2011 11:16 PM

Fascinating how the same sterile discussion always remains.

One would think that if we were so illegal a site we would not have been permitted to operate for over 10 years now? Maybe just a little less than 10 years, I don't remember when Kosta started this site to be frank. But clearly very close to 10 years.

Also, many people just don't know what they are talking about. I didn't read much further than the fifth page, but people stating that we do this solely for the point of promoting Abandonware clearly have no idea of what we do here. Or people who claim that we do this only to promote piracy. Gee, I wonder why we have a golden rule to never upload games younger than 10 years if all we want to do is make sure every single game get uploaded for piracy! :rolleyes:

Anyways, reading that thread is pretty much wasted time. The same discussion pretty much happened right here several times in the past too.

Lulu_Jane 14-09-2011 08:09 AM

Nice, I can see a few Abandonians aside from Red in the thread :)

I'm a big fan of GoG and I admire how they've managed to do all that they have. Thanks for sharing this Panthro.

Dave 14-09-2011 10:31 AM

^What Lulu said :)

I'm glad to see that someone got the point in the end.
We have very strict policies to follow, I wouldn't be here otherwise.

I love this part, things like this don't happen everyday:

AB Admin:
Quote:

Originally Posted by red_avatar
I'm sure GOG got quite a few sales from us linking to them, so if you ask me, it's a good symbiotic relationships.

Gog Staff member:
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEnigmaticT
Abandonware sites in general are very large sources of traffic for us; we appreciate what you guys do, but we understand that not all of our partners would. Thus why we're cool with the discussion here, but I'd rather not have any links to direct games.

AB Admin:
Quote:

Originally Posted by red_avatar
No worries - I don't expect you to allow it and I appreciate we're allowed to discuss this so openly. We're not here to be competition for GOG but rather to offer what you can't or don't.

DarthHelmet86 14-09-2011 11:14 AM

Most of the people who have problems seemed to change their tune when they found out we linked to them, showing they had no clue about the site and were just ranting in general. And the few with the biggest issues seem to be hardcore "Copyright holders should never have to worry about it expiring".

Not everyone is going to love what we do and that's up to them. We have are place GoG has theirs and I fully support both of us.

Eagle of Fire 14-09-2011 04:55 PM

That is quite true. And you also have to notice that there is actually a very small minitory of users who posted in that thread who are against Abandonware in general... However, a particular user in that thread must account to close to 40% of the posts! And he's about the only one really against us...

Shows how quantity can easily beat quality or how to bury the truth under countless replies.

Panthro 14-09-2011 08:35 PM

I think most of the people against abandonware assume it's all warez, and that we'd give away anything in order to make money from advertising or something.

Those that have actually visited here would know that we try and be very responsible and do this for the love of old games, not for any money or whatever.

I don't post much on GOG forums any more, but I still have a look in there from time to time.

:wilco: <--- only just noticed this!

Lulu_Jane 15-09-2011 11:23 AM

I'm glad you like him :D

The current time is 10:09 PM (GMT)