Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Tech Corner (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   I need to change O.S. so, between XP Home and XP PRO, which it is better... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=18362)

Incappucciato d'Ombra 13-12-2008 04:54 AM

I need to change O.S. so, between XP Home and XP PRO, which it is better...

also considering that:

1) By now I'm only interested in internet and to play old games (at least 5/10 years old)

2) I'm not a computer expert, therefore I would want to avoid the greater possible number of problems (of any kind).

:sos:

AlumiuN 13-12-2008 06:57 AM

It actually doesn't matter if you're not going to be doing anything that requires a motherload of fiddling with system settings and other complicated stuff, but XP Pro seems to be better and have slightly fewer pointless user gimmicks that just take up RAM. Microsoft seems to be good at increasing the price on things after taking things out. :D

Japo 13-12-2008 09:56 AM

Pro has more features of course, although they're about system administration and you won't probably care. I have Home and I don't think I'm missing anything important for me. Pro is also more expensive of course.

The Fifth Horseman 13-12-2008 09:57 AM

XP Pro also has a number of additional options.
Some of these are in XP Home, but nearly impossible to access.

GTX2GvO 13-12-2008 01:20 PM

I have both..
XP home on my Laptop and Pro on my Desktop.

For YOUR purpose it doesn't matter which of the two you'd pick.
You'd probably need to use either DOSbox or compatibility settings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 344845)
XP Pro also has a number of additional options.
Some of these are in XP Home, but nearly impossible to access.

Oh.. Really..

How can I get to some of those features then??

The Fifth Horseman 13-12-2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Oh.. Really..
How can I get to some of those features then??
Directory access permissions are one I am completely certain about. XP Pro has them accessible normally. XP Home has them only in the Safe Mode.

Further, XP Pro allows you to run programs in reserved memory space - which seems to fix certain issues with some older software and games.

These functions are - as you might already have realised - not pointless gimmicks but access and compatibility tweaks.

bobson 15-12-2008 05:27 PM

When my company gave me a computer with XP home I was thinking - hey, what a sh1t, In aminute I'll find something that is cut from PRO (which I was using at home). Finally, after a couple of months ... only one thing was missing, which i would like to use sometimes: Virtual Desktop (I'm not sure what is english name for that, My Win is localized -I am talking about a possibility to work on another computer through network - seeing the desktop, operating and that stuff). But one day this option came to me ... from heaven. OK, from Microsoft, system just took it from MS servers during automatic upgrade, so for me - no differences.

Short version: take Home - it's cheaper :thumbs:

GTX2GvO 16-12-2008 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob-satan (Post 344985)
When my company gave me a computer with XP home I was thinking - hey, what a sh1t, In aminute I'll find something that is cut from PRO (which I was using at home). Finally, after a couple of months ... only one thing was missing, which i would like to use sometimes: Virtual Desktop (I'm not sure what is english name for that, My Win is localized -I am talking about a possibility to work on another computer through network - seeing the desktop, operating and that stuff). But one day this option came to me ... from heaven. OK, from Microsoft, system just took it from MS servers during automatic upgrade, so for me - no differences.

Short version: take Home - it's cheaper :thumbs:

You're talking about Remote Desktop.
Since it's about connecting to a (real) Desktop Remotely.. :rolleyes:

sgtboat 16-12-2008 03:09 PM

Pro

XP Pro is a more refined version and has better internet securities. I would go with Pro as I have on every computer I own. Reformatted my new computers to XP Pro. I hate Vista with a passion, worst piece of poo they ever came out with.
:doh:

bobson 16-12-2008 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTX2GvO (Post 345053)
You're talking about Remote Desktop.

Remote, Virtual ... It's just words :bleh:
And - Yes that is what I was talking about :amused:

About Internet security - In my opinion it is always better to have some kind of personal Firewall not only the one built inside an OS.

The current time is 04:12 AM (GMT)