Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Sim Tower (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=14242)

cezza 15-05-2007 10:44 AM

hey...

i have been looking through a whole heap of old discussion threads but none answer my question! i am tryin to run simtower on xp, but i can't get it to work!! i get this error message:

TOWER caused a General Protection Fault in module SIMTOWER.EXE at 003A:00FF. Choose close. TOWER will close.

what does that mean???

any ideas how i can fix it?

thanks,

carey

Icewolf 15-05-2007 11:06 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cezza @ May 15 2007, 12:44 PM) [snapback]290337[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

hey...

i have been looking through a whole heap of old discussion threads but none answer my question! i am tryin to run simtower on xp, but i can't get it to work!! i get this error message:

TOWER caused a General Protection Fault in module SIMTOWER.EXE at 003A:00FF. Choose close. TOWER will close.

what does that mean???

thanks,

carey[/b]
Hi there!
Have you tried to start SimTower in Compability mode?
Right-click on the excuteable > Compability > start in compability mode.

Have a try! :ok:

PS: Do you have admin-powers on that pc?

The Fifth Horseman 15-05-2007 11:12 AM

First thing to do is try running it in Windows 95 Compatibility Mode.
Right-click the excutable, select [PROPERTIES] and then [COMPATIBILITY].
From the drop-box select "Windows 95" and click on [OK].

kvn8907 28-05-2007 03:35 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cezza @ May 15 2007, 06:44 AM) [snapback]290337[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

hey...

what does that mean???

thanks,

carey
[/b]
Compatability mode might help, but in my experience, no compatability mode has ever helped me once when a program wasn't running.

Personally, I'd suggest trying to run it in DOSBox, seeing if you can get another game, since you might have a version that's incompatable or the CD might even be dirty if you have it on a CD, or try running it on another computer if you can.

Actually, I was just thinking about that game recently. SimTower was one of those games that I played, but never really satisfyingly finished. Granted, like most Maxis games I don't think there's really an ending to the game, but still you can advance to get better sections, like underground subways, but I don't think I ever got that far when I used to play. I was thinking about trying to install it again and giving it another shot.

Icewolf 29-05-2007 06:44 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kvn8907 @ May 28 2007, 05:35 AM) [snapback]291640[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Personally, I'd suggest trying to run it in DOSBox, seeing if you can get another game, since you might have a version that's incompatable or the CD might even be dirty if you have it on a CD, or try running it on another computer if you can.[/b]
Too bad that it's a windows game.

ianfreddie07 30-05-2007 02:13 PM

Compatibility mode is the only solution

The Fifth Horseman 30-05-2007 02:20 PM

Hardly.
Virtual PC 2007 is still an option if comp. mode fails.
There are only two problems with it: first, it's a real hog for resources and second, you have to install the system from scratch on it.
Works just fine for games without too high hardware requirements, though.

Guest 03-06-2007 12:43 AM

i also want to run sim towers just bought my 2nd one hoping to run it. this one is brand new. can not get computer to do anything

_r.u.s.s. 03-06-2007 09:56 AM

runtime errors happened to me when computer tried to divide by zero (its too fast) so get some kind of slow down program and run the game

The Fifth Horseman 04-06-2007 02:06 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Jun 3 2007, 02:43 AM) [snapback]292733[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

i also want to run sim towers just bought my 2nd one hoping to run it. this one is brand new. can not get computer to do anything
[/b]
And of course you already tried Compatibility Modes and Virtual PC 2007, right?

The current time is 05:09 PM (GMT)