Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Gaming Zone (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Free Games on Gog.com (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=46159)

twillight 13-06-2018 07:37 AM

Free Games on Gog.com

For 5 more hours: Ziggurat

roarke 13-06-2018 06:00 PM

Thank you, but too late for me.

Mystvan 18-08-2018 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twillight (Post 482404)
For 5 more hours: Ziggurat

Quote:

Originally Posted by roarke (Post 482408)
Thank you, but too late for me.

Yes, thank you very much... :OK: However, it is also too late for me. :headslap: :palm:

twillight 04-10-2018 07:53 AM

10th anniversary givaway - october 4

There's a measily 3 games to vote for 6 more hours, and if I guess correct the most voted wil lbe free on october 4.

link to the vote

Free stuff is free stuff.

----------------

The winner is Shadow Warrior 2. 32 hours left to grab it. The classic shadow warrior (Shadow Warrior Classic Complete) is also free, and there's no appearant deadline for that..

Additionaly to that, I found a demo for Dex, some expansions/DLCs/lootboxes for free too, as well as Eschalon Book 1 (who knows how big this chapter is), and Ultima™ Worlds of Adventure 2: Martian Dreams.

Mystvan 06-10-2018 10:42 PM

Thanks for the links... :OK:

twillight 10-11-2018 08:53 PM

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt concert

is for like 16 more hours.
It went under "movies", Ihave no idea what this is, but sounds a good extra.

Mystvan 11-11-2018 03:44 PM

Thanks for the info, but it seems that the promotion of the mentioned extra has ended and was paid again...

twillight 11-11-2018 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystvan (Post 483095)
Thanks for the info, but it seems that the promotion of the mentioned extra has ended and was paid again...

Obviously.

Btw, it is just some concert-DVD. With some grand orchestra, so it's not like exciting performance, breaking gitars, or something. Just people sitting around.

twillight 29-11-2018 08:59 AM

Ran quick "what's for free" run, and GoG still have a crapload of free stuff, I'll only mention categories:
- DLCs (like for Pillars of Eternity 2, or Path of Exile)

- demos
- language packs
- game extras (so not games themselves, but stuff like manual)
- graphic and sound updates
- and even some full games, those I'm not fmailiar with I'd say by the look of it shareware-quality, but some look good.

There's the Jill of the Jungle trilogy (platformer?) as abandonedware, there's Bio Menace which is an oldschool going-around-shooter (it looks ugly, but its simplicity is attractive), there's a point&click adventure game named CAYNE which sure looks beautiful, Lure of theTemptress (insanely difficult old adventure game), some other old advanture games like Flight of the Amazon Queen and stuff which I long have in my library from old promotions, or Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves which I heared good things (it is a survivor tactical-action-horror game where you are in the middle of the forest, trying to survive attacks of wolves and werewolves).

Mystvan 29-11-2018 08:52 PM

Thanks for the hints! :OK:

However, to add those DLCs, Packs, Extras to your Library, it is a requirement that you have the respective games. :no:

Origin does not have that kind of requirement to add free DLCs, Extras, Packs, Expansions to your Livrary... :OK:

twillight 30-11-2018 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystvan (Post 483138)
However, to add those DLCs, Packs, Extras to your Library, it is a requirement that you have the respective games. :no:

Darn, and you have to have them on GoG! So not everything is golden there.
Too bad, I wanned to keep in mind the extras. Reading backstory novellas for games sounded cool. Well, there's still replacementdocs.

BranjoHello 02-12-2018 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystvan (Post 483138)

This "theory" doesn't have solid ground because GOG have never given away any DLCs, Packs etc for free. Only "vanilla" and/or complete titles. ;)

twillight 02-12-2018 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BranjoHello (Post 483153)
This "theory" doesn't have solid ground because GOG have never given away any DLCs, Packs etc for free. Only "vanilla" and/or complete titles. ;)

Except, they do.
Butcher, demo, 100% free: https://www.gog.com/game/butcher_demo
Metronomicon, The - Deck the Dubstep, DLC,100% free: https://www.gog.com/game/the_metrono...ck_the_dubstep
Kingdom Come: Deliverance - HD Voice Pack - German, 100% free: https://www.gog.com/game/kingdom_com...ce_pack_german
Hello Neighbour, alpha version, 100% free: https://www.gog.com/game/hello_neighbor_demo (yes, I see GoG considers it a demo)
GWENT: The Witcher Card Game, 100% free online access: https://www.gog.com/game/gwent_the_witcher_card_game
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number, Digital Comics, 100% free: https://www.gog.com/game/hotline_mia...digital_comics (transfers into your library without owning the game)
Eschalon Book 1, first chapter of a sequenced game, 100% free: https://www.gog.com/game/eschalon_book_i (the chapters supposedly work semi-independent from each other insuch games)
Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - German Extras, 100% free: https://www.gog.com/game/neverwinter..._german_extras

So ye, they bloody sell (give away) such things for free.

BranjoHello 04-12-2018 12:13 AM

I seems we have a really different view on what's DLCs and (Expansion) Packs. :smile2:
Demos and extras are not something I would EVER notice, and they are always free hence no point in listing them as "Free games on GOG". xD

twillight 04-12-2018 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BranjoHello (Post 483157)
I seems we have a really different view on what's DLCs and (Expansion) Packs. :smile2:
Demos and extras are not something I would EVER notice, and they are always free hence no point in listing them as "Free games on GOG". xD

Well, if you don't consider DLC stuff that are LITERALY CALLED DLC, then right, we differ.

The point of listing demos is, that GoG has some. They don't simply deal in full games. Sure, those are not the main goal of anyone, but until the concept exist, separate from the main games, as half the AAA titles are demos which'll either get fixed (geta full release) or not... A shame on the gaming industry for not releasing demos for the leading games.

Mystvan 04-12-2018 03:29 PM

BranjoHello, guys. :hello:

I am sorry, but I agree with what twillight said before.

Incidentally, there are Deluxe Editions, Collector Editions, etc. which offer Extras such as Art Books, Hint Books, Maps, Wallpapers, OST, etc. that enrich the content, or rather, the universe in which the game is inserted.

I, at least, value such Extras. In fact, several Japanese (Bishoujo) games that I own (in one of the previous posts) have those desirable Extras.

Hello,Branjo... :byesad:

Mystvan 05-12-2018 07:48 PM

Too bad that Origin has withdrawn that promotion of the games for free “On the House”... :no:

Smiling Spectre 07-12-2018 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twillight (Post 483140)
Darn, and you have to have them on GoG! So not everything is golden there.

There _is_ one circumvent, actually. From time to time GOG opens so called "GOG Connect" that takes into consideration about two dozen known indy titles from Steam. If you own any of them on Steam, GOG duplicates it on GOG account.

Mystvan 07-12-2018 03:36 PM

Nice info. :OK: Thanks, Grandmaster Spectre-man! :kosta:

twillight 13-12-2018 05:19 PM

Full Throttle (remastered)

The game is there for almost 2 more days (43 more hours).

EDIT: Also, if you spend ANY money at all (literaly, it only wants 1 USA cent), you get Fantasy General as bonus. I like this attitude.

Mystvan 13-12-2018 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twillight (Post 483185)

The game is there for almost 2 more days (43 more hours).

Thanks for the info! :OK:

I got it for free and it is in my Library! :OK:

twillight 28-12-2018 03:12 PM

Soma

42 hours deadline for it.

It's from the devlopers of Amnesia, who made THAT game inaccessible if you don't have some specific hardware (videocard), so don't expect much, but there.

Mystvan 28-12-2018 03:54 PM

Thank you. :OK: I also got e-mail from GOG.com about it. :)

twillight 23-01-2019 01:17 PM

Distraint, Delux Edition

48 hours limit

https://www.gog.com/game/distraint_deluxe_edition

Mystvan 23-01-2019 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twillight (Post 483290)

Thanks you for the info! :OK:

Mystvan 14-06-2019 06:58 PM

GOG.com is offering the game named Toonstruck for free for a limited time of 48 hours.

twillight 14-06-2019 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystvan (Post 483742)
GOG.com is offering the game named Toonstruck for free for a limited time of 48 hours.

u got faster this time!

looks like a nice, classic era point&click adventure game I never heared of.

If someone needs a review:

twillight 25-09-2019 05:54 PM

Freespace 2 for 43 more hours

Ok, figured out editing.

So, title.

Mystvan 27-09-2019 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twillight (Post 484179)

Ok, figured out editing.

So, title.

Thanks so much for the information about the free games! :OK:

twillight 11-12-2019 03:18 PM

Wasteland 2 Director's Cut Digital Classic Edition

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystvan (Post 484180)
Thanks so much for the information about the free games! :OK:

Always. Here's a new one: 45.5 hours left.

Mystvan 12-12-2019 11:42 AM

Thank you very much for the informations. :OK: I believe many Users and I are grateful for your various posts throughout the year 2019! :hello:

twillight 16-12-2019 03:16 PM

Postal 2

For 45 more hours here.

Mystvan 17-12-2019 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twillight (Post 484380)

For 45 more hours here.

Thanks again for the info. :OK:

It is a reminder of never forgetting to get a free game, no matter how it is good or not. *shrug*

MuzzyF8 20-12-2019 05:58 PM

First Postal is available for free too if you don't have it in your collection.
https://www.gog.com/game/postal_classic_and_uncut

Mystvan 20-12-2019 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuzzyF8 (Post 484401)

First Postal is available for free too if you don't have it in your collection.
https://www.gog.com/game/postal_classic_and_uncut

Thank you! :) Another game added to my Collection! :OK:

twillight 21-12-2019 05:50 AM

Finaly.

Btw, Postal 1 had a good story. The gameplay, especialy on harder difficulty is most trash, but where it develops is hardcore.
Glad to have it.

twillight 30-12-2019 02:52 PM

Tower of Time, 46+ hours

It looks such a good game (of course, for the last ten I tried thought the same), but seems everyone now switching to 64 bit exclusively :(

LINK

Mystvan 31-12-2019 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twillight (Post 484440)

It looks such a good game (of course, for the last ten I tried thought the same), but seems everyone now switching to 64 bit exclusively :(

LINK

Thanks again! :OK:

twillight 04-02-2020 04:04 AM

The Lords of Midnight and Doomdark’s Revenge

Looks like Might and Magic 1 lookalike retro games of one series, whatever that worth.

LINK

Smiling Spectre 10-02-2020 07:28 AM

Totally different, actually. M&M1 is classical dungeon crawler, with a single party and "dungeon solving". LoM and DR are turn-based role-playing strategies with multiple parties, played from the first person perspective.

twillight 11-02-2020 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre (Post 484572)
Totally different, actually. M&M1 is classical dungeon crawler, with a single party and "dungeon solving". LoM and DR are turn-based role-playing strategies with multiple parties, played from the first person perspective.

Maybe some early Ultima?

Mostly I ment the graphic is crap. CGA monitor crap.

Smiling Spectre 13-02-2020 08:30 AM

Early Ultima is played as open-world roguelikes outside of cities and dungeons, and as Wizardry in the dungeons. :)

LoM is totally unique beast, with it's _giant_ maps and first person view. But it somewhat similar to M&M3, when you are outside of cities. But only if you ignore whole "strategic" and "multi-party" part. And turn-based strategic aspect too. :)

twillight 13-02-2020 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre (Post 484574)
Early Ultima is played as open-world roguelikes outside of cities and dungeons, and as Wizardry in the dungeons. :)

LoM is totally unique beast, with it's _giant_ maps and first person view. But it somewhat similar to M&M3, when you are outside of cities. But only if you ignore whole "strategic" and "multi-party" part. And turn-based strategic aspect too. :)

I ignore EVERYTHING on it seeing the "graphics".

Smiling Spectre 14-02-2020 06:34 PM

Ok. M&M3 then. ;)

twillight 16-03-2020 03:11 PM

The Witcher Goodies Collection

LINK

This time it's not a game, but Witcher-related extras.

DrWho42 20-03-2020 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twillight (Post 484685)
LINK

This time it's not a game, but Witcher-related extras.

NICE! thanks for posting :max:

twillight 20-03-2020 02:15 PM

Mable & The Wood

LINK

An Empowered Female Character with an Obviously Too Heavy Sword show to the Patriarchy or something. It's no New New Warriors, but something, I assume.

twillight 23-03-2020 03:26 PM

Random bonus stuff

LINK

I have no idea why this package exists.
It's mostly various artbooks. what is good because... you can't use them as pictures, because it's pdf?

Well, it's free. Grab it. Because why not. or something.

twillight 27-03-2020 03:48 PM

Random stuff round 2

LINK

Now it's mostly Neverwinter Nights.

twillight 03-04-2020 02:40 PM

SYMMETRY

For 2 days.

It doesn't look good, and is some survival bullshit, but it's free.

DrWho42 06-04-2020 06:16 PM

i'm intrigued! i'll give it a try:OK:

twillight 03-06-2020 04:45 PM

Three free games

LINK

War Wind is a Warcraft 1 clone.

Delores: A Thimbleweed Park Mini-Adventure is some freeware-looking point&click-adventure.

Ascendant is some "roguelike" platformer. "Roguelike" means it sucks, and I don't want it even for free. But you might think otherwise.

twillight 05-06-2020 08:33 PM

Total Annihilation: Commander Pack

40 more hours

twillight 13-06-2020 03:57 AM

Hitman Absolution

For 57 more hours

twillight 17-06-2020 03:03 PM

Upgrade Witcher 3 to Game of the Year edition

I'm not enitrely sure how it works, maybe even if you just buy the plain version on GoG you can immediatelyupp to the hype-version, so there's a good discount on it still if you don't already own it.

Well, I've spoken.

source:

https://www.techspot.com/news/85652-...her-3-gog.html

twillight 18-06-2020 04:18 AM

Eye of the Beholder

35+ more hours

Woah, it's not even 1 game, but the whole trilogy!

twillight 24-06-2020 04:12 PM

Cyberpunk 2077 stuff

Again, not the game, just some extra.
It's mostly concept art, and wallpapers now.

I still prefer these over another game which I'l never play though.

Strelok5590 30-06-2020 06:20 PM

Eh, to say I missed all of these games for free... I was especially thrilled to see Forgotten Realms and War Wind, before seeing the date of the post. :cry: Still, I guess buying them isn't out of the question, they are actually worth the price GOG asks...

twillight 17-07-2020 04:08 PM

WH:40K - Rites of War

I always wanned to have a peek in WH:40K. Here is my (and your) chance:

LINK

Smiling Spectre 20-07-2020 09:39 AM

Doesn't work for me.

twillight 21-07-2020 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre (Post 485032)
Doesn't work for me.

Hm, ye, I might have f*ed up the link.

But if you visit Gog, the giveaways are always on the opening page, and when not, you still get the name of the game from me.

Also, the free-period is usualy 48 hours (minus when I notice and report them), so yesterday it probably expired already. Though luck.

twillight 06-08-2020 03:52 PM

The Witcher

A second time this game is free. For 6 more hours from when I write this.

I think I won't report repeated giveaways.

EricaR 07-08-2020 08:22 AM

Try <some suspicious app> to download paid Android games for free.. (Need root access)

MrFlibble 09-08-2020 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricaR (Post 485072)
Try <some suspicious app> to download paid Android games for free.. (Need root access)

How is this related to the topic of free GOG.com games? Are trying to promote this software?

twillight 10-08-2020 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFlibble (Post 485077)
How is this related to the topic of free GOG.com games? Are trying to promote this software?

I dunno what that app does, but probably the comment should be moved to the not gog, not steam topic:
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=46185
IF it is a legit thing to use.

MrFlibble 11-08-2020 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twillight (Post 485083)
IF it is a legit thing to use.

Doesn't sound exactly legit
Quote:

download paid Android games for free.. (Need root access)

Also, root access? I don't think it's a good idea to allow a third-party app that comes who-knows-from-where and is designed for something that does not seem legal to allow root access to your device.

UDP: I edited out the name of the app, just in case.

twillight 24-08-2020 03:21 PM

Serious Sam: the first encounter

What's this game about?

Well, back then there was Doom, there was Duke Nuk'em, there was Quake and there was Serious Sam!

MrFlibble 24-08-2020 07:27 PM

Except Serious Sam is over five years apart from Duke3D and almost a decade away from Doom. And, it only pretended to have "retro style gameplay of the classic titles while actually having its own way. Don't get me wrong, I like Serious Sam, if only for the Egyptian theme (I actually played more, and probably enjoyed a quite bit more, the Ancient Grome lookalike, Will Rock).

twillight 13-11-2020 04:11 PM

Teleglitch: Die More Edition

Pixelated to the point you have no idea what's happening, "classic", aka. "usless" looking interface, AND it is even rogue-like, meaning there was no level-designing due to lazyness, probably.

But hey, it IS free after all...

I'll definitely try it out. I mean what's to loose?

twillight 18-11-2020 06:55 AM

Butcher

For 6 more hours this pixelated thing too can be yours for free.

Mystvan 27-11-2020 06:56 PM

Thank you for always posting to remind us to get the Free Goodies. Life is so busy and complicated that sometimes we forget about it without realizing it... :no:

Mystvan 27-11-2020 07:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFlibble (Post 485077)

I think it is very risky and illegal to do this on an expensive Device just to get paid games for free. :no: It would be very imprudent. In the case of doing this to recover Data, I would even understand it and is really worth taking risks. :sos:

The advantage of Apple :apple: over Android :borg: :ufoalien: would be to recover data (like True Image for PC) without needing root access.

twillight 05-12-2020 01:34 PM

Witcher 1, enhanced edition

According to this article:
https://www.origo.hu/techbazis/20201...ition-gog.html

you have to install GoG-Galaxym go into the "recent" folder (the basic folder when GoGalaxy starts), and (if you don't own the game yet?) you'll have a banner to click on, which'll ask you to subscribe to the GoG-emails at least for the period you receive the game (then you can unsub).

Btw, GoG's newsletters are not that often, and many times ocntain additional discount options, so it's totaly fine to leave it turned on.

NOTE: I do have to game already from a previous promo, so I cann ot confirm the article, or at least can tell the banner is not there if you already have the game.

twillight 16-12-2020 03:06 PM

Prison Architect

Build your own prison with this.
There is a campaign mode (always important), and a (by the sound of it) promising sandbox mode too.

twillight 22-12-2020 04:10 PM

Brigador: Up-Armored Deluxe

Maybe this was planned all along, or GoG just tries to deal with the Cyberpunk 2077 disaster, but here it is:

LINK

I take this for the audiobook. I had no audiobook before.

twillight 30-12-2020 03:24 PM

Metro: Last Light Redux

For 2 days.
Looks a story-heavy FPD - you decide wether this is a good or bad thing.

Mystvan 04-01-2021 05:18 PM

Thanks. Platforms such GOG.com and Epic have given us a lot to distract us during the Pandemic! :clap:

samui 19-01-2021 05:50 PM

free games are great

twillight 19-02-2021 05:40 PM

Not a free game, but discount-option

I feel, this worth one post.

GoG seems in the recent times gives extra discount options aside what appears on their side for those who are subbed to their newsletter.

These discounts are usualy just 5% extra compared to the currently running discounts, or the usualy running discounts, but that's still an extra bonus, and a good way to call attention to certain games you wouldn't consider otherwise.
Also, if you are lucky, and you want that game from the running deal, this will make it extra cheap :OK:

At least once they did giveaway too through this method too (some "how this was made" behind the scenes featurette/documentary/extra, still like 10 bucks worth stuff).

twillight 30-03-2021 02:57 PM

XIII - 46 hours more

title

Looks like a pseudo-2D, 3D shooter.

Dunno why there is a remake which costs 40+$.

I'll settle with the original for free.

twillight 02-04-2021 03:39 PM

Steel Rats

Some kinda racing game, in concept you also fight enemies too.
It doesn't have good ratings, and have possible control-problems, but hey, check it out before you make an opinion. MAybe you will enjoy it. The charm of free games.

MuzzyF8 03-04-2021 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twillight (Post 485909)
Some kinda racing game, in concept you also fight enemies too.
It doesn't have good ratings, and have possible control-problems, but hey, check it out before you make an opinion. MAybe you will enjoy it. The charm of free games.

Thanks... First time I didn't get any email about this promo on GOG and I remember I saw trailer somewhere and wanted to look at this. Didn't even catched it was already released and now I can have it for free. :D

twillight 30-04-2021 08:55 PM

Tonight We Riot

I think the 'low" ratings here are mostly for not matching the expectations. The game had a big hype with its anti-capitalist, mock-communist setup, but heared it turned out kinda generic.

Well, being the avid fan of Baldies, G.O.L.E.M. and other titles, I can deal with that. The important thing is, it should not crash, and should run without lagging (looking at you Warhammer: Chaosbane!).

twillight 17-05-2021 04:47 PM

Witcher extras

Music videos, backspace docus and language packs as you can see here.

The stuff appears under its separate slot, but not as the newest aquisition. Just search for "witcher", and you'll find the collection.

twillight 28-05-2021 05:07 PM

Samorost 1

It dpesn't seem to be a sale/giveaway campaign, but something that just dropped permanently to the free zone, but getting it as soon as possible never harm.

twillight 01-06-2021 05:01 PM

Janosik

Some C64-era metroidvania garbage, but hey, it's free, so you never gonna know.
Doesn't seem to be on time-limit, but who knows, as it seems to be promoting the newest game coming from the company. Their games definitely improve from the should-be.dead level of pixel-graphic to something decent by the look of it.

I have no idea why so many studios force tehmselves to pixel-garbage nowdays, when it'd be so easily be something smooth and nice, and matching the cover-graphic.

twillight 03-06-2021 05:24 PM

Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat + goodies

I think this is a mid-weekly promotion, aka. lasts until sunday.
The game is crap (well, it's Warhammer), but the music&stuff is accaptable.

Smiling Spectre 08-06-2021 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twillight (Post 486169)
I have no idea why so many studios force tehmselves to pixel-garbage nowdays, when it'd be so easily be something smooth and nice, and matching the cover-graphic.

Oh, I think, answer is easy. If you haven't decent artists in the team, all your smooth pictures will me obviously amateur trash.

But with pixels you always can claim that it was your initial intent, and so they are not rough, but stilized.

twillight 14-06-2021 02:32 PM

Hellpoint

I THINK this game is free only for those who are subbed to GoG's mails. So if you want this, and you don't see it for free, just sub on their newsletter, grab it, then unsub.

Your welcome.

twillight 17-06-2021 01:43 PM

Absolute Drift

Some no-graphic piece of garbage, but let's face it, GoG don't often - aka. never before - gave away racing games.

The only weird thing in this is, they actualy promised Fallout 1, Fallout 2 and even Cyberpunk Unplayable for giveaway.
Seems they changed their mind or something.

But seriously, this Absolute Drift seems like a technical alpha: no skins, no texture, just the core mechanics.

I call bullshit.

EDIT after watching the trailer: Wait, this isn't even a racing game?

kemo 19-06-2021 10:07 PM

To be fair... GOG doesn't really have anything good to offer for "racing" games.

twillight 22-06-2021 07:12 PM

ARMA: Cold War Assault

The newest garbagfire GoG gives away.

Ok, this is kinda harsh. It's probably one of the First Person Shooter games.

You can't fuck up hard with a First Person Shooter Game. Action game? FPS. RPG? FPS. Adventure game? FPS.

EVERYTHING is FPS nowdays, and they are built with some version of the Quake-engine, so they all give me motion-sickness, so fuck'em.

kemo 22-06-2021 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twillight (Post 486217)
The newest garbagfire GoG gives away.

Ok, this is kinda harsh. It's probably one of the First Person Shooter games.

I'm kind of confused... are you talking about an id Software game, or are you talking about ARMA: Cold War Assault? There have been lots of FPS games released between Wolfenstein 3D and ARMA: Cold War Assault, so I'm not sure what you mean by "one of the First Person Shooter games".

twillight 23-06-2021 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kemo (Post 486218)
I'm kind of confused... are you talking about an id Software game, or are you talking about ARMA: Cold War Assault? There have been lots of FPS games released between Wolfenstein 3D and ARMA: Cold War Assault, so I'm not sure what you mean by "one of the First Person Shooter games".

A:CWA is a first person shooter.
There were sooo many FPS since the dawn of time, it's hard to find the difference between two nowdays, as all of them look and work the same. And everything is FPS, independently from genre. Obviously because it is cheap to make, no idea needed, no story needed, you just put on some new skins, and voila, can go to the shelves.

kemo 23-06-2021 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twillight (Post 486219)
Obviously because it is cheap to make, no idea needed, no story needed, you just put on some new skins, and voila, can go to the shelves.

Sounds like a lot of RPGs.

twillight 23-06-2021 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kemo (Post 486221)
Sounds like a lot of RPGs.

RPGs hang on the story.
Or should be. Of course if you just make an FPS, and your RPG is as much rpg as eg. Diablo... Then you don't have an rpg, you just shoot stuff.

twillight 25-06-2021 03:25 PM

Shadowrun

"Triogy". Whatever that means.

What's with the Shadowrun franchise anyway?

They had books for a time... And a p&p rpg where we always started with a shitload of money, because what else, this resulted everyone having the same character, easily optimised...

So this games any good?

And from the other side, doesn't the whole pack cost, like a bunch of money? Ok, I wouldn't buy these, but that's not the point, ok?

Smiling Spectre 27-06-2021 10:38 AM

First part, Shadowrun Returns, tried to be turn-based tactics with light RPG progression ("light" in terms of "no much happens aside of battle, and no much to select). Plot mostly suit to glue tactics together. Mostly good game, even if somewhat boring in the second part. Must be better, if you are very fond of tactics.

Second part, Dragonfall, hit the sweet spot for me. It's equally divided for non-combat and combat RPG: some encounters can be battles, or can be avoided, your stats influence chatting, and there are quite a lot of chatting. So what is "good RPG with tactical battles" for me. Highly recommended.

Third part, Hong Kong, in some sense is a mirror copy of Returns. It reverse tactical/RPG scale: now it is heavy-chatting RPG with some tactical battles thrown for good measure (and you can avoid most of battles if chat right). Can be boring in the second part of game, but can be enjoyable, if you like heavy reading.

P.S. Also, if it can be recommendation: Shadowrun games made by Harebrained games, that consisted from the old creators of the Shadowrun and Battletech franchises.

twillight 14-07-2021 07:14 PM

Syberia 1 + 2

I heared the story was good for its time, but the controls are really clunky. Or was that just for the first one, and the second was trashi n general?

Either way, some 60+ hours to pick 'em up.

I wonder why they never give away something like Might and Magic 9, or one of the early Diablo clones...
Well, those later games don't even work on win 10, meaning they won't work at all, but ... uhm ... Nevermind.

twillight 30-07-2021 05:56 PM

Wanderlust: Transsiberian

67+ more hours.

It looks like an e-gamebook, and not a very action-packed one, but who knows, and it's free.

twillight 08-08-2021 04:32 PM

Ultima Underworld 1-2, Syndiate Wars/Plus

LINK

No idea why on 27 days limit.

twillight 02-10-2021 07:48 PM

There are some more free games in the free-games section I was not aware of (maybe because Gog added them without advertising them).

I'll keep skipping Lure of the Temptress (long since on the list), and that roguelike platformer, but otherwise why not.

twillight 30-10-2021 02:42 PM

Dagon: by H. P. Lovecraft

I dunno what happened with this game, maybe sales were not good, the company might even file for bankrupcy, but this somehow looks went to the free-bin in just one month.
Well, good for me.

EDIT: It might be, they plan on getting income from DLCs. There is already one, another is "coming soon".

DrWho42 30-10-2021 06:34 PM

oh huh! i did not know there was a dagon game

twillight 10-11-2021 11:35 PM

SteamWorld Dig 2

17 more hours.
I have no idea wh the weird time-limit, it used to be 48 hours.

twillight 13-11-2021 07:33 AM

Outcast

Looks real bad, but list is a list.

twillight 03-12-2021 07:33 AM

Crime City

This is a strange giveaway, given there is no appearant time-limit.
Looks like an extremly generic, and not good ... they said it is a shooter.

twillight 10-12-2021 10:53 AM

Cave Story®'s Secret Santa

Looks better than the average stuff. And for being free, I'll let the pixelgraphic pass this time.

twillight 13-12-2021 05:27 PM

The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos (requires Gothic 2)

So, this is some DLC for Gothic 2. Actualy, all the main features are packed into this "expansion". That sounds shady.
But I see no time-limit if you care.

twillight 13-12-2021 05:29 PM

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

I don't know what this is. Maybe some Jagged Aliance-wannabe.
There is a time limit of 2 days.
The additional text as far as I can tell is just GoG's normal promo-emails, so no fuss picking it if you want it.

twillight 23-12-2021 01:38 PM

I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream

I dunno how good or bad this game is.
I know the story-background: only 2 superpower remained, both developed their own AI to fight their war, the two AI met, merged, and ended up in the paradoxical state of the obligation of extrermination, and the obligation to make humans win. This resulted in an eternal war, where the AI won, but because of its core program kept the war going on by torturing the remaining humans.
The event of the short story (and the game) is, the selected few humans escape, and try to commit suicide. The result is, only a single human remained. The option of complaint is even taken away - hence the title, "I have no mouth, and I must scream".

Definitely not for the faint of heart, not for those looking for action, or even a win. Avoid if you feel depression.

I have no idea why this game is on giveaway on X-mass.

twillight 27-12-2021 01:27 PM

X-Morph: Defense Complete Edition

This is some crappy tower-defense game which eats waaay too much memory for its own good, and you could play these for absolutely free when flashgames were still around.
No wonder they killed Flash, it was good for the poor people.

twillight 03-01-2022 05:36 PM

Iratus: Lord of the Dead

This is a Darkest Dungeon clone, with possibly no madness-effect which just overcpmlicates things.
Instead this is a roguelike which offers you no unlimited battles, so it kills the tension anyway.

Seriously, if you did a wrong decision at the start, you won't be able to finish the game!
Who likes that?!?

kemo 22-01-2022 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twillight (Post 486377)
This is some crappy tower-defense game which eats waaay too much memory for its own good, and you could play these for absolutely free when flashgames were still around.
No wonder they killed Flash, it was good for the poor people.

Flash was put to rest largely because of all of the security flaws inherent with it (quite serious ones, too).

DrWho42 23-01-2022 05:59 AM

i might play space quest i sometime soon?

twillight 25-01-2022 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kemo (Post 486393)
Flash was put to rest largely because of all of the security flaws inherent with it (quite serious ones, too).

Yeah. Sure. "Because of security reasons." It is for your own good, they said. Someone please thinnk about the children, they said.

twillight 03-04-2022 09:25 AM

Hm, someone deleted my post?

The Fifth Horseman 04-04-2022 06:10 AM

No, the entire state of the forum and website was rolled back by about two weeks. This was an (unsuccessful) attempt to get rid of the spam popups that someone injected into the main site.

kemo 10-04-2022 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twillight (Post 486395)
Yeah. Sure. "Because of security reasons." It is for your own good, they said. Someone please thinnk about the children, they said.

Indeed it is... similar to a website that might not be secure and inadvertently allows attackers to push malicious popups to its visitors.

twillight 16-04-2022 08:13 AM

Iris and the Giant

Quote:

Originally Posted by kemo (Post 486429)
Indeed it is... similar to a website that might not be secure and inadvertently allows attackers to push malicious popups to its visitors.

Except, it is BS. Simply the free casual gaming without microtransaction was too successful, and had to be broken.

-------------

Otherwise: title. Like for 28 more hours. Here is some depression for you to celebrate, said GoG again.

twillight 02-06-2022 12:07 PM

Warhammer stuff

The bundle includes WH:Chaos Gate, and a bunch of extra material.

They really went over to hide the fact there is a free game included.

Until June 8th, 5 PM UTC.

twillight 03-06-2022 08:45 PM

Children of Morta extras

I wouldn't normaly care, especialy to make a note here, but there was a time Il iked this game.

LINK

twillight 06-06-2022 03:33 PM

Sanitarium

Free for 2 days.
I played it once, some kinda adventure-game with surreal elements. It's ok for a while, then the endgame becomes either boring, or overly comlicated, but worth grabbing it and check how the past was.

twillight 10-06-2022 06:52 PM

Venetica

Don't know what this is about, nor do I care for the moment.

twillight 13-06-2022 02:06 PM

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

I don't get why the gameplay has pixelgraphic when they clearly could do better.

The usual 2 day limit.

twillight 17-06-2022 05:33 PM

Beautiful Desolation

My suspicion goes this is some Myst-clone crap.

twillight 20-06-2022 06:09 PM

Flashback

That is the actual title of it. Look like some weird platformer, that was programmed into flash, but somehow not flash, imitating disney-platformers, but with Duke Nukem guns.

twillight 24-06-2022 03:41 PM

VirtuaVerse

Maybe it's not horrible.

twillight 22-08-2022 02:51 PM

STASIS

This game is related to CAYNE, which is permanently free prequel/demo dfor this game, so just for completion you should get this.
Otherwise, the mechanics in CAYNE were fine, but the story made no sense, maybe because it relied too much on the core game, or because the writing was simply bad. Let's hope the best though.

twillight 24-08-2022 09:06 AM

Dink Smallwood

Permanently free, so this isn't a giveaway. Not sure if it was worth waiting for it this long to put in the catalogue.

Oh two tips when playing:
- you MUST buy the first bow. None says this, nothing indicates it, but your progress will get a hard stop if you don't buy it.
- bows are waaay to expensive, even if you don't buy anything else, on top of it their mechanics suck too. So I don't see why don't even give out an achievement for buying the final bow or something, otherwise none will do that, and that's fact.

twillight 29-08-2022 06:31 PM

Lovecraft's Untold Stories

From a review: "There is a reason why these stories were untold."

LINK

twillight 02-09-2022 02:25 PM

Immortal Redneck

Some kinda FPS, what means I can't play it.

twillight 29-09-2022 02:18 PM

Master of Magic Classic

Doesn't look very impressive, and a video would actualy help wth this is about.

twillight 27-10-2022 06:26 PM

Genesis Alpha One Deluxe Edition

Call it "Deluxe Edition", it is just one more generic FPS from the conveyor belt.

Give me Nox finaly.
Put the new Monkey Island in the shop.
Not this.

twillight 31-10-2022 04:49 PM

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 Collection

Oh, the terrible neon colours!

Kelbert 03-11-2022 07:59 AM

Cool - thanks!

twillight 28-11-2022 09:30 PM

Keeping track

So, there was while abandonia was under maintenance giveway for Terroir. A game so unworthy-looking, I didn't even claim it.

I'm still putting it here for archive-reasons, and to put here a more important news:

After me whining on GoG for them not even announcing a Game Of The Decade, namely Return To Monkey Island, they "somehow" asap put it on "soon", and it is now already out there!
Double good news, the initial discount will remain the 5th of December, which means a lot of people will get their paycheck in time to buy it at the last minute!

twillight 06-12-2022 08:37 PM

Knights of Honor II - Goodie Pack

Well, it's a goodie-pack. I'd like these in theory, only if they would have something good-looking. Or music. Or something worth the space.

twillight 13-12-2022 08:23 AM

Ghost of a Tale

This is something I wanned to try. the reviews are not very encouraging, but I assume it is some Myst-wannabe, so the gameplay shouldn't really matter?

twillight 16-12-2022 04:50 PM

King of Seas

Looks decent.
But do we play decent games anymore?

twillight 19-12-2022 05:52 PM

Broken Sword: Director's Cut

If you don't have it already.
It's a good game, maybe the second was a bit better.

twillight 23-12-2022 05:59 PM

Greak: Memories of Azur

This thing actualy looks great.
I'm not rly into metroidvania, but sure looks promising.

twillight 27-12-2022 05:51 PM

Worms Revolution Gold Edition

I can't tell if there's much difference between two Worms-title, so one of the titles can be enough.
The story-mode has waaay to many levels to reach the end though if you ask me, at least in the game I played (which was not this one).

twillight 31-12-2022 07:24 PM

Daymare: 1998

Some kinda Resident Evil clone.
It might not be the real deal, but when it's free you can't really complaint just for that.

twillight 20-01-2023 02:42 PM

Haven Park

Dunno what's this new trend combining managerial with RPG, but maybe they create ok sandbox games.

twillight 15-02-2023 02:19 PM

Alien Breed Trilogy

Some kinda Aliens-wannabe, but given no gamplay video is attached to the store-page, can't decide what this is: somme TPS? tactical group-thing like X-com? Can't decide by the attached pictures. Marketing did not done a proper job with this one.
I suggest looking up gameplay on youtube before picking this uőp, even if it's free.

twillight 17-02-2023 04:00 PM

Biing!: Sex, Intrigue and Scalpels

I have no idea, seems like a managerial FMV-game, which teases you it could have been an arcade shooter (flying left to right in a tunnel).
Sounds like there's a joke somewhere, the main appeal can be it is GoG-exclusive.

twillight 06-03-2023 01:33 PM

Figment

Looks fine. Cheery, children-friendly.

twillight 20-03-2023 04:45 PM

Lorelai

It says "action", while looks like a very woman-oriented point&click game. Hm.

twillight 24-03-2023 05:50 PM

Neurodeck: Psychological Deckbuilder

One of those randomised deckbuilder games.
I hate roguelike with a passion, as it only means you'll meet the lvl 10 boss on lvl 3, guaranteed, and your reward of accomplishment is, that you can restart the game with less life, less power, and we cut off your hands and legs in real life too (I'm seeing you, Binding of Isaac, i'm seeing you).

twillight 01-04-2023 09:31 AM

While the site was down, they gave away Alwa's Awakening, a classic-stly platformer.

Thisa time they are giving Deep Sky Derelicts: Station Life, another (failed) roguelike deckbuilder. I don't say these are bad, but they obviously did not sell. time to wake up, gaming indusrty-developer side: roguelike is not a good concept. It can work, but the mayority of time it doesn't.

twillight 29-04-2023 07:29 AM

Under The Moon

"Puzzle/Adventure"
Certainly not the graphic what sells it.

twillight 12-06-2023 11:02 AM

Sunblaze

Some simple-looking ouzzle-platformer-thingy, kinda old-style. Looks good.

twillight 20-06-2023 11:45 AM

Eschalon: Book II

Looks a bit old and clunky, but could be worse. Could be team-based.
Also, Book 1 is amongst the free games, so you don't have to worry that much about this being Book 2.
I have no idea how these are structured though, but either way, there is a Book 3, which is either the ending, or you know, ending of the overarching storyline, which'd be better. Anyway, that kind of giveaway can generate profit even on giving away free stuff, so I appreciate the ffort.
Some gameplay video sample had been nice right on the GoG-page though. Youtube will have some of course, but ya know, people r lazy.

twillight 29-06-2023 07:05 AM

Ancient Enemy

For some reason the banner is in another castle, but here is the direct link.

this is a Solitair-reimagining. Good old solitair-rules with a couple of extra removal-options introduced, and each map has a different card-layout.
It is pretty fun actualy, for solitair-lovers, or casual players in general. You spend like 5 min doing a level, and you're fine. Or get serious with it, turn on the hard mode, and overthink everything spending 20-30 minute on layout :D

Seriously, this is a good one.

twillight 01-07-2023 06:27 AM

Beholder 2

Something, something, managerial.

twillight 16-07-2023 07:55 PM

The Whisperer

LINK
Sometimes it feels GoG is trying to hide its giveaways.
Not sure how long this'll last, as this isn't even the usual way they make giveaways.

That aside, the game looks like typical walking-simulator horror game, and such title I don't have in my library yet, so I thought why not.

Nyrans2000 25-07-2023 11:54 AM

physiotherapy clinic aylesbury

If you have been suffering from a neurological condition and are looking for a reliable and effective physiotherapy clinic aylesbury , then look no further than Physio Healing Hands.Our fully trained and experienced physiotherapists are passionate about their work and create a friendly and welcoming environment that helps people get back to enjoying life.

twillight 29-08-2023 06:31 AM

Hero of the Kingdom II

I can't decide if someone took Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and transformed it to an ... adventure game? Farming simulator? Trading game?
It looks slooow.

twillight 02-09-2023 05:58 AM

King's Bounty: The Legend

Dunno. Looks like substitute for Baldur's Gate 3. But who wants a substitute?

twillight 05-09-2023 09:54 PM

Ghost Master

It's one of those team-managerial thingy, you see you recognise, I bet.
Did not produce good numbers, but on giveaway it might worth a look.

twillight 10-09-2023 07:07 AM

Requiem: Avenging Angel

A good, somewhat original first person shooter.
Besides running around shooting down targets, you also gain special (magic) powers, like possession, or locusts (what is a fire-and-forget damage-over-tme thing).
It's a bit low on the frame per second (meaning computer sickness is possible), though still somewhat better than Doom and Quake, and the amount of ammo and enemies are well measured (meaning they give a reasonable amount for the average player, but that also means at times you'll see your quantities get close to zero - this is intentional), plus there's no creasy sommersaulting enemies, like in Quake.
It has a top-notch story for its time too.
The only negative I can recall is, I could never legitimately beat the boss.

twillight 23-09-2023 07:43 AM

The Night of the Rabbit

Some old-school point&click adventure game.
People said it's a bit too much walking around or something, I say it looks good enough to pay a couple bucks even for it.

twillight 30-09-2023 06:32 AM

Trüberbrook

Looks like some german point&click game. You can't rly go wrong with a point&click adventure game if you ask me. It has some paralell dimension running, like in Fringe. Fortunately this is not some wWII era game, though needs closer inspection what it is.

twillight 27-10-2023 06:16 PM

Blacksad: Under the Skin

Looks like some Batman-parody, but the game's page tells practicaly nothing of the gameplay.
From THIS video it seems there are quick time events for dialogue, "pixel hunting" for clues, and some interface you mess with the found clues.
If you are into the gamestyle, sure, otherwise maybe skip?

The current time is 08:17 AM (GMT)