Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Gaming Zone (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=28461)

verek_22 16-03-2012 01:01 AM

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Quote from website:

Quote:

Atari, Wizards of the Coast, and Overhaul Games are pleased to announce work has begun on the Enhanced Edition of Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II.

Since its initial release in 1998, Baldur’s Gate has entertained millions of fans around the globe, and has received countless awards. This classic saga of mystery, intrigue, and adventure has set the standard for Dungeons & Dragons® computer roleplaying games ever since.

Overhaul Games has assembled a talented team of artists, programmers and designers to enhance this timeless classic. To remain true to the spirit of the game, the team includes original Baldur’s Gate developers.

Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™ and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition™ will feature a re-forged version of the Infinity Engine with a variety of modern improvements.
Official announcement here.

Baldur's Gate Enhanced! From what I can tell from the offical website and this Joystiq article, it's going to run on an updated version of the Infinity engine, and contain "new, original content", as well as the stuff that was in the original to begin with.

DarthHelmet86 16-03-2012 03:02 AM

Very interesting, I wouldn't mind playing the game again all prettied up. I would really like it switched over to the 3.5 ruleset cause that is the rules I prefer. But I would imagine that would cause a fit in a few people so I am happy with it staying 2nd edition.

I shall try and keep an eye on this.

Eagle of Fire 16-03-2012 03:07 AM

Well actually it would also require a completely rewrite of the game, probably in the code too. Rules between 2nd and 3rd edition are very different.

DarthHelmet86 16-03-2012 03:12 AM

You don't say EoF, very different huh I could never have known :perv:. It would seem they are doing a pretty hefty rewrite of most of the code anyway, they are putting it on a new engine so they would need to play with the code a bit I would think at least.

Joking aside I understand why making it 3rd edition would be hard, I just think the ruleset works better and is easier for people to play with if they haven't played D&D before. On another note if this works really well, I wonder if there could be a chance of getting a Ravenloft infinity engine game, cause that would blow my mind.

Halindir 16-03-2012 01:33 PM

If they change the music, just the slightest bit, I'll rip out their skulls..except if Michael Hoenig will be composing.

But this is some good good news :3

TheChosen 16-03-2012 02:34 PM

I was skeptical first, but then I read its gonna be more than just your average HD-facelift. Goody.

Capo 16-03-2012 03:20 PM

Very disappointing.

Tomekk 16-03-2012 08:50 PM

Make the Sword Coast an open-ended world and keep the old soundtrack and art style. Then I'll be a happy kiddie. :3:

PS: And add drows.

Scatty 16-03-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halindir (Post 440608)
If they change the music, just the slightest bit, I'll rip out their skulls..except if Michael Hoenig will be composing.

But this is some good good news :3

If they transform the original Baldur's Gate series into some 3D graphics Neverwinter Nights or Dragon Age clone, with uninspired content just made for "squeezing that little bit of money once again out of the shining legend", I'm gonna shove it up their arse and forget it ever existed.
It does look interesting though, so I'll keep an open mind and stay informed on the news.

verek_22 16-03-2012 10:07 PM

More news!

Some important quotes from the article:

Quote:

The game is being built on the "Infinity Advanced" engine based on the last Throne of Bhaal build, meaning that all the enhancements from that game will be included in this one. It will be a digital-only release through Beamdog, although the studio is "putting some thought into" a Steam release as well, and while it's currently a PC exclusive, Oster hinted that other platforms could be announced next week. The studio is "trying hard not to break mods" and at this point the save game formats are the same, so you might even be able to make use of those old saves you've kept lying around for the past decade. You still have those, right?
Quote:

Imports from BG1 to BG2 will be supported, controllers will not be supported - this is mouse-and-keyboard only, as it should be - and if you want a truly authentic BioWare experience you can play with just the original content and ignore all the new stuff.
Quote:

All the important bits will remain untouched. All the original voice files are in the game, so everyone will sound like they're supposed to, and the game will be entirely isometric 2D. It will also continue to make use of the 2nd edition ruleset, as the original Baldur's Gate games did, and the music is being left as-is because it's already so epic.

The current time is 04:23 PM (GMT)