Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Community News & Feedback (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Cellar thoughts. (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=27126)

Geezer 28-05-2011 12:11 AM

Cellar thoughts.

Now that the ISO cellar is open to all, does it make sense to host reviews, screen shots and extras for those games? We could probably garner more interest from people willing to do reviews, screen shots, box shots etc for some of the newer games on the site. There are some games on there that I have never played. I think it would be a nice touch to have a game page for them when someone is willing to put in the work. Just a thought.

I have quite a lot of games that I could contribute to the ISO cellar. What seems to be the best file hosting site these days?

Ermuli 28-05-2011 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geezer (Post 427770)
What seems to be the best file hosting site these days?

Definitely NOT 4shared! :sucks:

Luchsen 28-05-2011 07:58 AM

One can write reviews, make screenshots and upload extras for ISO Cellar games since the ISO Cellar is up. They would be added to the respective ISO Cellar thread. If you want to have game entries on the main site, I would be all for it - if we made a button GET IT AT A FILEHOST! and if we could guarantee that the files are downloadable. The latter isn't possible or rather would involve a lot of work we can't provide - at least permanently. :(

Lulu_Jane 28-05-2011 09:41 AM

Is it possible that a paid file hosting account could handle the traffic? Paid for in the send of one individuals account, not a commercial one.

Lulu_Jane 28-05-2011 09:45 AM

Idea 2: Torrents?

Finn MacCool 28-05-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luchsen (Post 427783)
One can write reviews, make screenshots and upload extras for ISO Cellar games since the ISO Cellar is up. They would be added to the respective ISO Cellar thread. If you want to have game entries on the main site, I would be all for it - if we made a button GET IT AT A FILEHOST! and if we could guarantee that the files are downloadable. The latter isn't possible or rather would involve a lot of work we can't provide - at least permanently. :(

wouldn't it suffice to integrate a "report missing/broken download" option?
that would leave us only with the work of reuploading the stuff.

arete 28-05-2011 01:56 PM

I'd like a 'submit a review' page with captcha. We can prioritise reviews for approved games in the iso cellar over sold games, for instance. But we can start accepting all reviews for all games, and archiving them. We already have reviews in Community Reviews for a lot of these games. And then we need extra updater trainees. We need a greater incentive scheme, people. But what possible incentives can we use? VGA style medals and more interesting ranks?

Tracker 28-05-2011 03:57 PM

There are two things I'd like to say about this:

1. The idea of setting up AB's torrent trackers simply sounds beautiful, Lulu. Seriously, that option seems to be quite good, the only problem is, there had to be seeders in order to provide downloads, but we might monitor the traffic and reward those who seed a lot, if it's technically possible.

2. Incentives, arete? I had been working for a handful of pixels for more than a year now, so I know what they mean. More interesting ranks? Maybe. What would be the best I think would be a 'Hall of Fame', where we could list those who contributed to the site the most, and maybe we could start some kind of 'User of the Month' contest or something, so even the new folks would feel they can still do something useful along with our updatergods. Their reward would be an 'Official News' posted on the main site praising their holy blessed superskills and such.

P.S.: Is there any kind of scheme for PoE rewards? I mean, a list which lists how much you get for a review/upload/screenshot etc?

Lulu_Jane 28-05-2011 04:15 PM

Actually, torrents aren't my idea, they've been brought up by other users in the past, but now could be a great time to look seriously into it again :)

EDIT: Also, I am really up for the idea of celebrating user/member accomplishments via frontpage newsposts. I think it's a great way to foster community spirit, and it's way more of a tangible reward than poe's. Besides, I'd have a heap of fun writing them :D

arete 28-05-2011 05:04 PM

We used to have a lady at our church who would say, "He who gets the vision gets the job." To the Bulumobile! (Now with new added raptor scent.)

The current time is 09:30 PM (GMT)