Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Uncharted Waters 2 - New Horizons (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=1171)

Maikel 06-11-2004 07:02 PM

Uncharted Waters 2 - New Horizons

Discuss this game....or else..

Review and Download (if available)

Tom Henrik 06-11-2004 07:20 PM

:blink: :eeeeeh:

Breaker of traditions! :ranting: :D

FreeFreddy 06-11-2004 07:24 PM

Hey, see it positive. Traditions are there to be broken. They stay the same, but the time continues. And if we don't go in one way with time, we'll fall back and be forgotten in the dust of the old days. :whistle: ;)
Well, ok, after that small philosophical side jump, let me tell you that the game looks interesting. Similar to Pirates! Gold, especially with the ships moving and like. Perhaps I should try this one out. :D

Sebatianos 06-11-2004 07:38 PM

Looks like a mix of Pirates!, Merchant Prince and a REAL CLASSIC - 7 cities of gold!
Must play, must play, must play, must play, must... you get the idea!

Kon-Tiki 06-11-2004 08:16 PM

Nope, this one's cooler than Pirates. First of all, you can choose which character you play, and depending on that, you have different goals (not necessarily become a pirate) and people treat you differently. It's also one cheesy easy game to hack the savegames from. One hex editor and a piece of paper to write your values down onto's all you need. Got to love this little bugger :ok:

Dream 06-11-2004 08:34 PM

Aye it's pretty good game but it always seemed a bit hard to me, I got sunk in america by storm or because I couldn't find port quite often.

Anyway my favourite was always that cartographer, friend of mercator who just sails around and makes charts.

Havell 06-11-2004 08:49 PM

Wow! This game looks exellent! Downloading as we speak!

Kon-Tiki 06-11-2004 08:50 PM

That's why I love its ease to brute-force hack it.

Havell 06-11-2004 08:55 PM

What file do you run to start the game? I tried Main.exe and Open.exe but they didn't work.

EDIT: Figured it out, the file you want is KOIE.COM

Dream 06-11-2004 09:20 PM

And by the way, when merchant asks wheter price is acceptable you can try to haggle with him, but for that your main hero must have stats high enough, altought even with simple cartographer who can just make maps I managed to haggle price down at least even by single piece of gold.

Naturally there are some smarter characters who can in one month save amount of money by which you could pay your crew on whole month. (Joao for example)

mouse31e 06-11-2004 10:08 PM

I like this... It's good fun! :D

However, might just be me and my computer but I can't get it started at all in DosBox. If I use KOIE.COM I get a string of error messages and DosBox crashes. Anything else, as has already been pointed out, doesn't work.

If I just run it in XP it seems to be ok, but it still has a tendency to crash and I'm having to save a lot so I don't lose the game.

Anyone else having this problem? Any tips anyone? :help:

Havell 06-11-2004 11:09 PM

How do you save the game? I do quite well for a while but then I do something stupid (like hiring a crew and then instantly firing them all by accident 5 seconds after paying them) and it would be nice to load the game after one of these **** ups.

mouse31e 06-11-2004 11:43 PM

It's in the bottom tab on the right hand side of the game windows. Can't remember off the top of my head what the tab is called but its definately the bottom one! :D

not sure that made sense but hopefully you can decipher it! :crazy:

Dream 07-11-2004 08:03 AM

IIRC you click on navigation then go to options and there you can save,

Game works fine for me, do you have dosbox 0.62?

mouse31e 07-11-2004 08:15 AM

No, I'm using .61 cos I can't get .62 to run in fullscreen at the moment! :blink:

It's plays fine in XP but it tends to crash fairly regularly so as long as I save all the time it's ok!

Dream 07-11-2004 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mouse31e@Nov 7 2004, 09:15 AM
No, I'm using .61 cos I can't get .62 to run in fullscreen at the moment! :blink:

It's plays fine in XP but it tends to crash fairly regularly so as long as I save all the time it's ok!

alt+enter will run game in fullscreen.

mouse31e 07-11-2004 11:40 AM

I know that, but my monitor switches off if I do it! :blink:
The refresh rate is wrong but I haven't managed to find the right one yet.
SInce 0.61 works fine at present (except for this game) I'm not too worried! :D

corsair 25-01-2005 10:42 PM

Itīs a really funny game, but I donīt know how to enter a village, after I find one. How I must do?

blazer-glory 29-01-2005 11:24 PM

I loaded this game in and noticed the graphics look like they been produced on a coloured dot matrix printer. Is this right or is my display set up wrong?

blazer-glory 04-02-2005 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by corsair@Jan 25 2005, 11:42 PM
Itīs a really funny game, but I donīt know how to enter a village, after I find one. How I must do?
Just click on one of the buttons and you should get some icons come up. Select the anchor icon then select where you want to land. Thats it. ;)

Sammo 08-02-2005 03:18 PM

Wonderful game: played it a lot.

But actually I think the Genesis version is much better, from a graphical point of view anyway.
I just love Koei games - even if in this one the gazillion of characters are not very different from each other...but I loved some nice touches as the unlucky sailor, Dante I think, who ends up dead almost in every game I play! ;).

You are free to do almost everything, even if there's a time limit.

A superb game, anyway: sorry for my crappy English, but I just HAD to say it. :ok:

maxmallone 11-02-2005 05:26 PM

first of all thanks for the game...
really satisfying game...you could just wander around aimlessly or do some privateering or be a duke to your empire..i mean your king's.
i'm playing as Ali the orphan from Turkey. just started playing it...
i found out that you can make quite alot of gold by gambling all the money i raised from the townfolks rather than to trade...made 5 gold ingots in two days three nights of gambling. blackjack ofcourse!
found out that you could buy neat things at the items shop at 2 am,things that arent there in normal hours...
one way to survive a storm is to stock up on balm an item you can buy .use it when a strom hits u..
my trade are: carpet from istanbul - art from athens loads of gold to be made before going off to explore NEW HORIZONs ...ciao .i welcome questions

again thanks for the game ! been looking for this type of game for quite some time. :kosta:

Guest 11-02-2005 06:32 PM

Yes, anywhere from 2 o'clock at night to 2:40 will do for the special shop items.

There are even better trading routes than Athens-Istanbul, but that's indeed an easy and quite swift one, provided you don't use it too often with too many ships, or you'll destroy its balance for some time.
Unbalancing the right trade routes though takes quite some effort, but can you gain huge amounts of gold in no time.

My-Q 03-03-2005 03:14 AM

The best trade route is Athens (Art) - Istanbul (Carpet).. it's similar to the UW1, where the best trade route is actually very close to each other (naples - pisa i believe in the 1st game). And also there're 2 ports that can make the Full-Rigged Ship (aka the ultimate ship).. one is antwerp, the other is in hamburg. Also, i know that there's some place that offers ultimate ship guns.. even better than cannons.. it has the power of cannons, and range of culverin.. i don't remember the exact name, i think it's carronades or something. Does anyone have infos on this guns whereabouts? Thanks :D

Harleqwyn 03-03-2005 04:27 AM

Carronades is correct. If the ports' industries are invested close or equal to 1000, then the carronades should be available (same goes for the full-rigged ship) from Antwerp and Hamburg as well. Full-rigged ships are good, but there are also tekkousens from Japan which can carry less guns and cargo than a full-rigged ship, but have better tacking and power, so are perhaps better for trading, especially if one is rushing to capitalise on a tax-free permit.

another_guest 03-03-2005 12:50 PM

In order to be offered carronades (and special figureheads like a goddess), doesn't your luck have to be pretty high? At least that's my experience. Luck can be influenced by donations to the church. Only the percentage of your money you donate counts, not the actual amount of money. Therefore, load your ships with something valuable (gold for example), so your cash is really low. In the end you'll have donated really small amounts of money to get the same rise in good fortune.
Fortune tellers can give you an idea of how lucky you are at the moment (sounds logical :D )

Tekkousens are faster than full-rigged ships. That's why I prefer tekk's for trading, while full-rigged are the ultimate choice to build a battle fleet.

While the Athens-Istanbul is the best short route to make a good profit, unbalancing trade routes like Madeira - Genoa or Madeira - ?? (either in Northern Germany or in Denmark; this port gives you silver, forgot its name, it might have been Lübeck, this port pays most for gold) is a lot more profitable. I got this idea from an FAQ I once read, so I don't claim any originality.
It works like this: by selling and buying small amounts at a time, you can rise or lower a port's price level at will (between 50 and 150%). Buy gold at 50% in some African port, then travel to Europe and sell it at 150%. It's a little tedious to buy or sell small amounts so many times in a row (to influence the price level), but you can make several millions in one haul this way. You have to start with quite some capital though, for example when you've worn out the Athens-Istanbul route.

Also, don't forget appointing a good book keeper, he'll be able to give you considerable discounts when you're buying goods and ships. Never agree on the price a trader or ship builder is proposing. However, it has to be a GOOD book keeper (with accounting skills): if you offer a ship builder too little, he'll kick you out, and it takes a while before you can buy ships there again.

A final tip (probably only useful for starting players, it's not like I'm telling something miraculous here): if you can get your hands on some of the best weapons and armor in the game, and your character is good at fighting, picking a duel with the enemy captain can be the fastest and cheapest way to win a battle. However, don't try this with weapons that are just good, you'll better get some that are rare (in other words, that you'll only find between 2 and 2.40 am in one particular port). Read which weapon is good for which type of attack, so you can deal the most damage during battle. Sounds stupidly simple, but it's so easy to ignore the weapon info you get when buying it :D

My-Q 03-03-2005 03:21 PM

Yeah.. the special stuff always needs luck :D
I don't quite understand about the percentage stuff for donation. You said that any "money" in form of goods doesn't count as "actual money" right? How about money in bank.. does it count?

another_guest 03-03-2005 04:35 PM

If it comes to donations, the game will ignore anything on your bank account: when asked how much you want to donate, the maximum you can give is your cash on hand (= ingots + gold pieces). I once found a site where someone had actually figured out the whole donation calculation. I only remember his conclusion, thatg giving just over 50% of your cash on hand, has the greatest effect on your luck.

Example: you've got a bank account of 60000, and 2 million gold in ingots. What you should do, is put as much money as you can onto your bank account or use it to buy goods. Suppose you've got only 1000 gold left after that.
If you then donate 501 gold, that will have the same effect as when you would have donated 1002000 from your 2 million.
Then, from the remaining 499 gold, donate 250, and so on.
In the end you will have donated a lot of times, but in fact lost only 1000 gold.

That same FAQ also mentioned you should invest 50000 into that city's economy (goods trader) and 50000 into its industry (ship yard) to have a chance of getting carronades, even if their economy and industry is already at 1000.
And then you've still only got a chance of being offered those specialties, it's not guaranteed. But I've used that method often, and after trying a few times it always worked.

My-Q 08-03-2005 07:27 AM

Thank you for your explanation another_guest.. it really helps :ok:

Anyway, does anyone knows how to edit the money in this game? Which file contains the savegame, which number represent the money? I know for sure that the hero's data is put quite close with his name. Anyone can help me here? Thanks :kosta:

Harleqwyn 08-03-2005 08:02 AM

The shipyard fellow will say something like 'we have a very special deal today' or something like that when the carronades or figureheads are available.

Erm, sorry about the savegame editing ... :blink:

another_guest 08-03-2005 08:22 PM

Koukai2.dat contains all of your saved games (so they're all in this single file)
I haven't tried editing it yet, so I can't help you with that, sorry...

privateer 08-03-2005 10:05 PM

If you are looking to cheat, your best bet is probably to download a SNES ROM version of the game somewhere. The emulator for SNES comes with a built-in memory search function, so you can easily find where the money is stored.

Personally, though, I don't see why you'd want to cheat for cash in this game. There are so many ways to make it in the game. Maybe in the begining... But other than that, you'll need to sail around a lot anyway to build up your skills. Why not take a little cargo with you and make more than enough to cover your expenses?

My-Q 09-03-2005 01:28 AM

Yes, the savegame is in koukai2.dat.. the best method is by using hex editor, but i forgot how to convert decimal to hexadecimal.. anyone can help me here? :D

Well, to answer privateer's question, i want to do it for "shortcut" and "speed" :)
I finished the game with joao once, and i just want to speed up the playing time so i don't "waste" my time trading ;) Not that i'm against it, because i do a lot of trading early on :)

Anyway, thanks for the help guys :ok:

goblins 09-03-2005 01:42 AM

Best to use a hex editor (plenty of freeware ones available that work just find) you then just need to fiddle to find the money aspect and figure out how to change (there could be worthwhile a google search to find the hex codes as well)

another_guest 09-03-2005 07:17 AM

Hexadecimal: symbols range from 0 to F (with F being equal to decimal 15)
each position further to the left means multiplication by 16 (where in decimal it's 10)

The easiest way to convert, is to use the calculator in windows: type in your decimal figure, then click "HEX". It will immediately be converted into its hexadecimal equivalent.

My-Q 09-03-2005 08:32 AM

Hey, i've got the byte to edit.. it's right next to Joao Franco (or whatever you name him), about 8 blocks between his name and a string of '64' (or 100 in decimal).

Try editing the first 4 bytes after the string of '64' to FF FF FF FF, and you'll end up with 16,777,215 gold which you can use to buy whatever you want :D

As for the calculator function, that's a great help another_guest :max: Thanks :ok:

Mikawa 22-03-2005 03:38 AM

Im sorry but does anyone have this problem that the game crashes everytime you go into a duel? I keep having this problem and its making playing some characters impossible (duel in storymode). And I end up having to keep running from pirates even when i have 6 full rigged ships. Sigh.

another_guest 22-03-2005 06:06 AM

No need to worry... Run the game using Dosbox, and it will be alright.

link to download dosbox on Abandonia

It's a very annoying problem, I've had it too, until I read on some forum that emulating EMS solved it.

And I'll throw in a hint for duelling:
The best swords in the entire world can be found in a port in India, and a port somewhere around Brazil (I'd need to play the game again to know exactly which ports): go shopping there between 2 and 2.40 am. They're really expensive (one of them costs 600000) but they're worth it.
Once I get one of those and good armor, I prefer duelling over cannon fights: it's far cheaper -no damage to your ships- and faster. I've played entire campaigns using this method, and the "worst" that ever happened was that we ran out of time a few times. But in most cases, one or two duels were enough to kill the opposing captain.

MahwahDenizen 24-03-2005 02:40 AM

I have a question about dueling. I have a * class sword and * class armor. But I still cannot seem to get the hang of dueling. Does anyone have a good strategy for dueling?

lethe 24-03-2005 05:39 AM

Seems nice. Looks like I found the winner to play on my 2-day holidays starting tomorrow. :ok:

another_guest 24-03-2005 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MahwahDenizen@Mar 24 2005, 03:40 AM
I have a question about dueling.* I have a * class sword and * class armor.* But I still cannot seem to get the hang of dueling.* Does anyone have a good strategy for dueling?
First of all, it depends on your character. Some are good at swordplay, others will take quite some time to improve. Not much to be done about that, except to "train" against weaker captains, like those of trade convoys, etc.

Secondly, some weapons have a preferred way of attacking (for example: Shiva's sword deals a lot more damage used in 1 particular way, though I don't know which one from the top of my head).

My usual way of attacking (of course this should be changed when using a weapon that's no good for striking!):
1) strike
2) parry (in most cases this will block your opponent's attack)
3) strike
4) Usually I'll dodge here. I've got the impression their striking always deals most damage, so it's not that bad risking a different attack getting through, rather than taking your chances at receiving a strike
5) Sometimes a third strike will work, but this seems to be mostly when your opponent wounded you in step 4. If he didn't, I'd opt for a different attack, as I've noticed they'll usually dodge in this step. Maybe a built-in rule to expect a third identical attack after you've attacked twice in a row using the same attacking method?

Then I'd start the same cycle all over again.
There's a New Horizons FAQ at several websites, where you'll find a list of some of the special weapons' preferred attacking modus. If you don't find it immediately, I'll see if I've still got it somewhere.

Oh, and if you try this method, please let me know if it works for you or not :)

mahwahdenizen 24-03-2005 01:30 PM

Great, thanks for the advice. I will be sure to try it out tonight.

As far as the FAQ is concerned, here is one link. This same FAQ can be found at a lot of places in different versions but this version seems fine:

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/...horizons_a.txt

This faq does not give too much advice for dueling or ship to ship combat though.

another_guest 24-03-2005 02:32 PM

That's indeed the FAQ I meant. The direct link to it won't work, but just search for "new horizons", then choose the PC-version and click the link to the largest FAQ (304 KB).

For ship-to-ship combat: my advice would be to focus as much as possible on the opposing commander's ship (indicated by number 0). Once you sink it, the whole battle is over.
If you feel sure of yourself, use a fleet of 9 ships instead of 10. If you win, you get to fill up empty spaces in your fleet with captured enemy ships, provided you have enough mates for yet another one.
Either stack your ships with crew, so that you outnumber the enemy crew, or try to focus on attacking with cannon shots.
In order to start a duel with the enemy commander, your ship's crew has to outnumber his!
Also, before a battle, assign more crew to combat. I usually pick some 60% for this. After combat, reassign more crew members to navigation, to make sure you can get away even after suffering heavy losses. Also remember to transfer crew if some of your ships have nearly no crew left, otherwise you'll be stuck.

lethe 25-03-2005 11:18 PM

Any idea what to do when there's a haunting storm and no church in the port I am?
I hate these old *random* systems really aren't that random...

Been busting my behind the last 2 days to make a few million from scratch so I could sail away to India, and right on first big travel I'm stuck in Bissau, since the storm is always there, no matter if wait 1 day or 1 month. And it seems like my venetian galeasses aren't that resistant when it comes to storms... :cry:

another_guest 26-03-2005 07:41 AM

You need to stock some balm (which can be bought in the item shops of a few ports, for example in Marseille). I usually buy 12-15 balms whenever I have the chance. When you get a storm warning, use the balm to calm it.
It's important to keep one of those ports as an ally so you can go buy some balm whenever you need.
Also, buy yourself a cat and you'll never have trouble with rats anymore.

To free yourself from your current situation, you could try sailing back to Europe (Marseille -> balm, though there are a few other ports selling it as well). In order to do so, sail from Bissau after repairing all your ships; when you get a storm warning, go ashore. "Hop" like this until you reach the next port, repair your ships, etc.

Also, it's always a good idea to keep a few older saved games. If something goes horribly wrong, you can always return from a previous point.
Good luck!

lethe 26-03-2005 04:40 PM

Yeah... After reading the faq I noticed that balms would be much needed in these occasions... Unfortunately, the storm warning doesn't give me any time, and it's right the first thing that happens when I leave Bissau.
I started all over again :w00t:

XCOM_Squaddie 14-04-2005 02:38 PM

Uncharted Waters 2 is a great game. But after seeing these screen shots for the PC version, I'd have to say the one for SNES is a lot nicer to look at. But either way, it's awesome! :ok:

ole 08-05-2005 11:55 PM

i try edit money by hex editor. but i can't find where ? please help.

another_guest 09-05-2005 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by My-Q@Mar 9 2005, 09:32 AM
Hey, i've got the byte to edit.. it's right next to Joao Franco (or whatever you name him), about 8 blocks between his name and a string of '64' (or 100 in decimal).

Try editing the first 4 bytes after the string of '64' to FF FF FF FF, and you'll end up with 16,777,215 gold which you can use to buy whatever you want :D

See the quoted post above: to be sure of which blocks to edit, write down how much money you have at the moment you save.
Convert that to hexadecimal (the standard calculator in windows can do this: type the figure, then click "HEX"). Then you'll know which sequence to look for in your hexeditor, at the spot the other forum member indicated.

Hope it works...

RPGSwallow 30-05-2005 03:38 AM

The hex address for money i think 6A1 if i'm not wrong. Forgot the last time i edit it, if not 6A1 then maybe 6A4. That's the address i remember for about 6 years, 'cos i like this game very much :P. Btw, anyone have the uncharted water 3 and 4? I'm dying to play it but haven't got any luck finding it. If anyone have uncharted water 3 or 4 malaysian version plz tell me

Belegorm 20-06-2005 09:10 AM

I used to play the game a while ago, but I got rid of it and almost forgot it. Now I'm coming back, and when I downloaded it, and tried to play it, the music didn't work! Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

another_guest 20-06-2005 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Belegorm@Jun 20 2005, 09:10 AM
I used to play the game a while ago, but I got rid of it and almost forgot it. Now I'm coming back, and when I downloaded it, and tried to play it, the music didn't work! Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
First of all, how are you running it, through Dosbox, VDSM,... ?

Belegorm 20-06-2005 10:19 AM

No, I don't use Dosbox. I just click Koei, and the game starts. I've started playing,
without the music, but there are a few other errors, too. Like the game not quitting
when I tell it to quit, and not always seeing the talking sequences. Last time, I got
it from a site called gamebird.dk, and everything worked fine, but this time the download from there didn't work, and from abandonia, the game experianced the errors mentioned above.

another_guest 20-06-2005 09:46 PM

I think I've played it at first without Dosbox, and without any sound or music. But then the game encountered an error whenever I had to duel, so I started using Doxbox which just did fine. So in any case I could only recommend to use Dosbox, regardless of sound issues.

And with Dosbox getting the sound and music to work is just a matter of tweaking the options. Though I hope someone else will help you out with that, I don't have much experience with sound settings :(

Belegorm 21-06-2005 07:13 PM

Still, it's kinda weird that it worked before.

Shane 14-07-2005 07:20 AM

Hi all!
Has anyone ever encountered the follwoing problem: There are some dialogue boxes appearing, but the text is not displayed...I can just hit return and the game proceeds without errors, but I would like to know what Im told :-) this error seems to appear quite randomly (both under XP and DosBox)...any suggestions?

another_guest 14-07-2005 09:20 AM

Hm, it's been a while since I played UW2, but I seem to remember I've encountered that problem, but only rarely (running the game through Dosbox).

If it's information you need to finish your mission or the game, maybe some users here can tell you what's being told?
However, don't count on me since I'm leaving today on a 3 week holiday.

In any case I can only repeat to run the game through Dosbox to prevent any errors during duels. It doesn't solve the missing coversation errors though.

Shane 18-07-2005 07:36 AM

I have solved the problem by using the the 2-disc-version of UW (its around somewhere, I have forgotten the link...try to google it) and DosBox...still doesnt run properly under XP...maybe it helps...its such a cool game :-)

aun61 05-08-2005 01:32 AM

I just beated the game by being an adventurer Pietro Conti.
Playing as an adventurer is very harder than being a pirate, commander or merchant, I think. (I have beaten their stories)

While playing as an adventurer I have to save my money (It's not easy to gain money with this job)
So I never donate, pray even visit a church.
Fortune Tellers kept saying that they see a mask of doom on my face, LOL
I just keep away from storms by go ashore on land when my mate see clouds and wait until the weather clam.

Guest 05-08-2005 01:37 AM

last one thing.
I recommend everyone to use DosBox since I beated the game but MS DOS didnt run end.com file

Guest 05-08-2005 03:33 PM

Probably the best weapon is around China called Golden Dragon for striking. 2 hits I think is more than enough to defeat some enemies if you have good combat skills, or was it one? Can't remember, just ridiculously powerful. Going to install again, I used to play this as a kid, now I'll be a university student playing a kiddie game with fond memories.

Guest 05-08-2005 03:40 PM

Whoops, it's not Golden Dragon but Blue Crescent. Cheaper than the other ultimates and very good ^_^. But Magic Muramasa is also nice.

Valerfore 09-09-2005 09:56 AM

Anyone has uncharted waters iv :porto estado??

i think theres only japanese and chinese versions of the game, but i still would want to play it

Borodin 09-09-2005 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Valerfore@Sep 9 2005, 09:56 AM

i think theres only japanese and chinese versions of the game, but i still would want to play it

That isn't abandonware.

Valerfore 10-09-2005 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Borodin+Sep 9 2005, 12:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Borodin @ Sep 9 2005, 12:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Valerfore@Sep 9 2005, 09:56 AM

That isn't abandonware. [/b][/quote]
If its not abandoned, where can I buy it?

laiocfar 29-10-2005 07:31 PM

Quote:

Probably the best weapon is around China called Golden Dragon for striking. 2 hits I think is more than enough to defeat some enemies if you have good combat skills, or was it one? Can't remember, just ridiculously powerful. Going to install again, I used to play this as a kid, now I'll be a university student playing a kiddie game with fond memories.
hahaha :bleh: , u never heard the tales that a 2:00 AM the shops sell strage items, in timbuktu u can find the crusader sword and in naples the crusader armor. Both of them got an star as grade of att/def... With this u can defeat the best opponet even with the worst combat skills... there are other many items out there in the black market

Quote:

In english only are UW2, but for chinese, indian and japanese there are more versions. Since i donīt get a word of any of the three languages, i known nothing more about them.

laiocfar 11-12-2005 04:29 AM

Here is a list of usefull items that i just send to chriis who asked me for it, enjoy but know that it is a spoiler

First the voyagers helps
?UN GATO! keep the ship free of rats... anyway a funny and lovely pet for $2000 u can found it in La Mecca, Zeiton, Nagasaki, Sakai.
Pocket Watch (Only black market, the black market is in the items seller from 2:00 AM to 3:00 AM) only found at Amsterdam, cost $2000 and i donīt know what does... it say the exact hour but already we got it!!!
Tax Free Permit from Italy (BM) for $10,000 in Syracuse.
Tax Free Permit from Portugal (BM)for $10,000 in Salonika.Tax Free Permit from Englnad (BM, that means Black market)
for $10,000 in Danzig.
Tax Free Permit from Holland (BM) for $10,000 in Antwerp.
Tax Free Permit from Spain (BM) for $10,000 in Azov.
Tax Free Permit from Turkey (BM) for $10,000 in Tripoli.
A Telescope to see farer, price $5000 in the ports of Amsterdam, Lisbon, Seville, Istanbul, Tripoli.
Now the weapoms,the japanese sword, att:A, cost: $20.000, where:Nagasaki and Sakai.
Magic Muramasa(BM),Att *, cost: $380.000, only in Sakai.
Saber,Att: C, price: $3000, ports: Lubeck, Athens, Trebizond, Ceylon.
Scimitar, Att: B, cost: $8000, only in Cairo.
Short Saber, Att: D, money: $1000, pretty common and unusefull u can found it at Seville, Beirut, Tripoli and Calicut.
Siva's Sword(BM), Att: *(a * means plus than A), cost: $280.000, only in Calicut.
Crusader Sword (BM), Att: *, $380.000, Timbuktu.
Epee, Att: D, $2000, in Nantes, Marseille, Naplesand Venice.
Estock(i am tire no more tipying just copypaste)Att: B $6000 Lubeck.
Flamberge (BM), att:A. It's given to Joao by his father or for $ 14.000 in Lubeck.
well from now i will past in spanish, too much time to traslate and type, u must know that puerto/s = port/s, precio = price, attack = ataque, defence = defensa.
Rapier, Ataque: C, Precio: $3000, Puertos: Bordeaux. Lisbon. Seville. Pisa.
Blue Crescent(BM), Ataque: *, Precio: $24.000, Puertos: Zeiton. Changan.
Broad Sword, Ataque: B, Precio: $5000, Puertos: Bristol. Dublin. Pisa.
Claymore (BM), Ataque: A, Precio: $15.000, Puertos: Bristol. Dublin.
Cutlass, Ataque: D, Precio: $1500, Puertos: Genoa. Salonika. Algiers.
Golden Dragon, Ataque: A, Precio: $18.000, Puertos: Hanoi.
Dagger, Ataque: D, Precio: $500, Puertos: Stockholm. Dublin. Barcelona. Ragusa. Azov. San Jorge. Pernambuco.
Margarita.
Long Sword, Ataque: B, Precio: $4000, Puertos: Lubeck. Antwerp. Cartegena.
Rune Blade (BM), Ataque: *, Precio: $360.000, Puertos: Pernambuco.
Short Sword, Ataque: D, Precio: $1000, Puertos: Stockholm. Bordeaux. Valencia. Syracuse. Goa.

Chain Mail, Defensa: C, Precio: $2000, Puertos: Copenhagen. Nantes. Venice. Cairo. Caracas.
Crusader Armor (BM), Defensa: *, Precio: $600.000, Puertos: Naples.
Errol's Plate (BM), Defensa: *, Precio: $300.000, Puertos: Copenhagen.
Half Plate, Defensa: B, Precio: $4000, Puertos: Copenhagen. Alexandria.
Leather Armor, Defensa: D, Precio: $1000, Puertos: Hamburg. Danzig. Bristol. Barcelona. Naples. Istanbul. Tripoli.
Plate Mail, Defensa: A, Precio: $8000, Puertos: Copenhagen. Pernambuco.

I prefer to buy a Claymore and the Errolīs Plate quick and later when going to China the Blue Crescent. But if short of time but with money,can buy the crusader stuf. With a item of * and a decent character u are invincible but with boths * and Ali(the worst fighting character) u are also invincible.

Other items:
Balm, calm stoms, Precio: $1000, Puertos: Bordeaux. Barcelona. Beirut. Goa. Zeiton. Santo Domingo.
Lime Juice, heals scurvy, Precio: $1000, Puertos: Valencia. Syracuse. Athens. Algiers. Zeiton. Panama. Caracas.
Cartegena. Santiago.
Rat Poison, Precio: $500, Puertos: Antwerp. Naples. Alexandria. Argin. Mozambique. Santa Domingo.
Quadrant, Precio: $4000, Puertos: Hamburg. Lisbon. Genoa. Ragusa. Istanbul.
Sextant, Precio: $8000, Puertos: Amsterdam. Venice. Alexandria.
Theodolite, Precio: $12.000, Puertos: Amsterdam. Mecca.

Guest_Danny 15-12-2005 12:39 AM

-hidden items, ships, heros and money routes-

here are a few items, ships and other things you cant buy through normal means, such as the holy armor and sword, amterdams ships, japans turtle ship, angel/dragon figureheads for your ship and more.

first, buy arts from athenes and sell them at istanbul, then buy carpets from istanbul and sell them at athenes. it only makes about 2-3000 gold per sell when you start off but after a few rounds the market price shifts, and youll be making more than you can spend. with fleets of them cargos, you should be makin around 10,0000 golds per sell. deposit the max amount possible in the game (i think 100,0000 gold) and make more until you hit the max amount the game allows u to have.

with the finance from this trade, go to amsterdam and invest at their shipyard. when their skill reaches 100%, they'll be able to produce ships called 'ship'. it costs around 32,000 for each ship but its the best in the game, even better than those venice pirate ships. probably the best ship in the game since its hidden. i could almost swear they have a way to buy marijuana from the item shop, but i havent found a way yet.

do a little more trading and go to naples. their youll find a hidden item shop on the right side of the town. go in at night (theyll be open at a certain time of night) and theyll sell you some kind of holy armor that costs more than any ship youll ever see, but it makes you invincible against attackes when dueling 1 on 1. they only sell it at night, kinda like a black market thing in the game. i cant remember if you have to invest or not for this item, someone let me know.
fill your crew to the max and no pirate will refuse a duel. and with this armor you wont be loosing either.

same thing for panama in the south americas. the item shop there will sell this holy sword that kills any opponent with a single blow. the attack rating isnt even A, it has stars instead of an alphabetical rating.

i know there are hidden figureheads such as angels, dragons etc. (that makes you invincible from storms or cannon ball attacks) and other hidden items but i cant remember how to get those. it also has something to do with investing at shipyards. if anyone finds out please do post.
china has an item that one of those guys in romance of the three kingdoms use to use, but i remember the holy sword at panama being better.
japan also has a hidden dragon ship, it actually looks like a box of nails with a dragon figurehead and asian sails. its not as good in combat as the hidden ship from amsterdam (although better than any other ship) but incase youre the peaceful type unlike me, youll find it better cuz it will move at full knot speed (20 right?) no matter how the wind blows. do the same investing and night shopping you do to get the ship from amsterdam to get it. i cant remeber which japanese port it was, but i think it was nagasaki.

if you like trading, theres a gold/silver route from japan to europe. japans gold/silver
is so cheap, you can buy em like candy. i remember that lisbon pretty boy having it in his mission.
oh, and dont forget to buy those potion items from beirut cuz theres alot of storms down in west africa.

if you want to hire them famous pirates, like heiden race, into your crew, bust em up and go to tripolis, there youll see him in a pub. if youre notorious enough, he'll work for you.

i havent figured out what benefits you get from economical investments, but im sure the game has some money making scheme coded into it. not too sure though, someone please

another_guest 15-12-2005 07:00 AM

1) You don't have to invest in order to buy "rare items" in the shops at night. Just be there between 2:00 and 3:00 at night (3 am is already too late, 2 am is fine).

2) For the special figureheads you need to visit the right ports (like Antwerp, perhaps also Amsterdam and one of the Japanese ports, don't remember which ones exactly), invest in their industry until it reaches 1000, then increase your luck by donating to the church. Since it doesn't matter how much you donate, but what percentage of your cash on hand, try to do it the cheap way: load as many ships as you can with gold, deposit the max. amount to the bank. Then start donating based on the cash you have left.
Same goes for the special cannons, though I don't remember in which ports you could get them.

3) First effect of economical investments is expanding the selection a certain market has to offer. I *think* it also affected the price you'll be paying or getting for your cargo. Plus of course it helps to keep a port allied.

Additional remark on trading: you can unbalance a port's price level by either buying several times in a row (preferably something very cheap like glass beads, as you'll be losing money on this transaction) without leaving the port (--> increases the price level so you can get a lot more for your expensive cargo), or selling in the same fashion (--> lower price level so you can buy cargo cheaply). Use this to increase your profits on a certain trade route. A good one is gold from either an African port or one of the isles in the Atlantic, somewhere west of Spain/Gibraltar (don't remember which isle it was) which you can sell at Lübeck (Northern Germany, you have to round Denmark to get there) or Genoa (North-west Italy). You'll have to invest in the African/... market though before you can buy gold there. Take silver on the way back from Genoa. Not sure what you could haul out of Lübeck but this port is giving awesome prices for silver and gold after you unbalance the economy.
By the way, I didn't invent this scheme, so thanks to whoever came up with this!

fictionz 16-12-2005 01:12 AM

can any1 help me? there's a 16-bit ms-dos application error when i tried to open the program, i couldn't play it, it wouldn't work! :yawn:

dosterror 16-12-2005 01:54 AM

16bit errors occur cuz you have a 32 bit os (windows 2000/xp i presume?). are you using DOSbox? download it from this site, it even works for my xp 64bit edition.

and thanks for the fix up from whoever another_guest was. im gonna go try to get some cool figureheads :)

also, from my previous post, the ships are called 'fully-rigged ships' and its in antwerp, not amsterdam.
those holy weapons are also called crusaders armor/sword.
i guess the japanese version i use to play bout 10 years ago was a bit different.
and for the istanbul-athenes trade route, get some tax free permissions when you have a title. itll boost your pure income up to about 30,0000 gold each trade round.

laiocfar 16-12-2005 07:18 AM

I gor many to say, well i played this game many time....

firstly about items i got already posted all rare items and not only the crusader sword and armor are holy or the best of the best stuff, see for items rated as "*".

About figureheads, u donīt only need to denvelope the proper port, u also need luck!!!. luck is obtained by donate at least a 10% of your money, better say, of your total assets, so donate money too early in the game or too late. but always a 10% of the sum of the bank account, the cash, the ships, the items and the cargo. The ports were u can find good figureheads, i didnīt reseached them so i donīt know.

About ships, the best ship, for me, its at Bristol when industry denveloped to 1000. There are also good ships in some japanesse ports, like nagasaki. There are many oher ports were industry in 1000 will give u new desings, but BRISTOL IS THE BEST ONE, followed by japan and Antwerp.

About the best route, the game say that its the carpet(Istambul)-art(Athens) route. Ans its true this is the best early route. But i know about a better one, Silver from nagasaki and another good(i just donīt rember) from Lubek. The problem of this route its that its to long and only big and good(special ships only found in certains ports with 1000 industry) fleets can make it. The big difference with old Athens-Istambul route its that in this route u can make markert manypullation. :eeeeeh: Theat means that when u get in to Lucbek with the nagasaki silver, u can use a supply ship to purchase cargoes of 100 units of another "luxury"(if silver its a luxury, i didnīt remind if the game says that its a luxury or a precius or) to move the price index of luxury to 150 before sell a whole cargo of 5000 silver and also do that when buying. So buy with the price index of this type of good at 50% and sell with 150%. This trade route need a lot of money to be started but it can duplicate it in few voyages.

another_guest 17-12-2005 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest_Danny@Dec 15 2005, 01:39 AM
with the finance from this trade, go to amsterdam and invest at their shipyard. when their skill reaches 100%, they'll be able to produce ships called 'ship'. it costs around 32,000 for each ship but its the best in the game, even better than those venice pirate ships. probably the best ship in the game since its hidden.
There's a flaw in your reasoning: since Amsterdam is a capital in the game, you can't invest in its industry. Or were you referring to another port?

By the way, the gold trading route I mentioned in my previous post is Madeira - Genoa or Madeira - Lübeck. Not too long, huge profits once you raise/lower the price rates according to your needs. This way, hauling gold can easily make you some half a million profit per ship of decent size (say 500 cargo capacity)

laiocfar 18-12-2005 09:17 PM

Another weak spot of the ship called ship itīs that there isnīt any ship called just ship.
The hidden ships are the Tekenbuken(jappanese), Frigate, Brage? and other one. The names maybe are wrong but are mostly as i tiped

dosterror 19-12-2005 01:42 AM

yes its 'fully-rigged ship'. my mistake (although the japanese version i played years ago just named it 'ship')

and yeah, it wasnt amsterdam, it was antwerp where you invest to get the fully rigged ships (i heard there are other places too). i heard bristol was good too but it takes too long for industry to reach 100 and i cant find any ship better than the fully-rigged ships (with the exception of Tekkou.. that japanese steel ship, better for battles)

those gold routes you talked about are crazy. with the help of mates with negotiation skills, i could haggle the gold price down to 200 and sell em in north europe for 1200! and with a fleet of fully-rigged ships(capacity 1200) you can make enough in one round to run through the entire game.. now thats just some bomb trading trading there

oh btw, does anyone remember where to get those hidden figureheads and cannons?

another_guest 19-12-2005 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dosterror@Dec 19 2005, 02:42 AM
oh btw, does anyone remember where to get those hidden figureheads and cannons?
Antwerp is one of the ports where you can get these figureheads (and very likely also the cannons). I don't remember the others yet, but maybe Nagasaki as well.
But it takes a LOT of donations to boost your luck... Just check with the fortune teller to keep track of how much you still have to improve your luck. Apparently if she tells you your luck is strong and "...you have nothing to fear..." isn't enough yet.
My estimate would be that some 50 times donating just over 50% of your cash on hand should do the trick, regardless of how doomed you are at the start.
Note that you still may have to try a few times before they offer you any special figureheads or cannons, even if your luck is at its maximum.

Speaking about good trade routes:
1) The Athens - Istanbul route still is one of the most profitable in the game, even if you end up only hauling goods in 1 direction (because the price levels go out of balance because of your trading, as art has a different price than carpets). It's short, no risk of storms, very little risk of pirates.
2) Gold from either Africa or Madeira, to Lübeck. Take silver on the way back to unbalance the price level where you buy your gold.
3) If you're desperately short on cash, take glass beads (for example from Amsterdam) to Timbuktu. Buy them at 2-3 gold apiece, sell for about 45 each. Take as much gold as you can afford on the way back.
4) If you're in Asia, try this one: buy silver at Nagasaki, sell in Zeiton (China). Don't remember what you can take on the way back though... Remember to stock balms if you want to go near Japan!
5) One of the longest routes I'd want to do for trading, but still a good one: carpets from Cairo or nearby cities, sell at Northern European ports.
6) Gold is probably cheapest in Eastern Africa (and of course you can influence their price levels). Sell it in Lübeck. Make sure to have balms with you!

That's it for now... Feel free to post some other interesting trade routes!

dosterror 20-12-2005 07:21 AM

ah, excellent! thanks! i needed to make donations

i tried all those routes and i have to say that gold route is the best by far. specially when you have negotiation power and a massive fleet. i also noticed you can get gold even cheaper when you have the tax free permit and you invest to put gold ports under portugals influence, but eventually the economy catches up and gold prices rocket..
still fun though since it makes you feel like a bomb trader when you make big bucks at once

Captain Ackers 04-01-2006 05:00 AM

I'm too lazy to flick through all the posts, but transferred this game onto my Win95, and played. It was k (apart from the iffy controlling of ship) but the thing that bugged me was the music. I have played this on Sega, and know how it should sound, but for some reason it sounded like someone pulling their fingers across a blackboard! The machine, old as it is, does not run DOSBOX (It doesn't need to of course) Any way to fix this, or should I drown it out with some metal. (So appropriate for this style of game)

Tom Henrik 05-01-2006 03:06 AM

Drown it out ;)

Guest 20-01-2006 06:42 AM

I take it that the PC versions has differences in how the special figureheads and guns work? In the SNES version all you had to do was get both the economy and the shipyard to 1000 each. It did help that the port was allied to whatever country you hailed from but luck really didn't play a part in it. I almost never donate funds and have gotten the figureheads and cannons from all over the world. But only once per port. The special ships could only be gotten from certain ports. Bristol and Bordeux ( something like that at least ) sell the Barges but they are way to slow and hard to handle in a fight.

I did find that the duels went better if you understand all the swords and what the special ablilites are since that way you are pretty sure what the other guy will use as an attack. The basic formula goes like this: You parry against a thrust, block against a lash, and dodge against a strike. The ones that inflict the most damage is: Dodge against lash, block against thrust, and parry against strike. So try to fake him into using a defence that will inflict the most damage to him.

laiocfar 21-01-2006 01:42 AM

For sword combat, buy the super stuff and the rest its luck. :bleh:

Searcherii 21-02-2006 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest_Danny@Dec 15 2005, 01:39 AM
japan also has a hidden* dragon ship ....* i cant remeber which japanese port it was, but i think it was nagasaki.

Erm... i was in Japan.. and there is NO Town. Only North a smal "Vilage" to restock Food and Water :((
Pls.. where can i find this Turtle-Ships? Invested in Macao, Zeiton and Changan up to 1000 Points... only Junk aviable.

Need Help :/

Indonesia 22-02-2006 02:27 PM

geez, "your rating 3.5"???? how come?? this is a great game, greatest sailing game, i played this since 8 or so years ago and i'm still playing this game... now i see why koei never released the english version for uncharted waters 3-5, which i think can make you think sid's pirates is a bad game, i mean come on, this is the 2nd uncharted waters and you already get this much, how about 3rd and 4th??..... have y'all play this game more deeply? there's a lot to do in this game.

btw, the japanese ports are unavailabe for some characters
and to win duels are so easy, there's an order to that, i think its 3-2 or 2-3, after you strike with the third option you defend with the second one, but it kills the fun

Searcherii 23-02-2006 08:47 AM

omg.. played as Portugal => No Jap. Towns.

Now is started as England, take a loan and start sailing with the small starting Vessel towards Japan. Nasty Storms on the Way ^^ (have to Save/load verry often *gg)

Finaly i have Arrived and: Japan is now Inhabited! :w00t:
thx 4 Hint.

Any other Special Ship than Full-Rigged (Antwerp) and Barge (Bristol) and this Turtle-Ship from Japan (Nagasaki?) ?

another_guest 24-02-2006 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Searcherii@Feb 23 2006, 09:47 AM
Now is started as England, take a loan and start sailing with the small starting Vessel towards Japan. Nasty Storms on the Way ^^ (have to Save/load verry often *gg)

Finaly i have Arrived and: Japan is now Inhabited! :w00t:
thx 4 Hint.

Any other Special Ship than Full-Rigged (Antwerp) and Barge (Bristol) and this Turtle-Ship from Japan (Nagasaki?) ?

If you buy balms (Amsterdam sells them, as well as one of the Northern French ports, and Zeiton) you won't have trouble with storms anymore. Otherwise it's indeed hell to reach Japan.

No other special ships I'm afraid...

Privateer 26-02-2006 11:38 PM

Quote:

3) If you're desperately short on cash, take glass beads (for example from Amsterdam) to Timbuktu. Buy them at 2-3 gold apiece, sell for about 45 each. Take as much gold as you can afford on the way back.
That is my favourite route once I get a little money together to start it. Hey, beads might be cheap, but you still can't exactly just go all the way down to Africa in your starting Caravel with a 1000 gold or so. :) You need balms for this trip, since West Africa is a stormy place, especially if your luck isn't maxed out (and I tend to leave mine a little bit shy of maximum, otherwise trips get a bit too boring :D).

I disagree with the gold part of it though. Timbuktu sells gold at a normal price of 800 or so, so you'll make 200 profit per lot. On the other hand, it has Ivory as its specialty, which it sells for only about 60-80 and sell in Europe to get the same 200 profit per lot. Difference is, you probably will not be able to afford a full hold of gold, while you will should easily be able to pack your ships with ivory, since it costs about the same to buy there as your beads sell for. If you think about it, that's a pretty awesome route: you start off paying just 2 or 3 gold per unit of beads, then trade beads for ivory 1-to-1, bring ivory back to Europe and sell it for 250. :ok:

Quote:

6) Gold is probably cheapest in Eastern Africa (and of course you can influence their price levels). Sell it in Lübeck. Make sure to have balms with you!

I haven't compared, so I can't say where it's cheapest, but South America had extremely cheap gold, I recall. If you just want a route with maximum profit per trip no matter how long it takes, it's probably a good place to try taking your silver to trade for gold. It and East Africa, like you said.

As Joao, Ernst or Pietro, my favorite starting trade route is Madeira to Lisbon or any other Iberian port. Madeira counts as Africa, so olive oil fetches nice prices there (about 40-50) while it's available in any port round Iberia for 30 or so. Madeira's specialty Sugar is dirt-cheap there (10!), while Iberian ports will pay 40-50 for it. It's a nice little run to sail in your starting Caravel and the Light Galleys you first buy until you build up enough money for a decent ship or two and start trading with Timbuktu.

laiocfar 27-02-2006 08:17 AM

the only money maker machine is Istambul-Athens.

Shrek 27-02-2006 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Privateer@Feb 27 2006, 01:38 AM

I disagree with the gold part of it though. Timbuktu sells gold at a normal price of 800 or so, so you'll make 200 profit per lot. On the other hand, it has Ivory as its specialty, which it sells for only about 60-80 and sell in Europe to get the same 200 profit per lot. Difference is, you probably will not be able to afford a full hold of gold, while you will should easily be able to pack your ships with ivory, since it costs about the same to buy there as your beads sell for. If you think about it, that's a pretty awesome route: you start off paying just 2 or 3 gold per unit of beads, then trade beads for ivory 1-to-1, bring ivory back to Europe and sell it for 250. :ok:

Quote:

I haven't compared, so I can't say where it's cheapest, but South America had extremely cheap gold, I recall. If you just want a route with maximum profit per trip no matter how long it takes, it's probably a good place to try taking your silver to trade for gold. It and East Africa, like you said.

At Eastern Africa you can buy gold at around 600. You can sell it in Europe for around 1000, making about 400 profit per unit.
But filling a ship with gold requires a large investment, so it is not a good way to start... and spending 2 or 3 months making a trip just to bring a ship half loaded isn't much for a business either.

Oh, and another hint (I don't know if anyone has ever said anything about this, so here it goes): if you don't play as Ernst Von Bohr, as soon as you can, go to Amsterdam, visit Mercador, and "learn" the cartographer skills... then, you can report at him and get some money for telling him about the "new territories you discovered" (do not expect however, an huge profit from there, but it can be enough to buy food supplies for your next trips).

laiocfar 28-02-2006 02:19 AM

It isnt the same crew and fleet for a privateer, an explorer or a merchant. So cartography isnt always usefull.

another_guest 28-02-2006 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by laiocfar@Feb 27 2006, 09:17 AM
the only money maker machine is Istambul-Athens.
It's only good for the mid-game.
Once you've got some bigger ships, you'll quickly see that you unbalance the market, reducing your profits on this route. After a few trips in a row, you even won't have any profit anymore in 1 direction.
Then it's time to switch to the gold/silver route. Personally I wouldn't want to save 10-or-so million (cost for a nice fleet with lots of cannons, from the top of my head) by doing the Athens - Istanbul route, it would take ages, whereas a few hauls of gold between purposefully unbalanced markets will make you several millions in profit.

Privateer 28-02-2006 07:53 PM

Yeah, cartography is nice. You can definitely make more money than you invest into learning the skill if you plan on traveling all over the world. You don't have to report back to him often. Just drop by and say hello when you are in the neighbourhood, get a few ingots just for sailing around. Not a great source of income, but, hey, if you are sailing places anyway, why not take some extra cash for it?

Another thing is that reporting your map explorations to Merchator increases your adventure fame, which is a very nice way to get that extra fame boost for Joao's or Pietro's adventures. I usually make learning cartography and getting a contract one of the first priorities right after getting better ships. If you start early, you'll make quite a bit of fame and money by the time you've finished mapping the world.

Indonesia 03-03-2006 11:01 AM

istanbul-athens route are great IMO, just buy and sell carpet/art, using the bargaining skill, here's a useful tip, if you want to make the price become expensive but you don't have that much money then just buy 5 or 10 per transaction and see the price goes up ^^,
back to the istanbul anthens route, when you've got enough money just buy a used xebec and remodel it to minimum crew (30 or 25 i think) and no gun, then after you make more money change it to that big ship which i forgot the name, venetian galeas i think, then upgrade it to minimum crew and no guns, then just enjoy your easy earned money, and the best part is no storm LOL, when you're RICH then you can start the gold route

another_guest 03-03-2006 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Indonesia@Mar 3 2006, 12:01 PM
if you want to make the price become expensive but you don't have that much money then just buy 5 or 10 per transaction and see the price goes up ^^,
Exactly, that's the way to unbalance price levels in markets (for example to max them out before you sell your gold, or to minimize them before buying your silver)

It's not always 5-10 units, it depends on the cost of each of these units, play around with it to find the opimum.

Guest 22-03-2006 09:02 PM

you could find this game at http://www.coolrom.com/ , I am not with them but that is where i found the SNES Rom for it. I like it alot better then the PC version, although both are uber if your trying to kill your time on the plane.

Guest 06-04-2006 12:29 PM

What's the best strategy for Jo?o? shall I start trading with another ports or just explore. And any tips on how can I find this secret of Atlantis?

another_guest 06-04-2006 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest@Apr 6 2006, 12:29 PM
What's the best strategy for Jo?o? shall I start trading with another ports or just explore. And any tips on how can I find this secret of Atlantis?
Personally I prefer trading at the very start so that I can buy myself a decent fleet. Exploring costs a hell of a lot of money (crew, food, repairing ships + you won't have much room for cargo on long trips --> little or no income).

But I suggest you google for a walkthrough, I've once found an excellent one, great to check if you have the feeling you're stuck somewhere.
And yes, you'll have to go on discoveries in order to boost your reputation as an adventurer, but like I said you might want to have quite some cash on hand before you try to sail to the Americas or Asia.

One last warning: always take a decent amount of gold with you on far trips, as there may be no banks around where you can withdraw money.

laiocfar 07-04-2006 06:09 AM

Quote:

Personally I prefer trading at the very start so that I can buy myself a decent fleet. Exploring costs a hell of a lot of money (crew, food, repairing ships + you won't have much room for cargo on long trips --> little or no income).

But I suggest you google for a walkthrough, I've once found an excellent one, great to check if you have the feeling you're stuck somewhere.
And yes, you'll have to go on discoveries in order to boost your reputation as an adventurer, but like I said you might want to have quite some cash on hand before you try to sail to the Americas or Asia.

One last warning: always take a decent amount of gold with you on far trips, as there may be no banks around where you can withdraw money.

You was born merchant.
In facts, u dont need money, a fleet, crew, load capacity, etc to start exploring. Just remodel your ship too very few crew, fill the ship with food and water, and go out to adventure. The risk is that you will die easly that in a privateer or merchant career.

About discoveries :hammer:
U should known that in the files are 98 discoveries but only 49 picked randomly exist in each world. U create a new world in each new game. You should divide them by trips. First trip should be to the Nile cuz its cheaper. U should earn enought money to lear the cartography skill. Then u should make the north trip, unbelivement most valuable discoveries are in the North pole, the risk of this trip are the lack of ports, there are a minimiun numbers of supply ports. But if arent following the coast line of the big continets(no islands), you can miss one and if you miss, you die. Anyway the discoveries are north of the ports so you should stop in each supply port, take a look to near islands(maybe more than one time), come back and move to the other one. Other trips of discoveries are "African rivers", "Red Sea and India", "Huang river (China)", "Indonesia", "America", "Australia" and the "The cross of Pacific". Wach out for storms in west Africa when moving between south and north Afica; in East India; in Filipines; in Korea; near Bahamas. Wach out of lack of wind in South America in the Argentinian Sea, in Alaska and in South America in front of Chile.

another_guest 07-04-2006 07:27 AM

A good indication is the number of days you can do with a full load of food & water + of course the speed your ship reaches under optimal and worst conditions. I'd always try for a range of 40 days or more, and take a relatively light ship to reach a decent speed. Still it needs to be tough so it survives long trips.
Like Laiocfar said, have a minimum crew + say 10% extra: sometimes random events take out part of your crew, and you don't want to be stuck at a speed of 2-6 knots because you lost 5 crew members...

Final note: stock balm, preferably 10-15 of your 20 items. Have a cat around, and optionally also lime juice.

Shrek 07-04-2006 09:11 AM

Yes, the biggest problem about long trips is the "scurvy", so it is not advisable to travel for more than 50 days in a row - make it 40 if you want to make sure you crew men don't get it...

Even lime juice is very ineffective against it, as a few days after you use it, the scurvy will return... so there are only two solutions: (1) take a lot of lime juice; (2) make smaller trips :bleh:

another_guest 07-04-2006 12:35 PM

Yes, 40-45 days is usually the maximum. But you need about such a range if you want to sail to Asia using the Northern route (past Scandinavia and Russia).
South America can be tricky too if you reach the area in the Atlantic with weeds but no winds. I think a good route was from Gibraltar straight south-west. Of course it still depends on your ship's type.

Guest_ricardo 08-04-2006 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Maikel@Nov 6 2004, 08:02 PM
Discuss this game....or else..

Review and Download (if available)

where i can down this game for emulador to super nintendo?
speak to me:pwned@pwnageddon.com

EDIT BY HORSEMAN:
Look a few posts above yours, there is a post from March 22nd which tells you where.

laiocfar 08-04-2006 02:01 AM

Another tip from a seasoned explorer as me :blink:
Well, another tip for explorers, its change the rations to full water and 60%-80% food. Carry more food than water, cuz water can be adquired in seashore by searching it. :ok:
I like the cat cuz in the description say MEOW and little less. Anyway the cat and balm are very usefull.

Guest_Mike 22-05-2006 05:47 PM

Help me out here..I open the folder and hit install it ask me for the disk..

So It seems I have no clue how to install the game from the download...

can someone help me out ?

I have had a SNES hooked up for over ten years JUST for this game .. :D

The cart battery finally gave up...so I thought this was my best shot .

I'm a little bit lost at installing this .....

Havell 22-05-2006 05:49 PM

You don't have to install the game, just run KOEI.COM.

It needs DOSBox to run under XP.

ledhed 22-05-2006 05:59 PM

Ok I am at dos box now trying to dowload vs. .65 ffor windows

Is it like an emulator ?

You are requesting file: /dosbox/DOSBox0.65-win32-installer.exe

Not having much luck ..

ledhed 22-05-2006 06:21 PM

I got it running..thanks..but got a memory allocation error system halted message when I saved and ended the game ...seems I got a bit to learn...thanks for your help .

it crashes as soon as you try to swordfight..I started as Otto..I wonder how long the learning curve is with this dos thing ? :D

Havell 22-05-2006 07:19 PM

There's an excellent DosBox tutorial on the site

Here

ledhed 23-05-2006 03:04 PM

The game crashes everytime a sword fight stars..I read something about a patch that corrested this problem but I cant find any info .

Could it be an Dos box thing I did wrong ? Or is there a patch ?

another_guest 24-05-2006 01:52 PM

Run the game through Dosbox, that solves the problem.
If you still don't get Dosbox to work with the manual Havell linked to, you can always download D-Fend (google it to find the download page) which is a very easy front-end to Dosbox

Ahnassi 30-05-2006 04:32 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RPGSwallow @ May 30 2005, 03:38 AM) [snapback]112609[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

The hex address for money i think 6A1 if i'm not wrong. Forgot the last time i edit it, if not 6A1 then maybe 6A4. That's the address i remember for about 6 years, 'cos i like this game very much :P. Btw, anyone have the uncharted water 3 and 4? I'm dying to play it but haven't got any luck finding it. If anyone have uncharted water 3 or 4 malaysian version plz tell me
[/b]
1) each saved game have different offset for money
2) to find an offset do the folowing : open windows calculator, change calc view from "standart" to "engineer", type your amount of money that is in the searched saved game(for ex. 12 536 989), click "Hex" radioButton, write down hex Value(BF4C9D) , now REVERT BYTE ORDER(first pair should be last - and you got 9D 4C BF), now seek that reverted string (9d4cbf) .
3) Uncharted waters 3: Costa Del Sol and Uncharted waters 4: Porta Estado can be found for sale at the KOEI site. http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/products/p.../ee/Rldai3.htm and http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/products/p.../ee/Rldai4.htm
cost about 3000 yen for each CD.
P.S. UW3 and UW4 was never released in english :(((. It is time learn Japanese. :))

a good FAQ can be found at http://www.the-spoiler.com/RPG/Koei.games/...aters.2.1.html)

Guest 30-05-2006 04:41 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ledhed @ May 22 2006, 05:59 PM) [snapback]231735[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Ok I am at dos box now trying to dowload vs. .65 ffor windows

Is it like an emulator ?

You are requesting file: /dosbox/DOSBox0.65-win32-installer.exe

Not having much luck ..
[/b]
I see a lot people having trouble with configuring DosBox :wallbash: . Use D-Fend v2.0 - a dosbox shell. it is very conveniently. :ok:

Guest 30-05-2006 05:06 AM

>Just check with the fortune teller to keep track of how much you still have to improve your luck. >Apparently if she tells you your luck is strong and "...you have nothing to fear..." isn't enough yet.
>My estimate would be that some 50 times donating just over 50% of your cash on hand should do the trick, >regardless of how doomed you are at the start.

donating calculates depending on the gold in your hands (goods and bank account - invisible).
Donating technique: donate 1/2 then pray, until you have 2 golds or less.
to check your progress load your saved game into hex editor, find your Last Name, from the start of your last name move +12h here's your luck. http://ahnassi.narod.ru/whereluck.jpg

Luck cant be more then 100(64h). If you are muslim(ALI) you need to sail a very long way back to Ottoman empire to find a mosque.

ahnassi 30-05-2006 05:15 AM

PS.if you will not Pray after Donate your donation can have no effect.
PPS. Save your game before checking your luck. to locate your portion in saved file use Money HEX search, as described before.

laiocfar 31-05-2006 03:00 AM

Donate 10 times the 10th part of your wealth or gold, i dont remember and you get max luck... i dont care about that, i am my own luck

ahnassi 31-05-2006 07:04 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(laiocfar @ May 31 2006, 03:00 AM) [snapback]233391[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Donate 10 times the 10th part of your wealth or gold, i dont remember and you get max luck... i dont care about that, i am my own luck
[/b]
Do you mean PC version?

10th part gives you only +1 point per donation
but 1/2 gives you + 9 points per donation.
Quote:

Percentage of Cash on Hand donated - Luck increase
----------------------------------------------------
Less than 10% - None
10% - 1 point
11% - 2 points
12% - 3 points
13% - 14 % - 4 points
15% - 16% - 5 points
17% - 20% - 6 points
21% - 25% - 7 points
26% - 33% - 8 points
34% - 50% - 9 points
51% and up - 10 points
[/b]
When I started with ALI he has 0Ch (12%) luck. According to manual, as soon as I borrow my 1st 1000 I ran to mosque and donated that 1000 by 1/2 parts and got luck 5Dh(93%).

All that I said related to PC version

Ahnassi 31-05-2006 07:19 AM

I found new North trade route.
Buy dye at Hamburg sell at Copenhagen. Buy Glassware at Copenhagen and sell at Hamburg.
adjust economy in "Other" category 150% at Hamburg, and 50% at Copenhagen.

here is a calculation. for my fleet
http://ahnassi.narod.ru/ntr.gif

it takes 6 days to make 1 round

This route gives you enough money to build a good fleet and quickly invest in all north cities:
Bourdeaux, Bristol, Copenhagen,Hamburg,Lubeck, Antwerp. And you still have a money to get Full-Rigged ship.

another_guest 31-05-2006 01:16 PM

Nice excel ;)

But "adjusting" the economy seems to imply hexediting.
Same with having a tax permit so early in the game.

I think I'd still prefer the classic Athens - Istanbul and Amsterdam - Timbuktu routes to start with.

Ahnassi 01-06-2006 01:06 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(another_guest @ May 31 2006, 01:16 PM) [snapback]233452[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Nice excel ;)

But "adjusting" the economy seems to imply hexediting.
Same with having a tax permit so early in the game.

I think I'd still prefer the classic Athens - Istanbul and Amsterdam - Timbuktu routes to start with.
[/b]
This economy adjusting is made by fair trading. buy Dye by lot of 100, sell Glassware by lot of 350-360. At Copenhagen you should sell Dye by lot of 100 and buy Glassware by lot of 350.
One time for those 6 LaReales is enough to turn 100%-100% into 150%-50%.
after you have adjusted both economies you can buy only 200 dye instead of 350. The effect of 200 covers the effect of 350. saving on 150 dye lot gives you 19000gp.

The same is true for Athens-Istanbul. When price Index adjusted (50%-150%) you can spend less on buying carpets. Just buy only 200 instead of 350. saving on 150 carpets gives you some additional profit.

Genoa(Linen cloth)-Pisa(Silk Cloth) is not a good trade route. Because Pisa also produces Linen Cloth the effect of selling Linen Cloth in Pisa reduced twice. The better route is Pisa(Silk Cloth)-Naples(Wool Cloth).

Having tax permit early in the game - peace of cake. Go to Tripoli , wait till 2:00-2:40AM, go to Item Shop, and you can get a turkey tax free permit for only 10000gp. In my case Ottoman Suleiman II gave me that permit for free as a reward for a good job.

About Amsterdam-Timbuktu as a North trade route:
The best trade route with no doubt is Istanbul-Athens. The only reason to switch to North is to build a good fleet of LaReales or Full-Riggeds and to develop key ports. If you do Amsterdam-Timbuktu, then you cannot invest in time into key ports. If you do Hamburg-Copenhagen you can [invest in every North city every month]+[order new super ships]+[made trade route 3 times per month] because you are always at North.
And one more thing: Timbuktu needs to be invested 1-2 times and waiting 1-2 month.

Ahnassi 01-06-2006 01:44 AM

Gaining early game tax permit.

*- item available at Item shop between 2:00-2:40 AM. Icon at Item shop will be darkened as if it does not works. Enter anyway and you will get special items.

Tax Free Permit (E)(*)
Definition:
A permit issued by England. It gives one tax-exempt status when trading
in ports allied with England.
Price: $10,000 Gold.
Ports: Danzig.

Tax Free Permit (H)(*)
Definition:
A permit issued by Holland. It gives one tax-exempt status when trading
in ports allied with Holland.
Ports: Antwerp.

Tax Free Permit (I)(*)
Definition:
A permit issued by Italy. It gives one tax-exempt status when trading
in ports allied with Italy.
Ports: Syracuse.

Tax Free Permit (P)(*)
Definition:
A permit issued by Portugal. It gives one tax-exempt status when trading
in ports allied with Portugal.
Ports: Salonika.

Tax Free Permit (S)(*)
Definition:
A permit issued by Spain. It gives one tax-exempt status when trading
in ports allied with Spain.
Ports: Azov.

Tax Free Permit (T)(*)
Definition:
A permit issued by Turkey. It gives one tax-exempt status when trading
in ports allied with Turkey.
Ports: Tripoli.

BTW , when I played with ALI the guard at the palace says that Tax permit costs 70000!!!. I'd better buy one at Tripoli.

PS. When you invest into a port it becomes ally with your country(check ally status at Inn->Port Info). And tax permit start working. To check this go to the market and try to buy something . If broker says "You have tax permit..." it is good. If not then Invest more into Market and/or Shipyard. The only need to buy foreign permits is to trade in capitals. Because capitals does not allow to invest.

Ahnassi 01-06-2006 01:56 AM

:sos:
How to increase ALI's Intuition and Knowledge?
He is dumb as rock :wallbash: . I can't learn my hero any skills(gunnery-not enough courage, cartography -not enough something else, Celestial Navigation - not enough something else).

laiocfar 01-06-2006 05:21 AM

Quote:

But "adjusting" the economy seems to imply hexediting.[/b]
Nope, it is market manipulation, its already explained.

I made a list with all special items, i f someone need it.

Quote:

How to increase ALI's Intuition and Knowledge?[/b]
Sailing, you can get ALi to get near all skills and for that the base skills (intuition, etc, etc) at top. Sailing do most of job, try to make long trips of many days to better effect. After make several sailing, you can get skills but i never managed to raise aliīs courage (needed for gunnery). Swordplay is easy coz with the crusader stuff you become unstopable but aliīs courage are very unrated.

Ahnassi 02-06-2006 01:57 AM

Yess! I got carronades for my ship.

Guess where I got it - in Bordeaux (economy 865/ industry 1000)

I come to Bordeaux, went to shipyard , invested 50000, and at REMODEL menu i checked figureheads - nothing special, but when i requested a GUNS shipbuilder says "we have something special". And I replaced my 150 canons for 150 carronades :). But there was no Godess figures proposal :(. I tried to enter and exit REMODEL menu. and even Enter and exit shipyard - no more proposals.

How often this special proposal occur? 1 time per city or 1 time per day? does getting carronades eliminate the chance of getting Godess figures forever?

I have 7 defenseless LaReales and 1 Full-Rigged ship (101 durability, crew -220, guns 150 carronades, shots 150, food 300,water 300) and first mate with gunnery skill
I Know that to win a battle you need crew allocated to combat equal the number of cannons , quantity of shots equal the number of cannons, you need to sink pirate's flagship.

Is this one ship is enough to defeat Idin Leis?

Ahnassi 02-06-2006 08:33 AM

I defeated 2 fleets

1 battle fleet 4 Galleons(gush! that ship is so slow!) + 2 Carracks
1 battle fleet 4 buss +2 talettes(he got a basterd sword too)

both battles won only by duel. Crusader armor - rulezz. I play ALI and this does not helps to super mega experinced pirates.

About differences in PC and SNES.

I went to Bristol shipyard and got message "we have andvanced choice of figureheads today"
Bristol = Ecomony 865/ Industry 872, luck =99%
I got Angel figureheads which is next to Dragon.

Is this Angel(PC) equals Godess(SNES) or Angel is Less Then Godess?

another_guest 02-06-2006 11:45 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(laiocfar @ Jun 1 2006, 05:21 AM) [snapback]233581[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Quote:

But "adjusting" the economy seems to imply hexediting.[/b]
Nope, it is market manipulation, its already explained.
I made a list with all special items, i f someone need it.
[/b]
Yes, but early in the game you don't have enough money to really manipulate the market enough.

There's a manual all over the internet with all the special items, their location, price, etc. so I hope you didn't spend too much time making your list ;)

This special proposal occurs depending on your luck (improve it by donating in the church/mosque, as explained a few posts ago by who-was-it-again)
It's certainly possible to have both goddess figureheads and carronades on the same ship. Seems like your luck wasn't enough yet.

Better allocate more crew than the number of cannons: otherwise whenever you lose men in combat, your ship's cannons won't be fully effective anymore.
Quantity of shots: you don't need 1 shot per cannon! In fact 1 shot equals 1 shot of all your cannons in battle. So about 10-15 shots per ship is usually enough.

I wouldn't bet on winning with 1 ship: sometimes it's very hard to reach the pirate's flagship, and then your fleet -or worse, your own flagship- can take heavy hits before you get there.
Get a few captains with gunnery skill, equip their ships with cannons as well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ahnassi @ Jun 2 2006, 01:57 AM) [snapback]233708[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

How often this special proposal occur? 1 time per city or 1 time per day? does getting carronades eliminate the chance of getting Godess figures forever?

I know that to win a battle you need crew allocated to combat equal the number of cannons , quantity of shots equal the number of cannons, you need to sink pirate's flagship.

Is this one ship is enough to defeat Idin Leis?
[/b]

laiocfar 03-06-2006 01:32 AM

And other reply, the donation of 10 ten times the 10th of your money, gives you some extra luck.

Ahnassi 05-06-2006 06:12 AM

I found :
1)Angel precedes Godess
2)Messages at shipyard about available Godess and Angel figures are the same and in PC version are:
http://www.geocities.com/ajirra/ANGEL.gif
3)You can get Godess and Carronades for 1 visit at Shipyard:
goto Remodel menu in shipyard. Select and ENTER "Figurehead" item. If Shipbuilder says something like shown in the picture above then buy your Godess figurehead. if not then just ESCape figurehead menu and ENTER again. So pressing Enter and Esc 15 times surely gives you a Godess figurehead. The same is true for carronades.
4) Godess figurehead appears only in ports with 1000 Industry. Angel starts to appear at 850 industry.

5) Idin Leis can beaten by 1 ship. Have a ship with ~300 or more crew. Save before Battle. Go into Battle. If his ship is close enough and other enemy ship does not make you an obstacle to reach enemy flagship then you can come to his ship and call Idin Leis for duel. Basterd Sword+Crusader Armor and you are unbeatable. Best tactic is Parry-Strike.

laiocfar 05-06-2006 09:58 PM

If their crew is bigger, he will not duel when you challenge and normal melee combat will come. He will challenge you anyway after the melee combat in their turn.
PD: i know that you say more 300 crew, Venetian Galess got 360 crew. And 8 VG are hard to overcome.

another_guest 06-06-2006 10:21 AM

Exactly... I'd go for 400 crew, or 500 if possible.
And don't forget to change their distribution so that for example 50-60% are assigned to combat.
Typically I try to have 100-150 on my other ships as well, maybe a little more on ships 2 and 3. And simply max. cannons on all ships. After some trading, money is not an issue.

Ahnassi 08-06-2006 06:31 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(another_guest @ Jun 6 2006, 09:21 PM) [snapback]234714[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

And don't forget to change their distribution so that for example 50-60% are assigned to combat.
Typically I try to have 100-150 on my other ships as well, maybe a little more on ships 2 and 3. And simply max. cannons on all ships. After some trading, money is not an issue.
[/b]
I won Kahr ad-Din the italian pirate.

He have 6 VG and 2 smaller ships

I got 2 full-riggeds with 150 carronades and 300 crew on each and 6 LaReales with no guns and 30 crew on each.
I ordered all ships to Rush attack an enemy flagship. And the second full-rigged ordered to fire first.
Each of my ships at least 1 time have a 1 rush attack on the enemy flagship.
So when I got an access to the enemy Flagship Kahr ad-Din had 200 crew and I had 250.
After I won a duel he said "... I underestimated you...."

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(another_guest @ Jun 6 2006, 09:21 PM) [snapback]234714[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

[/b]
500!!! How do you feed them??? :omg2:

I have 300 crew , 300 food, 300 water, 150 carronades,150 shots and rigged is full. :(
Ration set to 95%

another_guest 08-06-2006 07:13 AM

I feed them with supplies from the other ships. All in all I have about an 18-day range with such a fleet, that's even enough to round Africa. Of course to reach Asia I lower the number of crew, more like 250-300 on the main ship and 80-100 on each of the other ships, depending on the ships' types. I've had too often that I sailed to Asia with a very light fleet with 40 days range and wasn't able to avoid some pirates. Really painful :P

laiocfar 08-06-2006 01:42 PM

It isnt easy to make the other ships to rush a bigger ship, you need ex-pirates captains with improved loyalty. Most of the others will recibe your ordens and run away.

Ahnassi 09-06-2006 01:30 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(laiocfar @ Jun 9 2006, 12:42 AM) [snapback]235195[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

It isnt easy to make the other ships to rush a bigger ship, you need ex-pirates captains with improved loyalty. Most of the others will recibe your ordens and run away.
[/b]
YEp! agreed!
but ex-pirates have a extremely high requirements to hire :(. They have a navigation level 12 or higher and battle level 16 or higher. My ALI have only 6 level on navigation.
Cizzaro Fedeliti is the only pirate whom i can hire but he is low on seamanship and hard to train.

laiocfar 09-06-2006 03:26 AM

And worst pirates are low in loyalty so they will run away with your ships

another_guest 10-06-2006 09:45 AM

I try not to let them rush the enemy ships, but command them to shoot it. Of course most of your fleet won't do much useful in battle, but some captains that aren't ex-pirates are still ok. If they've got gunnery skills, they can do quite some damage.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(laiocfar @ Jun 8 2006, 01:42 PM) [snapback]235195[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

[/b]

laiocfar 10-06-2006 06:22 PM

There are there mainly types of captains. First the pirates, they must be defeated in order to hire, they are hard to hire and they need a huge training(sailing) to start to feel loyal to ya. Second, the merchants they are easy to find can be hired after short time depending in their sailing skills. Third there are the special captains here i set the start mates that cant be avoided as Rocco some of them are jerks, some other good battleship captains or skilled sailors without combat skills. And there are some merchant captains that arent so easy to hire but no for a high sailing skill, they are harder to hire coz they got also some combat skills.
Anyway they need top courage to dont run away from a VG with a 30 crewmen ship.

Ahnassi 13-06-2006 12:18 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ahnassi @ May 31 2006, 06:19 PM) [snapback]233406[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

I found new North trade route.
Buy dye at Hamburg sell at Copenhagen. Buy Glassware at Copenhagen and sell at Hamburg.
adjust economy in "Other" category 150% at Hamburg, and 50% at Copenhagen.

here is a calculation. for my fleet
http://www.geocities.com/ajirra/ntr.gif

it takes 6 days to make 1 round

This route gives you enough money to build a good fleet and quickly invest in all north cities:
Bourdeaux, Bristol, Copenhagen,Hamburg,Lubeck, Antwerp. And you still have a money to get Full-Rigged ship.
[/b]

laiocfar 13-06-2006 03:17 AM

When having good fleets i find better same market manipulation but with Worlwide routes that can give ya 60.000.000 go per voyage and if it takes 6 months it gives 120,000,000 per year. And you can discount some balms.
The problem is when you can afroad the payload or just dont get good and big ships, so use the Athens-Istambul route or the Ahnassiīs money machine.

another_guest 13-06-2006 07:36 AM

What's really annoying is that the price goes up immediately if you buy some cargo, I think you should be able to buy cargo for all your ships before the price increases :P

laiocfar 14-06-2006 03:25 AM

You should use the water(empty) ship to make market manipulation. If it isnt empty unload it, water is free.

Macha 14-06-2006 09:45 PM

This game seems more difficult than I remember it being...and that was on the Genesis years ago. I'm starting on the SNES version now with Cat and not getting off to a good start. The various faqs i've read suggest attacking but that seems suicidal at this point in the game. It's still kind of fun as I remember it being but a little frustrating right now until I figure out what i'm doing.

I like the mentioning of Black Beard...considering the game setting is supposed to be nearly two centuries before the Golden Age Of Piracy.
I wonder if the developers did any research into what a carronade was:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carronade

That's just nitpicky stuff though :)

laiocfar 14-06-2006 10:44 PM

Cat, bad start? you got a 180 crew galleon with suplies and 10.000 gc.
You should make piracy over europe and by the way, you should get more navigators(the most you got, the most ship that you can capture to sell later, try of getting capable sailors for capture ships and some expirates for when you build more ships), an armor (Cat is good in swordplay, with passable weapons can win all duels but for be sure for 300.000 you can got Errolīs armor at Copenhagen), a sword(same as armor), invest in Bristol for good ships (A good idea can be to exchange your early galleons, that arent easy to manouver for Xebec). When you complete that make a new fleet of frigates and enjoy the power.
But you say that problems are at start, allocate more of the crew to war (with 35 sailors at nav Cat can move the ship at 15Knt). And when come into battle attack the flagship of merchant fleet without delay, rushing it is the best way. Duel, only when their cap sucks at swordplay and only if you got some decent weapons.

Macha 15-06-2006 12:39 AM

Usually there was a wall of ships between mine and the flagship or that flagship would charge in and duel me. I didn't think you could force a duel if you had less crew but I guess the CPU can?

I finally did manage to catch a merchant fleet and immediately went to buy cannons which has helped.

What percentage of crew do you actually need on lookout?

Playing UW before playing UW:NH give you a better appreciation for the game too :) I just finished UW...it's kind of fun once you get the heavy galleons with a hundred cannon.

another_guest 15-06-2006 02:12 PM

No, you can't force a duel when you've got less crew.
And yes, it's terribly annoying when you can't reach the enemy flagship...

In the very beginning, flee from pirates but attack merchants from preferably 1 country. And I still think the easiest way to make money is to trade, even if you want to be a pirate.
*spoiler* There's better armour somewhere in or nearby Italy. And in South America you can find the very best sword in the entire game. Get both (costs you about 600000 each) and you'll never lose a duel anymore. Max out the crew on your flagship and rush into duels...

10-15% on the lookout should be enough, unless you're going for an adventurer's career.
Then increase the % of crew on navigation until your ship's speed reaches its maximum (and take into account that the slowest ship determines the speed of your entire fleet), then assign the rest to combat.
50% on combat should be possible if you don't have a small crew.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Macha @ Jun 15 2006, 12:39 AM) [snapback]236903[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Usually there was a wall of ships between mine and the flagship or that flagship would charge in and duel me. I didn't think you could force a duel if you had less crew but I guess the CPU can?

I finally did manage to catch a merchant fleet and immediately went to buy cannons which has helped.

What percentage of crew do you actually need on lookout?

Playing UW before playing UW:NH give you a better appreciation for the game too :) I just finished UW...it's kind of fun once you get the heavy galleons with a hundred cannon.
[/b]

Ahnassi 16-06-2006 12:32 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(another_guest @ Jun 16 2006, 01:12 AM) [snapback]236965[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

10-15% on the lookout should be enough, unless you're going for an adventurer's career.
[/b]
What did they looking out?
I have 30% for lookout but only on 1 ship. Other ships have 0% on lookout.

From my experience I learnt that:
lookout is important in locating villages and new ports.
if you trading on known route then you don't need a lookout.

another_guest 16-06-2006 07:55 AM

That's something I didn't check yet, if it's enough to have lookouts on 1 ship rather than on every ship.

I do keep some lookouts even when trading, so I can spot pirate fleets in time. Early in the game that's necessary to avoid them, later in the game it's useful to seek and destroy them :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ahnassi @ Jun 16 2006, 12:32 AM) [snapback]237059[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

What did they looking out?
I have 30% for lookout but only on 1 ship. Other ships have 0% on lookout.

From my experience I learnt that:
lookout is important in locating villages and new ports.
if you trading on known route then you don't need a lookout.
[/b]

laiocfar 17-06-2006 06:02 AM

lookouts are only for explorers, you can live with 0 explorers in pirate or merchant campaing. Is the same to got 1 lookouts per ship iwith 10 ships or 10 lookouts in only one ship.
Playing Cat or Otto that start with a galleon, you remodel the ship to 200 crew, i set 18% to nav and rest to war, i dont uses cannons they are too expensive to build and mantain and is easier to rush them. To buy best equipment Copenhagen and Naples got 300.000 and 600.000 for on of the superarmors. For the superblades, 300.000 in timbuktu, 240.000 in some chiness port, there are also superblades in Margarita(SouthAmerica) and somewhere in India. Merchants fleets of six ships as naos with 80 crew and carracks of 100 crew, there are a piece of cake even for one galleon with 200 people. At begining of game, the merchant fleets are poor and the rich cargoes are always rare, the only money comes from captured ships so better to rush enemies flagships when the fleet is toughrder than when most of them have runned away. Only attack flagships and should do it in 3 hand to hand attacks as max.

Macha 20-06-2006 06:57 PM

I just stripped Cat's ship and started with trading...once i've gotten enough gold i'll convert back to being a pirate. I need 1,200,000 to get the best weapon and armor for dueling(shop at 2AM) and then the cost of building better ships.

laiocfar 20-06-2006 08:56 PM

Bad done, anyway there is another super armor inCopenhagen at 2 am and only cost 300.000 gc + the most espensive sword is in Timbuktu for 340.000, gc never 1.200.000. Anyway if you will make some trade before start as pirate, not use old Catīs galleion. It got only 72 durability(life), captured galleons will come with 80 and investing in Bristol to got Frigates (my favorite ship)

another_guest 22-06-2006 09:54 AM

Well, if you want the best armor it's the one costing 600.000 + at least 300.000 for one of the best swords
--> totals close to a million

I think there's a more expensive blade than the one in Timbuktu, seem to remember I once paid 360.000

Anyway, the cost for a really good fleet (think full rigged or those japanese ships) is much higher than that 900.000, especially if you want good figureheads and cannons.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(laiocfar @ Jun 20 2006, 08:56 PM) [snapback]238273[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Bad done, anyway there is another super armor inCopenhagen at 2 am and only cost 300.000 gc + the most espensive sword is in Timbuktu for 340.000, gc never 1.200.000. Anyway if you will make some trade before start as pirate, not use old Catīs galleion. It got only 72 durability(life), captured galleons will come with 80 and investing in Bristol to got Frigates (my favorite ship)
[/b]

laiocfar 23-06-2006 12:30 AM

Quote:

Well, if you want the best armor it's the one costing 600.000 [/b]
Why you ignore Herrolīs plate with (*) rate, it cost 300.000 at 2AM in Copenhagen and it is as good as crusader armor.
You can build passable war fleets of xebecs, galleons or La Reales. Without good figureheads and with normal cannons. Or better capture them.

another_guest 23-06-2006 07:37 AM

Heh, we won't start a discussion, but I've learned to buy good figureheads if I want to sail to South America or Asia. Otherwise you've got a far bigger chance of losing ships or crew to random events.

laiocfar 23-06-2006 10:18 PM

There a few number of place where random events can be and the figureheads are for increase luck. Anyway, is true for first voyages to Asia and America u need some luck or an small ship (Pinnace or Sloop) for exploring with 5 extra crew.

Guest 09-07-2006 05:46 PM

Ive never understood how you duel. Ive played the SNES version and have'nt got a clue how I win. Is it just luck?

laiocfar 09-07-2006 10:38 PM

There are 3 types of attack and 3 defences. Each defence stop only one type of attack and take extradamage from other attack. So most is the level of swordplay from the rivels. But the level of armor and sword is also important. As only human player can got a set of hidden super weapons (there are many superblades and superamors with * rate, the max AI is A), having these weapons make you a sort of terminator of dueling. Also some blades and armors are more suitable to differents types of move. By example, the Creceant blade is better for striking.

Guest 10-07-2006 05:01 PM

So its kind of a paper and scissors type thing and is really down to luck, until that is you get better armor and weapons?

laiocfar 12-07-2006 10:35 PM

Yes...
Anyway swordplay is important and if with your pirate character with high swodplay you duel with a merchant of low swordplay you got the upperhand by some little advantage.
About outclass by waepons, most of AI commodores got weapons of A/B level and sometimes C. You start with no wepons or B sword and no armor so first you need to level weaponary. If you can buy superweapons you will outclass them and defeat like a piece of cake.

Guest 12-07-2006 10:38 PM

Thanks ;)

ShadowBlade 16-07-2006 08:47 PM

Hey, guys. A little question: How do you invest in the market more than once? I'm trying to get gold to appear in Madeira, but I only get to invest once, and after that the guy says something like "your generosity's overwhelming, I can't really accept any more."

PS: A little tip on storms. If you're sailing near the coast when you find yourself in the middle of a storm, sail to it and use the anchor option (same menu as Auto Sail) and disembark on terra firma. That way you can wait out the storm without suffering damage to your ships nor using balms.

laiocfar 17-07-2006 12:48 AM

The economy rate(market) got a max of 1000, if the cargo that you are looking for doesnt comes in 1000 it is unavaible in that port. Anyway, if that last isnt the problem, you should knowk that you can invest 50.000 gc max per month.

ShadowBlade 17-07-2006 02:54 PM

Ah, that's it. That means I'll have to wait 4 or 5 months (investing every month) for gold to appear in Madeira... :crybaby:

blazer-glory 17-07-2006 04:00 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ShadowBlade @ Jul 17 2006, 03:54 PM) [snapback]243631[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Ah, that's it. That means I'll have to wait 4 or 5 months (investing every month) for gold to appear in Madeira... :crybaby:
[/b]
Im a bit confused about what you lot are talking about here(?) Are you saying that you set up a market for something that isn't already available?

Shrek 17-07-2006 04:36 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ShadowBlade @ Jul 17 2006, 03:54 PM) [snapback]243631[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

[/b]
Hum, I don't think you'll find gold in Madeira, even if you invest a large amount of money there....and even if you do, it won't be cheap... I suggest you to go and buy it at the eastern African coast, take 2 or 3 lager ships (xebecs or carracks) fill them with gold and bring them to northern Europe... you'll be millionaire in 2 or 3 trips like that (I remember once the bank refused to accept any more of my money so I had to carry over 100 gold ingots with me - and I attracted all the pirates who crossed in my way....)

ShadowBlade 17-07-2006 06:44 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shrek @ Jul 17 2006, 04:36 PM) [snapback]243649[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ShadowBlade @ Jul 17 2006, 03:54 PM) [snapback]243631[/snapback]
Quote:

[/b]
Hum, I don't think you'll find gold in Madeira, even if you invest a large amount of money there....and even if you do, it won't be cheap... I suggest you to go and buy it at the eastern African coast, take 2 or 3 lager ships (xebecs or carracks) fill them with gold and bring them to northern Europe... you'll be millionaire in 2 or 3 trips like that (I remember once the bank refused to accept any more of my money so I had to carry over 100 gold ingots with me - and I attracted all the pirates who crossed in my way....)
[/b][/quote]
Gold appeared on my second investment. It costs 420 (which I can haggle down to 399) at its cheapest, and I can sell it back at Genoa for 1500 a piece. I currently have two Venetian Galeasses, modded to get 830 cargo space (120 bunks, 0 guns), so I can ferry 1460 lots of Gold (730 per ship, 100 lots reserved for 50 food and 50 water) and get about 2 million (200 ingots) per trip (which takes about 12 days from departure to return to Genoa). This route has proven extremely profitable: I've over 9 million pieces of gold right now.

zakuruchi 17-07-2006 06:57 PM

just browsed by and saw the topic.

well, as far as i remember, you can get Gold to be available in Madeira's market. In fact it's one of the closest port to Europe that sells Gold. But as Shrek has pointed out, it's not cheap. If you wanted to trade gold to Europe, you'd better make a trans-atlantic route to Rio de Janeiro. They're one of the cheapest gold-selling port, and it's quite easy to fix the market there. As for the gold-buying port, i'd suggest Copenhagen since they sell silver to use in the precious metal's market fixing. Needs careful market fixing to get the maximum profit though. I raised around two thousand ingots in my Joao playthrough trading gold between Rio-Copenhagen several times with a fleet of 10 tekkousens. The downside to this route is that the trip would be rather slow since you'll be running against wind in one of the trip, depending on the season.

another tip on storms, always bring balms with you, especially if you're sailing on high seas or coastal lines around Japan and India. I guess you'd know that using balms in the middle of a storm would calm it. If you want to cut down on the balm usage, have maximum luck via church donations and bring the goddess figurehead on your ship(s). On my Ernst playthrough i finished the map using a la reale with goddess figurehead and met with only a single storm and totally zero sea monsters.

As for waeapons.. as far as i remember, the msot expensive sword is the Muramasa which you can buy in Japan. Any * grade blade would do though. Even a claymore or flamberge (A grade) would usually be enough if you have a * grade armor (errol or crusader). as far as i know, there are two * grade armors, both can be bought in europe, and five * grade swords, none of them are in europe. One in africa, one in india, two in the far east, and one in south america.

btw, is there anyone here that have managed to recruit Pilly Reis? if so, please inform me of the nav or combat level of your char when you got him. I've gotten all the major pirates, but i've yet to have the legendary sailor Reis.

ShadowBlade 17-07-2006 11:39 PM

Genoa does sell silver, it's its specialty, and I use it to manipulate both Genoa's and Madeira's market to 150% and 50%, respectively. Madeira-Genoa is still more profitable than any other route, mainly because it's way shorter and therefore quicker to complete than the rest. I can make two million pieces of gold per trip with just two Venetian Galeasses, so technically I could make 10 million with 10 of those ships.

laiocfar 18-07-2006 12:44 AM

Well, it looks like a really good route.
Anyway the best route is the "money machine" but it requires many supplies, a big fleet and a half year with best captains.

zakuruchi 18-07-2006 03:01 AM

ah, i remembered now why i didn't took the gold to genoa. It's becuase I'm at -100 with all countries besides portugal at that time, and since Genoa is Italy's capital port I can't buy them off ^^;

all in all, gold trading to europe seems the most profitable for short periods, but requires quite some capital in starting the trade because of the market manipulating and starting investment, since whether it's north african or south american, most ports don't sell gold right off the bat. For starter routes, i'd suggest the ever-popular athens-istanbul arts-carpet run, mainly because it's the safest route around for an extremely short distance. If you're trading while exploring at the same time... running nutmegs or silk to europe from asia does have some profit, but you'll need a huge fleet and good captains to make decent profit from it.

Guest 18-07-2006 11:50 AM

Can someone explain what the 'investing in markets' does and how it works?

ShadowBlade 18-07-2006 04:43 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Jul 18 2006, 11:50 AM) [snapback]243749[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Can someone explain what the 'investing in markets' does and how it works?
[/b]
You can invest in the town's market (to get new goods to show up) and shipyard (to get better ships, guns and/or figures) once a month. When you enter the corresponding building, use the Invest option to give up to 50,000 gold pieces (5 ingots). You can do that once a month, and the port will also ally itself with your country and (I think) give you discounts when you buy stuff there.

blazer-glory 18-07-2006 04:54 PM

Thats seems alot of money for not much in return

Shrek 18-07-2006 05:28 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(blazer-glory @ Jul 18 2006, 05:54 PM) [snapback]243793[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Thats seems alot of money for not much in return
[/b]
Depends on your point of view... 5 ingots per month in 2 or 3 investments (a total of 15 ingots) may sound too much, but remember: if you can make 200 ingots per trip, like ShadowBlade said (or even only 50 ingots) your investment will be quickly refunded. After you get some money, don't be afraid to invest it, as you can gain much more than you invested - but invest it wisely.

zakuruchi 18-07-2006 06:16 PM

as an added bonus, investment in a port increases your country's relationship with the particular port. If your country's investments are high enough, the port may even decide to ally itself to your country, making good use of those tax free permits :D for pirates, investing in a port reduces the port's loyalty to every country. You can use this to create a safe haven for your pirating activities by "buying off" some key ports.

Do remember, though that investing in a port that is allied with another country would result in a negative effect in your relationship with that country. (and investing enough to "buy off" a port usually nets a good increase in your fame in trading, so you'll probably want to do this often when playing Ali)

blazer-glory 18-07-2006 10:16 PM

But do you get anything cash back for your investments and what are the best ports to invest in? What factors should you take into consideration when choosing a port to invest in?

Guest 19-07-2006 03:38 AM

nope, you don't get any raw cash from your investment. As Shrek had said, the advantage is that you'll have access to better trade goods and having the privilege to buy them at lower prices if the port becomes allied with your country and you got a tax free permit. Those, in turn, would give you a good return for the investment, but not immediately.

Mostly, you'll only want to invest in ports that will provide better trade goods as the economy rating becomes higher. This is usually true with ports in africa and south america, such as Madeira and Rio de Janeiro. Higher economy in a city also means that they don't run out goods easily, so you can carry a larger load with you, especially true for spice ports like Bankao, Sunda, or Amboa which have great cheap goods but doesn't have much stock because of their low starting economy.

Another reason to invest is to get more ships and weaponry by investing in the shipyard and increasing the town's industrial rating. Keep in mind that the industrial and economic rating are entirely separate and an investment in one would not affect the other's rating. For industrial investments, you'll want to do this on ports that provide powerful late-game ships when their industrial rating becomes higher, such as Bristol, dublin, lubeck, antwerp, sakai, and nagasaki.

The last reason is to ally yourself witht he port, especially true for pirate of privateer players which will be chased out from the enemy ports too often to run their businesses there.

In summary, the factors you should consider in investing is :

a) the economic potential of the city (e.g. the future trade goods made available by investment)

b) the advanced ships the port provides

c) the location of the port in regards to your trading route plans and/or pirating needs.

blazer-glory 19-07-2006 04:44 PM

Wow thanks for the reply. I really didnt know this game was soo deep. The more you play it the more you seem to have to do! :)

Shrek 19-07-2006 04:51 PM

Oh, it is.... and if you pay attention, you'll notice your character path will cross the other characters path as the game progresses...

laiocfar 20-07-2006 03:13 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(blazer-glory @ Jul 18 2006, 07:16 PM) [snapback]243841[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

But do you get anything cash back for your investments and what are the best ports to invest in? What factors should you take into consideration when choosing a port to invest in?
[/b]
Industry:
BRISTOL

Nagasaki an Sakai.

Economy:
only for alliance according to trade.

JR 23-07-2006 10:32 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(blazer-glory @ Jul 18 2006, 10:16 PM) [snapback]243841[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

[/b]
Note that the aggregate economy and industry #'s of a port are the points that your trader fames increases by.

So, 90E + 90I= 180 fame points for a small African port

another_guest 24-07-2006 11:10 AM

In addition, it's often useful to invest in Bordeaux and/or Zeiton: if you keep these ports as ally you'll always be able to buy a new supply of balm. It's always annoying having to risk 3/4 of your cash on hand just to get hold of some balm.

laiocfar 25-07-2006 01:57 AM

you can dock in enemy port at night... you can be robbed but it isnt so common.

Guest 31-07-2006 11:15 AM

Does taking on a career actually change the outcome of the game or is it just a way of raising cash and stats?
Also on several occasions Ive signed up with cartographers and then forgotten which one I signed with. Is there no way of telling?

another_guest 31-07-2006 04:26 PM

The career you take on will change the "scores" (adventure, trading, pirating) you get, which will influence how fast the game advances because sometimes the trigger for a next step in the game is that your score in adventure/trading/pirating reaches a certain level.

Don't the other cartographers tell you that you already have a contract with a different cartographer when you try to sign a contract with them?

Guest 31-07-2006 04:56 PM

Erm I dont recall they did. I went in and had the option to 'learn skills' and so I agreed, for the second time Im sure. I made a point of signing up to one before I went off to look for new lands, Im sure I did. Unless it was a celestrial navigation contract I had, if there is such a thing. (?)

Guest 31-07-2006 05:39 PM

Actually I may have solve my dilema. I think when I visted the last cartographer he may have questioned me I think I assumed it was the king of Spain's contract he was referring to. The king asks you at some stage to discover new things for him. Is there anyway to tell which contract you have and with who?

Guest 03-08-2006 04:53 PM

Um im in a pickle with Ali I am a knight with nothing to do, i see the next stage is to find Jeno and help him but i cant find him. also i keep getting from the intambul dock master that their is a weapon in massawa i went there and found a locked huge building.

another_guest 03-08-2006 06:17 PM

*Spoiler*

www.the-spoiler.com/RPG/Koei.games/uncharted.waters.2.1.html is one of the sites that host a walkthrough for each character, hope this can help you out...

Guest 06-08-2006 07:14 PM

no im in betweeen the places.

the sultan wont give me favors, ladia wont meet Jaoh, and i cant find the wepon the port master talks bout in massawa

i havt 10235 merchant fame, im a knight and lost.

im also ali

HELP

another_guest 07-08-2006 01:03 AM

I remember being stuck in the same situation.

Try allying with lots of ports, I seem to remember that worked for me; at a certain point people will start complaining to you about the increasing power of the Turkish empire and that's when the story goes forward again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 6 2006, 07:14 PM) [snapback]247051[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

no im in betweeen the places.

the sultan wont give me favors, ladia wont meet Jaoh, and i cant find the wepon the port master talks bout in massawa
[/b]

Guest 07-08-2006 04:19 PM

i keep on getting killed by British and portuguese trade fleets as im talking over Africa with those two always hunting me.

also when do i meet the italian adventurer that i gave 10000 gold to

another_guest 08-08-2006 01:21 AM

What fleet do you currently have, how much cash do you have on hand?
Also, if you don't have the gold yet for a decent fleet and/or great armor and sword, keep trading on safe lines until you have acquired enough wealth.

Either go for a light, very fast fleet (speed of slowest ship at least 18 knots) and keep on the lookout for any enemy fleets,
or go for a well armed fleet,
or third option: buy some of the most expensive armor and sword, have a lot of crew on your flagship, then challenge the enemy captain to a duel.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 7 2006, 04:19 PM) [snapback]247230[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

i keep on getting killed by British and portuguese trade fleets as im talking over Africa with those two always hunting me.

also when do i meet the italian adventurer that i gave 10000 gold to
[/b]

UW2 fan 08-08-2006 04:26 PM

Hi, i realised that nobody mentioned about resetting your character's friendship with countries..
Especially when you play Ali and Catalina, you will tend to make enemies with other countries, (your friendship with those countries will be red 100).
Solution: Just go to the capital of those countries, enter the palace and try to get yourself caught by the guards. He will then bring you to see the King, who will confiscate 4/5 of your gold possessions (including those in your bank account). After which your relationship with that country will be reset to 0.

Therefore, some preparation will be required before meeting these greedy kings.
Example:
(1) Buy shiploads of gold or other expensive goods and moor them in the various capital harbours.
(2) Buy lots of crusader armours (and bare having to lose 1/2 of your gold instead of the 4/5)
(3) ... others... <_<

*i love this game*

laiocfar 09-08-2006 12:29 AM

(3) just wipe them out!!!

Guest 09-08-2006 09:35 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(laiocfar @ Aug 9 2006, 12:29 AM) [snapback]247424[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

(3) just wipe them out!!!
[/b]

Now that sounds alittle more appealing and slightly less expensive! ^_^

blazer-glory 09-08-2006 09:39 PM

Is it possible in excel in every career? .Pirate, trade and adventurer?

another_guest 10-08-2006 12:31 AM

Well, you can take up any career that you want, but if you want the storyline to go forward, you need to reach the required score in a certain career, regardless of how good you're doing in the other careers.
For example as Ali you'll need to have a certain score in trading before the story continues, even if your score in piracy is much higher.

blazer-glory 10-08-2006 04:53 PM

Ah I see. Thanks :)

Guest 11-08-2006 04:30 PM

for those who do not know, i'm slowly developing a new version of this game:
http://geocities.com/rianvoogt/
or later
http://unchartedoceans.com/

blazer-glory 11-08-2006 04:49 PM

Ooooh nice. I'll keep and eye on that one! If you need any help with graphics etc I can offer some help :)

Guest 19-08-2006 12:28 PM

Getting a fatal error (black screen) every time i try to board an enemy flagship (playing with Catalina). I am running the game on dosbox under windows xp. I think someone suggested to use the 2disc-version, but i was unable to find a working one. Any suggestions?
Anyway this game is a gem, hopefully its sequels will be translated into english or remade on a modern engine (gamebryo).

Guest 25-08-2006 08:12 AM

im running dosbox.65 and i getthe same problem as the previous poster. my comp locks up. any suggestions?

another_guest 25-08-2006 12:26 PM

1. Did you try Dosbox 0.63 to see if that works? (for me 0.63 does absolutely fine, haven't tried 0.65 yet)

2. What settings (# cycles, sound settings, ...) are you using for Dosbox?

3. Have you tried downloading the archive again, because once in a while something goes wrong during the download?

simpervy 11-09-2006 09:27 AM

just wondering how many ship can we actually own. i mean including those in store and fleet and under construction coz i got a problem. i got a fleet of 9 ships sailing around and one being store in london. also i have 3 ships under construction. the problem is i cant add a new ship to my fleet. everytimes i add the last one either i got it as a prize after the battle or commission the brand new ships its dissapear. while if i recommision the one i had in store there isnt any problem. i have also got 14 mates and around 800 ingots of cash (including the one in the bank). hope anyone can help how to solve this problem. its really annoying coz i want to create a specialized fleet such for trading, battle and exploring.

another_guest 13-09-2006 12:41 PM

Weird, sounds like a bug from your description, though I never had that.
The limit would be:
1) Max. number of ships in your fleet: 9 or 10?
2) Max. number of ships stored in port docks (I think you could only store ships in capitals): max. 5 stored per port

simpervy 14-09-2006 02:50 PM

well i figure it out coz i only have about 12 port or so and the total number of ships i have is 13 i think (including being build and store). once i got the port number increase i can commission those ships which is under construction. thanks anyway another_guest.

Guest 17-09-2006 08:03 PM

So to summerize I guess you CAN only have so many per port. More ports though equals more ship, yes?

another_guest 18-09-2006 10:24 AM

Exactly, you can commission 5 ships in each capital. So if you discover some capitals that means you can have more ships overall.
However the fleet you travel around with is limited to 10 ships.

blazer-glory 18-09-2006 07:50 PM

Thanks AG :)

simpervy 24-09-2006 01:56 AM

its not about discovering new port. its about the number of port ally to whatever country ur game play. coz from begining u already discover all the capital port which all located in europe.

laiocfar 26-09-2006 01:18 AM

Maybe is bug for the ports of India, Japan and China. But i dont know.

simpervy 09-10-2006 04:56 AM

just wondering if any of u who play Uncharted Water 2 ever encounter this problem. it seem once we get the number of port ally to whatever country we playing around 70, the profit of that country become minus. its happen with me. on 1st febuary 1531 i have the number of port ally to england around 62 ports with total profit (check from guild) around 32000+. on 1st of march 1531 when i get to london and check the spree of influence from the king i have 75 ports ally to me and the profit in the information from the guild become -30000+. my personal relation ship with all the country is -100 except with italy which -36 and my country relationship towards other is -30 with all the country except italy which is 20. the problem is when the country profit is at positive side, i can get 10 ingots of gold from the king and when the profit is at negative side, the gold i got from the king is varying around 8000, 10000, 12000 and sometimes i did get 100000. is there any solution for that problem.

the other question i have is, does anyone knew what is the formula of damage inflicted to enemy ship in battle. coz i have observe at once stage i can kill a caravella latina with one shot (durability 30/30) while i need 2 shots to kill hansa cog (durability 20/20). i had a sailing level of 27 and battle level of 23. thanks

laiocfar 24-10-2006 02:20 AM

the first thing looks like a leveler, but it is possible to go for world domination.

about cannon damage, i dont use cannons too much but i can tell you that damage comes from: type of cannon, n° of cannon, n° of crew set at battle, gunnery skill from captain, battle level from captain, luck from captain, distance? and i think it is over.

simpervy 24-10-2006 04:13 AM

what dya mean by leveler mate, and yeah i have observe that even with the country profit at negative value, the merchant fleet of whatever counrty u play is still effective in doing their job. but it will be nice if u see ur country profit in positive value rather in negative value.

on the battle issues, i do notice that the distance between ur ship and target also play a factor in the gun damage.

thanks for replying to my post.

laiocfar 25-10-2006 03:19 AM

I should check my games in order to properly answer about the mistake in profit of the country that is ruling the world. I thinked that it could be a tool for dont let world domination happen. Example: the country allied with everyport gots negative profit (it can by explained as inflation), so their fleets becomes less in number and in ships tipes and numbers.

About distance, i am not sure how it applies but i can tell that the curvelin make more damage if fired from max range than if fired from near.

Guest 30-10-2006 09:41 AM

I'm playing UW2 right now, and so far i'm enjoying every moment of it. ( except that lousy thunderstorm of course )

I'm using Ali as my character
And i have this request from a king in istanbul, he want something special
I've been traveling around the globe to find what he want ... what should i do ? i've been buying circlet and many other items, but i can't give it to the king ?

what does that king really want ? pls guys, help ...

btw :

i have a nice route from Marseille to Santa Cruz
i'd buy something in Marseille with the price of 3 gold
and i sell it in Santa Cruz or Argin with a good price ( probably 30 - 40 gold )

i don't remember what, coz i play it in my home :D
but if you can find what item they sell in price of 3 in marseille, then you know you can make profit in santa cruz/argin

vektorthunder 30-10-2006 09:56 AM

sorry, the nameless post above was mine :D

laiocfar 01-11-2006 02:56 AM

If you are playing Ali (merchant), the sultan give you only 3 tipes of missions: A) Carry a letter to another king or bring back documents, the idea is to go to another capitol.
B) Ally X number of ports, you should go and invest until becomes allied with Ottoman Empire in x number of ports.
C) Bring some rare cargo from the other side of the world, it can change coz if that cargo is found very near to Istambul the city maket will be closed.

Other missions for privatters:
A) Same as merchant.
B) Defeat a fleet or more from an Y nation.

For explores:
A) Same as merchant.
B) Found a special artifact, these are long.
C) Give ya discoveries for free to the king.

simpervy 01-11-2006 03:36 AM

i guess thats must be it. however after u reach the turning point, which i mean from positive to negative value, the profit keep going up. so say when u have 60 port ally with you, the profit is say around 30000 and then the next month the profit become -32000 with 70 port ally and after that if u get more ally port, the profit goes -31000 instead of -33000 and so on. so if the profit thing is a leveler (inflation) then the profit should getting worse instead of better after the turning point. there is also other thing i just notice. with the country profit value become negative, the plunder cash u get from sinking pirate fleet become 500 ingot while the display said 500000+ gold coins which is 50 ingots only just wondering if this thing consider as bug or what.

I'm playing UW2 right now, and so far i'm enjoying every moment of it. ( except that lousy thunderstorm of course )

I'm using Ali as my character
And i have this request from a king in istanbul, he want something special
I've been traveling around the globe to find what he want ... what should i do ? i've been buying circlet and many other items, but i can't give it to the king ?

what does that king really want ? pls guys, help ...

for starter u might go to any pub with waitress and asked for the job info. if she doesn't know then go to the guild the should be able to tell ya. if the guild master cant tell you as well then sail to other port and repeat it again. i dont know if giving gift to the waitress could help u or not. or if u are hunting for someone u may get the information just from treating the whole pub.

vektorthunder 01-11-2006 09:41 AM

simpervy:
thanks, that's a nice tips :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(laiocfar @ Nov 1 2006, 03:56 AM) [snapback]264729[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

If you are playing Ali (merchant), the sultan give you only 3 tipes of missions: A) Carry a letter to another king or bring back documents, the idea is to go to another capitol.
B) Ally X number of ports, you should go and invest until becomes allied with Ottoman Empire in x number of ports.
C) Bring some rare cargo from the other side of the world, it can change coz if that cargo is found very near to Istambul the city maket will be closed.

Other missions for privatters:
A) Same as merchant.
B) Defeat a fleet or more from an Y nation.

For explores:
A) Same as merchant.
B) Found a special artifact, these are long.
C) Give ya discoveries for free to the king.
[/b]
i see ...thx laiocfar i'll give it a try.

Madie 22-11-2006 01:39 PM

I sailed around the world with ernst, but i can't find japanese ports. They say at Zeiton that a port called sakai can be found at 35N 115E. I sailed there but no port. How can I use full lookout

Madie 22-11-2006 01:41 PM

however I used full look out. I still can''t find a port in Japan. Can anyone help me

laiocfar 22-11-2006 10:24 PM

simpervy: there are dialogue when the emperor ask Ali for an especial favor and he gives 50 gold ingots to make the ottoman empire growth and growth. This is a free event, you dont needed anything to payback. To be sure if you dont got a king mission, go to palace, enter if you got an unacoplished mission, you should see some dialogue about it like "we arent still allied with X number of ports. You will give up?"

Madie: in more of characters (Joao for sure, but i dont remember about others), you need to advance the plot to have japan in the map. For Joao, until the missionary doesnt start to ask you at every stop about Sipangu, you cant find it (Sipangu=Japan). To trigger this, i think that you need to be told at some tavern or at Lisboa after saving your fatherīs head... to truth, i dont remember but i can help you to advance the plot if you get stucked.

Guest 26-11-2006 10:00 AM

laiocfar

I finally managed to find zipangu. But the reason why Hans asked about it, i dont know, i think when you enntire map is complete and then add one year or so he will ask it.

greetings madie

vektorthunder 07-12-2006 01:42 AM

guys, where in the world is Timbuktu ??? ... some guy at the pub mentioned the position but i don't remember it. And i forget in what port is that pub ...

i want to buy crusader sword

another_guest 07-12-2006 06:40 AM

http://www.nationsonline.org/map_sma..._small_map.jpg

It's located in Mali, see map. The way to get there is to sail below the whole "lobe" of which Mali is part. Then you'll find a river going straight north. I don't remember which side of the split to take further north, I seem to remember you had to take the west branch.
Just stock up on food & water so you can survive for 25 days from the port closest to that river (at a decent speed of course), that should be more than enough to find Timbuktu.

laiocfar 07-12-2006 09:26 PM

Yes, as another_guest said you should mount the river at south part of occidental africa and turn the left to get to Timbuktu. In general, your fleet speed up when mounting the river and speed down when going back to sea, as the river take many turns there isnt an uniform speed while navigating it.

vektorthunder 08-12-2006 02:21 AM

ah i see, it's like hidden port. No wonder i couldn't find it.
Thank you very much another_guest and laiocfar ! i really appreciate it ...

laiocfar 08-12-2006 09:19 PM

Nope, there are many inland ports that only can be reached by rivers. A little spoiler: some river in Brazil taht isnt either the Amazon of the Parana (well Parana is in Argentina), the Yellow river in China and... Basra is a little on the Euphrates/Tigris delta.

Guest 13-12-2006 05:29 PM

Even the Crusader armor is the best armor in game for sure, I still think Blue Crescent is better than any other * level weapons. I've tried the Crusader sword, Muramasa, and the sword you can buy from an inland african town. None of those is more powerful than Blue Crescent. And it's easy to use too! Just strike everytime and no matter how bad at fighting your character is, you can always win the duel. No dodge/parry needed at all.

laiocfar 15-12-2006 05:40 PM

All combos of secret weapons are nearly invicibles.

forte712 15-01-2007 10:12 PM

Hi, new here ^_^

I love this game so much, I have played this game at least a dozen times, on my 386

Anyway, if you have the Crusader armor, no matter what weapon you use, just use Parry and Strike (never block, dodge, thrust, or slash), and you'll never get hit. :w00t:

Well.. that is my experience anyway.. :whistling:

Eerie 16-01-2007 01:40 PM

Thank you for an awesome game. I am verily addicted and having a jolly time.

Asia, three chinese towns and the smaller spice towns a bit south are totally rocking my gold pieces. That and the items called "Balms" that quell a storm instantly have assured me a nice time.

Cheers :ok:

Vissers 09-02-2007 05:44 PM

One of the best games of his time. this game gave me my first game addiction.

very good game, and still a lot of fun to play

Ahnassi 04-05-2007 01:51 AM

Eventually I found Roberto Almanzan in our real life :D
He lives in USA and works in some mortgage or insurance company.
good place for him.

Try to search him in google. LOL

I have goddess figureheads on ALL of my ships. So I never see a storm.
BUT if try to sail from Nagasaki to Sakai without figurehed you will surely got into storm.
I used this to get rid of mates with bad luck.
When I got a new Tekkousen at Nagasaki or Sakai I never go out till I get Godess figureheads. It takes not 15 times to get Godess there but about 70 tries!!

If you want to duel and have not much crew. You can come to enemy flagship and enemy captain will call you for duel himself( :devil: )

Belegorm 06-05-2007 05:22 PM

Hello, LOL, I've returned. Been several months since I've been on this board.

Anyway, I absolutely love this game, and have the DOS version many times.

But, I was wondering, has anyone played the Genesis version? Is it any good? I know that it has slightly worser sound quality, and I'd expect somewhat worse graphics. But I've heard the loading times are faster (though they're pretty fast on the DOS version already).

Thing is, that I just got a Sega Genesis (first gen, boxed, with 13 games (more I can borrow from my friend), all for $15.

Playing it on a console, with a TV is definately more convenient for myself (I've got my own TV and console, but I have to share the PC).

As long as it's virtually the same game in terms of story, and gameplay, I'd prefer the console versions, probably (though I've heard the SNES version is good too, I haven't got a SNES - yet).

krasiv 17-07-2007 05:16 AM

Do anyone know the safe way dealing with pirate in the early games while in adventure, while you can match it fleet?

Don't bring any load stock except water and food and also don't bring more than 1000 golds. while they catch you, just surrender. they will found out your worthless and even give you gold......

his pretty useful when adventuring through nile in the early game cos I always been being attacked by pirate there.

laiocfar 17-07-2007 07:52 PM

Normally, if adventuring your fleet is too fast for pirateÂīs venetian galleys. That trick can be better played by an earlier Ali. When pirates are on your trail, you sold all goods and leave your gold in the bank, then you surrender.

Velari 09-10-2007 04:18 PM

Is there a way to get around the crashing with every duel without using Dosbox?
The game runs painfully slow on my current machine whenever I use Dosbox >_>

blazer-glory 09-10-2007 04:29 PM

Having picked this up again after starting it last year Ive forgotten a few things since then. I remember someone contracting me to make new discoveries for them and I can't remember who it was. Is there anyway of finding out?

another_guest 11-10-2007 10:36 AM

It's been a few years, but did you try looking for that in your log/diary (however it is called in the game)?

blazer-glory 11-10-2007 05:24 PM

Thanks for the reply. I think I have and the log never went back that far but I'll double check. Thanks. :)

another_guest 12-10-2007 11:00 AM

If you don't find it there, could you post what character you're playing with? Depending on the character, there are some typical ports where you could have signed such a contract.
And just to be sure, it's only new discoveries and not charting new areas?

Periander 14-10-2007 11:52 AM

1. Pick Ali
2. Istanbul-Carpet + Athens-Art == $$$$ x alot. Never pay max price though, always only offer 1 gold. Buy Tax Permits.
3. Use your immense wealth to max out the Athens market and Shipyard.
4. Slowly deck yourself out with a fleet of top of the line Venitian Lassys, continue to use them to trade.
5. Rule the world.

If you're anyone else, replace Istanbul with Beirut, but it's basically the same deal.

There are better ships, there's a good one in the British port that's not London, and in one of the Japanese ports, (I think it's Nagasaki). However, Lassys are pretty damn formidable, and you'll easily be able to sink even the hardest pirates.

The weapons shops reopen at 2am. Go to Timbucktu to get the best armour, (I think it's called Crusaders armour). There's three or four maximum weapons too, each the best for the different attack types. I think there's one in Italy somewhere, one in India, one in China, and I'm pretty sure there's another one too, (a duplicate of one of the types), but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

another_guest 15-10-2007 10:10 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Periander @ Oct 14 2007, 11:52 AM) [snapback]316038[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

There are better ships, there's a good one in the British port that's not London, and in one of the Japanese ports, (I think it's Nagasaki). However, Lassys are pretty damn formidable, and you'll easily be able to sink even the hardest pirates.

The weapons shops reopen at 2am. Go to Timbucktu to get the best armour, (I think it's called Crusaders armour). There's three or four maximum weapons too, each the best for the different attack types. I think there's one in Italy somewhere, one in India, one in China, and I'm pretty sure there's another one too, (a duplicate of one of the types), but I can't remember it off the top of my head.
[/b]
1) British port that's not London = Bristol, in a sort of creek on the British west coast
2) Japanese port: indeed Nagasaki
Once a select few ports in the world (such as Antwerp I think) reach 1000 "industry rate", you'll be able to build another type of ship which is much larger than and superior to the Venetian Galeass.
3) Somewhere in South America, a Bralizian port if I remember well.

pepe4158 05-01-2008 07:40 AM

Say just one question....where is tehe save Info kept so I can edit my gold?....dang I played for two hours n cant make a profit!
Looks kinda fun if I could edit my gold n get off the groud faster...no traditional save.game file I see?

another_guest 05-01-2008 10:42 AM

Just save your game, then look in the folder which file was last changed.

If you're looking to make cash: Istanbul-Carpet + Athens-Art as posted by Periander is a very profitable and easy route in the beginning.

pepe4158 06-01-2008 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by another_guest (Post 315529)
Just save your game, then look in the folder which file was last changed.

If you're looking to make cash: Istanbul-Carpet + Athens-Art as posted by Periander is a very profitable and easy route in the beginning.

:p ----prefer a gold edit at this point so I can get to the fun part of traveling aroud n kicking some pirate butt....durn Koei n their encryptions lol

Yeah at this point I dont wana play legit....cuz even tho I dont habe the game manuel, I can ssee enought that this is Koeis most complex work....theres actually more to this game then all other Koeis I have seen...n to get the stuff I need some major denero from what I saw of prices.

Ok...woo-woo thks guest...I found it and I dont know what ta hell n Angot is....but I got over 50k of em and that seems to make me very wealthy lol

WATCH OUT pirates! Here comes Pepe!......oh n i banked a cool mil with marco just in case lol

another_guest 06-01-2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepe4158 (Post 315589)
... I dont know what ta hell n Angot is....but I got over 50k of em and that seems to make me very wealthy lol

WATCH OUT pirates! Here comes Pepe!......oh n i banked a cool mil with marco just in case lol

An angot is the equivalent of 10000 pieces of gold if I remember correctly.
I usually bank 900,000 in a bank since interest will make it grow to a million but it can never grow beyond that.
Another way of stacking cash is to load some ships with gold and store them in capitals. Preferably capitals of friendly nations :D

sawakita_eiji 27-02-2008 09:28 AM

hi there..

i'm a newbie.., i've been looking for this game for quite some time since this is my childhood favourite. unfortunately, i have no idea on how to install it, is there any one of you guys want to briefly explain the installation? thx in advance

The Fifth Horseman 27-02-2008 11:40 AM

Dosbox tutorial -> stickied in Troubleshooting forum -> READ IT.

sawakita_eiji 28-02-2008 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 320143)
Dosbox tutorial -> stickied in Troubleshooting forum -> READ IT.

lots of thx man..btw, what should i do to make 2 ports plledge its alliance to the ottoman empire? i'm playing ali vezas and got the first assignment from da king.

another_guest 09-03-2008 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawakita_eiji (Post 320198)
btw, what should i do to make 2 ports plledge its alliance to the ottoman empire? i'm playing ali vezas and got the first assignment from da king.

It's been ages since I played... Alliances have to do either with investing in the local economy / industry, or with paying the king a visit. Just have a look what options you get when visiting the king. If none of them helps in forming an alliance, it will be investments that do the trick.

DaViO 27-04-2008 06:30 PM

Help!!

Help me,I have no any sound on this game,how can I get it?

The Fifth Horseman 28-04-2008 01:15 PM

Troubleshooting forum -> "A Beginner's Guide to DOSBox" -> read it.

angry axe 09-10-2008 01:30 PM

lol anyone else having the problem of the mouse and the characters not moving flashing? also do ports reveal them selves to you(in the known world) or do you have to find them

zhuganglie 13-10-2008 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaViO (Post 324485)
Help me,I have no any sound on this game,how can I get it?

esay man, use dosbox

zhuganglie 13-10-2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angry axe (Post 339427)
lol anyone else having the problem of the mouse and the characters not moving flashing? also do ports reveal them selves to you(in the known world) or do you have to find them

oho?what sort of problem is that?:doh:

Fubb 13-10-2008 02:34 PM

Um, my characters occasionally flash, but only in towns.

I can never survive long, i always run out of food and water, and money :(

another_guest 13-10-2008 02:49 PM

For the flashing: did you try the Dosbox option of "auto locking" the mouse? (I use D-Fend as a front end, so no idea how to activate that option using DOS commands)

To Fubb: in the beginning just use the route Athens - Istanbul hauling art and carpets. The trip is short so you don't need to stack that much food or water. It's been ages since I played but 30 of each should be more than enough for a small crew.
The price differences between Athens and Istanbul on art and carpets are big enough to make a nice profit on each trip. Repeat, repeat, repeat until you have enough money to buy a better ship with more cargo capacity. Keep in mind though that you need to keep enough cash on hand to be able to buy cargo!

angry axe 14-10-2008 04:46 AM

thanks,also i found this village in north eastern Denmark yet i cant enter it is that meant to happen?, or is it just that you cant enter villages?

arete 14-10-2008 08:42 AM

You can "anchor", and then you get options to search, pillage or befriend the place. You can't access a village the way you can a town, though. You stay in ocean/ship view.

Your fame as an explorer increases every time you find new villages and objects (like the Rosetta Stone)... ^_^

yaprk901 27-12-2008 01:42 AM

Simply put, the greatest sailing game of all time, and one of my personal favorite game of all time. :)

Sorry mr. Meier, I know that your pirates! came out first, and I like both the original and the new 3D remake, but this game is untouchable.

There's also a Super Nintendo port of this game, not sure which came out first, but they're both very, very good.

everyone should give this a shot. One of the best examples that shows what games are supposed to be.

grikmok 16-03-2009 01:40 AM

Enrico will not ask to be taken to Zipangu

Hi,

I have defeated the Turkish fleet in Massawa. What's next? A walkthrough said that Enrico will be asked to be taken to Zipangu. But that hasn't happen in my game. My current Adventurer Fame is 29,650. Is it enough for this next step to happen or do I need more Adventurer Fame points?

Thanks!

sawakita_eiji 17-03-2009 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by another_guest (Post 320882)
It's been ages since I played... Alliances have to do either with investing in the local economy / industry, or with paying the king a visit. Just have a look what options you get when visiting the king. If none of them helps in forming an alliance, it will be investments that do the trick.

tq...i've finished the game,..and now starting over with otto baynes, the old man from england.

another_guest_ 19-03-2009 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grikmok (Post 356456)
Hi, I have defeated the Turkish fleet in Massawa. What's next? A walkthrough said that Enrico will be asked to be taken to Zipangu. But that hasn't happen in my game. My current Adventurer Fame is 29,650. Is it enough for this next step to happen or do I need more Adventurer Fame points?
Thanks!

Have you gone to the dock in Massawa, then to the pub?

grikmok 19-03-2009 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by another_guest_ (Post 356866)
Have you gone to the dock in Massawa, then to the pub?

I don't think I went to the pub after the dock.

another_guest_ 20-03-2009 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grikmok (Post 356867)
I don't think I went to the pub after the dock.

As far as I remember in the dock you would be challenged by Catalina, then another character would interrupt and there would be no fight.
But then you need to go to the pub to allow your mate (or whoever exactly is with you on that mission) to talk to you about going to Zipangu.

I hope this helps, I have no idea if you need to have a certain level of fame for this specific step.

P.S. I really need to start remembering my password here :p

grikmok 21-03-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by another_guest_ (Post 356963)
As far as I remember in the dock you would be challenged by Catalina, then another character would interrupt and there would be no fight.
But then you need to go to the pub to allow your mate (or whoever exactly is with you on that mission) to talk to you about going to Zipangu.

I hope this helps, I have no idea if you need to have a certain level of fame for this specific step.

P.S. I really need to start remembering my password here :p

Actually, I got it, it's the Adventure Fame, I hit 30,000 and Enrico came and said that he wanted to go to Zipangu. Another question: where is the supply port Forel? I am trying to get the Saber tooth tiger. All the walkthroughs always say to turn North from Forel. But I cannot seem to find it. Anyone can give me the coordinates?

laiocfar 22-04-2009 11:36 PM

Forel is at 62n 40w, is easy to get lost on artic regions

myxdres 31-05-2009 04:27 AM

Roamer's Delight

Most games are one-way deadend streets, with branching deadend alleys. But New Horizons offers many ways to roam to your heart's content; so much so that you can almost create your own game-within-a-game.

My favourite character is Ali because he is simply a trader and trading is the game's core activity; which means he can step completely outside of his scenario and still be able to return to it (if you so wish). I was lucky in being introduced to the game by a fellow who liked to study games after he had mastered them - he would do bizarre things like pop Ali in and out of the Inn thousands of times until he (Ali, i.e.) finally died of old age, his life's dream unfulfilled.

But I found far more interesting variables hidden within the normal play-mode. Though I don't want to reveal too much, so as not to rob you of the pleasure of discovery, to start here are two in-scenario examples:

1) get Ali to fulfill his goal never using more than one ship; and

2) see how long, and how far afield, you can keep him working only for the Guild doing trade jobs.

Presently I am seeing what happens globally if I keep him trading until he dies. So far it is 1526, with Turkey at 11000 income and Portugal being its only rival at 4000. I am keeping Ali at -5 relationships with other nations, which protects him from battle fleets and keeps the pirates from being fanatical pursuers. Another consequence is that there is very little "stealing" of Allied ports from him.

jdog3015 18-10-2009 08:59 PM

Hi im trying to install the game and I got it mostly working through DOSBox, but when I press enter to finalize the installation it says "Please Insert NH_CD and press Enter". Am I possibly missing a file??

dosraider 18-10-2009 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdog3015 (Post 385833)
Hi im trying to install the game and I got it mostly working through DOSBox, but when I press enter to finalize the installation it says "Please Insert NH_CD and press Enter". Am I possibly missing a file??

No need to run install, the game is ready to run in dosbox as is.
Run the game with koei.

However, as you ran install it's possible that the conf file is corrupted, simply delete the game folder and re-unzip a fresh one.

want to swordfight 15-01-2010 10:20 PM

Need help!

I have been playing uncharted watteers II for several months, I have never been able to play the swordfighting though. I recently tied to download the game all over, still no swordfightning. how can I fix this?

another_guest 19-01-2010 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by want to swordfight (Post 394069)
I have been playing uncharted watteers II for several months, I have never been able to play the swordfighting though. I recently tied to download the game all over, still no swordfightning. how can I fix this?

What exactly do you mean with no swordfighting?
Do you get an error in a DOS window (black with white text) whenever a swordfight comes up?
Don't you know what to do during a swordfight?

angry axe 21-01-2010 12:12 PM

noooooo, I died of old age and i never even got to sink one ship :crybaby:. I think im now going to try to get rid of this accursed time restriction

timmyisme22 22-01-2010 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angry axe (Post 394712)
noooooo, I died of old age and i never even got to sink one ship :crybaby:. I think im now going to try to get rid of this accursed time restriction

Why sink when you can capture;)

007jesse 21-02-2010 02:39 PM

Ally

When playing with Joao the king of portugal ask if you can make "peace" with 2 country's/ports (whatever), how do i do this??? Can somewone tell me :)

007jesse 21-02-2010 02:40 PM

Bij het spelen met Joao de koning van Portugal vragen als u "vrede" kan maken met 2 land / poorten (wat), hoe doe ik dit?? Kan someone tell me:)

arete 22-02-2010 06:18 AM

Sorry, I can't really understand you. Please try to speak English in the forums, as we all have so many different home languages that otherwise we simply wouldn't understand each other ;)

another_guest 22-02-2010 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arete (Post 397531)
Sorry, I can't really understand you. Please try to speak English in the forums, as we all have so many different home languages that otherwise we simply wouldn't understand each other ;)

The question in English and the one in Dutch that he posted are both the same.
As for the answer, to ally with a certain country, you first need to have good relations with a country (so trade often with them, don't attack their ships, etc). Once you reach a certain rank, you will be able to request an audience with the king of other countries: walk up to the palace and talk to the guards - if they don't let you in it's either because your rank is insufficient or because you need some kind of paper from your own king.
It's by talking to the foreign king that you will be able to forge an alliance.

Sorry if I'm a bit vague at some points, it's been several years since I played this game.

Estharos 26-02-2010 11:18 PM

How to you install the uw2patch_level?

Luchsen 27-02-2010 08:50 PM

You don't install it, you use it. Just execute it and follow the instructions.

jasonmloh 17-03-2010 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007jesse (Post 397404)
When playing with Joao the king of portugal ask if you can make "peace" with 2 country's/ports (whatever), how do i do this??? Can somewone tell me :)

You can also invest in the ports market and shipyard until Ally with your country becomes 100%.But bear in mind that this method requires a lot of gold. Also a port with economy 95 or industry 95 requires much less gold to Ally than a port with economy 800 or industry 800.My favorite port for this quest is Ceuta but of course there are virtually more than 70 ports within the game.:D:D:D
________
Fr80

jasonmloh 17-03-2010 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by want to swordfight (Post 394069)

Maybe you can try this - when your ship and another ship is on the same square, press Escape, this will pause the sailing then on the right hand side there is a command in one of the menus that will allow you to enter combat mode. Once you have entered combat mode you must move your flagship beside the enemy's flagship in other words commodore versus commodore. At this point there should be an option to start the duel.:thumbs:
________
CiaraDarling

flameg0d 18-06-2010 06:38 AM

dueling problem

I have experienced this error too, everytime I tried to dueling either a pirate (usually khayr ad din and Idin Leis) or an dueling event for catalina Erantzo, my dosbox hanged up, there's an error message then just off, anny suggestions to fix this one? :cry:

another_guest 18-06-2010 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flameg0d (Post 407613)
I have experienced this error too, everytime I tried to dueling either a pirate (usually khayr ad din and Idin Leis) or an dueling event for catalina Erantzo, my dosbox hanged up, there's an error message then just off, anny suggestions to fix this one? :cry:

You should be able to solve that by playing around with the EMS settings (EMS must be enabled, but you shouldn't have too much memory attributed either).
Sorry if this is not very specific, I always used a front end to Dosbox and used the default settings of that front end... Unfortunately that program D-Fend is no longer available and I haven't used its newer version D-Fend reloaded yet. You might want to try it and see if that solves the issue.

flameg0d 18-06-2010 06:36 PM

EMS, not SMS :mischief:

sorry if this sounds like a newbie question, the verylast time I playing with EMS is in dos OS without any windows in it and now I'm using windows XP's OS

so I'm wondered now how could I change the EMS, I can't just search and edit config.sys anymore, (file not found) if there's any additional programs please sent me a link :(

dosraider 18-06-2010 08:41 PM

The files you're looking for to alter the command window memory settings are:
autoexec.nt
config.nt

If it's a smart thing to do, that's another matter.

Smart is: run dosgames in dosbox, not in a command window.

But if you absolutely want to screw up your PC, go ahead.

flameg0d 19-06-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dosraider (Post 407641)
The files you're looking for to alter the command window memory settings are:
autoexec.nt
config.nt

If it's a smart thing to do, that's another matter.

Smart is: run dosgames in dosbox, not in a command window.

But if you absolutely want to screw up your PC, go ahead.

I've just downloaded dos box 0.74 is it the newest version? hope there's no more problems, thx for the advises, I loved this game, even after I've finished it when I'm still using Dos OS:OK:

hoeleng 14-10-2010 01:04 PM

guide

if anyone is interested, here is a guide i wrote almost 10 years ago while i was playing it..

http://hoeleng.freeservers.com/uw2.html

robbo316 17-03-2011 08:23 PM

I was having a nightmare with hex editing, and then I thought about using a great little editing program called Artmoney. So I started up the game, loaded my save, (not using dosbox). I alt-tab back to win, start up artmoney, go through the search process, back into the game, stick a little money into the bank, just to change the figure. Back to am and filter the search, and, voila! there is the address I'm looking for, change it to whatever you want, save, and exit. I got the system halted but this is nothing to worry about, just alt-tab back to windows, right click on the ms-dos process, and close it. Now you can run the game through dosbox as normal. WooHoo, its 16th century and I am a MILLIONAIRE!!!!!!:smile2:

Luchsen 19-03-2011 01:14 PM

I always use Cheat Engine or Poke on DOSBox's process. Just in case you want to hex a DOS game you can't run directly under Windows.

articwolf 31-03-2011 04:48 AM

error

used to play this game a long time ago on pc...playing it again now but the problem is i keep getting an error when trying to duel.anyone else with the same problem?and how do you rectify it?

Luchsen 31-03-2011 02:26 PM

Are you using DOSBox (yet another link)?

articwolf 01-04-2011 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luchsen (Post 425433)

nope...just the standard cmd.exe found on xp...but i will give it a try

articwolf 01-04-2011 05:24 AM

Quote:

nope i just run the koei file found in the folder

articwolf 01-04-2011 05:33 AM

Quote:

trying dosbox but cant get it to work...can someone explain it to me in layman terms...not very good with the com...use it mostly to surf the net

The Fifth Horseman 01-04-2011 12:25 PM

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=14406

?!?! 28-08-2011 01:53 AM

?

didn't uw1 say princess christiana and leon got married and reigned over portugal? why are they suddenly duchess and duke now? the king of portugal used to be good-looking for his age but now he is ugly! what happened? and the king said he didn't have any son, so why does he suddenly have a son now? shouldn't joao be the king's grandson? so why does the king act like he doesn't know his own grandson? i don't get this game...

Awww 28-08-2011 02:48 AM

What is this?

The old king had a son named Alberto? I finally beat UW1 this morning but my bubbles were burst in one day. Princess Christiana is older than Alberto so shouldn't she still be the heir to the throne? How sexist... >:( UW1 is so much better. The soundtrack for UW1 is more diverse. And how come Christiana and Leon aged so quickly? They're only like 36 but they look like they're 46. And Christiana had her son in 1504? That's not even possible, Leon started his adventure as a commoner in 1502... That means he became a duke in one year. UW2 is just illogical. It's almost like watching Pocahontas 2.
*Disappointed*

Hnnnn 29-08-2011 02:23 AM

Hmm

The first steel ship in the world was built in Korea so why a real port doesn't exist in Korea? :(

The current time is 09:05 PM (GMT)