Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Gaming Zone (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Anyone Into Airsoft Or Paintball? (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=5417)

Grinder 02-07-2006 12:33 AM

For me metal doesn't mean weight, but quality. I think the AK47 has 2,9Kg with clip (which is also full-metal). The only thing that annoyed me is that I'm used to swinging up my light (1,2 max.) M4 when I step out of a bush or something. I had to get used to the weight of the AK47 first. The rate of fire is not as good as my M4, but I guess that's why I'm always the one giving suppressing/covering fire.

Titan 03-07-2006 02:38 AM

What volt are the guns running on?
Normaly for the "standard"-typ is 8,4v, but i have 9,6 in my g36, some use 10,8 and some uses 12,0v

If you don't know, you can just count the cells in the battery. each cell (provided is a normal NiCa battery and not a LiJo) gives 1,2 v and depending on the size, a sertain mAh.

Higher volts makes the motor spin faster and gives a real boost in RoF. Downside is; if you run it on normal internals (mainly the gearbox), you would end up stripping everything and get a new set of skateboard wheels.

Grinder 03-07-2006 12:49 PM

Well, my M4 runs off 6 AA batteries, the AK47 runs on 8,4V, I think. I will talk to my friend about upgrading it. Maybe a nice 9,6Volt, and he can use it for suppressing fire once I give up that position when I make the switch to the AUG.

Question about paintball: What is the average muzzle energy on those balls? I heard it was like 7 joule or something, but I can't believe that.

Titan 04-07-2006 04:06 AM

easy math:

The Energy = (Mass in KG * Velocity * velocity)/2
So: a paintball with the mass of 3,2 grams = 0,0032 Kg
The ball is moving @ say.. 70 m/s

(0,0032 * 70 * 70)/2 = 7,84 Joule

As faar as i've been able to figure out a "normal" paintball-round is about 2,7-3,2 grams
and the maximum muzzle-velocity most places allow is 300 fps (round about 91.something m/s)

(0,0032 * 91 * 91) / 2 = 13,25 Joule.

Depending on national laws, it's most likely too much energy.

ESPECIALLY for semi/full auto.

Grinder 04-07-2006 12:26 PM

Too much energy? 13,25 Joule? Nooooo, that's okay :ph34r: . So where is it legal? And does the fact that the balls burst on impact make it less painful?

Titan 05-07-2006 01:23 AM

Well, in Sweden the law permits 3 Joule for Semi/Auto and 10 Joule for Bolt (manual charged).

The "problem with paintball is the accuracy over distances, as the ball just moves too slow, and if you see the shooter, you can avoid the hit. The problem is the weight of the ball, and limits the speed, to not pack too much energy.

AirSoft doesn't realy have the same problem.
a 0.2g BB can travel at 316.23 m/s (1037.55 fps) to pack 10 Joul just at the muzzle.
Try dodge something comming at you with 1138 km/hr... i can't ;)

About the ball bursting.. well, SOME energy is lost om impact with hurling paint all over the place and cracking the "shell" open, but most is transfered on to you. Airsoft generaly have more or less the same; most energy is transfered, but a minority is used for the impulse that makes the ball bounce off you a few meters.
A major difference though is the area of impact. The paintball is much larger, and destributes the force over a "larger" area when it impacts and deforms, and ultimatly break, with most of it at the center of the impacts, and at the edges as the hard shell with most structual streanght hits.
An Airsoft pellet will generaly not deform at all, and affects a verry small area, no more then the 6 mm diameter, as the skin deforms under the impacting pellet, thereby giving it a much more "stinging" sencation then the paintballs hard "knock" you can experience.

The whorst i've been exposed to was a hit from a sniper, using a 0.43 g pellet, fired at 170'ish m/s, and estimated speed of impact around 140 m/s on me, 30 meters away.

Yet another difference with Airsoft and Paintball, is Airsofts "Hopup"-system, that transfered a portion of the energy into giving the pellet a verry quick "backspin" and thereby lowering the muzzle-speed alot, while not the muzzle-energy, alowing it to travel MUCH farther but utilizing aerodynamics in the same way a plane does, with wind passing faster on one side then the other and thereby creating a lift, that literaly sucks the pellet upwards, neutralizing the gravity.
If you have Hopup on your rifle, try setting it to absolute maximum, and fire at normal level, neither pointing it up or down.
The shot will be slow, but after around 10 meters or so, it will begin a steep climb and go straight up.
Or if you don't want to ruin the setting, just tilt the gun 90* and fire. The pellet will go straight "up" relative to the tilt, eg, Holding the gun in your right hand, tilting it to the magazine points to your right, the pellet will go straight for a few meters and then take off to the left with a great speed.. might be usefull for shooting around corners/trees if you can time the distance right ;)

About YOUR laws, we actualy had a debate TODAY on a swedish forum regarding german laws, and it seems you are restricted to 0,5 Joule as per law (if i understood things right) IF the gun had automatic, and wasn't permanently renderd to single/bolt/semi.
A user had his gun seized by customs for breaking german firearm-laws, packing a LEATHAL 0.9 Joule, and it was sent off to destruction.
U.K. has a 1 Joule policy as faar as i've seen, but besides those two, the rest of europe seems to more or less the same rules, with a 10 Joule maximum for Spring/Gas-propelled weapons with a mechanicle release.

Grinder 05-07-2006 09:10 AM

Well, as far as I know it, the thing with .5 Joule is a misinformation that has been spread by a lot of local newspapers when they made reports about the infamous "kiddies" - little children with .08 Joule Airsofts (legal for 3 yrs. and up) shooting at old grandmothers and stuff just for the hell of it.
Everything from .08 to .5 Joule is legal for people under 15. This includes AEGs (pretty much all of which have HopUp). Then there's the S-AEGs, which AFAIK stands for SEMI Automatic Electric Gun, so they'd have to be SEMI, and they commonly have around 1 Joule of muzzle energy. There's also no Gas-propelled guns und 1 Joule, and the strongest one I've seen would be, I think, a Dragunov with 3.something Joule.

I tried to calculate the energy of that sniper hit of yours - is 4.2 Joule correct?

Titan 05-07-2006 10:33 AM

Sounds about right, yes.. and it's legal, as it's a bolt-action, where you are required to manualy load a new pellet into the chaimber from the clip by using the manouver/cocking handle.
The specific one i was hit by, was a gas-powerd, but there are also verry verry string spring-rifles.

Grinder 05-07-2006 01:06 PM

Well semi is definitely not bolt-action. Although pretty much all the high-powered-high-precision rifles I know are bolt-action.
But there is also those semi-sniper rifles like the AUG or the G3.

Titan 01-08-2006 05:16 PM

It has arrived... atleast the first part of the shipment... Will take more pics once i get it all.

www.abandonia.com/~titan/CAW1.jpg
www.abandonia.com/~titan/CAW2.jpg
www.abandonia.com/~titan/CAW3.jpg
www.abandonia.com/~titan/CAW4.jpg
www.abandonia.com/~titan/CAW5.jpg
www.abandonia.com/~titan/CAW_vs_mp7.jpg
www.abandonia.com/~titan/CAW_vs_TheRest.jpg

The current time is 08:47 AM (GMT)