Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Forgotten Games Bureau (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Old combat 2 player game - shooting at each other (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=46962)

Rango7777 22-11-2020 06:44 AM

Old combat 2 player game - shooting at each other

Hi,

I'm very happy to have found this forum. Recently I started playing again games from my childhood times. There was one game which I played a lot with friend of mine on some system - as far as I remember a cartridge one somewhere around end of the 80ies and beginning of the 90ies, it was bought and imported from Japan. We were kids in communist land playing on a technical wonder from the West :-) I tried searching it online but to no avail.

So the required information:

Year played: 1989-1991;
Year released: should be in the 80ies;
System: Some cartridge system with controllers, bought in Japan;
Gameplay: Two player mode, each player controlled a guy with a gun at each end of the screen. The goal was to shoot the other player in order to win. The players could hide behind obstacles and then shoot thru them as well. Can't remember really if the ammo was limited.
Graphic: 2d, it was connected to a CRT/TV
Music/Sound: can't remember

I'll be really grateful if someone keeps memory of this obscure game.

Thanks in advance!

Smiling Spectre 22-11-2020 09:06 AM

If it's Japanese, and with cartridges, it must be NES or SNES. Unfortunately, I never had any of them, so I don't know games there. Still, others must know.

Scatty 22-11-2020 10:16 AM

Well there have been a few Japan-based consoles back then - Nintendo NES / SNES, Sega Mega Drive (Sega Genesis in USA) and Sega Master System, SNK Neo Geo, Atari 2600. Although I remember NES having a pistol controller for a few exclusive games made for it, I'm not sure of the other systems didn't have some equivalents as well, also you didn't specifically mention a pistol controller anyway.
It is a bit too vague of a description on details, I'm afraid. Maybe you remember some more?

Rango7777 22-11-2020 04:58 PM

Thanks for the quick responses!

I checked how the consoles look like, I think it looked like the Atari. Pretty sure it didn't had pistol controller. The game was basically two player 2d artillery combat game, each player controlled a moving guy on the left/right side of the screen and the goal was to shoot the other one first, while crawling and hiding behind obstacles. I don't think it was turn based.

I'll now browse the Atari games, maybe I'll find it there.

Thanks again!

MuzzyF8 22-11-2020 05:13 PM

I am almost sure it was Gunfight. :)

I was playing this always with some friends on my Atari 65XE when I was young. :smile2:

I checked and it was released to Atari 2600 as a cartridge too.

Just search for some Atari Emulators and Gunfight for Atari.
BTW Gunfight for Atari800XL/65XE has better graphics as I compared movie from 2600 version to my memories. :)

Rango7777 23-11-2020 08:29 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, just googled it, Gunfight looks very promising, I'll load an emulator on the weekend and try it:)

The current time is 12:45 PM (GMT)