Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Starting from scratch.... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=19872)

Total Idiot.... 19-05-2009 07:31 PM

Starting from scratch....

Hi all,

Ok, basically I found this site whilst bored and reminiscing (sp) about old games I used to play on my Amiga 500... namely Mega Lo Mania.

Now I can find it, and seemingly can download it, but when I extract the files to my documents or what not, I just seem left with a folder full of random files, no .Exe files or anything.

So very simply I just want to know how I can run games.... I'm sure this is a total moron question, but alas, when it comes to computers I am a moron.

I have a Toshiba Laptop, running windows XP.

Any help?

Many thanks,

Matt

zirkoni 19-05-2009 07:39 PM

Did you download the DOS version? It has MEGA.EXE to start the game.
And you'll need DOSBox to play the game and beginner's guide to DOSBox.

Eagle of Fire 19-05-2009 11:26 PM

If you have no .exe files, you are doing something wrong. To begin with, do you use a real unarchiver program? The default Windows unarchiver is not worth anything more than to be able to look inside the archives. It won't allow you to unarchive them well or in full.

First step would be to make sure you use a real program, like WinZip or WinRar.

Second step would be to get you to make the files to run. DOSBox is a good helper at at point.

_r.u.s.s. 20-05-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Total Idiot.... (Post 365534)
Hi all,

Ok, basically I found this site whilst bored and reminiscing (sp) about old games I used to play on my Amiga 500... namely Mega Lo Mania.

Now I can find it, and seemingly can download it, but when I extract the files to my documents or what not, I just seem left with a folder full of random files, no .Exe files or anything.

So very simply I just want to know how I can run games.... I'm sure this is a total moron question, but alas, when it comes to computers I am a moron.

I have a Toshiba Laptop, running windows XP.

Any help?

Many thanks,

Matt

you need an amiga emulator, the most famous is probably winuae or winfellow

i suggest you ask on lemonamiga forums for specific details on how to run those roms

Incappucciato d'Ombra 21-05-2009 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. (Post 365670)
you need an amiga emulator, the most famous is probably winuae or winfellow

i suggest you ask on lemonamiga forums for specific details on how to run those roms

He's talking of a PC version, infact the Amiga version only had 2 .adf files and not "a folder full of Random files" :tongue:

In other words, something goes wrong as suggested by EoF :oh:

Other than solutions suggested by EoF and Zirconi, you can try to re-download it :)

Eagle of Fire 21-05-2009 02:56 AM

Even though _Russ posts are less general, he's often right.

Let's see what the original poster have to say about all this before drawing hasty conclusions.

Total Idiot..... 25-05-2009 08:47 PM

Thanks for all the replies gents.... to be honest I'm not doing very well... I now seem to be locked in a battle with MS DOS, trying to fucking find, open and run shit. But where as 16 years ago I could remember how to do some pretty natty stuff on DOS; now, not so much.

I think I shall have to enlist the help of some of my computer geek mates!

Thanks again fellas.

Matt

_r.u.s.s. 25-05-2009 08:59 PM

well if you were more specific we could help

The Fifth Horseman 26-05-2009 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Total Idiot..... (Post 366689)
I now seem to be locked in a battle with MS DOS, trying to fucking find, open and run shit.

Two words, mate: Norton Commander. :)

The current time is 11:14 PM (GMT)