Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Dark Legions problem, please help (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=19782)

zirkoni 11-05-2009 11:09 AM

Dark Legions problem, please help

The problem is, the game freezes when I try to move a character on the strategic map. When I click a character I see the yellow squares but when I click on a square the cursor disappears, the game freezes and I have to kill Dosbox. I have been able to play the game a few times though (I don't know why it didn't freeze then).

I'm running the CD version of the game (from Abandonia) on Vista machine using Dosbox 0.72.
Things i have tried:
- mounting the CD-image with imgmount :no:
- using Daemon Tools and mounting as a cdrom drive :no:
- different sound configurations :no:
- different Dosbox configurations :no:
- patched and unpatched versions :no:

It seems the disk version doesn't have the same problem but I just don't like those copy protection questions.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem or at least what might cause this in the first place?

Eagle of Fire 11-05-2009 10:36 PM

The only thing I could suggest would be to try a lower version of DOSBox...

red_avatar 12-05-2009 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zirkoni (Post 363797)
The problem is, the game freezes when I try to move a character on the strategic map. When I click a character I see the yellow squares but when I click on a square the cursor disappears, the game freezes and I have to kill Dosbox. I have been able to play the game a few times though (I don't know why it didn't freeze then).

I'm running the CD version of the game (from Abandonia) on Vista machine using Dosbox 0.72.
Things i have tried:
- mounting the CD-image with imgmount :no:
- using Daemon Tools and mounting as a cdrom drive :no:
- different sound configurations :no:
- different Dosbox configurations :no:
- patched and unpatched versions :no:

It seems the disk version doesn't have the same problem but I just don't like those copy protection questions.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem or at least what might cause this in the first place?

For me, the patched versions work fine. I did use the new DOSBox (released soon) so maybe you can hold on a little while.

zirkoni 12-05-2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red_avatar (Post 363883)
For me, the patched versions work fine. I did use the new DOSBox (released soon) so maybe you can hold on a little while.

Guess I'll wait for the new Dosbox then.
By the way, now I'm positive that the problem is somehow sound related. The game runs fine if I choose "no sound" from the sound configurator but I don't like playing without any sound.

Eagle of Fire 12-05-2009 10:23 PM

Then, when playing in DOSBox, make sure the game sound is configurated for the right SoundBlaster setting(s). It should help a lot.

zirkoni 13-05-2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire (Post 364012)
Then, when playing in DOSBox, make sure the game sound is configurated for the right SoundBlaster setting(s). It should help a lot.

That's the first thing I tried. Setting the sound exactly as I have it in dosbox.conf didn't help (sb16, I/O 220, I 7, D 1). Like I wrote earlier, I even tried different sound configurations (by editing dosbox.conf and then running the game's sound configurator again).

EDIT:
Just installed DOSBox 0.73 and tried running Dark Legions. I'm still having the same problem.

red_avatar 27-05-2009 08:31 PM

I'll need to test this thoroughly - there must be some logic behind the behaviour.

zirkoni 28-05-2009 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red_avatar (Post 367004)
I'll need to test this thoroughly - there must be some logic behind the behaviour.

I'll give you more details:

- I have all the game files in C:\Users\My name\Documents\DOS\DLegions
- DOSBox (0.72 and 0.73) installed in C:\Users\My name\DOSBox-0.7x
- DOSBox configurations are all default (I haven't changed anything since all other games have run fine)
- autoexec lines:
mount c C:\Users\My name\Documents\DOS
c:
- And lines in a batch file I use to start the game:
imgmount d C:\Users\My name\Documents\DOS\DLegions\DarkLegion.cue -t iso
dl.exe
And an image of the situation just to make things clear: the music is still playing but the mouse pointer has disappeared and keyboard commands won't work either. Thus, the only option is to exit DOSBox.

Scatty 28-05-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zirkoni (Post 367081)
I'll give you more details:

- I have all the game files in C:\Users\My name\Documents\DOS\DLegions
- DOSBox (0.72 and 0.73) installed in C:\Users\My name\DOSBox-0.7x
- DOSBox configurations are all default (I haven't changed anything since all other games have run fine)
- autoexec lines:
mount c C:\Users\My name\Documents\DOS
c:

Try this - make a folder in c:\ named Games, then a folder in there named Dlegions, after that move the game to this folder and use these commands:

mount c c:\
c:
cd games\dlegions

That might help it a bit. Also be sure to set the soundcard in the setup of the game to Soundblaster / Soundblaster PRO / Soundblaster 16 with the latter being the best option if available. The correct values with default DosBox configuration would be Port 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1, (if available for 16 bit sound) HDMA 5

zirkoni 28-05-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 367093)
Try this - make a folder in c:\ named Games, then a folder in there named Dlegions, after that move the game to this folder and use these commands:

mount c c:\
c:
cd games\dlegions

I have tried this already, no change.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 367093)
Also be sure to set the soundcard in the setup of the game to Soundblaster / Soundblaster PRO / Soundblaster 16 with the latter being the best option if available. The correct values with default DosBox configuration would be Port 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1, (if available for 16 bit sound) HDMA 5

The setup offers 2 sb16 options: sb16 ASP and sb16 with Waveblaster. I have tried both, set the values to 220, 7, 1 (as they are in dosbox.conf), no change.

The current time is 11:42 PM (GMT)