Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Gaming Zone (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The Good And Bad Of Genre For You... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=14446)

gufu1992 10-06-2007 05:09 PM

What it says at the topics name:

FPS
Love:Guns
The main thing to make FPS not just FP, are guns. Pistol,machine gun, BFG... each FPS must have a large ammount of guns to keep player intrested. Thou8gh... guns have their own problems...

Hate:Alone in the dark/no help from others
Basicly I hate all those missions in which you are alone in very dark rooms. While in Half-Life it was simple enough(just keep crowbar ready), games like STALKER annoy you with this, sending baddies in the dark spots from which they kill you slowly... or scare the crap out of you, making you jump 10 centimeters in your sit and stuning you for seconds at which your character gets pounded/shot/biten to death.

Frodo 10-06-2007 06:23 PM

Adventure games.

LOVE
The stories. I get really involved with the stories, and I can't wait to see what happens next. A good adventure game always draws you in, and makes you believe in that world. And I get very attached to the characters, as though they are real people. I'm always sad when the story comes to an end.

HATE
Pixel hunters. With some games, it is so hard to know what is an item to pick up and what is background scenery. You have to search the whole screen so carefully with your mouse, in the hope that you can find something to use.

Blood-Pigggy 10-06-2007 06:33 PM

With strategy games, I enjoy the ones that really feel like they're actively action oriented, like Starcraft, where battles are often and plenty, instead of one large attack that destroys everything.

Although I hate it when the games don't have any sense of accomplishment, ie playing a Skirmish game and winning holds no interesting benefits. There needs to be more game that tracks and gives bonuses/ranks for singeplayer gaming.

Geezer 10-06-2007 06:54 PM

I will echo Frodo's comments with one additional hate. I hate it when the puzzles do not fit in the storyline and/or when their solution is completely illogical.

I hate any game that has no logical conclusion. Some sim games bug me in that regard. They just keep throwing different and more challenging scenarios at you with no end in site.

chainsoar 10-06-2007 09:19 PM

I'll go with RTS too.

Love - Intelligent opponents, challenging combat, the opportunity to develop technology, and the chance to control battle from more than a first person perspective.

Hate - Relentless computer opponents who send endless hordes of cheap units. Stupid opponents who make it too easy to beat the hell out of them.

Tervez 11-06-2007 11:46 AM

I'll go with RPG:s

Love - A good plot, bad guys who have a good reason for being bad, original characters, a good battle system.

Hate - Love plots. Am I the only one annoyed by these? I really don't want my character to fall in love/being loved by someone for the umphteenth time. Just give me a world to save damn it!

Icewolf 12-06-2007 07:49 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tervez @ Jun 11 2007, 01:46 PM) [snapback]293889[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

[...]I really don't want my character to fall in love/being loved by someone for the umphteenth time. Just give me a world to save damn it![/b]
That's exactly why girls fall in love with your character! :D

Strategy games that you do well not because you build more tanks than you opponent, but because you simply do better, better strategy and stuff.

G33k
RPGs that you have to reinvent the wheel for to manage getting an halfway reasonable character and get into the plot.

Lulu_Jane 12-06-2007 08:34 AM

Frodo has taken the words right out of my mouth :)

TheChosen 12-06-2007 08:36 AM

RPG's:

The feeling of an "adventure" is just huge. You can travel to different places, meet different people and save the damsels from distress.

The bad thing is that there is no "neverending" story.

Mighty Midget 12-06-2007 08:39 AM

Call me a simpleton, but:

Adventures

Like: LucasArt, because you can't die or get stuck (most of the time)

Loathe: Sierra, because you get killed and stuck (all the time)

The current time is 03:40 PM (GMT)