Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Blah, blah, blah... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Too expensive - but why? (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=25741)

Xaromir 05-09-2010 10:56 PM

Too expensive - but why?

I wanted to recommend another game - the original rollercoaster tycoon
since i loved this game but can't find it anywhere anymore etc.

A bit wiser now i searched first so i don't piss off people,
by just generating a lot of work.
Then i came across this:
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/Produ...oduct_id=63223

I mean - serious? 20$ for a 11 year old game?
5 or even 10$ would be fine in my opinion, but 20? I can restring my guitar about 4 months with that kind of money,
5 or 6 if i don't play much.
For 20$ you can get a lot of nice modern games.
Not that i rate old games lower that modern ones - not at all,
but you get the point i think.
How do they justify such a huge price tag?

Sort of had to be said.

Lobotomika 05-09-2010 11:32 PM

If we're talking ethics here my opinion is that copyright should expire within a few years in digital media.

Although I don't see it happening anytime soon I still agree they've miscalculated the marketability of this title so don't buy it and make them see their error.

Xaromir 06-09-2010 01:43 AM

Well it's still one of the best tycoon games ever.
The only real religion if it comes to theme parks.
But you can get for example starcraft or diablo 2 now for 10 - new,
with all the bells and whistles like a cd and a box.

I have to disagree on the copyright though, it sure would be available free after that period,
legal too - but then copyright affects quite a bit more than that.

If it would be cheaper i would be fine.
But pressing out the last penny just for the sake of it is just a bit disgusting,
and it's possible to offer them cheaper - c&c was available for free - or still is,
so is gta and gta 2,
and gta 2 still is the best of the series.

DarthHelmet86 06-09-2010 02:43 AM

At first I thought $20 for a game isnt bad.....then I remembered that you are in England so thats closer to $60. You can't always blame the makers of the game for the prices you pay, you are dealing with a middle man normally, who wants to make a profit. I know I have managed to get games discounted by pointing out to the staff member how old the game is, and that I would be willing to buy it for (Name my price here) it doesn't always work, but its worth the chance it will.

red_avatar 06-09-2010 03:23 AM

Digital games are mostly a rip off. I bet 90+% of all sales are made during sales when they drop into the "affordable" zone.

Rollercoaster Tycoon II & III were bundled for $5 a few months back but I've never seen the first bundled - most people just get the second anyway.

arete 06-09-2010 05:02 AM

I saw zoo tycoon for a hundred rand with two expansions. It was a 'PC classics' reissue or something like that. Divide by seven to get $U.S.or by fourteen to get pounds. I don't know about rollercoaster tycoon, but maybe you can find something cheaper on amazon.uk?

Professor Oak 06-09-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthHelmet86 (Post 413264)
At first I thought $20 for a game isnt bad.....then I remembered that you are in England so thats closer to $60.

If you are converting from Dollars to Pounds Sterling, that would be £13.

te_lanus 06-09-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arete (Post 413267)
I saw zoo tycoon for a hundred rand with two expansions. It was a 'PC classics' reissue or something like that. Divide by seven to get $U.S.or by fourteen to get pounds. I don't know about rollercoaster tycoon, but maybe you can find something cheaper on amazon.uk?

I normally check it sometimes at CNA or BT games. Sometimes one can find stuff that you didn't want to buy or lost like that.

But ya. Ebay or that I normally give wide birth. Been had once.

Rollercoaset Tycoon, Still have the CD, and RCT3 also

arete 06-09-2010 11:32 AM

i use www.take2.co.za - but they only deliver in South Africa

TheChosen 06-09-2010 01:02 PM

Forget online sales. When it comes to old PC games, best place is your local flea markets and drift stores. I know a place where they go 3-5€ a game, and it varies from Max Payne to Streets of Sim City to Thief Collection.

The current time is 05:20 AM (GMT)