Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Tech Corner (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Networks (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=8913)

Abi79 23-01-2006 02:30 PM

I think that nobody got bored of my "Webstar Modem problems" and "network problems" topics (see AR forums) :P so here's another one.

I managed two day ago to make my modem work with my USB and to make my network work without changing the cables like a madman :D Just when I wanted to start partying, my modem (cable modem) made a boo boo. My net connection dropped and I could see the send and receive lights always on. After lots of cables connected/disconnected, network settings changed and....that's all, I decided to try changing back to my network cable (my modem was connected to my computer through my network card). It worked! (did I say that I also had this problem -connection dropping- with the network card? :D )

I don't know for how long it will work (or if this message will even get to the forum), but how can I solve that problem? I would like to have my network and my modem (connected to my computer through the USB) working at the same time. :help:

blastradius14 24-01-2006 12:49 AM

Send me some PMs with detailed description of what happens when you do what. I'm a network geek and I should be able to fix this :)

Abi79 24-01-2006 08:24 AM

OK. Thanks. Just a sec 'till I'll get back home from school.

Rogue 24-01-2006 11:39 AM

Get your self router, if you already don't have one.

It will secure your network, and make your life easy (hmm, this might not be the case after re-reading first post :)).

What's your current problem? What kind of modem and connection are you using? (DSL/Cable?)

efthimios 24-01-2006 01:56 PM

If you want easy gaming online without husle, do not get a router. :D

Abi79 24-01-2006 02:50 PM

Router or no router, is there a way to make my Internet connection stable while using the USB? It is stable while using my network card, but by using the USB it only works once every ~30 minutes.

Rogue 24-01-2006 03:48 PM

I never used USB (nor recommend people to use it) so I would not know.

It is matter of minutes to set up router to play network games.

That is small price for security that provides by blocking all that traffic coming to your PC.

Just a small warning to all DSL/Cable users with either network/USB connection: If you're not using any form of hardware firewall/router, your computer (especially if your OS is older version of windows) is under constant attacks.

Abi79 25-01-2006 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Anubis@Jan 24 2006, 06:48 PM
Just a small warning to all DSL/Cable users with either network/USB connection: If you're not using any form of hardware firewall/router, your computer (especially if your OS is older version of windows) is under constant attacks.
I'm not using any firewalls, I have a cable connection and I have Win98 :ph34r:

Rogue 25-01-2006 11:53 AM

You can use some of firewall software products, but none of them will work as great as separate firewall or router that blocks most/all ports.

Tulac 25-01-2006 05:13 PM

You could also try changing your modem :whistle:

The current time is 10:35 AM (GMT)