Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   History Line 1914-1918 (aka Great War 1914-1918, The) (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=19604)

Chris 25-04-2009 12:48 AM

History Line 1914-1918 (aka Great War 1914-1918, The)

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review & Download (if available)

Pex 25-04-2009 07:32 AM

I'm so glad this game is here! :D I actually wanted to put a request for it when I saw that Battle Isle series were around, but this one wasn't. I always preferred it to BI series, perhaps because it was easier for me to relate with real units/equipment.

I would have to play it again to be able to put more comments, but there are a few things that I remember about the game that sometimes annoyed me.

If a bunker gets maximum experiance (5 victories, if I remember correctly), it becomes pretty much undistructable - you should just avoid it, cause it cannot move anyway.

If you capture a depot/factory enemy can still recapture it even if you put some units inside (and not just that but the units you put inside will now become enemy's). Another thing was that only non-motorized units could capture those objects - so for distant depoes I always had to use cavalry, as the fastest mon-motorized unit.

I cannot remember now if there was anything else, so I'll update the list once I replay the game ;)

HailToNietzsche 26-04-2009 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pex (Post 361522)
If a bunker gets maximum experiance (5 victories, if I remember correctly), it becomes pretty much undistructable - you should just avoid it, cause it cannot move anyway.

Your absolutely right. I used to hate the bunkers. That's why I always tried to destroy them first. Sometimes it was even easier to avoid them, if possible.

I remember that there were some missions where you could command a railway gun... :mischief:

kmonster 27-04-2009 12:32 AM

If you attack them from opposite directions even maximum experience won't help them.

Pex 27-04-2009 10:14 AM

How do you end the turn? I click on my headquarters, move the mouse to the right to get those couple of arrows, but than nothing happens? It says 'Carrying on command' under german window and 'Quit with joystick button' under allies, but that stays, and if I click the button, game gets active again, but remains in the same turn.

I'm using Dosbox, btw.

Edit: Just figured it out, you need to press F1.

CSDanger 27-04-2009 11:00 AM

In the description it is written that this game have 24 2 player maps. Is this game just a multiplayer game or can I play this also as singleplayer against the computer? :wondering:

Pex 27-04-2009 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSDanger (Post 361772)
In the description it is written that this game have 24 2 player maps. Is this game just a multiplayer game or can I play this also as singleplayer against the computer? :wondering:

You can play it against the computer.

Pex 29-04-2009 10:12 AM

Sorry for doubleposting, but this is not related to the previous post.

I really wish this game had save option in the middle of the campaign, not just level codes. Last night I just had to go to bed and I was in the second half of a battle which I finally started winning.

Are Battle Isle series same in that aspect?

Chris 29-04-2009 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pex (Post 362036)
Sorry for doubleposting, but this is not related to the previous post.

I really wish this game had save option in the middle of the campaign, not just level codes. Last night I just had to go to bed and I was in the second half of a battle which I finally started winning.

Are Battle Isle series same in that aspect?

Yep, they are. Admittedly not the best feature in the game..

CSDanger 29-04-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pex (Post 361780)
You can play it against the computer.

Ahh yes now I see it too. Thanks. :)

The current time is 12:34 PM (GMT)