Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Specific games (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   How to run Fallout in DOSBox (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=26128)

Nick02 12-11-2010 08:53 PM

How to run Fallout in DOSBox

How to run Fallout in DOSBox

I have seen this question multiple times around the internet. Even to the point of searching for the original DOS version of Fallout. It seems finding the original DOS version is impossible. However, with the help of some forums online, there is a way to "convert" a regular windows version of Fallout, and use it in DOSbox. I've decided to write a very detailed tutorial. Plus, this requires no warez, or illegal files. Just the original Fallout patch, and some system files.

What you need:
DOSBox 0.74 | Or equivalent
Windows version of Fallout 1.0

1. Download the Fallout 1.1 DOS Patch
This will patch the game, but will also contain the DOS version of the fallout executable.

2. Extract the contents of the archive, and copy all files into your fallout folder. If asked, overwrite everything.

3. Download dos4gw.exe and place it in the "Fallout" folder. NOT the "DATA" folder. It needs to be where your fallout exe files are located, in the main folder.

4. Download hmidet.386 and place it in the Fallout folder. Just like step 3.

5. Download hmidrv.386 and place it in the Fallout folder. Just like step 3.

Your Fallout folder should look something like this:

http://i55.tinypic.com/343hlab.png

I highlighted the important files. Ignore everything else.

6. Open your DOSbox configuration file, and change the value of "memsize" to "32".

7. Open the Fallout.CFG in your Fallout folder. This is a configuration file. Change the value of "art_cache_size" to "5".

8. In DOSBox, cd to the Fallout folder, and type "Fallout". The game will now run in DOSBox. You may or may not have sound. So if you want sound, you may have to tinker with the DOSBox settings.

Have fun, and enjoy your DOS version of Fallout. ^_^

Scatty 12-11-2010 10:59 PM

Nice tutorial, very useful for anyone with newer Windows than XP :OK: I didn't even know there was ever a Dos version of Fallout :huh:
But, shouldn't there be Setup / configuration file(s) for a Dos version then, to select a card for music and sound?

Nick02 13-11-2010 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 417003)
Nice tutorial, very useful for anyone with newer Windows than XP :OK: I didn't even know there was ever a Dos version of Fallout :huh:
But, shouldn't there be Setup / configuration file(s) for a Dos version then, to select a card for music and sound?

Fallout had two original versions. Same game, just two executables. One a Windows NT executable (which DOSBox will not run) and the other an exe DOSBox will run (made for DOS).

As for the config file, someone online mentioned needing a file for sound.. a file that wasn't included with the Windows version of Fallout. Finding the "original" DOS Fallout is pretty much impossible. Believe me.. I've looked.

Nevertheless, people have had success getting sound to work. :max:

zirkoni 13-11-2010 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick02 (Post 416996)
It seems finding the original DOS version is impossible.

Really? I have it :max:
There's a Windows and a DOS installer on the same disk.

dosraider 13-11-2010 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick02 (Post 417014)
Finding the "original" DOS Fallout is pretty much impossible. Believe me..

Quote:

Originally Posted by zirkoni (Post 417026)
Really? I have it :max:
There's a Windows and a DOS installer on the same disk.

Only to confirm what zirkoni says:
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/9...tdoswin.th.png

Install.exe -> MsDos version.
Setup.exe -> Win version.
CD release version is 1.2

Only to add some blahblah:
Quote:

Originally Posted by tech notes
(1.1) SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
-------------------------
The Win95 version of Fallout requires:
Pentium(tm) computer
16 megs of RAM
Win95
DirectX 3.0a or higher
Monitor and video card capable of displaying 640x480 256-colors
2x CD-ROM drive
Mouse
5 megs of hard drive space (plus space for save games)

The DOS version of Fallout requires:
Pentium(tm) computer
32 megs of RAM
DOS 5.0 or greater
SVGA (VESA compatible) card and monitor
2x CD-ROM drive
Mouse
5 megs of hard drive space (plus space for save games)

Recommended systems (both DOS and Win95):
32 megs of RAM
4x CD-ROM drive or better

The various installation levels will install larger versions of the
game to your hard drive:

* Small (2 megs: executable, config and support files)
* Medium (89 megs: adds music)
* Large (266 megs: adds creature graphics and animations)
* Humongous (650 megs: installs everything!)
The install sizes are slightly larger under DOS.

[Edit]
Nick02, PM.

Scatty 13-11-2010 11:43 AM

Hmm, I also have Dos install part on my Fallout CD. Don't ask me how I never noticed that, probably never needed :p

triskelian 13-12-2011 03:57 PM

Can't open the fallout.cfg data.Which programm does I need?

The Fifth Horseman 13-12-2011 08:07 PM

It's a plain text file, just with a different extension.
You can edit it with pretty much any text editor / word processing program. Notepad will do just fine.

Marthos 19-02-2012 08:51 PM

I have followed the tutorial, Fallout is crashing to a C:/ prompt after a loading screen, please help!

I am running adosbox for android on my Asus Transformer Prime thats running Ice Cream Sandwich.

I have made the memsize changes and the art cache size changes, added the 3 files that were needed, but it still crashes.

I tried updating the fallout game to 1.1 with the dos file, and then run it using the windows exe to check the version and it is always ver 1.0, so i updated with both the dos and win ver updates and it run on windows as ver 1.1

I have tried just using the Dos update and running it on the TFP, but it keeps crashing back to C prompt.

Only difference between your screen shot of the file folder and mine is I don't have a fallupw1 folder.

Smiling Spectre 27-02-2012 02:02 PM

How exactly it crashes? Does it say anything about reason of crash?

The current time is 06:19 PM (GMT)