Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   221b Baker St (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=8785)

Reup 12-01-2006 08:42 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Guest 12-01-2006 10:01 PM

This thing is a travesty of the board game it's made from. How is a player supposed to have the slightest idea that The Unholy Man named in case #1s title was killed in the opera house, with a bottle of pills next to him and the bible he always carried with him missing? Without the case history nobody can try to deduct what places are more likely to be helpful, making it pure luck who gets the answer first.

IHateSeph 12-01-2006 10:17 PM

Aside from that... The game sometimes doesn't harbor every clue i've noticed. Or theres more to it, that i've yet to figure out myself. All I know is the game is very strange in gameplay terms, but through frustration the answer is still there.

Also it's not Clue. I just thought the game was similar to clue. But instead of it being Who, With what, and Where; it's Who, With what, and Why.

Guest 12-01-2006 11:56 PM

That's part of the problem. In the real 221B everybody hears the reading of the case file for basic background information, which includes likely locales and sometimes critical clues. For example, one of the cases has a poodle-loving rich woman as a prime suspect in a case where somebody was found straggled near the Boar's Head Inn. The clue at the Inn mentions that a dog was seen running around loose at the time, and I believe it was Scotland Yard that noted flea bites on the victim's neck. Given that information, it's quite plain that the murderer was the rich woman, and she used her poodle's leash-if you have the case file. If not, too bad, so sad, you don't even know she owns dogs. Not unless it's mentioned elsewhere, even though it would be hopelessly redundant to anybody with the background information.

Gregory 13-01-2006 01:58 AM

I downloaded this game from one of Abandonia's sister sites a few months back, I think it might have been Abandon Games, though I can't seem to access my account now. To the point, the place where I downloaded it previously also had a zipped file containing all of the cases and the manual. I strongly suggest everyone goes and looks for this manual, because it does exist, and it is on one of the other popular abandonware sites. Perhaps the Abandonia staff could track it down and post it here. As the popular opinion seems to indicate, it's rather crucial to the whole gaming experience.

-Gregory

PrejudiceSucks 13-01-2006 08:38 PM

We only have one sister site, that's Abandonia Reloaded, I assume you meant a site we link to.

Anyway, yes it would be nice, really, but sometimes it's not that easy.

Stefan G. 20-04-2006 03:24 AM

I found the casebook in txt format on the site called the good old days. It was all in a jumble, but copy-pasting it to MS-word makes a lot of difference.

dozydragon 28-06-2006 09:15 AM

Even if itīs with casebook, I like real boardgames more. But itīs real fun to play this one with my trainee in the lunchbreak ^_^

Guest 04-08-2006 05:07 AM

Also, the game manual has a key to use for when you use "coded clues." The idea is that each player is assigned a different code, and while one player is looking at his/her clue, the others are allowed to look at it also, and try to crack the code. When you are not playing with coded clues, the other players are expected to politely look away.

Guest221 12-11-2011 10:26 PM

Manual

Might get yelled at for this, but here is the manual:

Manual

Integrated the code tags you wanted and spoiler tags (they are not only useful to hide spoilers but also to keep the navigation intact when writing long texts ^_^ ). ~Luchsen

The current time is 12:44 PM (GMT)