Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Old News (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Allowing guests on the forum again (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=18360)

Lulu_Jane 12-12-2008 05:09 PM

I agree with Dino about guests.

In regards to karma - I'm not a big fan of the karma system for forums, it fosters wankery and colours how some people post, for better and worse. I think people should make their own opinions about other users and not be influenced by an arbitrary number.

Icewolf 12-12-2008 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lulu_Jane (Post 344781)
I agree with Dino about guests.[...]

Dito Dino. :D

Japo 12-12-2008 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lulu_Jane (Post 344781)
I think people should make their own opinions about other users and not be influenced by an arbitrary number.

I agree it's pretty pointless, by the time someone cares about other members' characters, he already knows. These scoring systems are mostly for people who like to show their stripes. And we already have the POEs for real contributions.

The Fifth Horseman 12-12-2008 07:03 PM

Actually there are some references to a Karma system deep down in the options...

marko river 12-12-2008 07:56 PM

I voted yes, all Games forum except Cellar. Also they could be allowed to read other forums but not to post.
I remember that I started posting as guest until I realized that I'm hooked up and that I should register. Really, why not allowing guests to discuss Games or Favourite Oldies and Newbies???

AlumiuN 12-12-2008 08:10 PM

I think it would be good to let them in on Games Discussion and Troubleshooting, and also Site comments\Suggestions. Although if you had allowed guest posting on Site comments\suggestions way back when I joined, I may not have joined... :D

Eagle of Fire 12-12-2008 11:19 PM

No.

I do think they should be allowed to view all part of the board like a regular user (regular users don't see the cellar), and that they should be allowed to post as guest in the troubleshooting forum in case they can't manage to run an old game.

And it would be pointless to do this if you can't edit the error message when it happen. All you'll get if you restrict the posting options of guests is angry guests who still think they can't post anywhere.

There is no voting option which describe what I just say, so I didn't vote.

Incappucciato d'Ombra 13-12-2008 04:46 AM

Yes.

But only in Game Discussion (someone can always have a quick hint or info that can be interesting for the community) and Troubleshooting for quick and "una-tantum" requests of help.

marko river 13-12-2008 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire (Post 344817)
And it would be pointless to do this if you can't edit the error message when it happen.

I understand what you mean, but I still think that it is better to allow guest to post, at least in Games discussion... I recall many guests just saying "this is great game, thank you" and similar. I somehow think that this is more useful to abandonia, because guests are mostly here for games, not to read important announcements.
Also, for example, I remember when I uploaded game called Vlak, many czech guests just wrote that they are surprised to see "local legend" on abandonia. So, i think that giving unregistered people possibility to express their positive emotions about games, at least in Games discussion forum, is good for abandonia, since those guest will get to like abandonia even more, and probably will keep coming back...

Mighty Midget 15-12-2008 03:29 PM

I think it'd do AB good if we allowed guests back on certain forums, not only GD and TS, but also Tech and Compatibility.

The way I see it, if more people realize they can get useful and friendly help here, this will bring them back and (hopefully) in a mood for signing up and becoming useful members themselves. Wouldn't hurt...

The current time is 11:16 PM (GMT)