Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Blah, blah, blah... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   E-books, Stories, You (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=13738)

BlindMonk 14-03-2007 06:19 AM

I'm thinking strictly of fictional literature here; that also means nothing involved with educational/personal research, Internet usage (quoting passages), and what have you. Basically, if you want to sit down and involve yourself with a story are e-books something you'd use?

For those unfamiliar with the format, here's an example of what I'm referring to (606KB HTML version). Plain-text version is here.

Tito 14-03-2007 10:26 AM

I usually don't read e-books, but sometimes, if it is something really interesting that I've been chasing for a long time and I can't find anywhere else, I can use this format (after printing it, of course).

The Fifth Horseman 14-03-2007 12:00 PM

I love e-books. Somehow, I find them to read far faster than normal books (one evening vs three to four for a medium-sized title), and of course there are tons of fan-fiction that is not available in print.
I have to say that printing out approximately 3000 pages of a certain fanfic I've read recently would really be insane.

But hey... I still can't read this stuff as fast as I'd want to!

Luso 14-03-2007 05:39 PM

for me a book must bee in paper

Grinder 14-03-2007 08:05 PM

I'm skeptic about e-Books. But I come from a family with a laaaarge book collection, so I kinda need those shelves full of books around me. But if I had some small device to drag around with me, why not?

Doubler 15-03-2007 12:03 AM

I love the possibility, but I can't read them on-screen nearly as well as normal paper ones. My attention flickers while I get a headache :P
Staring at a computer screen is not my idea of pleasant reading.

So I prefer the old paper ones, but I really like the opportunity to acces them online. You can't always get the old paper ones.

3d option, with a hint of the first (as I can still enjoy them when they're on-screen ;) ).

Lulu_Jane 15-03-2007 07:11 AM

Speaking of e-books, which of course you are ( :) ) I really reccomend checking out "Steampunk Magazine."

You can buy it on dead trees, or download it pdf-wise for free. The Fifth Horesman, I think that you in particular might get a kick out of it.

Anyways, it's very cool, and available here

Where I live, english language books are not the easiest to find, and when you do they are very expensive, so I am consequently a big fan of e-books.

Japo 15-03-2007 12:20 PM

"If I can't find its physical counterpart", and then hypothetically because I've never read whole online nothing but brief works. But I guess it depends on one's circumstances.

Quintopotere 15-03-2007 04:45 PM

Nothing could be better than paper and ink/toner to nourse my fantasy.

The current time is 10:44 PM (GMT)