Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Wizardy I - Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=26666)

Tomekk 18-02-2011 02:22 PM

Wizardy I - Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord

The first Wizardry game was one of the original CRPG dungeon crawlers, and stands along with Ultima and Might & Magic as one of the defining staples of the genre.

Feel free to comment and discuss the game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and download (if available)

Geezer 19-02-2011 09:03 PM

Kudos, tracker for providing the first in a legendary series of games. It isn't easy to get through some of these very early games these days. Thanks.

Tracker 15-05-2011 06:22 PM

Ty Geezer:)

I'm posting here because recently I've encountered something unexpected. A fellow adventurer had troubles importing his characters into Wizardry 2. I, of course came to his aid, but after explaining what to do, I was told that my method wouldn't work, simply because the files of my version aren't the same as the on-site games'. I noticed that the archives were provided by Nick a long time ago, but this is something important I think. There might be numerous problems arising from game version differences, as they might not be compatible with each other. Considering these I suggest we should put my version (which is supposedly the Wizardry Archives version) on site so people could mess around with it if they have a bad luck with the other one. Opinions?

Brouhaha 08-07-2011 12:35 AM

HP on level-up

Does anybody know the formula for the hit point gains on level-up? I'm playing the NES version if that makes any difference.

Tracker 08-07-2011 08:38 AM

Well, if you're playing the NES version that does make difference, but I've no idea how much. If I remember correctly, you level up by visiting the Inn, and resting there. In the PC version which I've played (the Wizardry Archives version, to be correct), you gained points randomly, and sometimes you even lost some. Even the choice of how many attributes will gain or lose points is random - there isn't any kind of rule or formula. Still, I strongly encourage you to research the subject a little.

Good luck,

- Tracker

arete 10-07-2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracker (Post 427342)
Ty Geezer:)

I'm posting here because recently I've encountered something unexpected. A fellow adventurer had troubles importing his characters into Wizardry 2. I, of course came to his aid, but after explaining what to do, I was told that my method wouldn't work, simply because the files of my version aren't the same as the on-site games'. I noticed that the archives were provided by Nick a long time ago, but this is something important I think. There might be numerous problems arousing from game version differences, as they might not be compatible with each other. Considering these I suggest we should put my version (which is supposedly the Wizardry Archives version) on site so people could mess around with it if they have a bad luck with the other one. Opinions?

*Arising*. Arousing is... something else entirely :D

Tracker 10-07-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arete (Post 430430)
*Arising*. Arousing is... something else entirely :D

Why you're reading ages old threads is beyond me, and will remain there. :mhh:

mktphan 20-10-2011 09:38 PM

Alignment problem

Not sure if I'm missing something, but I'm having a problem with the alignments of my characters suddenly shifting on me. I've had a Bishop and a Priest switch to Good on me. The Bishop was neutral and the Priest was evil. I think it happened when resting at the Inn.

These were totally separate incidents by the way. And on different excursions to the maze.

Older-n-diiiirt 13-03-2012 02:03 AM

Evil turning good?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mktphan (Post 435447)
Not sure if I'm missing something, but I'm having a problem with the alignments of my characters suddenly shifting on me. I've had a Bishop and a Priest switch to Good on me. The Bishop was neutral and the Priest was evil. I think it happened when resting at the Inn.

These were totally separate incidents by the way. And on different excursions to the maze.

Did you let the fleeing critters get away (and not pursue them), or let friendlies live? I think that's how you turn "good."

When I used to play this game, I had the reverse problem. I would attack the "friendly" monsters or fleeing monsters, and then one of my characters wound up turning "evil" on me (not good, since it was a good-and-neutral party). I had to NOT level up and try to go out in the maze and give the critters a free pass.

Good luck.

Pangolin9999 17-03-2012 01:08 PM

Yes, your characters can turn good if you leave when friendly monsters appear, and turn evil when you attack friendly monsters. It's random, but also not something that happens very frequently.

Incidentally, you can use this to your advantage - you could use this to get a Lord and Ninja in the same party, something you can't normally do. Takes quite a while to get there, however.

The current time is 06:14 PM (GMT)