Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Gaming Zone (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Space Quest Vi (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=6091)

Shifter 08-07-2005 02:53 AM

This isn't actually a fav oldy topic, but more of question.

Until today I didn't even know they made a SQ6..I had never heard of it..cept one I thought was cancelled..and I definately never saw it for purchase.

Unfortuantely I know it isn't abandonware because of Sierra's stubborness. Then again all their new stuff (aside from a select few games) Suck so I guess I don't blame them for protecting their old GOOD games.

Anyways..anyone played this..is it any good? This coming from a big Sierra Adventure fan and SQ fan.

a1s 08-07-2005 03:14 AM

I wouldn't say it sucks... but it's not really up to the other ones. I think that is in part why they canceled sqVII. allthough it might have had some good movies or voices- I wouldn't know (russian semi-pirate publishers of mid 90s had no honor and would put anything on their compilations).

Frodo 08-07-2005 03:40 AM

There are some very funny moments, but somehow it doesn't have the 'magic' of previous Space Quest games.

Having said that, if you're a SQ fan, then I recommend you track it down and buy it (possibly from eBay). It's still a good game. :ok:

dumpling321 08-07-2005 04:02 AM

i do believe spacequest.net has gotton permission to put sq6 on their site for download i'm not sure but they do have it (with speech)

dumpling321 08-07-2005 04:04 AM

oh i forgot fans are making a space quest 7

Frodo 08-07-2005 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dumpling321@Jul 8 2005, 04:02 AM
i do believe spacequest.net has gotton permission to put sq6 on their site for download i'm not sure but they do have it (with speech)
SpaceQuest.net doesn't have the games for download anymore - just demos and documentation.

But the demo should give you a good idea of what the game is like :ok:

a1s 08-07-2005 04:13 AM

the key word being fans (non professionals). allthough both sq 0 and 2.5 weren't bad... lets wait and see.

Shifter 08-07-2005 04:13 AM

Ah, never knew of that site. Going to check it out right now.

Just finished Fate of Atlantis yesterday..so another adventure wouldn't hurt.

Edit:
Downloaded, checking out.

I have seen that website before too..had forgotten about it. It's sad how VU forced ESA to make them remove downloads. It makes no sense that they dont sell them..yet dont want people to play them.

I even emailed them complaining and saying how I will no longer support VU games or anything affiliated with them. I know it probably wont even be read, and if it is noone will care..but I felt the need to do it anyways..so I did.

:P

Checking out the demo now, so thanks for the info.

Edit2:

Ah..definately different feel from the old ones..the voices are a nice touch..but I could foresee that Narrator as becoming very annoying after awhile :P

Frodo 08-07-2005 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by a1s@Jul 8 2005, 04:13 AM
allthough both sq 0 and 2.5 weren't bad... lets wait and see.
I forgot about those 2 - I thought they were great. :Brain:

I must play them both again.

I loved the whole idea of 2.5. His hair is different, and he has a big 'conspiracy' style adventure. Then (if I remember rightly) at the end, he gets sent back in time as if the whole adventure never happened. It is hilarious. :w00t:

Thankyou, A1s, for reminding me of the fan games. :ok:

Shifter 08-07-2005 04:35 AM

SW Imperial Shuttle, and a Star Trek Shuttle, in the docking bay..how funny.

Frodo 08-07-2005 04:42 AM

Glad you are enjoying the demo :ok:

dumpling321 08-07-2005 05:19 AM

also frenchkiss has the international version of the sq collection and i think sq6 is in it

Shifter 08-07-2005 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dumpling321@Jul 8 2005, 05:19 AM
also frenchkiss has the international version of the sq collection and i think sq6 is in it
Whats Frenchkiss?

a1s 08-07-2005 05:33 AM

don't let your friend know you're a n00b, visit THE ABANDONWARE RING!
two other site you should know are the largest game archive(HOTU) and information(moby) archives.

Message modified by Omuletzu
Reason: Linking to warez sites

rabadi 08-07-2005 06:17 AM

SpaceQuest.net removed the game download? Whoa... when did that happen? Just early this year I still managed to download the game. That's too bad...

Anyway, the demo is way much too short, and has *nothing* to do with the actual game. For me the narrator is not annoying. IIRC some of the funny moments do come from the narrator's comments. I don't really feel SQ6 is bad either, but that's just me I guess.

Galadrin 08-07-2005 02:28 PM

It happened right about the same time that Abandonia was threatened by the ESA. I really don't support downloading commercial games, but common VU, use it or lose it. I know that I for one would love to have a collectors edition of Gabriel Knight, Space Quest and the Lara Bow series (I've got the KQ and QFG ones already) without having to pay the extortionary e-bay prices.

Edit: S&G et al.

A. J. Raffles 08-07-2005 02:33 PM

Common what?:huh:

a1s 08-07-2005 05:23 PM

Vivendi Universal? at least that's how he used it last time... allthough it doesn't quite fit in context here, does it?
how would vivendi take away a game you're not using? and why?

BeefontheBone 08-07-2005 05:29 PM

you wanna be careful with frenchkiss, it hosts warez.

Shifter 08-07-2005 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by a1s@Jul 8 2005, 05:23 PM
Vivendi Universal? at least that's how he used it last time... allthough it doesn't quite fit in context here, does it?
how would vivendi take away a game you're not using? and why?

What he was saying to Vivendi Universon is "Come on, you own the liscences for SQ (and others), so either USE those liscences or the products, or lose them (release them as abandonware)"

A. J. Raffles 08-07-2005 06:59 PM

Well, but the point is that it's not up to us to make that decision. Whether we like it or not, those games still rightfully belong to Vivendi, so it's up to them to 'use them', 'lose them' or - as they obviously prefer to do - simply 'keep them'. It simply won't do to complain about their (perhaps unwise) policy or use it as an excuse for warez. We have to respect their decision, even if we think it's damn foolish.

Galadrin 11-07-2005 05:03 AM

I have to obey thier decision, not respect it. Luckily for me I actually own all but the last two Space Quests and, since I live in Canada, I can download them all I like. I cannot say the same for the Gabriel Knights nor for the Laura Bow games unfortunately, and would still like to own a copy of the final two Space Quest games just to satisfy my OCD :tai: As for not complaining about their policy all I have to say is have you never heard the phrase "Squeeky wheel gets the grease," it's what corporations use to get their way all the time.

Oh, and Shifter got it right, though I'm not really sure about the confusion...

Edit: Keep in mind that warez will be relative to the country you live in... though I have no idea where frenchkiss is hosted.

Bobbin Threadbare 11-07-2005 05:35 AM

Frenchkiss maybe in France. Just an obvious guess.

Omuletzu 11-07-2005 09:06 AM

A mild warning people:
Frenchkiss hosts warez.This is the last time i will let such discussions continue.
Now i believe this is a good topic for SQ fans(although i am not one of them), so i will not edit any posts nor will i close the thread.
Continue with SQ, drop the frenchkiss discussion/linking!

A. J. Raffles 11-07-2005 09:37 AM

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I was very disappointed by Space Quest 6. SQ5 was one of my favourites, but SQ6 just felt wrong, somehow. Maybe it was the different graphics. And I never did get the patch for that odd crash bug to work, so I never finished it.:(

Galadrin 11-07-2005 02:22 PM

I kinda heard that about the last one, which was part of the reason that I didn't buy it at the time... I figured I could always pick it up three or four years later, because Sierra would always sell its old quest games (they did keep them for sale for a really long time) ah well... I'll keep looking.

A. J. Raffles 11-07-2005 02:54 PM

Well, you might want to try here. The price looks OK. You don't have that much time left, though.

The current time is 02:05 AM (GMT)