Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Dos Question/ Win98to Win3.1 No Cd (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=14650)

catfishingharry 27-06-2007 11:18 PM

yes i'm a newbie, i have tinkered with dos a long looonnnggg time ago, my son ,41/2 yr old loves some of the older games, i formatted a samsung 4.3 gb hd that had win 98 on it, i tried to install win 95-no luck, i did install dos 6.2 on it and win 3.1, how do i do it the right way of changing dos to read cd rom too, i have redneck games and duke nukem and others that i would like to set up on that computer of games only, is it possable and how? i really appreciate your time and help!!!! i had a friend from another site tell me about dosbox for my win xp that i'm on right now, it works fine now, my son is really into heretic 2 right now, dora is out!! ha ha am i wrong?, he is doing awesome on the games!! again thanks for any help. catfishingharry

The Fifth Horseman 28-06-2007 12:39 PM

First of all, you need to install CD-ROM drivers in DOS.

Second, Win 3.1 is upgradeable to 95 - been there, done that (or rather, back then, a more computer-savy friend did that for me).

Third, there is a DOS 7.1 somwhere out there. It has a floppy and CD-ROM versions, with the latter being quite user-friendly in terms of installation. In fact, it includes a number of useful optional extensions.
I can't, however, say for sure that it is fully compatibile with DOS 6.22 in terms of running games.

Fourth, for ease of use I always recommend installing Norton Commander or a similar GUI (DOS Navigator, Volkov Commander et al) on a DOS machine.

catfishingharry 28-06-2007 09:39 PM

thank you for your time and your help, i'll look into it, i'm tinkering around with it just to see if i can do it, yeah??? this way if my son screws it up then i'll just try again ha ha, again thanks for your time, catfishingharry<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jun 28 2007, 06:39 AM) [snapback]296899[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

First of all, you need to install CD-ROM drivers in DOS.

Second, Win 3.1 is upgradeable to 95 - been there, done that (or rather, back then, a more computer-savy friend did that for me).

Third, there is a DOS 7.1 somwhere out there. It has a floppy and CD-ROM versions, with the latter being quite user-friendly in terms of installation. In fact, it includes a number of useful optional extensions.
I can't, however, say for sure that it is fully compatibile with DOS 6.22 in terms of running games.

Fourth, for ease of use I always recommend installing Norton Commander or a similar GUI (DOS Navigator, Volkov Commander et al) on a DOS machine.
[/b]

The Fifth Horseman 29-06-2007 03:11 PM

If it helps any, the CD-ROM extension for MS-DOS is called MSCDEX.

catfishingharry 29-06-2007 11:28 PM

thank you, just got home, i'll try it and se what happens.<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jun 29 2007, 09:11 AM) [snapback]297115[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

If it helps any, the CD-ROM extension for MS-DOS is called MSCDEX.
[/b]

The current time is 12:51 PM (GMT)