Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Kings Quest 5 - Absence Makes the Heart go Yonder (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=281)

Kosta 06-06-2004 06:59 PM

Kings Quest 5 - Absence Makes the Heart go Yonder

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review

Anonymous 07-06-2004 08:39 PM

First Adventure Game

I will always have a soft spot for this game because this was the adventure game that took my adventure game virginity. I spent months figuring this game out, and I completed it with no outside help. Hooray for me!!! :lol:

Tom Henrik 07-06-2004 09:55 PM

I think that was the best part of the old sierra games.

They were extremely difficult to play, so you spent a very long time to complete them. And since the internet was something of a myth, you couldn't just look for a walkthrough when you got stuck in the game. You had to figure it out by yourself. (Or you could invite some friends over, and all would be crunched together in front of the screen to try to advance in the game). I remember the way you really admired the one who actually did manage to solve the problem... I mean your jaw litterally hit the floor in pure dazzlement! :D

Not to mention the incredible euforic kick you got when you after months of cursing, laughter and amazements finally finished the game! It was so good to finally complete something you had worked so hard on! (I think walkthroughs have made games too easy to complete and the exstacy is not there when you complete a game).

This is why I really love those old games, and why I dislike walkthroughs... The magic slowly disappears...

FreeFreddy 08-06-2004 07:28 AM

That's right. There is no more fun of the game then trying 2 weeks to solve that part of it, and then you try something you didn't thought of before and - BOOM! you can proceed! New locations, new experience! :D

Anonymous 15-07-2004 10:41 PM

copyright protection

hey,

when I go to the thieves camp in the desert, there's some sort of "spell"/code, I have to enter, which I assume is Sierra's copyright protection. Sometimes, if I hit randem letters, I can go into the tent, but I'm promptly killed. Is there anyway to kind this mystical code? Thanks for your help.

Tom Henrik 16-07-2004 05:04 AM

Re: copyright protection

Quote:

hey,

when I go to the thieves camp in the desert, there's some sort of \"spell\"/code, I have to enter, which I behind is Sierra's copyright protection. *Sometimes, if I hit randem letters, I can go into the tent, but I'm promptly killed. *Is there anyway to kind this mystical code? *Thanks for your help.

Have you downloaded the codes?
They are on the same site where you downloaded the game. (In the top part where it says extras).

Omuletzu 17-07-2004 12:15 PM

Re: copyright protection

Quote:

...which I behind is Sierra's copyright protection...
:lol: :lol: silly censorship

xndr2181 05-08-2004 11:01 PM

Quote:

I think that was the best part of the old sierra games.

They were extremely difficult to play, so you spent a very long time to complete them. And since the internet was something of a myth, you couldn't just look for a walkthrough when you got stuck in the game. You had to figure it out by yourself. (Or you could invite some friends over, and all would be crunched together in front of the screen to try to advance in the game). I remember the way you really admired the one who actually did manage to solve the problem... I mean your jaw litterally hit the floor in pure dazzlement! *:D *

Not to mention the incredible euforic kick you got when you after months of cursing, laughter and amazements finally finished the game! It was so good to finally complete something you had worked so hard on! (I think walkthroughs have made games too easy to complete and the exstacy is not there when you complete a game).

This is why I really love those old games, and why I dislike walkthroughs... The magic slowly disappears...

I totally agree with you! I have to admit, I've been to the darkside, there was a period of time when I relied on walkthroughs, and I'm ashamed to admit that. But not to long ago I beat King's Quest 2 VGA all by myself, I was so proud that I did it, that I've convinced myself to no longer use Walkthroughs. I miss that feeling of pride and excitement.
-Sean

FreeFreddy 06-08-2004 08:02 AM

Well, if you use the walkthrough only to finally beat the one part where you're stuck, it doesn't spoil the fun of the games. It just depends on you, if you stop there or use the walkthrough further.

xndr2181 06-08-2004 06:35 PM

Quote:

Well, if you use the walkthrough only to finally beat the one part where you're stuck, it doesn't spoil the fun of the games. It just depends on you, if you stop there or use the walkthrough further.
That's true, I mean don't get me wrong, sometimes I think with certain adventure games(discworld) you need a walkthrough cause puzzles can sometimes get ridiculous(discworld) :D . But I also feel that you get a different feeling if you beat a game without using a walkthrough that you don't get if you do use the walkthrough. Hope that made sense, :wink:
-Sean

The current time is 06:05 AM (GMT)