Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Tech Corner (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   3 yoga problems: (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=24087)

yoga 08-03-2010 08:45 AM

3 yoga problems:

3 yoga problems:

@1
1.I am in XP Pro. But I wanna the Classic view of Search option from Win 98.. No stupid dog, no question of..
Click Search and the relevant window opens. Simple and practical. (Yes, dog is no so fatal).

@2
1.During some DL i was object of very hard virus attack. I am with Avast. The attack was canceled, but some problem appeared: When click on icon My Computer and my hard disks letters appeared and I use RM button to open, I received a window .. Open with..
Choose the program to open this file..which is very unacceptable for me.. instead of direct opening of the relevant disks.

@3 YOU, mates, know that after 3-4 months Microsoft will stops the support of XP. In this case if I again install XP, where i will find and DL the Updates? Or is possible now to save my updates and use in the future?

:wall:

_r.u.s.s. 08-03-2010 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoga (Post 399117)
@1
1.I am in XP Pro. But I wanna the Classic view of Search option from Win 98.. No stupid dog, no question of..
Click Search and the relevant window opens. Simple and practical. (Yes, dog is no so fatal).

in your animated dog search window,
* click "change preferences" and select "Without an animated screen character"
*also click "change files and folders search behavior" and make sure that "advanced" is selected

Quote:

@2
1.During some DL i was object of very hard virus attack. I am with Avast. The attack was canceled, but some problem appeared: When click on icon My Computer and my hard disks letters appeared and I use RM button to open, I received a window .. Open with..
Choose the program to open this file..which is very unacceptable for me.. instead of direct opening of the relevant disks.

that's really weird, try clicking "explore" and look if you have a file called autorun.inf on your hard drives and if you do, delete them. . make sure that hidden files and folders are shown in explorer option. did a virus make it unable to view hidden folders? then follow this guide

also, get rid of avast piece of shit and get something more normal. at least norton .. if you want to use an antivirus

Quote:

@3 YOU, mates, know that after 3-4 months Microsoft will stops the support of XP. In this case if I again install XP, where i will find and DL the Updates? Or is possible now to save my updates and use in the future?

those windows updates were crap anyways, the only thing you ever really needed is this fix

and what's even better, windows updates won't be even bothering your download bandwidth and memory as services=P
i run all of my xp machines with updates disabled and i couldn't be happier

yoga 08-03-2010 11:24 AM

1. I off the animated dog. Still main problem exists.
I want - Search-Search window (NO All files and folders)

2. I know that Explore solves problem. Del Autorun.inf does not help me.

3. Nice advice. Will follow. I DL the fix YOU stated.

TY, Russ.

The Fifth Horseman 08-03-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

AFAIK, this will not mean they will make all updates unavailable, only stop making new ones. I checked recently and WU still had updates for something as old and as unsupported as Windows 98SE. :)

Frodo 08-03-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. (Post 399121)
i run all of my xp machines ...

Just how many computers do you have??? :omg:

_r.u.s.s. 08-03-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoga (Post 399124)
1. I off the animated dog. Still main problem exists.
I want - Search-Search window (NO All files and folders)

wha? what do you mean by "search-search" window?

frodo, 4

The Fifth Horseman 08-03-2010 03:19 PM

I'm guessing he wants a Win9x style search tool.

yoga 08-03-2010 07:10 PM

Yes, 5D is right..
I want Win9x style Search tool..

_r.u.s.s. 08-03-2010 07:44 PM

but after you follow my advice on both of the options the search tool becomes the same as in windows 9x, except it's in the same window and doesn't pop up as a new one

The Fifth Horseman 08-03-2010 09:46 PM

The one built into Total Commander works almost like the 9x one (far as I remember it), plus a few improvements.

The current time is 07:30 AM (GMT)