Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Celtic Tales - how to make sound effects work? (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=19458)

Pex 08-04-2009 09:42 AM

Celtic Tales - how to make sound effects work?

I run this game in dosbox and I set my cicles to 20000. Game speed is good and music plays very well (although I turn it off cause it's annoying), but sound effects won't work. They're there, but they're too fast and nothing they should be.

I played the game ages ago on my 486 and I know I had to meddle with autoexec.bat, to set some buffers or something, but if I remember correctly, that was just to see the final animation, after you kill Balor.

And I know you can play the game without sound effect perfectly, but I really used to like them. I remember that yawning sound when you order a hero to rest always annoyed my sister ;)

So, can anyone help me?

The Fifth Horseman 08-04-2009 11:33 AM

Did you run the game's sound setup? Set it to Sound Blaster, IRQ 7, DMA 1, Adress 220.

_r.u.s.s. 08-04-2009 01:10 PM

if they're too fast try turning cycles down? you can use ctrl f11 for that

Eagle of Fire 08-04-2009 10:39 PM

The way you worded your post tend to suggest to me that you are not using the last DOSBox version.

Did you try ver. 0.72?

Pex 09-04-2009 05:18 AM

I'm using 0.72 version.

Game runs normally with the set number of cycle (music, speed of heroes, animations, etc). It's just that sound effects don't work right.

As for the sound setup, it only gives you possibillity to select different sound cards (and there I select Sound Blaster), not addresses or channels.

_r.u.s.s. 09-04-2009 09:15 PM

ahh i remember now. there were other people having "problems" with sound of our version of celtic tales in games discussion. this is a rip. there are practically no sounds except some walking ones, that sound like when you put a popcorn inside your bicycle wheel

Pex 10-04-2009 02:29 AM

Hmm, I never tried to put a popcorn inside my bycicle wheel, but I imagine sound would've been similar to what I hear in the game.

So, I guess, there's no point playing with settings, sound effects just won't happen? A pitty. I wonder if I would be able to dig out my old copy of the game...

_r.u.s.s. 10-04-2009 02:59 AM

i believe you could also find some copies around the net if you look properly=P

marko river 22-10-2013 08:59 AM

Thx to guest ixltixl for his post, I tried it and it works :3:
IRQ=5 yeah baby

And I was sure that I uploaded the old version I had and there were sound effects on old Pentium. Now that I think of it, it was always strange why default SB setting for IRQ in DOSBox is 7, because in Serbia in times of Pentiums and 486s, we all used 5. I thought that is default, that only some games use 7 for whatever reason. Later when I got used to DOSBox, I start thinking that it doesn't really matter, but I'm glad to see 5 again, it does bring back some memories.

(Naturally I still have no clue what IRQ is, I guess it takes only one step - search it on the net, but I'll leave it this way for now)

The Fifth Horseman 22-10-2013 11:35 AM

7 is more common in my experience.

The current time is 01:45 PM (GMT)