Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Gaming Zone (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Warcraft 2 (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=9185)

gregor 16-02-2006 05:53 AM

I recently downloaded a warcraft 2 ripped version that actually works. i run it form win 98, works just fine. it's an interesting game, played it once before. the most i like about it is sounds.
but the biggest downside is (only now i discovered) the high cost of units (even peasants) and (this one i knew before) very limited resources. To me it seems basically like upgraded Dune 2.

Still what i do find a bit annoying is that despite nice graphics the movement of screen (map scroll) is too fast on todays computers. anyone knows how to reduce it? i tried reducing the speed in the menu, but it didn't help much. what about resolution? was there anyway to change it to a higher one? i can't seem to remember it because it's been a while since i played the original version.

Scatty 16-02-2006 07:38 AM

Well, to reduce the map scroll you can either use SlowDown - download here - or you can use DosBox which you can download through a link here, if your PC is fast enough for it.
As this is a game from 1995, you can't change the resolution in it yet. It's always 640x480.

The Fifth Horseman 16-02-2006 01:51 PM

Man... this thread is warez talk.

Warcraft 2 is still sold - and quite cheap - in something called "Battle.net edition, which is supposedly somewhat better and runs under XP with no problems.

Rogue 16-02-2006 02:24 PM

Only warez thing is that he mention he downloaded riped version.

If I was you, I still would consider to buy this game, as new version is optimized for a new computers, and it comes with additional expension pack and all cool videos.

I paid 10 bucks me think for it, and I already had old battle chest. It is very worth it!

And it is funny to compare Dune and Warcraft...

SirPeter 16-02-2006 03:42 PM

Rips are still warez though.

gregor 16-02-2006 04:26 PM

yah, well... some sites offer them as abandonware. :O
anyway i doubt new version would help, because i don't have XP. and i already played it once (the original), i just want to replay it a bit nothing else. probabyl not even the whole game, because i am sure i will get tired of it somewhere in the middle.

I also heard that there is a remake available. Or should i say half remake, something like Zdoom, where you need some original files to make the game work...

The Fifth Horseman 16-02-2006 04:43 PM

Quote:

Or Warcraft 1, 2 and 3, in fact. Each was a very different game in terms of how it played (personal preference goes to Warcraft 1).

velik_m 16-02-2006 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by the_fifth_horseman@Feb 16 2006, 05:43 PM
Quote:

Or Warcraft 1, 2 and 3, in fact. Each was a very different game in terms of how it played (personal preference goes to Warcraft 1).

is it ok if i call "Age of Empires" a "Warcraft 2" clone? :sneaky:

Rogue 16-02-2006 07:10 PM

@ velik_m - AOE offered some stuff that Warcraft 2 did not have, and improved animation, different kind of story with ability to replay same missions. Both games have their ups and downs.

@ gregor - never heard of remake of WC2. Are you sure you did not mean Total Annihilation? There is a remake of that game, which is converted into 3D world.

Yobor 16-02-2006 08:40 PM

I have the old version, and what I do is use the cursor on the mini-map, and that works just fine.

The current time is 09:04 AM (GMT)