Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Blood and Magic (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=26707)

Tomekk 25-02-2011 03:32 PM

Blood and Magic

Blood & Magic is a real-time strategy game focused on unit management rather than base construction. It takes place in the Forgotten Realms AD&D setting. There are five separate storyline scenarios of increasing difficulty with three missions per scenario, playable from the side of both factions each.

Feel free to comment and discuss the game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and download (if available)

_r.u.s.s. 25-02-2011 04:30 PM

soo, according to the reviewer, if graphics are 5, sound is 4, gameplay is 3 and interface is 5, how the hell is overall 3?

Tomekk 25-02-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. (Post 423590)
soo, according to the reviewer, if graphics are 5, sound is 4, gameplay is 3 and interface is 5, how the hell is overall 3?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reviewer
I’m going to give the game a 3/5 because I found it got repetitive way too quickly.

:p

Aramazon 25-02-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. (Post 423590)

I'm not a math major? :P

In my mind it's not a simple case of finding the average...it's actually an overall rating for the game, and while I'm saying that the graphics and interface are awesome, the sound is good, the gameplay has some setbacks.

Also, for me, gameplay is definitely the deciding factor in the game. Have you played Ancient Domains of Mystery for example?

I love that game. I obviously wouldn't give it a 5/5 for graphics, probably a 1 or 2, and the sound is non existent...but I would feel the need to give it at least a 4 or 5 in gameplay and definitely at least a 4 overall...because the game itself rocks.

I suppose the graphics and sound are in there more just so that the reader knows what to expect...overall is more like out of all games how does this game rank...is it average, is it excellent, or is it one of the best...a 2 would be a bad experience and a 1...well that's not worth playing or having on this site :P

I guess what I'm saying is that each rating is complete separate from the others, but gameplay typically most closely represents the overall.

Ratings are a pretty relative thing I suppose...sorry bout rambling :)

Anyone actually play to the last level(gate of the immortals)? I gotta say that was a fun map!

Borodin 26-02-2011 03:00 AM

Not rambling. It's simply that all factors making the score aren't equal.

(Unregistered)CorSair 27-02-2011 05:29 AM

This is bit odd, I tried to run game, but it crashes, and this error occurs:

Detection System Failed to find hardware at line 694, file soundmgr.cpp

So, what's the problem?

Eagle of Fire 27-02-2011 05:42 AM

Quote:

Because that's the intelligent way to rate a game, in direct contradiction to the "modern" way of rating a game.

Graphics and sounds does not make a game. Gameplay does. Plus the fact it was so repetitive so fast, how could this game be rated anything above 3 since gameplay was also rated 3?

Since Abandonia is not trying to get money by selling games which are not great, I fail to see why the "modern" way of rating games should be used. Let's give credit for the reviewer for that. A good review IMHO.

The Fifth Horseman 27-02-2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Unregistered)CorSair (Post 423698)
This is bit odd, I tried to run game, but it crashes, and this error occurs:

Detection System Failed to find hardware at line 694, file soundmgr.cpp

So, what's the problem?

Are you using DOSBox?

(Unregistered)CorSair 27-02-2011 12:21 PM

Yes I do. Thought it would be self-evident to run game on dosbox, but it seems I was wrong. :P

I actually managed to get game work, but that required to use no sounds. :/ Guess I should try to find right sound settings... Meh.

_r.u.s.s. 27-02-2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire (Post 423699)
Because that's the intelligent way to rate a game, in direct contradiction to the "modern" way of rating a game.

Graphics and sounds does not make a game. Gameplay does. Plus the fact it was so repetitive so fast, how could this game be rated anything above 3 since gameplay was also rated 3?

Since Abandonia is not trying to get money by selling games which are not great, I fail to see why the "modern" way of rating games should be used. Let's give credit for the reviewer for that. A good review IMHO.

but that's like saying that other factors don't count at all. no matter what the graphics, sound, story, anything, only gameplay matters

The current time is 09:46 PM (GMT)