Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Blah, blah, blah... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   10 Most Influential Educational Games of the 80's (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=18091)

Lulu_Jane 20-10-2008 03:51 AM

10 Most Influential Educational Games of the 80's

It's an interesting little list.

I had utterly forgotten that Mavis Beacon helped both my younger sister and I to type :)

What do you reckon, did they miss any?

Eagle of Fire 20-10-2008 04:02 AM

I reckon that this article is pretty much worthless.

Educational games? C'mon, how influential can educational games get? Oh wow, you learned that 6+7=13 on a computer game? Good for you?

C'mon now... Except for the last two entries (and perhapf M.U.L.E), there not a game in there which is worth mentioning...

Lulu_Jane 20-10-2008 04:11 AM

I think you can argue that Oregon Trail was influential, every American below 35 I've ever met remembers it fondly.

TheChosen 20-10-2008 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire (Post 340527)
C'mon now... Except for the last two entries (and perhapf M.U.L.E), there not a game in there which is worth mentioning...

Oregon Trail, Carmen Sandiego, SimCity, Zork.....

Yeah. Totally worthless and not mentionable.

dosraider 20-10-2008 05:13 AM

Doom, FTW!

Tomekk 20-10-2008 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dosraider (Post 340531)
Doom, FTW!

Yes, Doom was very educational by teaching kids that "the bigger the gun, the better." :thumbs:

Doink 20-10-2008 06:14 AM

edit: deleted message after actually reading the article:-)

Eagle of Fire 20-10-2008 08:23 AM

Quote:

Oregon Trail, Carmen Sandiego, SimCity, Zork.....

Yeah. Totally worthless and not mentionable.
Problem here is that Sim City is not an educational game. It's a sim game.

Carmen Sandiego? Give me a break... I played that game when I was 10, and it's perfectly in the age range you should play this game... I've found it boring as hell. I actually prefered the learning part to the game itself.

Maybe that's because some of those games were so awfull that they did get mentionned as "influantial"... I clearly remember M.U.L.E. being cited in numerous PC gaming magazine as one of the worst multiplayer interface ever created... :whistling:

Lulu_Jane 20-10-2008 08:37 AM

Sim City is education whether it intended to be or not. Resource management, cause and effect, etc.

Also, whether or not M.U.L.E was one of the "worst multiplayer interfaces ever created," is kind of irrelevant.

Icewolf 20-10-2008 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire (Post 340527)
I reckon that this article is pretty much worthless.

Educational games? C'mon, how influential can educational games get? Oh wow, you learned that 6+7=13 on a computer game? Good for you?[...]

I have to disagree.

If you play a game that has certain logical coherences your brain has to work them out. Thus you might say indeed that e.g. the solution of math-tasks to play a game is a nice way to train your math-skills.
Ostensibly you're playing a computer-game but you are working out your brain in the background.

I think logic games like Tetris/Blockout should be in the list as well.
It helps female players to develop a better spatial perception... ^_^
Whereas men maybe should try the Tamagochi... :laugh:

The current time is 08:23 AM (GMT)