Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Old Suggestions (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=144)
-   -   Seemingly random logouts (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=24335)

Fruit Pie Jones 31-03-2010 05:25 PM

Seemingly random logouts

This has been happening long enough that's it's probably in a FAQ somewhere, but I feel like talking about it anyway. I can't pin down why the forum feels it's necessary to log me out randomly. I can understand being logged out after a long interval of inactivity, but this is not always the case. Sometimes I'll be in the middle of reading a thread, and I'll get dumped to the "You are not logged in" page when I click on anything. If I click on the main page, it logs me back in again, and I can then go back to the forums and resume what I was doing.

This is not a major issue, but it can be really annoying when I'm editing a review in the Grammar forum, as that often takes quite a while. I've learned to preview posts frequently while working on them, so that the forum knows I'm still alive, and also to copy posts in progress to the clipboard before submitting them, lest they be lost forever.

_r.u.s.s. 31-03-2010 05:33 PM

never happened to me o_O
only because of inactivity. perhaps you were 'translating' a page for too long and got logged out? i think it logs you out after about 10/15 minutes

btw if you're worried about losing your translation, you can always click "back" and the stuff you've written so far is still in the old editbox. if it's not you can even ctrl+z

Fruit Pie Jones 31-03-2010 06:01 PM

Yeah, I've used the back button on occasion when I've forgotten to grab a copy of something. The logouts just aren't consistent. In fact, it happened to me a little while ago as I was browsing the forum. Having finished reading a thread, I clicked on the main forum page and noticed that none of the forums where showing new posts. It was obvious I had been logged out, so I went to the front page, then back to the forum, and I was back in. It's just weird...

TotalAnarchy 31-03-2010 06:45 PM

You're using the vbulletin link when accessing the forum?

Japo 31-03-2010 06:56 PM

I've always found the behaviour consistent, but tricky. First your session expires in a very short time, however it's renewed whenever you load a page of the site proper, that is the ones that have the tabs (site navigation, ab network...) on top (including www.abandonia.com/en/forum). Loading a page of the forum (www.abandonia.com/vbullet/) without this site frame around doesn't renew your session if it's expired, although I think its duration is refreshed if the session isn't expired.

Beats the Hell out of me why would the designers want this behaviour.

Fruit Pie Jones 02-04-2010 09:12 PM

Interesting, Japo. And for what it's worth, I don't use the vbulletin link to access the forum; I click the Forum tab of the main page, which takes me to http://www.abandonia.com/en/forum.

EDIT: I need to amend my statement. I use the Forum tab to initially get to the forums, but once there, I typically click on the vbulletin links to get around.

TotalAnarchy 03-04-2010 09:09 AM

Yes, I noticed this phenomena only on vbullet links, since the first time I used the forums. :p

Japo 04-04-2010 03:31 PM

I forgot to say, you go to /vbullet/ by default whenever you open a link in a new tab or window. If you just left-click the same link you should stay (it might depend on the browser) in /en/forum if that's where you were (if the site navigation tabs were visible above).

arete 04-04-2010 03:44 PM

It doesn't log you out; your session merely expires. Clicking on the forum tab renews your session whereas clicking on vbulletin links does not. Vaguely annoying on this phone simply because the ads aren't visible in /vbullet and they're a waste of precious bandwidth.

I can only occasionally post in the cb since the forum was tweaked a couple of weeks ago, and i'm grumpy.

Also welcome back, Japo ^_^

Japo 04-04-2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arete (Post 401830)
Also welcome back, Japo ^_^

Thanks. :) I'm still landing.

The current time is 07:47 PM (GMT)