Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   How do i run Warcraft 2? (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=32178)

Warcraft_2 15-09-2013 01:46 AM

How do i run Warcraft 2?

I have recently downloaded Warcraft 2 from Abandonia and am using DOSBox to run it. I can run the game up to the menu but when i try to play anything it says i need a cd. How do i get past the cd requirement?

This is what i type in DOSbox

mount d d:/war2

d:

cd war2

war2

What should i be doing? What do you do to play the DOS version from here?

dosraider 15-09-2013 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warcraft_2 (Post 457071)
This is what i type in DOSbox

mount d d:/war2

d:

cd war2

war2

What should i be doing? What do you do to play the DOS version from here?

It's so hard to read and follow the instructions, isn't it?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamesheet
This is the DOS version of the game. To run it, you must use DOSBox and start WAR2.bat, and the game must be mounted so that there's a C:\WAR2 directory visible inside DOSBox. Due to the nature of the solution used to make both the base game and the expansion available as a single package, this download will not work outside of DOSBox without changes. You can get around that by burning the contents of the TOD and DP directories to a CD for each (TOD = Tides Of Darkness, DP = Beyond the Dark Portal) and changing the CD drive letter in War2.ini.

C: not D:

So , for you it would come to:

mount c d:\
c:
cd war2
war2

That is if you unzipped the game into d:\war2
If you have something else (double folder ??? whatever????) details must come from you.

Warcraft_2 15-09-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dosraider (Post 457073)
It's so hard to read and follow the instructions, isn't it?

C: not D:

So , for you it would come to:

mount c d:\
c:
cd war2
war2

That is if you unzipped the game into d:\war2
If you have something else (double folder ??? whatever????) details must come from you.

That works even less likely due to the fact that both DOSBox and Warcraft 2 are installed in d

The Fifth Horseman 15-09-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warcraft_2 (Post 457090)
That works even less likely due to the fact that both DOSBox and Warcraft 2 are installed in d

Common beginner misconception. DOSBox drive letters do not have to match the drive letters on your system.
On my desktop system, I'm routinely mounting F:\DOSBox as my C drive.
mount c d:\ will mount your (real) D drive as DOSBox C drive. As far as any programs running in DOSBox are concerned, it is the C drive from then on.

Eniawag 25-02-2016 04:26 AM

[quote=Warcraft_2;457071]I have recently downloaded Warcraft 2 from Abandonia and am using DOSBox to run it. I can run the game up to the menu but when i try to play anything it says i need a cd. How do i get past the cd requirement?

From what he has said above it seems he is asking how to get past the game itself asking him to inset the cd into the drive.

This copy of the Game requires that Dosbox pretend a folder in the WAR2 Folder is the game cd.
the scripts that tell dosbox which cd is in dosboxs imaginary cd drive are are not compatible with all Operating systems. The game will still work fine if you mount the folder in dosbox maunally yourself and then rune the W2.EXE

The command to mount the folder goes somthing like this:
mount d <YourfilePathTotheFolderthatContains thecd> -t cdrom
in my case it was
mount d ~/Dos/WAR2/TOD -t cdrom

the folders inside the War2 folder that have to be mounted as a cd are
DP for the Beyond the DarkPortalcd
ToD for Tides of Darkness
i dont think you can mount them both at once you just need to mount the one you want to play.

Hopefully That is helpfull to someone

rasha 29-02-2016 06:14 AM

the scripts that tell dosbox which cd is in dosboxs imaginary cd drive are are not compatible with all Operating systems.

Apollo_Golden 10-05-2016 03:40 AM

This worked for me

On the installed folder, there is a file:

WAR2.ini.

Open it with a text editor. The first line reads:

cdpath=c:\

Change it to whatever letter you use when mounting the CDROM on DOSbox.

Worked for me!

The current time is 10:56 PM (GMT)