Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Blah, blah, blah... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Earthquakes (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=2498)

ultranewbie 18-01-2005 08:54 AM

there have been five earthquakes here tonight :blink:

all little ones, but it doesn't happen often. thought i would inform the world..

Havell 18-01-2005 09:05 AM

I remember a few years ago, when there was a little earthquake in Britain, I was in bed when it happened and I didn't have a clue what was going on LOL I thought it might have been the house starting to creak and fall down, when I realized that it was just a really little earthquake I wasn't worried though. It damaged our toilet and it wasn't really worth claiming insurance for it but we did just so we could have a cheque for "Earthquake Damage" LOL
5 earthquakes though... that's a lot, better watch out in case there's a bigger one on the way. Guess that's what you get if you decide to live on a fault line though :tomato:

Sebatianos 18-01-2005 10:17 AM

Either we're getting more sensitive about earthquakes, or there are actually more of them then there use to be. In Slovenia there was a large Earthqake at the turn of the century (19th into 20th). Since then there were no real earthquakes until 1998. After that year there were three already that caused considerable damage and always in the same region (in alpine villages). It's a bit weird, but I guess the number of quakes is actually increasing.

bohor 18-01-2005 12:11 PM

I never experienced an earthquake!! :cry:

Puffin 18-01-2005 02:33 PM

I've been in many earthquakes. But not untill I was 3 or 4, because untill then I lived in the North-western part of Iceland, and there are no earthquakes there.
The biggest earthquake I've been in was pretty big. Well, there were two of them. I've heard many versions of how big it actually was, and I don't know the official number. But I think they were around 6.5-7 on Richter. The first one was on June 17th (our independant day), so everybody were outside, and not many got hurt under falling furnitures and stuff. But the later one was few days later, in the night. But everybody had nailed down furnitures and taken stuff off the walls, so there were only few injured.
Few bridges and stuff collapsed, and cracks in many houses.

But we have earthquakes few times a year, mainly in the Southern part.

Eagle of Fire 18-01-2005 03:11 PM

I experimented an earthquake of 4,5 when I was young. I was about 7 and I just could not climb back to my feet.

Before the wave hit us, we could see the earth moving sightly up and coming out way. It was kind of scary for such a young age... Fortunatly, it lasted only about one minute and it went away.

Stroggy 18-01-2005 03:58 PM

There was a small earthquake in Belgium a year or so ago

Tulac 18-01-2005 06:18 PM

Here every year there are minor earthquakes (2,3 richter scale), I think there was 4 richter scale eathquake 3 years ago but it lasted for 5-6 second at least that's how long I felt it since it woke me up.<_<
The last strong earthquake was in the 19th century(6.5) but only two people died from it :huh:.They're expecting such an earthquake to occur again maybe tommorow, maybe in 500 years.
Heh I live near a railroad so I rarely even feel earthquakes :rolleyes:

Danny252 18-01-2005 06:46 PM

LOL I know we had one a few years back. I didn't even wake up. Now, that lightning storm created some shaking ;)

LeperMessiah 18-01-2005 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bohor@Jan 18 2005, 01:11 PM
I never experienced an earthquake!! :cry:
You wouldn't want to experience it again if you experience a strong one.. :ph34r: So don't feel incomplete/sad if you still haven't felt some kinda thing..

The current time is 12:35 PM (GMT)