Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Conan - The Cimmerian (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=14572)

Romano 21-06-2007 08:02 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

The Fifth Horseman 22-06-2007 01:34 PM

By Crom!
This is one game I didn't expect to show up on here anywhere soon!
Guess it's time to get out the Atlantean sword once again... :titan:

C 23-06-2007 03:57 PM

"May the Gods curse my failing memory! Of course Conan didn't really die. How could such a warrior as he be brought down by mere steel?"

Well, if the "warrior" in question doesn't know how to swing his sword . . . :unsure:

For some reason, I just can't figure out the fight controls! I can change attack types, run away, do just about anything but attack! :wallbash: If someone could post what the control keys for fighting are or tell me where to find the info before I bash my head completely through this wall, I'd appreciate it! Thank you! :kosta:

some guy 23-06-2007 04:55 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(C @ Jun 23 2007, 04:57 PM) [snapback]295971[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

"May the Gods curse my failing memory! Of course Conan didn't really die. How could such a warrior as he be brought down by mere steel?"

Well, if the "warrior" in question doesn't know how to swing his sword . . . :unsure:

For some reason, I just can't figure out the fight controls! I can change attack types, run away, do just about anything but attack! :wallbash: If someone could post what the control keys for fighting are or tell me where to find the info before I bash my head completely through this wall, I'd appreciate it! Thank you! :kosta:
[/b]

drow your sword with 2 on the keypad and then use 9,8 or 7 to attack.

C 24-06-2007 03:52 PM

:kosta: :kosta: :kosta:

Many thanks! Now perhaps I can finally get through this game without constantly being cut to pieces. ^_^

marko river 24-06-2007 07:44 PM

There are more ways actaully, you can also draw your sword with PageDown, you can click on your hand at the right part of the screen and set the type of attack and than use Space or Enter to attack.

Be aware that you can escape some duels if you click on the edge of the screen and tell Conan to escape the fight. When he leaves the enemy will stand near you but the fight won't start so you can use mouse click to run away (since Conan is much much more faster when controled by mouse than by keyboard)

thebes 04-07-2007 01:47 AM

My brother finished this game. He was always the RPG guy while I was more a wargammer. He liked it pretty well for a Virgin game.

Guest 08-07-2007 04:44 AM

I hated this game, it sucked, I got stuck on the city (physically stuck, not stuck in the game plot) MANY times in a row, needing many times to restart, also I do not managed to find the damned red dog tavern, since after re-starting the game about 12 times by getting stuck and about 7 by getting killled by a knife bearer thug, I plainly resigned, specially after I learned how to flee, and the "flee" code made me teleport to a roof (really, I got teleported to a roof)

Naito_Jester 08-07-2007 01:08 PM

It does take some getting used to.
At the moment, I can't seem to be able to defeat the Stygian Sorcerer in the City of Skulls. Can anyone help? :sos:

Office_Monk 11-07-2007 11:09 AM

Hm, XP won't start it and dosbox also spits out the game :huh: :sos: :crybaby:

The Fifth Horseman 11-07-2007 12:48 PM

Sound config?

Office_Monk 11-07-2007 01:25 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jul 11 2007, 02:48 PM) [snapback]298952[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Sound config?
[/b]
Same as every other dosbox game:
SB:
SB16 220 7 1 5

GUS
240 7 1 1

other options standard

The Fifth Horseman 11-07-2007 02:01 PM

How about the game's own config utility? (I don't remember if it has one)

If it's not that, see about disabling the MPU-401 emulation.

Should that also fail, change Core to normal in dosbox.conf.

Office_Monk 11-07-2007 02:38 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jul 11 2007, 04:01 PM) [snapback]298957[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

How about the game's own config utility? (I don't remember if it has one)

If it's not that, see about disabling the MPU-401 emulation.

Should that also fail, change Core to normal in dosbox.conf.
[/b]
No config utility. Tried your solutions; no result...

Japo 11-07-2007 02:54 PM

This game works in DOSBox 0.70 with the default configuration. According to the DOSBox site it worked with previous versions as well.

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?showID=1311

There is a config utility in the game called INSTALL.EXE. It will detect a VGA card and ask you for sound driver, you should select Adlib (SB compatible). (BTW uploading the games uploaded already configured would save this hassles.)

Office_Monk 11-07-2007 03:14 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Japofran @ Jul 11 2007, 04:54 PM) [snapback]298971[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

This game works in DOSBox 0.70 with the default configuration. According to the DOSBox site it worked with previous versions as well.

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?showID=1311

There is a config utility in the game called INSTALL.EXE. It will detect a VGA card and ask you for sound driver, you should select Adlib (SB compatible). (BTW uploading the games uploaded already configured would save this hassles.)
[/b]
OK, the game has INSTALL.EXE, but all I can choose is: keyboard only, joystick or mouse... :hairpull:

Edit; redownloaded the game, problem solved...

Anonymus Coward 22-07-2007 03:16 PM

I made it into Thoth Amon's Palace. However, I get stuck after finding the green key. I unlocked the green door, killed the mummy, killed the priest. Now I can only enter a secret room through a carpet on the wall in one room (leads to a maze?) or face an unkillable iron demon in another room.

Anyone else stuck here? Solutions are welcome...

Milton 22-07-2007 05:43 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Naito_Jester @ Jul 8 2007, 03:08 PM) [snapback]298487[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

It does take some getting used to.
At the moment, I can't seem to be able to defeat the Stygian Sorcerer in the City of Skulls. Can anyone help? :sos:
[/b]
You'll need a staff. Enter the room with the Stygian sorcerer and wait until he's about halfway the screen. Then click on Conan, use the staff and enjoy!

Cheers,
Milton

Jine 29-07-2007 04:58 AM

How to avoid being sucked by the metal monolith?? I explored the forest ruin end up grabbing 2 sword and left 1 copper door which is unable to unlock. there just seems no way to avoid the metal monolith or it does?

The Fifth Horseman 30-07-2007 12:08 PM

IIRC:
The monolith is magnetic and draws metal to it, hence you cannot have metal on you.
Drop any metal items (weapons etc) on the ground before approaching the monolith area.
You will need to have the Obsidian Sword, since it's the only weapon not made of metal.

jackstone 30-08-2007 12:44 PM

after playing the for a bit, whenever I try to loot a body, I never find anything of value. I even got to a place where I killed this guy(the grey guard- he looks just like a thug, only... gray) and I think I needed to get some key from him, but I still got the " conan finds nothing of value" msg.
is this a bug or just bad luck?
and, has this happend to anyone else?

some guy 30-08-2007 03:25 PM

Does anybody know how to kill the undead king?

marko river 04-09-2007 08:49 AM

OK, "here's goes" :D

whoever wants to beat game without hints shouldn't read this post!!!!!!!!!!!

@Guest that hated this game:
It is my personal oppinion but i think you should try it again, only in Shadizar you should get yourself into it in order to learn some paths in the city. It is not that hard after a while althoguh even when constantly playing this game I can't always find some locations without a minute of search. There some puzzles and side quests and I think game is well worth several hours of playing.

@Naito Jester
Well it is unclear what to do but as Milton said (and as it is written on that piece of paper) staff in hole... I'm not sure, it probably says that staff in hole opens pit or something. Well, you need to buy ordinary staff (do not use staff of power as it has slightly different usage :D) and using staff on that screen will result in Conan puting the staff in that hole beside him. That will open pit ant the center of the screen (there is some white stone block at the center). So, if you don do this when priest is in the middle of screen you're dead.

@Anonymus Coward
Iron demon in Toth Amon's palace is really unkillable. If my memory is correct, he is in the room wtith three doors. That means that there is three ways to get into that room and you should consider it as dead end - wich it really is. You have to avoid that room, so maze is only way left for you I guess :D

@Jine
As horseman told you metal things are pulled toward monolith, so you haveto drop your items and have obsidian sword (some sort of wood i guess). Now, where would you drop your inventory. Well, it wouldn't be wise to drop it anywhere because they might dissappear. I'm not sure that houses, taverns or similar locations are safe ebough, but pit of Skeleton king surely is. So, get to place where you destroyed Skeleton king and drop all your items there.

@Jackstone
No, it's not bad luck actually but only some bodies are useful for looting. Naturally, regular enemies won't have anything, but some special persons. If I'm not mistaken, only two bodies will have something useful. For now, I won't tell you which ones, but you'll figure out.

@Some guy
Undead king or Skeleton king (i'm not sure anymore) is killed using flint and steel. When entering his tomb you'll notice on the first location that there is a pile of wood and other junk in the middle of the screnn. proceed to the next screen, wait for the king to start approaching you go back to previous screen and beside the pile. Wait for the king to get near the pile and use Flint & steel to start a fire. Undead king is dead now :)

The Fifth Horseman 04-09-2007 10:39 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marko_river @ Sep 4 2007, 10:49 AM) [snapback]308723[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

some sort of wood i guess[/b]
Actually, it's volcanic glass. Wikipedia article.

UTunnels 16-09-2007 01:13 PM

Does anybody notice, the BGMs are not as good as those of amiga version? Maybe that is a sound card problem? I love the amiga version, but it runs slowly on an emulator.

You can dash in dos version, by pressing the mouse button quickly enough, that allows you to avoid many enemies(sounds like a bug), but you can get stuck easily in dos version(run into a wall or something).

marko river 28-09-2007 09:10 AM

You have to be a little careful since there is only one slot for saving. You can for example save in the pit where you need to use the rope. Well, if you don't have the rope you must load and go back to town to buy one, but you can also save although you don't have rope and.... start over, i guess....

PleaseMYOB 25-04-2008 08:38 PM

Map of Shadizar

I have the original game box, so I scanned the map that comes with it, and it's hosted HERE.

sigma 14-09-2008 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PleaseMYOB (Post 324382)
I have the original game box, so I scanned the map that comes with it, and it's hosted HERE.

Thanks a lot! I kept getting lost...

Um, here's some help to those who can't figure out the commands (I couldn't so I had to figure this all out for myself):

To pause, click the small red button on the top right. To view the menu, press F1 or click the small blue button on the top left. Take note: there is only ONE game save slot so be careful!

On biggest view, press A and click the city you want to get to.

In a city, you can use the mouse to move (LMB to go where you click, hold RMB to keep moving) or the keyboard (arrow keys). To use or examine an object of your inventory, choose your fighting style, or drop something, press A or click the fist on the right (or just click Conan). To see your current status, press S or click the face on the right (the fighting style with a * before it is your currently selected fighting style). To view your inventory, press D or click the backpack on the right. To enter a building, get as close to the door as you can and either go into it with the up arrow key or right-click the door (can be tricky). To interact with a character, bump into them and a menu will show up. Some characters just stand still or walk around, but beware: those that follow you want to mug you and a fight will start as soon as you touch them (i.e. if your stamina is low run away from those!).

In a building or during a fight, you switch to side view. It's easiest to use just the keyboard then, but you can still use the mouse if you like. Use the left and right arrow keys (or hold the RMB and move it to where you want to go) to move. To unsheath your sword, use the down arrow key (sorry mouse lovers, there's no other way). To attack (be sure you've selected the correct fighting style, but you can change that during the battle by pressing A) use the up arrow key or LMB on your enemy. Be sure to search (LMB) the bodies of those you kill, they may have things you need in their pockets (like maps, money or keys). To search a room, click every object the might conceal something (including all pots, boxes, crates, barrels, stools, horns, carpets, et cetera) and an object might appear at your feet. To pick it up, just click it. Be careful: if your stealth is below 70%, valuable items (like gemstones, teleport spells and lotuses) you pick up might make a noise and attract passing guards. If this happens you'll go to jail and lose all your "hard-earned" money.

For a start, don't do any difficult quests right away. Rob all houses in sight, train as much as possible, spend wisely, sell all gems and precious things you find (EXCEPT YOUR SWORD AND THE JADE KEY!!!), and keep all the maps you get (selling them isn't worth it). Once you're learned Thrust, a good place to start is the Underground, but first go to the Temple of Adonis, the priest on duty will give you a map.

Enjoy!

What? 24-03-2009 11:19 PM

When I try to run start.exe in DOSBox, it just gives me the message, "GAME.CFG not found, please change disks." Help!

marko river 24-03-2009 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by What? (Post 357557)
When I try to run start.exe in DOSBox, it just gives me the message, "GAME.CFG not found, please change disks." Help!

Ermmmm..... try using conan.exe instead..???

Also, make sure you start install.exe first and set up sound card... Also, game without sound should work even in XP without using dosbox... tested it personally...

What? 26-03-2009 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko_river (Post 357558)
Ermmmm..... try using conan.exe instead..???

Also, make sure you start install.exe first and set up sound card... Also, game without sound should work even in XP without using dosbox... tested it personally...

Thanks for the advice, but no cigar. When I first downloaded the game I started it without dosbox, but it had a very low brightness, making the dark dungeon levels impossible to get through.

I just tried using conan.exe in dosbox, but another error came up- "Illegal command - install." When I tried running install.exe, doxbox came up with a blue window saying, "SYSTEM: No such file or directory.
GAME.CFG"

Also just tried another game, Albion. Same errors pop up when I try running that game in doxbox. Could this be an error with dosbox, and not the games?

dosraider 26-03-2009 05:08 AM

The game is pre-installed to run in dosbox.
Do not run install or it will screw up the config.
Delete the folder, and start over from scratch.

red_avatar 26-03-2009 05:24 AM

Yes, very few games on Abandonia need to be installed before playing. This is because most games require setting up and since a lot of people don't understand soundcard settings, it makes it easier to set up a game to work with DOSBox out of the box so to speak when it's already pre-installed. Redownload and just run the game itself without running install.

What? 27-03-2009 12:15 AM

What?

That did the trick. Thanks!

pailhead 04-09-2009 01:58 PM

When i started the game without running install.exe i had no sound. After running install.exe i chose adlib, and it slows down during intro sequence. I havent tried playing yet, but what is the proper way to run it in dosbox?

Also, can you copy save.dat in win while playing and thus make multiple saves?

Luchsen 04-09-2009 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the DOSBox readme
Q: The game/application runs much too slow!
A: Look at the section "How to run resource-demanding games" for more information.

So, do that or just use Ctrl+F12. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pailhead (Post 381870)
Also, can you copy save.dat in win while playing and thus make multiple saves?

Sure. :)

guest 11-09-2009 10:53 AM

Where is the Scroll of Skelos?

Hi!

I've entered the sriptorium and killed two spiders in there. I found a room with a fire and another way through a hole in the wall. Then I got to a room with a big door. When I enter this door, I'm outside the scriptorium andoutside Larsha. Is this a bug?

RRS 21-09-2009 04:14 PM

How did you manage to enter Scriptorium? That iron demon is stalking me, so I can't unlock the door with a key I have. No magical item in my possesion can kill him...

Well, I did enter Scriptorium by "anticipating plot" - by this I mean I went there before taking ring and obtaining this quest. Maybe you did the same and that's why there's a bug?

guest 21-09-2009 08:36 PM

How to catch an iron demon

I first took that ring and obtained the next quest. Then this iron demon was chasing me everywhere I walked to, so I tried everything and finally get to the jungle town where I died on this magnetic stone. After loading again, I droped ALL of my Items in a temple in the town and went to the demon. Now I went to the jungle town without any item and now only the demon was captured by this stone. So I could walk safely to the temple, take my items and then went to the scriptorium.

I did everything in the right order, but then came this bug!

Could you pass the scriptorium through this new door or did you found this scroll somewhere in the rooms before this door?

RRS 22-09-2009 07:26 PM

Thanks for the tip! It simply didn't cross my mind that he can travel with me out of the Larsha "level"!. That did the trick and the rest was a milk run: went inside Scriptorium, then to next room, then killed a spider, then went through a hole, another spider, "Prince of Persia" gate in another room, and a Lizard guy in a library which contained the scroll.

And BTW: why don't you join our forum by registering? hey, it's free :)

I'm almost done but I got stuck in a nasty labirynth - dang, I need to reload and start again :/
EDIT: I made it through the maze (wow!), but Thoth Amon uses me as a punching bag... no magical item harms him and leading him out is again a problem (ranged attacks)...

fossie94 24-09-2009 06:32 PM

Ok, now I've joint the forum. :3:

I also didn't realize that this demon will follow me. When he first killed me (in larsha) i loaded again and tried to walk to another place. Then suddenly the demon apeared there and so I get to know this. In fact, it was only luck, that I found the solution to this quest.

In the scriptorium I found this "Prince of Persia" gate, but when I walk through this gate, I'm back on the worldmap. So it must be a bug!:rant:

I think I have to play the whole game again!

RRS 24-09-2009 09:05 PM

Where does your copy of the game come from? I found mine at abandonia and it works fine. If you found it here, the only thing I could help is by sending you my savegame (yes, I resorted to "savescumming" as the game has too many silly ways to kill Conan, sometimes without warning).

RRS 29-09-2009 04:08 PM

LOL, oh irony: as I finished the game, I've learned that there was CD re-relase with CD-audio and speech!

To make things worse, I even managed to find in "on teh internets". Yay! ...? No so.

The guy who ripped it made ...an iso. Goodbye audio tracks. What makes this even worse, looks like the speech was also as redbook audio, at least it's missing from the iso. But he left some demos on, how great! It's essentially the same game as floppy version if you turn subtitles on...

fossie94 05-10-2009 07:19 PM

Thanks for your offer,

but I've started a new game and now I could go through the scriptorium and found the book of skelos. Now I'm in the palace of Toth Amon and I've got a new problem:

I found the black key, the brown key and the green key. Then I found the secret passage behind the wall. But now I am in a room with a large wooden door in the middle. I could go to both sides and through the door, but I always return to this room and can't go anywhere else!

Is this another bug??? I suppose behind the door must be the throneroom, but i can't enter it! *aaargh*

fossie94 05-10-2009 07:32 PM

Ah!

I found out that the maze is a little bit tricky, but now I managed it. Sadly, I've forgotten my freeze amulett and the living statue killed me, but tomorrow I will try again!

RRS 06-10-2009 05:56 AM

Abandonia is missing the cluebook, which is available from replacementdocs.
I found the way out of maze myself using the "breadcrumb strategy" (remember the children who got lost in the forest?).

Newbie1 18-12-2009 06:21 AM

Thoth Amon

Is it possible to kill Thoth Amon? The fortune teller says that you have to break his heart to kill him. I go to the next room where his heart is in a jar, but I can't damage it! Is there anything special I need to do??!

Oh, for those of you getting stuck in the maze, the sequence is Center, Right, Center, Left

dioangel 01-01-2010 02:23 AM

by Crom! I would like to thank someone for uploading this fantastic game! I have a trouble.. I'm having a hard time on attacking! I tried to use the sword and clicking on the guy to fight but nothing happen! :doh: What are the key commands on fighting?

marko river 01-01-2010 04:19 AM

Press Page Down to take out your sword. Then.. I can't remember correctly, Space or Enter is for attacking

As for the rest of players getting stuck, I played and finished entire game and this is the same working archive. Game does get tricky, but that is the point, you have to use your brain or investigate to find the solution. Personally, I accidentally discovered few things :)

Hint - solution

Geezer 05-03-2010 02:05 PM

Shouldn't maps and the like be linked to the main game page instead of the boxshots section?

Luchsen 06-03-2010 01:14 PM

Not instead but as well.

DonaldRennie 20-06-2013 09:24 PM

No Sound

I've spent a couple of hours search at Bing.com for solutions for solving my problem with the sound and have tried several different things. I'm using D-Fend Reloaded. The game starts with no sound. My MIDI device is "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth". I'm using Windows 7. Also - I can't get past the "map". I click on one of 2 cities and can't get past that screen.

DuggieFresh5 19-03-2016 06:57 PM

Combat Strategy

Quote:

Originally Posted by some guy (Post 288204)
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(C @ Jun 23 2007, 04:57 PM) [snapback]295971[/snapback]</div>

drow your sword with 2 on the keypad and then use 9,8 or 7 to attack.

It is also a Rock, Paper, Scissors system. Enemies tend to be more vulnerable to one of the 3 styles of swing.

The current time is 03:36 PM (GMT)