Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Tech Corner (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Some Things About Oldschool Modding... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=10750)

The Fifth Horseman 19-06-2006 12:20 PM

OK, so I have a few things I need to ask about in regards to modifying my oldschool machine:

1. I have a free (very huge) radiator heatsink from Sempron 2500. Could I use it (after cutting where needed to fit the mobo) on an oldschool P120 without fan and not risk overheating in process?

2. How could I reduce the noise generated by that same machine's PSU? Frankly, its currently the loudest component in the entire PC, and is plainly annoying.

3. I found out that connecting the fans (the old two-cable ones) to 12V rather then 5V increases their RPM and thus prevents some startup problems that occured before. However, that also increases the noise produced. Is there something I could do to have precise control over the voltage feed going to them?

And a side q... that one's freaky, I know...
Digging through my stuff I accidentally uncovered a Samsung AT-standard keyboard in ideal shape. Bought about three years ago or so, used maybe for a year. Cleaned all the dirt that stuck to it.
Now... I have this weird idea about modding ^_^ that keyboard :
-Sanding down irregularities on the top panel (what grit sandpaper would be neccesary?)
-Spray-painting the whole thing black
-Hand-painting the letters and whatnot on the buttons... in a gothic font.
Also, I thought about unsoldering the LED's from the keyboard's PCB and soldering in some of a different color (red, yellow, orange... blue?) - they are all standard 12-V LED's you can buy in any electronics store for about 0,25$ or even less.
So... what do you you think of that idea? Good, bad or just plain outlandish?

guesst 19-06-2006 03:26 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jun 19 2006, 12:20 PM) [snapback]237776[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

And a side q... that one's freaky, I know...
Digging through my stuff I accidentally uncovered a Samsung AT-standard keyboard in ideal shape. Bought about three years ago or so, used maybe for a year. Cleaned all the dirt that stuck to it.
Now... I have this weird idea about modding ^_^ that keyboard :
-Sanding down irregularities on the top panel (what grit sandpaper would be neccesary?)
-Spray-painting the whole thing black
-Hand-painting the letters and whatnot on the buttons... in a gothic font.
Also, I thought about unsoldering the LED's from the keyboard's PCB and soldering in some of a different color (red, yellow, orange... blue?) - they are all standard 12-V LED's you can buy in any electronics store for about 0,25$ or even less.
So... what do you you think of that idea? Good, bad or just plain outlandish?
[/b]
I like the idea of modding the keyboard. It'd be way cool to do the letters, instead of some gothic font, in some inreadable script. I mean, you know where the letters are or should be. Make up some strange language.

_r.u.s.s. 19-06-2006 03:44 PM

heh, my friend swapped ctrl, shift, alt, menu selection and win key on his keyboard. you can't imagine how funny it was to watch his mum smashing to keyboard =)

The Fifth Horseman 19-06-2006 05:34 PM

I sometimes have trouble with the key positions, though.

_r.u.s.s. 19-06-2006 06:31 PM

which buttons? o_O

The Fifth Horseman 20-06-2006 10:19 AM

Keys, buttons... whatever. The same thing.

The current time is 09:36 AM (GMT)