Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Blah, blah, blah... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   War In Iraq (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=14041)

Havell 19-04-2007 06:55 PM

This thread is for the continuation of the debate about the Iraq War that sprung up from the thread about the Virginia shootings.

Don't be afraid to quote posts from the other thread in here, use copy + paste and the quote button (looks like a speech bubble, second from the right above where you write your posts).

TheChosen 20-04-2007 06:04 AM

Altought I said that "casualties always happen", it doesnt mean that I dont care about the civilians or that I support the acts of war.

I dont understand two things: Why are they still hanging in there and WHY did they go to there in the first place (The USA I mean). First they invaded in Afganistan and they were just an inch away to get the (possible) man behind the9/11, the Osama Bin Laden, when they suddenly tought, "Well, now that were in middle-east, why dont we go kick Hussein's behind!". Talk about a bad case of mis-prioritasing.

Icewolf 20-04-2007 08:11 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheChosen @ Apr 20 2007, 07:04 AM) [snapback]287616[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

[...]when they suddenly tought, "Well, now that were in middle-east, why dont we go kick Hussein's behind!".[/b]
I still think George W. sort of inherited that from his father. USA failed at vietnam, USA failed at EDIT: Golf War II. :whistling:
And the UN took their lollipop away and raised the finger. Now they (USA) are defiant and upset like a little girl and do stuff nobody likes.

BAM!

Comment please.

TheChosen 20-04-2007 09:18 AM

Off-topic. This is somewhat funny.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Icewolf @ Apr 20 2007, 07:11 AM) [snapback]287627[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

USA failed at Golf War I.[/b]

Icewolf 20-04-2007 09:45 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheChosen @ Apr 20 2007, 10:18 AM) [snapback]287645[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Off-topic. This is somewhat funny.<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Icewolf @ Apr 20 2007, 07:11 AM) [snapback]287627[/snapback]
Quote:

USA failed at Golf War I.[/b]
[/b][/quote]What's with that? Am I ... like ... wrong? :huh: Though I had to take a little correction... :rolleyes:

TheChosen 20-04-2007 11:24 AM

Its Gulf War, not Golf War.

Icewolf 20-04-2007 12:07 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheChosen @ Apr 20 2007, 12:24 PM) [snapback]287666[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Its Gulf War, not Golf War.[/b]
Oh, that's a usual Germish-problem. In german gulf is golf. Which is a VW-car and a sport as well. ^_^

_r.u.s.s. 20-04-2007 01:24 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheChosen @ Apr 20 2007, 07:04 AM) [snapback]287616[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

I dont understand two things: Why are they still hanging in there and WHY did they go to there in the first place (The USA I mean)
[/b]
http://www.krysstal.com/democracy_whyusa_iraq.html

Icewolf 20-04-2007 01:56 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(_r.u.s.s. @ Apr 20 2007, 02:24 PM) [snapback]287696[/snapback]</div>Uhh, that's almost underground stuff.... :ph34r:

Sebatianos 20-04-2007 05:33 PM

USA in Iraq... I said it quite some time ago when Anubis and Stroggy were talking about the situation between Israel and Palestine. It's simple - USA want's to have a foothole in the middle east, so they can have an influence over the oil reserves and the only way they can have an influence there is by having their armed forces in the region. That's why they kept supporting Israel, that's why they got involved in the Iran - Iraq war (although they also wanted to support anybody who was anti-Iran at that point and thus they put Saddam into the leared's chair of Iraq in the first place) and that's why they started both Gulf Wars, not to mention the hostility with Syria - so if they pull out of Iraq they will still be present in the middle east.

USA is on a verge of major crises. Most people are in depts for at least half of their lives before they get an education and when they get a career and start paying the depts off they have to get in more depts to sort their lives - so if they're lucky they won't have to leave any depts for their children. With such an economy the only thing that still keeps US strong at this point is the Military. If US had no military its status of a world wide superpower would colapse. They would still be an importaint player on world political scene - but not the superpower. It has happened to many other empires/kingdoms/countries in the past.

But by going to war at places where an oportunity for profit occurs the US can still give boots to its economy and can prolong the outbreak of the crises. The thing is its military was based on countering the Soviet Millitary, but the Soviets are no more and there's no need for such a large military machine as the US has, so it's obsolete and money consuming - and it would be completely pointless and useless unleas it's put to action under one pretence or another that keeps the US citizens satisfied.

The real question is, what will happen next?

There are countries that are weak and can't really strike back at the US, but countries like North Korea or Iran might be a different story. Russia has sold air defence systems to Iran when a possibility of an US preliminary strike against Iran became a possibility. So is Russia really going to stand by if US attacks Iran? China is still a big supporter of N. Korea (which might itself already have nuclear capatibilities) so it's an opponent that might cause damage to the US. Attacking either one might not be safe and the only advantage US had over Europe in the 20th century was the fact they haven't had any wars on their theritory. Europe was devistated by two world wars and US was able to gain great economical advantages over Europe because it was spare such a devistation. If Us gets involved in a war with a country that can strike back (and I don't mean killing some US soldiers in the middle east or somewhere, but a country that could counterstrike and send forces into the US) what would happen? Would US still exist? Would the union collapse or would it possibly make it stronger? Is the first world democracy already so obsolete that it should be shaken untill all the balast falls away or is it still a superpower which can turn a new page?

The current time is 02:22 PM (GMT)