Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Star Trek: Judgment Rites - Problems (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=28852)

sfc3 04-08-2012 12:56 PM

Star Trek: Judgment Rites - Problems

I recently dug out my STJR: Limited Collector's Edition, and I am trying to install it. I remember trying to do it before, but how do I install from CD with DOSBOX again?

Also a problem I had was I couldn't fix sound on the game. What do I do?

Also, yes I am talented in using DOSBox.

The Fifth Horseman 04-08-2012 01:56 PM

1. You need to mount a directory on your HDD as DOSBox drive C and your optical drive as the D drive (different letters would probably work fine, but some games might have issues with that).
Alternatively, instead of mounting your CD drive you could dump an image to your hard drive using an appropriate tool - CloneCD for example - and use that image with IMGMOUNT. This has some advantages in terms of both convenience and performance (albeit rather slight).
Whichever you chose, after that you follow the normal installation procedure you'd use on a real DOS machine.
2. You need to configure the sound card in the game's options. Sound Blaster (preferably 16, else if that's not available Pro 2, else - Pro, else - "plain" ). If no Sound Blaster option is available, select Adlib. If the setup requests any other parameters: IRQ 7, DMA 1, Address 220.

sfc3 04-08-2012 03:39 PM

Ok, I mounted the CD with DOSBOX. Once I got to Install, it won't install to C:/INTRPLAY/TREK2. I'm not sure what i've done wrong.
Specifically, it says "Unable to Create specified directory".

The Fifth Horseman 04-08-2012 04:25 PM

What have you mounted as your C drive? Do you have full read and write permissions over that directory? Is the directory set to read-only?
You might want to try creating that directory manually and see if that helps.

Japo 04-08-2012 08:11 PM

Have you mounted your CD as C: drive in DOSBox? What Horseman said is that you should mount your CD as D: (with the "-t cdrom" parameter), as well as a location in your hard drive as C:. You can mount more than one drive in DOSBox, and in this case you need to. Like for example:

Code:

mount c "c:\users\me\dos"
mount d "e:\" -t cdrom

sfc3 05-08-2012 01:15 PM

Thanks for the help. Everything works. Although, the problem is during speech scenes, it's kinda choppy and laggy. How do I fix this?

The Fifth Horseman 05-08-2012 03:03 PM

Set core to dynamic, cycles to about 12000, cycleup and cycledown to 1000 . Then adjust until you find the right amount of cycles for the game to run currectly.

Also, you can try setting block size to 4096 and prebuffer to 30 as was once suggested by Data in response to a similar question.

sfc3 05-08-2012 03:06 PM

Where do I go to change the DOSBOX settings, exactly?
Also the game is having a fit now, it can't find FED.VCC.

The Fifth Horseman 06-08-2012 07:14 AM

Start Menu > DOSBox 0.74 > Options > DOSBox 0.74 Options . This shortcut really just opens up the default dosbox.conf for editing

sfc3 06-08-2012 12:46 PM

Thanks, it's much smoother. But I had to reinstall, for somereason some (or all of the VCC files) were missing and I had to reinstall it. I'm trying to see if it happens again.

EDIT: Ok, it only works after I install it. How do I fix this?

The current time is 12:50 AM (GMT)