Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   High Seas Trader (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=771)

Kosta 09-09-2004 03:02 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Havell 09-09-2004 06:22 PM

How do do you get places fast on this game? Do you have to hire a helmsman?

The Niles 09-09-2004 06:58 PM

I played this a long time ago but could not figure out how to rise to the higher levels. It did not let me do that even though I had all the requirements.

Havell 09-09-2004 07:00 PM

I mean can you get your ship to follow waypoints, or do you have to always steer it yourself.

The Niles 09-09-2004 07:01 PM

I really don't remember.

Gilato 10-09-2004 05:06 AM

I think it said in the review that you can hire a helmsman to steer for you.

cosmogreen32 10-09-2004 10:23 AM

You hire a helmsman in charthouse (button in the bottom left). Then you sail out of the port, enter cabin, view map, lay in course, go back on deck and click button above small map. As for higher ranks, apart from good stats, sometimes you're also required to have estate.
I've been playing this games for past week and I've seen all this game has to offer. Although you can advance in ranks (you must if you want to buy better ship), there's not much to do except trading. Fights are often frustrating and missions aren't interesting or profitable. You cannot affect politics or attack any port (they disappear along with land once you enter attack mode). This has to be the only game where you loose money by investing it in bank! The game is not so bad, ie. graphics are nice and you get to sail around the world, but after a while you realise there's no strategy involved. It starts out great, but there're no new options as you gain profit. All you do is compare prices and fight pirates.

Latharn 12-09-2004 05:23 AM

i notice this game has a little boot disk icon at the bottom, when i click the icon I am taken to an app that wont work on ntfs. Is ther an other option?
I would be looking to run it on dos box and would really love to play this classic again i use to love it.

thanks for your thoughts

Napalm Eddie 30-09-2004 03:55 PM

:ok: I'm enjoying this game quite a bit. I don't like how you get jumped by random ships constantly. I have managed to figure out how to target the ships faily well and can blow them away before they get me.

I'm running it from DOSBox myself and it works great. Didn't have to do anything extra. (Which is VERY rare whenever I install new-old games)

Docpowell 11-10-2004 04:55 PM

A goodhelmsman avoids sandbars and storms, very very important.
Waypoints and Autosail make it alot easier, you only have to reclick auto after your helmsman warns you of a storm or after you get into a battle (Opening gunports)
Getting good stats require bigger ships, going to different ports and farther apart, owning an estate and valuable art collections, Helping out secret agents of your own country (That boosts loyalty rating), and not moving anyone with questionable cargo.
attacking enemy ships during wartime also boosts loyalty rating. Hope some of this helps if its too obvious my apologys
Doc

The current time is 11:35 AM (GMT)