Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Forgotten Games Bureau (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Old Alien Breeding / Feeding Game (Shareware) (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=30472)

Klangfarben 23-05-2013 06:58 PM

Old Alien Breeding / Feeding Game (Shareware)

Good evening.

I`m searching for a long time now a game, which i had on a magazine CD in the 1995`s (i think it was on the 3/95 PC Player magazine CD).

The game was in an top-down or isometric graphic style and had a comic like style, also i`m sure it was a shareware. You were able to choose from different alien races at the beginning and there were different stats which made every alien race more friendly or evil or flesh eaters or vegetarians and so on. In the game you had to eat from some plants, if not you could die from hunger. Also you were able to make love with other aliens from your species to let give birth. Other species were also around and you had to be careful not to be killed (accept you were a strong flesh eater or so).

I searched MobyGames for many hours but never find the game again. Also other sites couldn`t help me. That`s why this is the only infos i can give. Maybe someone else played this game in the past and knows which game it was. Thank you in advance.

Eagle of Fire 24-05-2013 04:45 AM

Sounds like the Creatures series.

RRS 29-05-2013 07:42 AM

No, because 1) it was side-scrolling 2) you only had Norns

For a moment I thought about Genewars, but I'm sure it's something else.

Smiling Spectre 31-05-2013 11:44 AM

One of SimCity offspring looks somewhat like that. SimEarth, to be exact.

Hmm, actually, it is different game. Strange... Ah! I mistake it as Evolution!

It also means that I always overlooked SimEarth, thinking that it's this obscure title above. %) Worth to research...

(Found also SimLife in the process. It can't be Spore, right?)

Klangfarben 01-06-2013 10:24 PM

First, thanks for the tips.

No, it`s neither Creatures, Evolution nor SimLife (or else) nor Spore.
Spore do i have with Expansion Pack and no this is too new. Evolution is also too new.

Dunno, if i would have the Magazine-CD i could look under the shareware section. I think without any picture or other hints it will be very difficult to find this game, but since i`m searching for it for the last 3 years, time doesn`t matter anymore. ::3:

Megaten 02-06-2013 09:17 AM

I'd like to confirm a couple things with you:

1. Does the player directly control a single member of their chosen alien species, a group of them like an RTS, or was it more of a hands-off Sim/God game where you play with sliders and input numbers to enact more indirect change?

2. You say the game was "shareware", but that term is usually associated with games in an episodic/split format. Do you recall if the game was broken up like that, or if it was simply labeled "shareware" by the magazine?

I'm going to make the hopefully safe assumption that the PC Player publication you are referring to is the German one. While poking around, I found a tidy little fanpage, as well as a nice archive of scans. Based on my own analysis, it seems that the magazine didn't have the "Plus" disks until October 1994, and the contents are usually listed somewhere in the magazine, but between my inability to read German and the messy nature of the text-recognition software that was used when scanning the text of the magazines, I didn't make any real progress in finding which of the CDs it could have been. I'm not sure of anywhere to find disc images of the CDs, either.

I am intrigued by stuff I can't find any information on, like whatever "Locopani" is, but I've got too many tabs open and too much stuff I've been doing to indulge myself for long without further clear details. Sorry.

Oh, I guess I should also ask - can you remember if the game was localized to your language? (I assume German)

Klangfarben 08-07-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megaten (Post 453252)
I'd like to confirm a couple things with you:

1. Does the player directly control a single member of their chosen alien species, a group of them like an RTS, or was it more of a hands-off Sim/God game where you play with sliders and input numbers to enact more indirect change?

2. You say the game was "shareware", but that term is usually associated with games in an episodic/split format. Do you recall if the game was broken up like that, or if it was simply labeled "shareware" by the magazine?

I'm going to make the hopefully safe assumption that the PC Player publication you are referring to is the German one. While poking around, I found a tidy little fanpage, as well as a nice archive of scans. Based on my own analysis, it seems that the magazine didn't have the "Plus" disks until October 1994, and the contents are usually listed somewhere in the magazine, but between my inability to read German and the messy nature of the text-recognition software that was used when scanning the text of the magazines, I didn't make any real progress in finding which of the CDs it could have been. I'm not sure of anywhere to find disc images of the CDs, either.

I am intrigued by stuff I can't find any information on, like whatever "Locopani" is, but I've got too many tabs open and too much stuff I've been doing to indulge myself for long without further clear details. Sorry.

Oh, I guess I should also ask - can you remember if the game was localized to your language? (I assume German)

Sorry for the late response.

1. As i remember i were controlling 1 creature with that i was eating, fighting and pairing (with others from same species).

2. I know it was in the Shareware section on the CD. I don`t know if it was an episodic game or so, but i don`t think so.

Yeah, PC Player was a german magazine and i know that there is a fan site and so on. But it wasn`t really informatic with the content of the CD`s.
What i now know is, that it must be in a magazine or on a CD of 1995. The CD itself was yellow printed or had a yellow backround print with black letters.

I dunno for sure if the game was in german language, but i don`t think so. But that`s a hard question.

Phoenix1984 17-11-2013 02:22 PM

Hmm, it like that you mean PC Action, but CD has light green print.
http://www.pcgamesdatabase.de/gameso....php?tmpx=1995 there you can look about games in 1995.
Here is a picture of CD to see if you mean this CD
http://www.freaks-on-sofa.org/wp-con...on-Demo-CD.png

The current time is 09:12 PM (GMT)