Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Music, Art, Movies (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Pro Wrestling: Old Vs. New (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=27868)

SpiDoL 18-09-2011 10:06 PM

Pro Wrestling: Old Vs. New

If you're a fan (or should I say, have been) of pro wrestling, tell me: which time period of it are you the biggest fan of?

Are you fond of the good old days of Hulk Hogan and "Macho Man" Randy Savage?
Or are you more in tune with the new age of John Cena and Randy Orton?

For me, I'm definitely with the Legends. I grew up watching those guys duke it out, plus it was the time when everything was fun and original, hence why it's called the "Golden Age" of wrestling.

TheChosen 19-09-2011 01:49 AM

So is wrestling considered art?

As far as I know, I've been the only wrestling fan around here (with the exception of he-who-must-not-be-named, and that annoying kid punch999), or at least only one who showed his love to wrestling. Not so much as I used to, but I still occasionally check to see how things are going in the world of squared circles.

I started watching back at 2005, after learning to love Smackdown 2 video game on Playstation. It was the WWE programming of course and damn was it awesome for the first times. Then I learned it was pretty much scripted, learned about other wrestling promotions, got into insider stuff....still enjoyed it somewhat, but the love was tainted. I was a fan for 2 or 3 years, then I stopped. Still though, If someone would say "Wanna watch Pro Wrestling", I say "Sure!".

As for If old stuff is better than new, I cant really decide. Its not like there ever was a time when wrestling was perfect, flawless entertainment. Your favorite era is usually the time you start watching it.

What Im saying is, there was stuff like this and this back in the day. There might be some stupid stuff today, but there has always been stupid stuff in wrestling

DarthHelmet86 19-09-2011 09:05 AM

I am tempted to move this to Blahx3 but I think this forum is better, Wrestling is a TV Show and I would argue that this forum should be about Music, Art, Movies and TV.

Anyway your two time groups are a bit odd, the Attitude Era which many think of as the best time in wrestling was 95 to 01 fitting into both of your poll options there. Personally there is no Golden Age of wrestling it is just as good now as the early nineties and a lot of the time just as bad. The problem with Wrestling today is the old wrestlers not moving on, Hogan, Flair and Bischoff are smashing TNA into the ground and Russo is still finding work somehow. The PG era of WWE might not be as gory and blood filled as the Attitude Era but most of the wrestling is just as good if not better. People like Miz, Bourne, Punk and a few others are some of the best wrestlers I have ever seen.

And you don't ever want to get me started on WCW and the wrestlers who helped sink that ship.

te_lanus 19-09-2011 09:47 AM

I used to like the Late Nineties Early 20th century. HHH, The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Mankind and the rest of that era. Those older than that, I didn't watch, and the current crop is pityfull, the only 2 that stands out of the current bunch is Cena and Randy Orten, the rest is very below par

Halindir 19-09-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by te_lanus (Post 434118)
I used to like the Late Nineties Early 20th century. HHH, The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Mankind and the rest of that era. Those older than that, I didn't watch, and the current crop is pityfull, the only 2 that stands out of the current bunch is Cena and Randy Orten, the rest is very below par

Those two, and JBL were the three I hated the most..baaah!

Nature Boy Ric Flair<3<3<3<3

TheChosen 19-09-2011 12:43 PM

How can you hate JBL? Sure, he was a total prick backstage, he was a perfect smug bastard in character.

dosraider 19-09-2011 01:32 PM

....... Big Daddy, someone? Legend of British professional Wrestling aired on the BBC...?? Someone ??

Ah well, long forgotten.
Those days of lesser show and moar action in the ring. Long gone.

.... nevermind about me.

Paco 19-09-2011 03:57 PM

just one (or two) words:

HULK HOGAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile2:

besides that wrestling dont interest me. :suspicious:

Japo 19-09-2011 06:39 PM

I think for me it was more entertaining when I was 10 years old, yeah...

Eagle of Fire 19-09-2011 11:00 PM

The only time I ever cared for wrestling was when Hulk Hoggan was fighting the Géan Fèrré. Man, those were real wrestling matches.

I was two young back then to realize it was scripted but then again when a match last well over half an hour you cannot complain about the entertainment value!

The current time is 04:29 PM (GMT)