Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Gaming Zone (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth. (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=4384)

Fawfulhasfury 11-04-2005 11:16 PM

Check this out
call of cthulhu
It will be based on the writings of h.p. lovecraft, and will have a sanity system, where different horrors in game will cause the player to lose his sanity over time if you aren't careful. Also, there will be no in game life guages or ammo guages. Just the game screen. Also, instead of health packs, the player will have to administer the medicine himself. The deep ones and other creatures will have enemy ai, they will gang up on you and even create their own strategys for hunting you down, so you will not only have to outshoot them, you will have to outthink them as well. This isn't your average fps. You'll have to use your brain to survive and to help others survive. The game will feature advanced renders and backgrounds, and many locales, like the showdowy town of innsmouth to the deep one city. You'll fight hybrids, and many other evil creatures to survive. The Great Old ones are coming. Can you stop them? :D This game is created by the same company who made the two adventure games Shadow of the Comet and Prisoners of Ice. Also, go to gamespot and go to the downloads to find a trailer and footage of in game play. :) Screenshots too.

Flop 11-04-2005 11:21 PM

I've been waiting for this game for years now, and I'm really looking forward to it, now that it'll be out soon.

I just hope that the game won't be too action filled. There's nothing that can ruin a good Lovecraft story like 1000+ enemies, that all die from a shot or two. Actually, to follow the books well, it should be next to impossible to fight your way out of any situation.

Fawfulhasfury 11-04-2005 11:26 PM

According to the creators, it will be. The creatures will have to be outhunk, not just outshot. :)

Fawfulhasfury 11-04-2005 11:31 PM

Sorry for double posting, but heres the exact gameplay info.

Call of Cthulhu -- Dark Corners of the Earth is a first-person horror game that combines intense action and adventure elements. You will draw upon your skills in exploration, investigation, and combat while faced with the seemingly impossible task of battling evil incarnate.

Other than fighting, you have the ability to interact freely with characters and the gaming environment. To increase the sense of immersion, there is no interface or 'HUD' on screen at any time during normal gameplay. Instead, more intuitive methods are available for you to assess your condition, ammunition levels, and other relevant information. The combat within the game is extremely realistic, with a detailed damage and healing system that breaks down the healing process into conditions and treatments - rather than having the typical FPS 'health packs' lying around everywhere.

The game also allows you to stamp your own style onto the proceedings via an advanced AI system that can react to your method of play. Cthulhu enemies can roam freely around the environment - opening doors and tracking you down single-handedly or in groups. To stay alive you won't just be able to outshoot them, you'll need to outthink them as well.

You will have to keep your mental health in check as you are exposed to the increasingly shocking images of the Cthulhu Mythos. You will need to combat enemies using the environment, powerful and evil artifacts, Alien technology, or by fighting with weapons that are completely authentic for the period.

Set during the 1920s, Call of Cthulhu is based on the Cthulhu Mythos of HP Lovecraft, an American writer of fantasy and horror. Lovecraft's stories tell of unthinkable evil, psychic possession, and mythical worlds and his work has profoundly influenced numerous fantasy and science fiction writers, including Stephen King and Anne Rice.

The technology powering Call of Cthulhu has provided Headfirst with the means to present an incredibly detailed and accurate depiction of the sights and sounds of this unique 1920's New England setting. A diverse range of cutting edge special effects is utilized to ensure both unprecedented levels of realism and an exact portrayal of your mental degredation.

Key Features:

* Diverse array of levels from quaint towns to alien locations, including Deep One City

* Dynamic Sanity system resulting in hallucinations, panic attacks, vertigo, paranoia, and more!

* Incredibly detailed real-time graphics with atmospheric lighting and dynamic shadows

* Intelligent gameplay involving puzzle solving as well as combat and exploration

* 1920s weaponry and vehicles as well as evil artifacts and alien technology

* Lovecraft's famous monsters and locations

Check here for the latest Call of Cthulhu Wallpapers.
View the latest previews, interviews, articles, community sites and more.

Flop 11-04-2005 11:32 PM

Yeah, but I'm gonna stay skeptic till I see the game. They might pull it off, but who knows? In the end it might be just another crappy FPS. It sounds and looks very good, I'll grant you, but I've heard too much hype BS through the years, to believe everything game developers say.

Anyway, if anybody should be interested, I have a very interesting link, to kill some time until the game comes out, and we get to see if it's as good as we hope.

Fawfulhasfury 11-04-2005 11:34 PM

Cool. This is very useful. :) I will use it.
Also, the deep ones, the main baddies in the game, can't be killed with weapons, but by accidental death, which leads to one thing, puzzle solving. :)

EDIT: the faq

Q. What are the minimum specs for Call Of Cthulhu for PC?
A. Call Of Cthulhu requires a PC with minimum specifications of P3 500, a 32mb Direct 3D compatible graphics card and 128mb RAM. The game is designed to allow users of lower end machines to thoroughly enjoy the game, while higher end users can take advantage of some of Call Of Cthulhu's advanced features.

Q. What is the 'Sanity' system?
A. The 'Sanity' system is a representation of Jack's sanity in the game. This can be unbalanced by what Jack sees, hears and reads as he explores Innsmouth, and can be restored through finding areas of sanctuary or destroying evil creatures. A loss of sanity can be represented in many ways -- such as hearing mysterious voices, hallucinating or suffering visual impairments (double vision and inability to focus).

Q. What is so special about the health system?
A. The health system represents accurately the physical state of Jack Walters. The health system is much more advanced than a standard health meter. Jack can suffer injuries that will genuinely affect the gameplay. Break a leg and Jack will limp as he walks, wincing with each footstep. Break an arm and Jack will find it very hard to shoot accurately. Poison will sap Jack's stamina, and bleeding wounds must be tended to before Jack bleeds to death. Even getting wet and staying in a cold area will see Jack shivering from hypothermia. Luckily, there are many 1920s medical devices in the game, each with a real function, and Jack will be able to make use of these to heal most injuries.

Q. What weapons are in the game?
A. Call Of Cthulhu features a wide array of weapons, from the basic to the obscure and wonderful. The weapons of the 1920s are faithfully reproduced in Call Of Cthulhu and Jack can use such weapons as the Colt Revolver, the Mauser and the Springfield m1903. In addition to these, there are also more mystical weapons to be found, in deep dark places, but we'll leave these for you to find out about...

Q. What creatures can be found in Call Of Cthulhu?
A. Call Of Cthulhu boasts a wide variety of creatures and characters -- both hostile and friendly. Creatures range from the mutated Hybrids, grossly misshapen humans, to the sinister Deep Ones. Jack will encounter the mysterious Yithians, fight off hordes of deranged Cultists and work with a squad of brave Marines. Creatures and characters are drawn from the rich Cthulhu Mythos.

Q. How many levels are in Call Of Cthulhu?
A. Call Of Cthulhu features 16 levels of action-adventure, each containing many hours of gameplay. The levels range in location from a mysterious house atop a Massachussetts cliff, to the secretive town of Innsmouth, to the horrifying city of the Deep Ones, before finally culminating in a great battle at sea.

Q. What will make Call Of Cthulhu replayable?
A. Call Of Cthulhu features a system whereby players can gain Mythos Points. These reflect a level of knowledge that Jack has gained and are used to access bonuses, such as additional information and items. Players will want to keep playing to keep trying to get all of the Mythos Points, and uncover the full truth of the dark history of Cthulhu.

Q. What is the Cthulhu Mythos?
A. See the Cthulhu Mythos section of this site for more info (link).

Q. What sets this game apart from its competitors?
A. Call Of Cthulhu presents the player with an environment so complete that the player can approach the game with their own style of gameplay. The player can adopt the course of gun-blazing action to achieve their goals, or they can utilise stealth and cunning. Call Of Cthulhu also features one of the most advanced graphical engines around, capable of rendering scenes that will draw the player into the shadowy world of Innsmouth.

Q. When will Call Of Cthulhu be available?
A. Call Of Cthulhu is scheduled for a Q1 2005 release.

Jim6 12-04-2005 01:21 AM

Yeah... This game seems never to get updated... and I remember how excited I was back in '04 when they replaced the website... :( Ah, one day hopefully...

nightwish 12-04-2005 04:01 AM

Cool... I hope the game will have some loyalty to the pen & paper RPG system too.

taikara 12-04-2005 06:14 AM

Sounds like a new Project Ego sort of thing to me :angel: :whistle:

We'll see :D

UnHoly 12-04-2005 10:59 AM

It seems that this game will be great. Never too many horrors for PC. But unfortunatelly it has this annoying Duke Nukem Forever syndrome. "We will release it about two days after the end of the world" :D

The current time is 11:15 AM (GMT)