Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Elder Scrolls - Daggerfall, The (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=24605)

Japo 08-05-2010 01:38 PM

Elder Scrolls - Daggerfall, The

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

_r.u.s.s. 08-05-2010 01:53 PM

neaat

one of very little bethesda's products that are worth playing

Japo 08-05-2010 02:23 PM

A small, optional tip for the installation. Instead of choosing the "huge" install size, as the guide by Bethesda says, choose the minimum one.

Also if you do this, when you apply the patch it will install a new big file on your virtual hard drive. You can move it into the virtual CD, making sure you overwrite the likewise called un-patched file that's already there.

I have tested this for a long time now and the game works the same. You'll save some disc space and there are no disadvantages whatsoever. Since the virtual CD is actually in your real hard drive just like the virtual HD, there's no performance advantage in bigger installation sizes. On the other hand the patch duplicates that file because it assumes it can't modify a file on a read-only CD, but since that's actually on your real HD you can write on it. The game will find it the same.

Capo 08-05-2010 02:40 PM

I never managed to finish this game. Very hard :cry:

golan 08-05-2010 03:07 PM

My heart-felt thanks to Bethesda for kindly releasing old titles for free. I wish all game companies were as considerate.

This is an excellent game, though, IMHO, Morrowind is better (and is the best of the series so far). It is huge, flexible, expansive...

The only main downside of the game is the fact that most dungeons are both huge AND random, and sometimes the quest-object is stuck in a non-accessible location due to a bug, and you have to give up the quest after spending hours on searching the dungeon in vain.

Kugerfang 08-05-2010 03:13 PM

Cool, might get around to playing this sometime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by russ
one of very little bethesda's products that are worth playing

Oblivion and Fallout 3 were worth playing but they got old real quick. Another thing was the stats... it felt like you could breeze through the whole game with crappy stats just because of the real-time combat. Unlike Morrowind. :D

Just my 2 cents.

hunvagy 08-05-2010 03:21 PM

I already mentioned this back then when the freeware announcement came, but I'm really looking forward to DaggerXL. It's coming along very nicely, and is simply awesome :) Be warned, you need a fairly powerful computer for it (if one can classify a single core Athlon as one, because that can already run it).

_r.u.s.s. 08-05-2010 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kugerfang (Post 404011)
Cool, might get around to playing this sometime.

Oblivion and Fallout 3 were worth playing but they got old real quick. Another thing was the stats... it felt like you could breeze through the whole game with crappy stats just because of the real-time combat. Unlike Morrowind. :D

Just my 2 cents.

the only other game worth playing besides dagerfall was the old skynet and maybe some datadisk=P

BranjoHello 08-05-2010 04:41 PM

Played this for some very short time when it became freeware, I just can't force myself to seriously play any older Elder Scrolls game, after Morrowind & Oblivion it just seems pointless. :cry:
Maybe this DaggerXL will change that some day. :)

Japo 08-05-2010 05:58 PM

Cheat

Create a custom class, and max all attributes out until you have lots of negative points to distribute. Then press the U key and presto, the points are back to 0, you can have stats as high as you want--up to the starting maximum. (It works too during character creation after you've picked a class, but you can't make it work in your favour then because you can't get the points below zero.)

TheChosen 08-05-2010 06:01 PM

I hope DaggerXL will be more than just "alternative to dosbox". I really hope they are gonna restore missing content. From what I recall, there are stuff like disguises, deeper politics (including countries attacking each others, which would start sieges) and prostitutes that got cut.

Here's also a good alternative download place. http://theelderscrolls.wiwiland.net/...erfallSetup_EN
I couldnt figure out head or tails how to get Daggerfall to work, even with clear instructions and help from someone else. This is a basic installations which install Daggerfall, ready-to-play and patched (official and fan-made). Comes with dosbox and gives shortcuts for immediate use. No hassle or editing.

hunvagy 08-05-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheChosen (Post 404028)
I hope DaggerXL will be more than just "alternative to dosbox". I really hope they are gonna restore missing content. From what I recall, there are stuff like disguises, deeper politics (including countries attacking each others, which would start sieges) and prostitutes that got cut.

And horse riding enemies where planned. Well first the creator wants to focus on the vanilla content recreation, but plans are that the whole game will be moddable. There's a lot of ground that's just being there, so technically one could add whole cities. And it already is more then an alternative, because it implements heightmaps so you have hills and valleys, the whole map really is connected, so you can walk from one town to the next, the visibility is brutal and I think the geographically correct textures are just about ready. I've been following this project since last June, and it is really promising. Though some disagree that it's not the original, but hey, I'm happy that someone is still caring for this game :)

Psicomaniaco 08-05-2010 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. (Post 404016)
the only other game worth playing besides dagerfall was the old skynet and maybe some datadisk=P

Oh, so you are the other person who played this huh? :p

Seriously, I think Skynet was fantastic, quite ahead of its time. I bought the game when it first came out, but almost no one I know ever heard of it.

Fubb 09-05-2010 04:42 AM

Thanks so much for the link TC, i was about to force someone to give me clear and easy instructions to installing the game cause i had no idea how to make it work, i couldn't even get the Patch to work ><

a green bat thing in he privateers hold keeps killing me. Also, is there a way so the game only appears in DosBox and not in the full window via the install that TC provided?

Also, I SEE MALE GENATALIA

dosraider 09-05-2010 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fubb (Post 404054)
Also, is there a way so the game only appears in DosBox and not in the full window via the install that TC provided?

READ the fu**ing instructions on that site.
Quote:

Originally Posted by http://theelderscrolls.wiwiland.net/?title=Daggerfall_:_DaggerfallSetup_EN
Advanced configuration
Run the game in a Window

Open the DosBox.conf file with a text editor and change fullscreen=true for fullscreen=false.

When you are playing, you can change screen mode with ALT + ENTER.

tomimt 09-05-2010 08:53 AM

Personally I find the interface and movement of Daggerfall to be a bit too clunky for my taste, but ither than that it's good and pretty unique game.

hunvagy 09-05-2010 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fubb (Post 404054)
Thanks so much for the link TC, i was about to force someone to give me clear and easy instructions to installing the game cause i had no idea how to make it work, i couldn't even get the Patch to work ><

a green bat thing in he privateers hold keeps killing me. Also, is there a way so the game only appears in DosBox and not in the full window via the install that TC provided?

Also, I SEE MALE GENATALIA

That green bat thing is immune to normal weapons like iron and steel, which the game tells you "weapon ineffective". In fact a lot of enemies are. If I remember correctly, Imps need silver or better. This is one of the many reasons you should select the ebony dagger in the question about your life :) And you don't have to kill it, if you can't hit it, just don't go in there.

Panthro 09-05-2010 11:43 AM

Thanks for the link to DaggerXL, looks like a good project!

One of my favourite exploits is the random loot, you can save/load and get different stuff. Worked better in Arena though, the level system in DF means you're unlikely to get top gear early on.

DeadSomething 09-05-2010 12:15 PM

i'd like to see someone rebuild daggerfall as a mod for morrowind or oblivion.
i played daggerfall some months ago and the second enemy i faced already killed me, because somehow i couldnt use melee weapons and my mana was used up way too soon.
also the controls didnt work great.
maybe i just didnt know the controls, but thats because there isnt a manual included, so can someone please find a manual and upload it here?

Geezer 09-05-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadSomething (Post 404072)
i played daggerfall some months ago and the second enemy i faced already killed me, because somehow i couldnt use melee weapons and my mana was used up way too soon.
also the controls didnt work great.
maybe i just didnt know the controls, but thats because there isnt a manual included, so can someone please find a manual and upload it here?

Replacementdocs used to have the manual but Bethesda made them take it down. I wonder if they have changed their stance now that it is freeware?

Mighty Midget 09-05-2010 01:41 PM

Maybe a link to UESP's Daggerfall page on our gamepage would be nice. If Beth dont want their manuals laying around at repdocs or any other site, then UESP provides a great deal of valuable info on gameplay.

lonewolf1045 09-05-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psicomaniaco (Post 404053)
Oh, so you are the other person who played this huh? :p

Seriously, I think Skynet was fantastic, quite ahead of its time. I bought the game when it first came out, but almost no one I know ever heard of it.

I still have the floppies and CDs, just never loaded them up even back in the day.(I used to just buy games off the shelves).

Luchsen 09-05-2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geezer (Post 404073)
Replacementdocs used to have the manual but Bethesda made them take it down. I wonder if they have changed their stance now that it is freeware?

Bethesda has a general stance to copyright. Only the things that they declare as free are free. So, if there comes no manual with the free download and there is no manual on their site, there's no manual (for free). But asking doesn't cost a thing.

Fubb 09-05-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadSomething (Post 404072)

That kind of process would take like a year or more! It'd be like asking Bethesda to make an addon for their game, and Bethesda would never do that for a game released so long ago (morrowing was what, 2003 and oblivion was 2007?)

Just making the map itself would take an extremely long amount of time!

also calm down Dos Raider, it was a simple question, no need to blow a fuse over it.

Fubb 09-05-2010 10:38 PM

w00t, i am questing, though, some people won't talk to me at all for some reason, which is sad, because i went in a house for Sale in Longing, daggarfall and there was a naked lady that i couldn't talk to :(

also i walked into a bank and some thief attacked me, why is that? I didn't do anything wrong..

Fubb 10-05-2010 01:46 AM

The fact that you can't "interact" with all these naked women is disappointing.

Japo 10-05-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fubb (Post 404096)
also i walked into a bank and some thief attacked me, why is that? I didn't do anything wrong..

You have a bad reputation with them. If that was from the Thieves Guild faction (different from the Assassins), either you've been doing thieving or smuggling quests outside their monopoly (from nobles etc. instead of from the Guild), or you've been doing do-good quests (bounty hunter, retrieving stolen stuff, etc.) that are against the Guild (likely you got those quests from nobles too).

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Reputation

Japo 10-05-2010 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fubb (Post 404100)
The fact that you can't "interact" with all these naked women is disappointing.

I remember reading in some website that a lot of cool things didn't make it to the release date, and others got axed, notably sex and prostitution, which was reportedly made "in good taste" nonetheless. This can be found out, they say, because of leftover resources that can still be found within the game files, for example conversation lines that you could probably use to get in the bed with NPCs, or even to deal with hookers.

Too bad I don't remember the name of the website and I can't find it. :( It was small but very select, there was some other very curious content.

hunvagy 11-05-2010 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japo (Post 404144)
I remember reading in some website that a lot of cool things didn't make it to the release date, and others got axed, notably sex and prostitution, which was reportedly made "in good taste" nonetheless. This can be found out, they say, because of leftover resources that can still be found within the game files, for example conversation lines that you could probably use to get in the bed with NPCs, or even to deal with hookers.

Too bad I don't remember the name of the website and I can't find it. :( It was small but very select, there was some other very curious content.

http://www.svatopluk.com/daggerfall/museum/

Here you go :)

Tito 11-05-2010 06:58 AM

It is amazing the amount of time people have spent around this game, and the volume of lore and rumours it has generated.

For me, it is one of my favourite games, and probably the one I've played for the longest time (maybe World of Warcraft), but taking a look at the links you guys provided, it is clear that I didn't discover many of its features.

Maybe I'll try to install it again, as I still have the original. I hope the guide provided by TheChosen works fine, as I remember it was quite a boring process to set it for running under XP.

PD: My main character, the one I finished the game with (no cheating) was, I think, a level 28 knight.

guest123 11-05-2010 03:34 PM

Im having trouble running the game. After following all the instructions for installation i finally type "dagger" but it says "ERROR: looks like you inserted the wrong CD".
I have no idea why it says this, iv followed all the instructions and have mounted the dfcd folder as my cdrom. The only changes i made was selecting soundblaster pro instead of autodetecting but the tests past and i dont think this shouldv been a problem.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Fubb 11-05-2010 07:25 PM

Anyone know if Daggerfall is like Morrowind, where you can join one of the political factions? I remember joining House Hlaluu (or however you spell it) in morrowind and being sent on a political mission, but then my HD died and i got a new pc and didn't pklay morrowind after, but i always like covert-ops political stuff, ti's fun!

Japo 11-05-2010 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunvagy (Post 404155)

Bingo, :) thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fubb (Post 404210)
Anyone know if Daggerfall is like Morrowind, where you can join one of the political factions? I remember joining House Hlaluu (or however you spell it) in morrowind and being sent on a political mission, but then my HD died and i got a new pc and didn't pklay morrowind after, but i always like covert-ops political stuff, ti's fun!

You can have member status in guilds and temples only, otherwise it's just reputation (you have reputation with guilds and temples too, and you need a minimum to be a member).

Quest from guilds and temples are generated from randomly selected templates with random names, places, NPCs and dungeons, just like every other quest outside the Main Quest. The only specially interesting quests are the ones in the Main Quest, but those are hard-coded.

Todbog 12-05-2010 01:14 AM

I fondly remember spending a summer playing this game. The spell creation in Daggerfall was the most robust of all the Elder Scroll games, as the spell creation systems in the later games were limited to a small variety of effects. I would remember creating a teleport spell, setting my target inside a store and then wait till night outside. Once it was night, I would cast my spell and get inside without needing to break in and I could take everything. Money and items were not a problem after that. :)

Also, if you take the time to read the various books, you can learn about certain rituals that fall on certain dates each year. FAQ's also have the information but it was a nice little touch most people didn't pick up on, and dates in general were removed from future titles.

Fubb 13-05-2010 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todbog (Post 404229)
I fondly remember spending a summer playing this game. The spell creation in Daggerfall was the most robust of all the Elder Scroll games, as the spell creation systems in the later games were limited to a small variety of effects. I would remember creating a teleport spell, setting my target inside a store and then wait till night outside. Once it was night, I would cast my spell and get inside without needing to break in and I could take everything. Money and items were not a problem after that. :)

Ingenious! You must teach me how to do this! Oblivion thieving is broken cause people mysteriously wake up when you enter their home, whether your sneaking or not, and morrowind people don't even go to sleep!

hunvagy 13-05-2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fubb (Post 404279)
Ingenious! You must teach me how to do this! Oblivion thieving is broken cause people mysteriously wake up when you enter their home, whether your sneaking or not, and morrowind people don't even go to sleep!

Mark and Recall spells. Enter shop, cast Mark, wait for night, cast Recall :)

supa_mario 13-05-2010 09:23 AM

I should really get into this again. I played it a bit when it was first announced as freeware. But I screwed up the main quest and then lost all interest. Still the size of the world never ceases to amaze me, 15000 freaking towns.

Japo 13-05-2010 04:08 PM

I hate magic in most RPGs (yes I'm weird). So I created a custom class that's both unable to cast (without items that is), and greatly resistant to enemy magic:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...ustomclass.png

That took a lot of needless frustration out of the experience. :)

Fubb 15-05-2010 01:04 AM

yea to be honest im never a mage or magic thing in any RPG game, i HATE magic! But if it'll help me in my thieving en-devours, then Ill use it :D

yoga 15-05-2010 01:38 PM

Dear Fubb, without magics YOU can not make a single step in Ravenlof 1 & 2.. Believe me, I just finish this saga. Ty.

A simple question of simple yoga:
--I just DL the game DF.. Before start can You be so kind to advise me for some vital tings. Ty v. much..

ayoeness 15-05-2010 06:00 PM

This game is hard.. :cry:

yoga 15-05-2010 07:01 PM

True

The game is very hard..
I just started and meet problem to kill simple skeleton warrior. I am using magics mainly, being Mage..

Still I am asking for Clue book link and maps.
Now I am in some dungeon walking up-down as real idiot.. Lol

ha ha

yoga

:OK:

hunvagy 15-05-2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoga (Post 404427)
The game is very hard..
I just started and meet problem to kill simple skeleton warrior. I am using magics mainly, being Mage..

Still I am asking for Clue book link and maps.
Now I am in some dungeon walking up-down as real idiot.. Lol

ha ha

yoga

Never play a pure mage class in an Elder Scrolls game, you can't finish it. You need at least one good weapon and armor skill to survive. You should try the Spellsword instead, has plenty destructive magic and is adept with a long sword ;)

supa_mario 16-05-2010 12:00 AM

On the contrary. I find it incredibly easy playing as a strait up hack and slash warrior. The only hard part is finding my way around the dungeons.

Japo 16-05-2010 12:34 AM

He meant it's difficult playing a pure mage, not a pure warrior.

It's a piece of cake, anyway wait until you start coming across ancient lyches. One crazy thing about magic in this game is that it has no casting time requirement, if an enemy can cast several fireballs it will cast them in under a second. I HATE magic. :(

I hate RPGs where you just need magic or else you're toast. I quit playing Baldur's Gate II once every enemy was casting invulnerability at the start of every combat... ¬¬ Too bad, I liked my character, a female two-axe welding berserker with Charisma 18 called Dee Dee. <3

The 3D dungeon maps in Daggerfall were a good idea conceptually, but a bad one in practice at that time, specially considering how garbled they look in 320x200.

I quit playing Daggerfall without finishing it because beating those huge dungeons with those crazy maps was starting to feel like work, and because of the super-powerful magic-casting lyches and vampires I had started to come across. I guess in the long run you have to find some kind of magic or items or potions that give you resistance to spells.

_r.u.s.s. 16-05-2010 12:37 AM

[nvm]

yoga 16-05-2010 05:04 AM

Well, well

OK.
Many mates advise me to create Custom class character and I will follow this instruction.

..Still I will play little more as a pure Mage, because I found balance to kill the creatures. Yes, still Sceleton warrior killed me, but a good magic Shock and/or Snowflake will destroy it. .. In fact I use a very simple tactic yet: Magics and run away. Relax, pump my characteristics and again..
Still no meeting with magic caster enemies, but I am in the very beginning..
Well, rats, bats, thiefs and archers are no more problems for brave yog.

..I beg You, friends, for simple Clue book.
Ty

yoga - the brave Mage

(I like the Mages, because in my last game Ravenloft 2: The Stone Profhet....the Mage was the only alive hero after the terrible attack of Ahnketpot in final battle)..

:smile2:

DarthHelmet86 16-05-2010 05:40 AM

There is a walkthrough here, if that is what you mean by a clue book,

Walkthrough Found Here

However alot of the fun from these games comes from not knowing what is coming so don't read too much unless you have too. :OK:

yoga 16-05-2010 03:07 PM

Walkthrough

Yes, walkthrough is same Clue book.

TY, Darth Vader 86, YOU very kind.
I will use this book and maps.

I need a partner or comrade to play DF together..

Cold German beer and more..

:hihihi:

yoga 16-05-2010 05:34 PM

SOS SOS

Pls, help me!
Where is my fail: I am unable to take any object(s) from the floor or in corps of killed enemies.
I tryed Grab mode and Steal mode pressing left or right button.
Last moment: I am in a hall with 7 skulls-like candles and a table. When I press the table, some cabinets in the hall angle moved, opened weapons or like. I try to take these ones, crouching, jumping - in vain..
Rats!!
Maybe You know howto..

Grateful yog

Ah, forget to inform that I am custom made character.
Yes, the Mage is very weak in the physical contact combat.
But now my magic points are just 30, in Mage class were 130.
If I have my team of 4 members - Mage/Fighter, Cleric/Paladin, Thief and Troll from Ravenloft 2...

ha ha ha

yoga 19-05-2010 06:31 PM

Who plays DF?

Hope not me only.
Report:
Custom Hero, some like Fighter/Mage
Level - 20
Grade - Champion
Missions acc. - 8 Mainly Easy. I very carefully choose offered mission, because there are some very hard..
Magics points - 42. All 3 magics want - 40, 21,20 points.
So I am able to repeat Snowflake magic.
Money - 5400 golds
Weapon - 3 pieces
State - Will start training, but it is 1800 golds for Short Axe

Q: Can I steal some weapon , without be arrested? Howto?
QQ: What to do with these notes, which some invisible sends me?

Why some of citizens answered non corectly?

Ty

Have a good time and Let the Power be with You..

yog

DeadSomething 22-05-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BranjoHello (Post 404019)
Played this for some very short time when it became freeware, I just can't force myself to seriously play any older Elder Scrolls game, after Morrowind & Oblivion it just seems pointless. :cry:
Maybe this DaggerXL will change that some day. :)

same... hope daggerXL will really change a lot about the handling of the game...
the inventory is really difficult to use.
i already poposed to make it a mod for morrowind, which would work.
what i like is the combat, where you can assign from where to chop...
atm i will stick to morrowind, as oblivion was getting boring way too fast.
i havent come far enough to say if there are children present in daggerfall, but i know they were missing in MW and Oblivion.

yoga 22-05-2010 07:07 PM

DaggerXL

children present in daggerfall

I am level 30 and still no children seen in Daggerfall.

..DaggerXL is very colorfull and nice. But still demo version.

DF is huge game. There are 227 quests in the game..

My problem: I dunno who and where will give me MAIN and required quests?

YOU know?

yoga aka Master in Fighter Guild

metatechnocrat 29-05-2010 05:44 AM

Not finding any help online on how to run this

I noticed no one answered the person who was unable to get the game mounted in DOSbox. I'm having the same trouble.

Have managed to get the install and update to work fine. However both manual "command line" running and "drag and drop" onto DOSbox returns the no cd message.

I still have all the original material and having the original CD in the D: drive and mounting that as a CD drive in DOSbox doesn't seem to work. mounting DFCD directory doesn't either.

What am I missing? I suppose I could just reinstall from my old CD but don't remember ever getting that to work as I have had the urge to play it again before.

DarthHelmet86 29-05-2010 07:40 AM

This is a guide to getting the game working.

Have you done everything it says here?

Japo 29-05-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metatechnocrat (Post 405693)
Have managed to get the install and update to work fine. However both manual "command line" running and "drag and drop" onto DOSbox returns the no cd message.

I still have all the original material and having the original CD in the D: drive and mounting that as a CD drive in DOSbox doesn't seem to work. mounting DFCD directory doesn't either.

What am I missing? I suppose I could just reinstall from my old CD but don't remember ever getting that to work as I have had the urge to play it again before.

You have to tell us what mount commands are you entering, otherwise we can't tell you what's wrong with them.

Drag 'n drop mounts only one folder as HD, you need to use commands to mount the CD also. Make sure the folder path you're passing to the mount commands is the real one, not virtual. For example if you mount the game folder as virtual C:\, still you can't use "C:\DFCD" to mount the CD, use the real path.

Place those paths between quotation marks. When mounting the CD, make sure you pass the additional arguments "-t cdrom -label Daggerfall" (without quotation marks) after the folder path.

If you want to play with your original CD, you still have to install it from within DOSBox. (You'll also want to use the patch after you're done.) Mount the folder you want the game to be installed as virtual drive C; mount the CD as virtual drive D (with "-t cdrom -label Daggerfall"); run the installation program in the CD now mounted as D:, choosing C:\DAGGER as the destination directory.

Make sure you have "memsize=32", you can enter in the command line
Code:

config -set dosbox memsize=32

guest123 30-05-2010 08:39 PM

Please Help!

I followed the instructions for installation word for word. I made no mistakes and the entire process went smoothly... up until the point that i typed "DAGGER" to run the game. At this point it says "Oops, looks like u inserted the wrong disk".

Iv mounted all the necessary drives and i feel i have a good understanding of how dosbox works as i have used it for years. I also did the memsize thing. Also, i know the correct drive was chosen for the "CD" because i installed it with no problems.

Sorry if i cant be more specific but i usually dont have problems and as far as im concerned I'v followed the instructions perfectly. Its really strange that it fails at the final moment. And really frustrating!!

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Im dying to try this game.

hunvagy 30-05-2010 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest123 (Post 405828)
I followed the instructions for installation word for word. I made no mistakes and the entire process went smoothly... up until the point that i typed "DAGGER" to run the game. At this point it says "Oops, looks like u inserted the wrong disk".

Iv mounted all the necessary drives and i feel i have a good understanding of how dosbox works as i have used it for years. I also did the memsize thing. Also, i know the correct drive was chosen for the "CD" because i installed it with no problems.

Sorry if i cant be more specific but i usually dont have problems and as far as im concerned I'v followed the instructions perfectly. Its really strange that it fails at the final moment. And really frustrating!!

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Im dying to try this game.

"Your probably running the game using dagger.exe. Verify that the z.cfg
file is pointed to the proper drive letter and path where your
Daggerfall CD is, then run daggerfall with the fallowing command:
Fall.exe z.cfg"

This should work, it did for me.

guest123 31-05-2010 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunvagy (Post 405829)
Fall.exe z.cfg"

Thank you very much that worked for me too :)

Japo 31-05-2010 08:43 PM

Odd, I had heard that before, but dagger.exe works for me. :mhh:

Narf60 22-07-2010 08:48 AM

z.cfg paths go where?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunvagy (Post 405829)
Fall.exe z.cfg"

Hi, I am also having the same problem as the other guy. I have everything set up properly as Bethesda says to in their installation PDF. I went to the z.cfg file to edit it but I am not quite sure where to tell it to go.

My Daggerfall files are in C:\DOS\DAGGER and the CD is in C:\DOS\DFCD. Could you tell me what I should type into the z.cfg file? Thank you in advance.

dosraider 22-07-2010 09:03 AM

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php...scrolls-games/

The Fifth Horseman 22-07-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narf60 (Post 409943)
Hi, I am also having the same problem as the other guy. I have everything set up properly as Bethesda says to in their installation PDF. I went to the z.cfg file to edit it but I am not quite sure where to tell it to go.

My Daggerfall files are in C:\DOS\DAGGER and the CD is in C:\DOS\DFCD. Could you tell me what I should type into the z.cfg file? Thank you in advance.

Are you using DOSBox? If yes, what are you mounting as your C drive?

Narf60 23-07-2010 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman (Post 409955)
Are you using DOSBox? If yes, what are you mounting as your C drive?

I type in as it says on their installation manual "mount c c:\DOS -freesize 1000 [ENTER]" then after mounting the disk using "mount d c:\DOS\DFCD -t cdrom -label Daggerfall [ENTER]" I use the input of "c:\ [ENTER]" then "CD \DAGGER [ENTER]"

Silver Duran 26-07-2010 05:23 PM

*snuggles Daggerfall*
god i played this game so much when i was younger, so much to do!

bairloch 21-09-2010 08:04 PM

daggerfall has detected the error 0

well, at least it wasn't a long error code...

oh and now it says fatal error, delete and reinstall. fun

wardencz 08-10-2010 07:19 AM

For Yoga

Well some tips for ya:
In custom creation of ur character, if u insist on using magic, u should pick the ability "3x INT in spellpoints" means, ur total intellect score miltiplied by 3 is ur total spellpoints, definite must for a caster, even if ur not mainly casting dmg spells.
Few other things in charcater creation, tak as many disadvantaging abilities as u can, prohibited weapons, materials, even maybe weakness to paralysis or so, if u will be caster, then it won't cause u any troubles.
Note: The more limiting disadvantages u will take, the more advantages u can take, in a matter of game difficulty.
Playing a non-spellcaster in DF, well, sucks, not having ability to easily loot stores, levitate or defend urself against Liches/ Ancient vamps, makes the game almost infinshable.
Note: Always when i hear the specific sound of Vamp ancinet, a shiver comes across my spine, as this creature is prolly most powerful in game and just without ability to shield urself with a spell absorb/deflect (u pretty much need both) u gonna die in a second, even with those spells on u can die, since he has MUCH mana, to fill up ur mana and still killing u, in better case he kills himself off ur deflect.
In fact having much gold doesn't quite limit u, in case u don't need to buy houses or ships, without which u can live too =), on the other hand, looting shops makes u find some very good armor/weapons, in the sens of material quality, which u r very unlikely to find on corpses. Easisest way to loot stores is to create a spell "Open" with the least power so it costs few spellpoints to cast, since the doors in town don't have any difficulty rating on them, u always success in opening them with the weakest open, unlikely in dungeons, where u can just bash them.
As for maps of dungeons, main quest related dungs have hard pattern on them, UESP wiki should provide them. As for other side quest dungeons, they're always random, but with a certain pattern in them too, i think that was on UESP wiki too.
For mor questions, I'll check basck every now and then.
G'day 2 ya all.
EDIT: Later in game, it's almost a complete must to have "Teleport" spell, coz if u stumble on a very large dungeon, without having anchor at the entrance, it may take u a shi*loads of time finding the exit, event tho u can rotate the map and look for the exit.

wardencz 08-10-2010 07:54 AM

Addition

Something about training skills:
To train runnig is pretty obvious to run always =)
To train jumping, go under door, and press J (jump), if ur standing correctly, then u should't see urself jumping, but u can see ur stamina rapidly falling, coz u actually jump constantly (best done in tavern).
To train magical disciplines (mysticism, restoration, destruction, etc.) create a spell of each of those with the lowest manacost (example: restore fatigue with lowest magnitude 1-2, im not sure now if 1-1 is possible, then go to tavern, spend ur whole mana on casting it and rest, repeat for how long u want/with any magic school u want)
NOTE: to train destruction u need to create a distance spell, if u create a "touch" range spell, u will have no target to launch it on (in case it's done in tavern, which is best), and again with the least cost of spellpoints, best works with damage fatigue.
To train weapons ofc go nad hack'n'slash some abominations.
To train weapons u do not use as main, the best is to go to castles in major cities, it's a dungeon like location with many guards in it, which u can kill. (best done in a castle of Wayrest or Sentinel, im not quite sure which one, but the guards there do not defend, so u can go hack'n'slash for how long u want, simply keep re-entering)
To train pickpocketing, find a bat or rat, go to steal mode and pickpocket on them for how long u want.

yoga 29-10-2010 09:25 PM

Wow

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardencz (Post 415013)
Something about training skills:
To train runnig is pretty obvious to run always =)
To train jumping, go under door, and press J (jump), if ur standing correctly, then u should't see urself jumping, but u can see ur stamina rapidly falling, coz u actually jump constantly (best done in tavern).
To train magical disciplines (mysticism, restoration, destruction, etc.) create a spell of each of those with the lowest manacost (example: restore fatigue with lowest magnitude 1-2, im not sure now if 1-1 is possible, then go to tavern, spend ur whole mana on casting it and rest, repeat for how long u want/with any magic school u want)
NOTE: to train destruction u need to create a distance spell, if u create a "touch" range spell, u will have no target to launch it on (in case it's done in tavern, which is best), and again with the least cost of spellpoints, best works with damage fatigue.
To train weapons ofc go nad hack'n'slash some abominations.
To train weapons u do not use as main, the best is to go to castles in major cities, it's a dungeon like location with many guards in it, which u can kill. (best done in a castle of Wayrest or Sentinel, im not quite sure which one, but the guards there do not defend, so u can go hack'n'slash for how long u want, simply keep re-entering)
To train pickpocketing, find a bat or rat, go to steal mode and pickpocket on them for how long u want.

Hi, dear Wardencz,
Thank You for your detailed and experienced answer concerning Daggerfall.
Yes, I play this game day and night and have some progress.
I am Nord - 31 level, well trained and experienced. Because I am lazy player I did not create magic but simply buy from some magicians. About 30 magics are in my possesion.
.. But it is a dark night in small Bulgaria, yoga is tired and is bed time.
Soon I will give more info 'bout my game and ask for some hint.

:hello:
yoga
I see you are experienced gamer reading yr advises in Wizardry VII - Crusaders..
Following the smart Scatty I played above game 2 hours only and stopped.
OK..

yoga 01-11-2010 06:33 PM

Hurray!

Hi, dear Wardencz,

Thank You for all the hints, y provided so kindly.
- I will continue with my gaming.
It so nice to meet comrade in this hard game.
Well,
My gold is about 130 000 pieces.
My level is 31. Nord.
My Int is 156
My magics:
Shock, Wizard rend,Far silence,Resist cold,Resist fire, Resist shock,Wizard fire,Light,Orc strenght,Troll blood
Cure disease,Sleep,Paralyse,Spell reflection,Spell resistance,Jumping,Resist poison,Spell shield,Ice ball
Fireball,Free action, Invisibility, Levitate, Recall, Open, Balune Autidor, Heal, Slowfalling, Chamelleon

I finished
-Privateer Hood
-Lady Brisienna
-Mordiah Wedding
-King of Worms - Soul of Lich
The present task is
-Prince Lhotun of Sentinel had asked me to investigate the dead of his bro B'oth, who was supposing kidnapped by the Underking years ago-
OK.
I am around Castle Sentinel, walking up-down and asking every citizen about any news for B'oth. The answers:
..to receive public funeral..
..B'oth likes books more than swords..
.. came down with fever and die..
...scholar prince?
Well, no one to give me some note or clue to go to some cave nearby?
It is my problem.. Any idea?
Any help is welcome..
Ty for the help and time in advance..

Grateful yoga
:ph34r:

PS: Still no meeting with Vampire. Thanks God!!

All good hearded gamers are invited kindly to help stupid yoga..

yoga 04-11-2010 10:23 AM

Drunkard yoga

Hi, all good AB players,
How Y doing?
Nice. Bravo..

A little help for yoga , pls.

- OK. Level 31. Well trained with many magics.
Task: Lhotum prince missing brorher - B'oth.
I have no problem with game progress. But..

You know, always has one BUT - xa xa
My But is
My hero started moving as drunked russian Cossack.
I swear - not a simple alchohol drop..
Well, I direct my hero for exampe to Nord. He refuses and going to East.. This is very confusing esp. in cave - I do not enter the doors, walking as idiot round door.
I check myself - healthy status. No virus, nothing!

Maybe some players ( hunvagy) will support yoga.
Thanks indeed.
:headslap:

Scatty 04-11-2010 04:21 PM

Hmm, maybe you got your movement keys re-mapped in the game so when you press UP arrow to go forward, you slide instead to left / right? Look in the options if that is the case, hopefully it helps.

yoga 04-11-2010 07:43 PM

Yes, Scatty, yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 416509)
Hmm, maybe you got your movement keys re-mapped in the game so when you press UP arrow to go forward, you slide instead to left / right? Look in the options if that is the case, hopefully it helps.

Serious tests will take place as soon as possible.
Aber (but) I was so glad I found the dead certificate of Lhotum bro - B'oth than even with drunkard move I hurry to inform the unlucky prince Lhotum.
:lol:
Scatty, I dunno how do You feel playing some game as alone in the world, but I hate to play alone. I always want to have a partner and in a hard moment to say " Cover me , amigo".
For above game to walking arm to arm.

Ty, Scatty.

PC - What about a duel between me and YOU in Master of Magic?
Psst - Paco is around. :whistling:

Scatty 05-11-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoga (Post 416516)
PS - What about a duel between me and YOU in Master of Magic?
Psst - Paco is around. :whistling:

Bad chances there as the game is only playable alone.
But I know what you mean with playing alone, in a game like Daggerfall where NPC's, buildings and terrains are rather repititive and don't exactly "fill" the huge world with diversity, I often felt the same.

yoga 05-11-2010 08:48 PM

Yes, Yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 416573)
Bad chances there as the game is only playable alone.
But I know what you mean with playing alone, in a game like Daggerfall where NPC's, buildings and terrains are rather repititive and don't exactly "fill" the huge world with diversity, I often felt the same.

I am joking with my offer for duel in MM. Know that this nice game has no net variant.

I am glad to say that after one levitation my move is OK.
God is Bulgarian again!

Today all the day I was in Daggerfall. I resqued Princess Medora, but was stopped by some torch on the wall (cant find it still) it is actualy a key for closed door.

(Today I have a strange moment -
I played the DF. When I play, my phones are on, music is on, normally I use a net radio, named Ja-go. I am alone in the room, phones are very good, room light is off , yes very quiet atmosphere. Suddenly, my girl friend opened the door. I am deep in cave and game and no react. She just touch me. Wow! I jumped on the chair, crying in terror. I thought some vampire touch me after the corner. Yes, yes. So I stoned my face and very slowly said:
- So what, my dear. Pls, never touch me when I am in the battlefield.-
- Yes, darling - was the polite answer.)

Greetings!

Capo 06-11-2010 11:11 PM

Go Yoga! Tamriel need a hero like Yoga! Yoga FTW! :hello:

yoga 07-11-2010 12:47 PM

Grazie di cuore, amico Capo!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capo (Post 416646)
Go Yoga! Tamriel need a hero like Yoga! Yoga FTW! :hello:

Come va?
I will never forget your sweet cry "Hooray, Lord Yoga" when overcome evil Lord Xeen. Then polite Paco and Scatty helped me and shown me that the weapons had to be stuck and not be worn. Well. But this game seems more difficult than Clouds of Xeen.
Will you help me in the game UW2 - Labirint of worlds from time to time? I reached level 8 - some moving squares up-down and failed. 4 years ago.

Grazie, Capo!

yoga
Pls see that YOU and me has same postings number - 322.

Ha ha

Scatty 07-11-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoga (Post 416665)
Come va?
I will never forget your sweet cry "Hooray, Lord Yoga" when overcome evil Lord Xeen. Then polite Paco and Scatty helped me and shown me that the weapons had to be stuck and not be worn. Well.

You must be mistaken, I never posted in that thread and also never played the game :)

yoga 07-11-2010 06:33 PM

Probably I am wrong (as usually)

Sorry :headslap:
This happened a hundred years ago, Scatty.
Maybe that polite gentleman was Kmonster, another expert from Germany.
I remembered that I sent my save file and he was so kind to start game and solve my problem. Then Lord Xeen defeating was a cake.
But I am in Daggerfall and speaking bout Xeen.
Pls excuse yoga, dear admin.
Ha ha ...I am happy because Man United beated Wolves with score 2:1.
Well.
Daggerfall - I must bring Miss Medora some Horn... But can not find even armed with detailed help of Wiki.
Y'know DF is a typical RPG and all action are in deep, dark caves with suddenly appearing vampires, liches and other monsters. BTW with 78 magic points yoga is stable and victorious gamer. Level 31.
My battle tactic: If vampire appeared before me, I use 2 spells-Spell Reflection or Spell Shield. Then with my magic knive attack the enemy. 3-4 hits and over.
Same with lichs. Es gibt keine problemen fur yoga. Even paralysed from attack behind, I am able to neutralize the spell-
--How, yoga?
--Very easy. Every spell has some short duration. So I use spell Heal 2-3 time (it is about 10-13 magic points) restoring myself and this way the enemy spell end and powerful yoga returns and beat the monsters. I am armed with magic items only. I am very lazy to visit some blacksmith and order him to repair my item(s). He want payment and repair them for 1 or more days. No problem with money but as I say I do not like these delays..
But DF is so huge that one gamer may play it 2-3 years. I did 6 main quests already.

But where are You, DF players?
Is yoga the only DF player in AB? Hunvady?

Once again, pls excuse my mistake bout Xeen helper. Cant remember.

Scatty 07-11-2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoga (Post 416687)
But where are You, DF players?
Is yoga the only DF player in AB? Hunvady?

It's already pair of years since I last played Daggerfall and I also never really went very deep into the main quests, it's not that kind of a game, so I'm afraid I won't be much of help with them. General gameplay, that I can help more with though.

yoga 08-11-2010 08:09 AM

The mission is accoplished

Yes,
I find this Horn and sent to Prinsess Medora.
Oh, it was not so easy.
How?
Well, thanks to Arete advice I wrote in Google
-Where is the horn Daggerfall?
Many helping sited appeared. The first offered nice WT. Now all is cake.
7 missions ready and 32 level. 80 magic points.
I feel that DF starts to enjoy me.
Ha ha I play day and night 200 days already.

Scatty, TY for moral support.

Off
Psst!!
Can someone tell me bout Additional bonus levels - 4 and 5 for Heretic - Shadow of serpent riders? I finished 1,2 and 3. I am expert in this game. I may beat every opponent even with closed eyes.
I know the game is not AB..

yoga 10-11-2010 02:02 PM

7 main missions ready

Hi, gamers,:smile2:

The first main 7 missions are ready:
1-Privateer's Hold
2-Lady Brisienna
3-Edysana Robe
4-Blackmailing Prince
5-Prince Lhotun missing brother
6-Freeing Medora & Unicorn horn
7-Dust of Restful death
Note: You will find the dust in Mummi. Achtung!:OK:

Now I am in Mission 8 -Lysandus Revelation - waiting when Medora will finished the mixture and ask me.
All main missions are 23. I plan to play only main missions.
But now I started UU2 and will play 2 games at once.
(I play Prince of Persia 3 also but this game is not AB).

:max:

yoga 11-11-2010 01:18 PM

11 of 23 mission finished

Hi, gamers,:smile2:
The first main 7 missions are ready:
1-Privateer's Hold
2-Lady Brisienna
3-Edysana Robe
4-Blackmailing Prince
5-Prince Lhotun missing brother
6-Freeing Medora & Unicorn horn
7-Dust of Restful death
+
The powerful yoga has the pleasure to announce that careful check shows that he finished 3 more main missions, mainly:
8-Barenzian's book
9-Morgian's wedding
10- King of worm-soul of lich

and yesterday he finished one more
11-The Wayrest painting

I will give some tips according this mission.
1. You are send to find above painting. It is in Wayrest. You start in hall. Right side of up stairs to the King. You will see a man on the table. OK.
You have to open right side door. Do not hurry.
-Why, brave yoga?
-Because opening of this door will result of attack of nearby Knight, another 2 Knights after door and female Battle mage - 10 meters from the door. Even one of both Knights are unable to attack You (no place), the another 3 are very dangerous opponents.
My battle tactic: Fully equipped I attack first female Battle mage. She has no support from the Knight. NO any spells usage! Keep the magic points for spell Heal only. OK. I beat the female Battle mage. Pls use Heal only when yr life meter is about 10-15. Save the game.
Now same tactic to Knight.He is very strong but yoga is Master. Gone. Save. Yr magic points are not 82 but still enough if you are clever. Open the door. Now face 3-th opponent - again Knight. Battling. Use Heal if necessary. Ready. Save fast because last Knight is attacking you. Now is the real battle. Do not save Heal now. After his dead you may restore. Fair yoga finished the enemy, but live meter shows 3 points!!..Bravo, brave yoga. Y are the pride of AB!
- Yes, you may rush out of Wayrest and restore in some inn, but I do not test this tactic.
2. Now reduce your loading. Why? Because the Painting is not 1 kg and I was forced to drop down 10 000 gold to take Painting. Do not worry. When back you will take this stuff.
3. Use spell Recall when you are in one Torture room. I failed and then cried all the way back.:smile2:
4. When in sewerage use my tactic. Do not hurry to jump in the water and battle with very strong opponents. No. Go to edge of water, incline yr position, the way you see the monsters. Then spell Fireball. Killing 6-7 enemies and you now may jump in the water. Down thru the channel. Be very fast and ready to use spell Levitate. Hit the locked door with spell Open.
My next mission is Lysandus's Revelation.
-
The only problem I met is with the cart. Cant menage it..

:max:

My present status.
My level is 33. Magic points - 82. Gold - 128 000 .
Equipped with magic weapons only. See my last post why.

yoga 12-11-2010 04:16 PM

Breaking news

12- Stronghold of the Blades - finished
:whistling:

Scatty 12-11-2010 09:09 PM

Amazing, I've never been that far in the main quest progression in Daggerfall :OK:

yoga 13-11-2010 01:12 PM

You very kind

Danke,
:mischief:
Aber I played the first 6 mission about 6 months, and then as a flash I started to accomplish 1 mission per day. Now I am in 13 Mission..
..But now I will beg all DF fans to be patient because I am in another battle field - UW2 severs (moreover PP3 want to run and pass one difficult passage)

Well, for a while yoga stops this DF project..
Anyway...:smile2:

Last word -
--If You are in bad condition in the game - no magic point to heal, enemies around, no place to hide, Remember , folks that You may rest on upstairs.. Yes, yes, believe me.
--And if You beat Wrath from close distance, it has no chance to hit you by magic Paralyze or like.(Wrath is black monster with red eyes, usually semi visible, at 1 meter high in the air before you.
--In this very moment the harder opponents for me are: ancient vampires and knights. But I am Master and max 10 hits are enough to send them in better world.
--Last tip: If you want to pass a distance without being disturbed, spell the spell Spell sheath. Now even been hit by monster you have time to meet enemy full ready for friendly welcome.

yoga 16-11-2010 02:11 PM

13-th Mission is over.

My next mission is Lysandus's Revelation is finished. :whistling:

..Resting after my fail in UW2 ( I can not find the switch on the right wall) I decided to restart 13-th mission. Easy..
But I have difficult problem with my...... mouse. It begins strike. I politely ask it to return to its duty. No. Nein. Even increasing of the salary not help. So, after all mutual ways were exhausted I showed the door of this mouse. End.

-Yoga, you do not finish the mission.
-What? You want to say yoga is not fair!
-Prove.
- OK. When I reached Lusandus sarcophagus ...
-Stop.Stop. What do you or the dead king do?
-Well. I used my magic Dust of Restful Dead on the sarcophagus and click on it. Suddenly the sarcophagus opened and a skeleton emerged. Then it appeared before me in human shape and explained who kill him. It was lord Woodborne in Wayrest. It was covered with red fires.
If you do not end the mission you will not know this dramatic end.

Only 12 missions left.
But I must find this fuc-ed switch or Scatty will laugh at me..
Anyway...:smile2:

yoga

Scatty 16-11-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoga (Post 417158)
But I must find this fuc-ed switch or Scatty will laugh at me..

What switch? There's no switch outside, you have to get to the second gate further away which can be opened normally, then you can open the first gate with a swith inside. Told you in the UW2 thread, didn't I? :huh:

yoga 17-11-2010 08:09 AM

TY

Yes, but Scatty let go to UW2 thread,
otherwise I will break the AB rules.

Aramazon 17-11-2010 05:59 PM

I'd kind of like to play Daggerfall now, seeing all those missions described. I used to play it but I would just go fighting random encounters. The dungeons got very boring very quickly. How can you manage to keep playing it for so long without getting bored? I'd love a few tips so I could actually finish it.

yoga 17-11-2010 10:46 PM

14-th Mission is over. Lysandus' revenge

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aramazon (Post 417229)
I'd kind of like to play Daggerfall now, seeing all those missions described. I used to play it but I would just go fighting random encounters. The dungeons got very boring very quickly. How can you manage to keep playing it for so long without getting bored? I'd love a few tips so I could actually finish it.

Hi, Aramazon,

welcome to the best game thread.

Moment, pls.

...Yes, betrayer and killer Lord Woodworne was found and killed by brave yoga. Now the spirit of noble King Lysandus is ready for resurrection. When You kill this lord, a short video will show the King and his army. Just 9 missions left only, but because the game is not linear I dunno what to do. Will wait and try something.

Dear Aramazon,
with all my respect to YOU, allow me to disagree with yr words the game DF is boring game. As you know RPG are mainly in caves, castles or like. It is not out door games like Doom2.
Yes, in the very beginning till you starve to increase yr level status you must visit monotonous places. But this way you training for bigger challenges. Start the game and for me will be pleasure to direct you and help you. Soon the game will became one wonderful adventure.

Enjoy !

yoga 19-11-2010 09:13 AM

15-th Mission is over. Concern for Nulfaga.

No comment.

:OK:[/quote]

wardencz 19-11-2010 10:40 AM

Well, Yoga, you seem to be a hardcore player =)
I thought that after I posted some of the tips on character creation u will start over again, I think that by that time you weren't far from begnning anyway, but no, you just kept playing on, thumb up for that :OK:.
One of the things I'm wondering about is actually how you manage to kill vamp ancient with barely 90 mana. I remember my hard times defeating one with 250 mana, yet u manage to do it with 90 =)
As you are speaking of using magic weapons and stuff, I guess u have them identified and are well aware of their abilities, since most of magical items are "use me and cast something", other, with constant effect are getting worn way much faster than normal, even if it isn't a weapon, just because of having it equipped.
As for your lvl of 31 or so, I guess you are fully daedric equipped with daedric dai-katana(in case that you are using swords) used as a tool of destruction, if not, I suggest geting one ASAP =).
As for UUW2, I played and finished it too, but it was years ago. Won't be much of help there.
Anyway keep fighting a good fight :OK:.

Scatty 19-11-2010 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardencz (Post 417346)
One of the things I'm wondering about is actually how you manage to kill vamp ancient with barely 90 mana. I remember my hard times defeating one with 250 mana, yet u manage to do it with 90 =)
As you are speaking of using magic weapons and stuff, I guess u have them identified and are well aware of their abilities, since most of magical items are "use me and cast something", other, with constant effect are getting worn way much faster than normal, even if it isn't a weapon, just because of having it equipped.

It's quite simple actually. You just have to create own character instead of choosing one of the offered classes, give him ability to regenerate mana and have 3x of it and add some insignificant disadvantages like taking damage in holy places (which only rarely does you any bad) to balance off character advancement, and start training all primary and secondary (you should have none of them less than on secondary) magic skills. For that you create spells with one effect that uses each one specific school, set them to lowest values so that they use no more than 5 mana, get some money and rent a room in an inn for something like 2-3 months. Cast one spell up to empty mana, rest, repeat until that skill reaches it's maximum of 100 or 95. For offensive spells like dummy firebolt for training Destruction, cast it on the door of the room, that counts as a hit and trains the according skill.
Train all magic skills that way up, after which you can create even combined spells with good values like shield + spell absorb together and they would mostly still cost only 5 mana to cast. With such skills and spells even ancient vampires will be rarely any threat to you, which makes the game maybe even a bit too easy.

As for the items bit, there's a variable in Daggerfall's config file that can be set and allows with the latest patch, while creating own items in magic guild, to add Repair property on them which repairs everything in your inventory just the same way as if you would give weapons or armor to a smith to repair, though the property repairs only if you rest, not during traveling. Use the capture soul spell to store souls of Ancient Vampires or Daedra Lords in soul containers to allow much more being added to an item. Ancient Vampire souls even have no disadvantages but huge point bonus.
Easy to become overpowered with all the strategies above.

Aramazon 20-11-2010 04:32 PM

It's actually really fun, but my biggest issue right now is my save files keep getting corrupted and then I'm losing time I put in. Do you guys have this problem too or what? When I try to load the save file it will say some random error or the last time it was some kind of character error. Any suggestions?

Scatty 21-11-2010 12:47 PM

Never had that happening, though there are quite a lot of (also game-damaging) bugs in earlier versions of the game. Do you have the latest patch for it installed? Also just in case you're not playing it in DosBox, you should. Last but not least, it might have something to do with problems on your hard drive, run a Scandisk and see if there're any errors.

yoga 22-11-2010 11:56 AM

Hurray!! Once again for brave yoga

Hey, amigos,:hello:
Ty for yr questions and conversion.
Well, my gamer friends named me Bulldog. Y'now what it means.
Some more info, if Y dont mind:
-Few years ago I started here in AB the game The world of Xeen.I played and played but was impossible to kill bad Lord. I started game 6 times, till a friendly gamer ( maybe this was Kmonster) informed me that my mistake was that I just carried the weapons not wear. After this help the dead of bad lord was piece of cake.
Little note: One good hearten gamer here advice me to attack a lava area with very strong, very strong monsters. And stupid yoga attacked. Wow!! What was my surprise found myself among not 1-2 monsters but 7 !!! and more approaching.
But yoga is yoga..I killed 3 and vanished as a spirit.
Vo-vo. I will not betray this gamer, he is very good man. :))
Then I finished the game Anvil of down. Again Scatty was my mother Teressa.
Then I leave AB because of problems beyond my control.
After my return I started Ultima 8 – Pagan. I started the game 6 times – nice Paco and Scatty helped me non stop , but something was wrong and reaching the Pit of Dead I give up.
Then I finished the saga of Ravenloft:
1- Strahd' Possession
2- Stone Prophet.
During these adventures I played the game Heretic 1 (maybe I am the best world player of this game) and Prince of Persia 3. I started Doom 3, but do not liked in single version.

Now I finished Daggerfall. Actually there a some more missions (2 or 3) but this depends of the game.. I started the game DF at 15 May 10. First 6 months I accomplished 5-6 missions. Then suddenly I started to pass 1 mission per day-two days.

If You do not mind I will give You more details and some trips for new comer.

My parameters:
Level - 35
Magic points - 86
I am Nord, custom character, some mix like Fighter and Magician.

My equipment:
Accessories:
1 amulet
1 bracelet
1 magical ring
1 magical emerald
1 magical diamond

Dresses and weapons
-Red helm +10
-Daedric right cauldron +10
-Daedric left cauldron +10
-Daedric left pauldron +10
-Daedric boots +10
-Daedric greaves +10
-Steel Cutlass +4, magical
-Fancy Armbands , magical
-Khajiit suit magical
-Towered shield +4,
-Daedric dagger 13-18, magical
Numbers, starting from my Helm to clockwise – 25,25,21,4,9,21 (on my portrait)

Others:
Gold – 230 000 pieces
Fatique – 153
Health – 260
Encumbrance: 145
Strength – 97
Intelligence – 172
Willpower – 88
Agility – 58
Endurance – 56
Person. - 57
Speed – 86
Luck 62

Spells: I have 31 spells, but I will show the best ones and required magic points:
6 Shock
15 Troll blood
15 Cure disease
27 Paralyze
20 Spell resistance
28 Spell reflection
33 Spell shield
5 Jumping
7 Fireball
9 Invisibility
5 Levitate
15 Open
6 Heal
8 RECALL

I DID NOT make spells. I bought. Where yoga? Search Magic Guild, join and then buy the spells. Moreover I am lazy beggar.
(cont.)
:doh:

yoga 22-11-2010 12:20 PM

Very strange.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aramazon (Post 417445)
It's actually really fun, but my biggest issue right now is my save files keep getting corrupted and then I'm losing time I put in. Do you guys have this problem too or what? When I try to load the save file it will say some random error or the last time it was some kind of character error. Any suggestions?

Never had that happening, never..:headslap:
I have no any bug in the game.

Only I do not like the pose of killed opponents -
(with open legs, like prostitute, a little cynical, sorry):sucks:

yoga moralist

yoga 22-11-2010 01:44 PM

Part 2 - Some 20 tips

Some tips of DF: :OK:
  1. Never ask the citizens with weapon on, steal mode. You will be ignored. Grab mode, weapon off.
  2. Do not kill the citizens, You will be attacked by very strong knight(s). And more trouble.
  3. Note: I made test how I am strong in the last missions- relaxing I was sent by Magician to kill rebel mage – I found this mage, it was in the roof, killed it and loose about 20 mana. Then I called knights, imitating sleep (it is strictly prohibited to sleep in town!) Well, 3 knights appeared and attacked me. But brave yoga defeated the knights. You lie, yoga! NO, I swear in my dad! OK, how did it? Not easy, amigo. I attacked one knight. And keep my eyes on my life meter (the left column). When this meter approached the bottom I click on the spellHeal. Hurray! Full meter. One knight is down. Same tactic I defeated these 4 knights. Remember I was level 34. Very well equipped and with magic weapon. For WARDENCZ only: Believe me ,mate, I am surprised to know yr troubles with anc vampire with 250 mana. My tactic; When I see this one I spell the Spell - Spell reflection and attacked the monster. At least 3 hits with my magic dagger and finito. No idea how is possible so experienced gamer like YOU to have these problems with vampires? Pls note that all my equipment and weapons are enchanted in Magic guild.
  4. Write down carefully all location names! Yoga , how to use my sword? Ah, excuse me! Try fast mouse motion from far up left to far down right. Train and you will be OK.
  5. How to visit another province? Get out of castle, house, inn or like. Press button W. In the map press on required province. Then press Find and write the name. This is not easy moment.
  6. Save and save. Keep saves in flash memory for example.
  7. When you have spell Recall, use it before enter any castle, house, and dangerous place. It will save you many troubles and you will say: Thank you yoga very much!! Believe me.
  8. From time to time press Button +. Soon you will be granted with … ha ha .
  9. Keep any messages!
  10. If you remove something on the ground, it disappear soon.
  11. Control your health. Place mouse button on the watch far right down and you will know yr condition. Beware any virus. If you have, goto some guild – they have a doctor.
  12. Let me tell some funny moment with yoga: Battling in timeless caves I was virused. Have no medicine. Try to use Fast travel – W, then press on wanted location . No , I received message that it is impossible to travel ill. So? I decided to travel step by step to remove location. And 30 minutes I desperately pressed button to location. I did it! But for fast traveling press button 1. I entered the town, goto Guil, asked for help, payed the sum and voila!!
  13. Do not be greedy. In fact 40 000 golds are enough.
  14. Do not repair yr stuff when you find magic weapon or shield.No need. You may increase yr weapon characteristics in same Magic guild. Find Smith.
  15. If anyway yr money are too much visit bank and transfer in Letters of credit – they weight 250 grams only. Sry, I use CI system, not Inch.
  16. Keep in mind that using Spell Reflection you will easy killed the opponent directing spells on you.
  17. Avoid any task with very strong enemies or too difficult places. The main quests are not too hard.
  18. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Daggerfall Big helper.
  19. If you are not so strong, use spell Invisibility
  20. Good luck!
Hey, Aramazon, I made test with one my old Save file. No problem. If you want this save file (sry it is no at the beginning, just PM me. I see you reject any PM.
Greetings.

Please, be advised that brave yoga will concentrate on game UW2. TY

wardencz 23-11-2010 04:52 AM

Maybe, that my hero felt the fear I felt so he rather died =)
EDIT: Or maybe I'm not as skilled as it may seem =P

Aramazon 23-11-2010 05:18 AM

Thanks for the tips Yoga! I've got my game up and running and it's quite decent. I haven't had any problems with save files for a while now...I did find though that I get a crash when I try to use an "area around caster" spell too quickly.

Anyways, I've got a battle mage character, level 6 now, I've been training him up a bit. He's good with a sword and his magic skills are 40+. I just got destruction to 60.

I'm just getting started on the main quests...I haven't actually done too much with them.

One thing does make me sad though, as a battle mage my character can't wear any plate armor...so he's stuck with leather. It's okay though because when I make a custom character I feel like I'm cheating because I can make my character so strong.

yoga 23-11-2010 06:17 AM

No, no

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardencz (Post 417609)
Maybe, that my hero felt the fear I felt so he rather died =)
EDIT: Or maybe I'm not as skilled as it may seem =P

I am feeling YOU are very nice and brave gamer.
Would be so kind to help me in my new UW2?
Diky mnoho!

yoga:whistling:

yoga 23-11-2010 06:33 AM

Do not worry

[quote=Aramazon; One thing does make me sad though, as a battle mage my character can't wear any plate armor...so he's stuck with leather. It's okay though because when I make a custom character I feel like I'm cheating because I can make my character so strong.[/quote]

Yes, this is the price we pay for Mage character..
Do not afraid..Maybe in the future Y will find magical leather?
Do you enchanted yr equipment with Smithy in Magic Guid? It is free.
My friendly advise is to concentrate on spells. Avoid physical contact with opponents. Kill them with power spells. Sadly the power spells required more mana but mana is depending on yr level. So, you have to evaluate is yr Hero strong en.?
I did created new character in my beginning because I was so weak that all opps killed me without any problem. Do not hurry. It is better to create balanced hero. You have all the time of the world.

..And feel free to ask me for help when You need. Ty.

Good luck!!:whistling:

yoga
Dont forget Button + !
ha ha - good button

One polite question if Y dont mind:
- You are in AB from 2005 but have 6 posts only? Merci.

wardencz 23-11-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aramazon (Post 417611)
Thanks for the tips Yoga! I've got my game up and running and it's quite decent. I haven't had any problems with save files for a while now...I did find though that I get a crash when I try to use an "area around caster" spell too quickly.

Anyways, I've got a battle mage character, level 6 now, I've been training him up a bit. He's good with a sword and his magic skills are 40+. I just got destruction to 60.

I'm just getting started on the main quests...I haven't actually done too much with them.

One thing does make me sad though, as a battle mage my character can't wear any plate armor...so he's stuck with leather. It's okay though because when I make a custom character I feel like I'm cheating because I can make my character so strong.

Well, making a custom character doesn't exactly make u that much stronger, it actually expresses your personality so to say. In case u get too many advantages and few disadvantages, there is a difficulty "meter" to the rigthish of the screen, so you can make your game actually much more difficult using custom character than premade cahracter.
EDIT: I strongly recommend having running skill as primary, imo, it's the easiest skill to develop (remember having running at 125% or so, thus running faster than horse =DD)

wardencz 23-11-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoga (Post 417614)
Do you enchanted yr equipment with Smithy in Magic Guid? It is free.

From what I recall, you have to be a high ranked in mages guild(8th rank or so?) to have access to magical item creation, right?

As for the UUW2, I might try, but as I said, it's been a long time =)

Scatty 23-11-2010 01:13 PM

Yes, you need to have done some randomly chosen quests for the guild and have a certain level to be promoted to a higher / highest rank (something above 10 I think) and only after that you can use the services of the magic smithy. Depending on what / how many properties you add to an item it also costs a lot of money, so it's in no way free.

yoga 23-11-2010 07:54 PM

Yes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 417636)
Yes, you need to have done some randomly chosen quests for the guild and have a certain level to be promoted to a higher / highest rank (something above 10 I think) and only after that you can use the services of the magic smithy. Depending on what / how many properties you add to an item it also costs a lot of money, so it's in no way free.

Yes, I have done many randomly chosen quests for the guild and have a higher rank (something above 10).
Well, to be fair I want to tell You bout some my fails.
- I finished game without understand the system of this cart and horse. Their weights are 0 kg, but how to use the cart no idea.
- Do not know how to write down when map is open on specific zone and condition.
- Will be nice if someone explain this matter for new comers.

Scatty 23-11-2010 10:46 PM

When you enter the inventory, in the upper right corner you can click on the icon for the inventory and it switches to the cart inventory (750 weight capacity) if you possess a cart. When you select an item and drop it, it doesn't drop on the ground as usually but instead gets transferred into the cart.
One only needs to enter a dungeon which has monsters very close to the entrance door and keep slaying them, picking up items and storing into the cart, exit the dungeon, re-enter and repeat the procedure to hoard loads of good items. Then sell them all in the town, store the money at the bank and withdraw as a credit letter. Sure way to get rich quickly.

wardencz 24-11-2010 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoga (Post 417679)
Do not know how to write down when map is open on specific zone and condition.
- Will be nice if someone explain this matter for new comers.

What do you mean?
You mean, like when in town having map open, to find something or to write down notes, or do you mean the world map, then you can't search for continents itselves instead you just have to find it manually, but when you are viewing certain continent, then you can search for towns, dungs etc., if you know the name ofc. You can't make notes on the world map.

wardencz 24-11-2010 05:12 AM

for the info (source uespwiki)

Rank 5 Access to Item Maker
Rank 5 Enchanter: Reputation:50 Highest skill:55 Lowest skill:24
Required skills:
Alteration
Destruction
Illusion
Mysticism
Restoration
Thaumaturgy

yoga 24-11-2010 10:38 AM

Hmm, what is this horse for?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardencz (Post 417701)
What do you mean?
You mean, like when in town having map open, to find something or to write down notes, or do you mean the world map, then you can't search for continents itselves instead you just have to find it manually, but when you are viewing certain continent, then you can search for towns, dungs etc., if you know the name ofc. You can't make notes on the world map.

I mean when open the usual map (not Lilac bay map), left to sleep fire down, to write down that this zone is passed already or like. Or to marked the location.
Y'now what deep and difficult caves we entered.
So a little info is very handy for tired hero.
Many times I was so deep, that I was very upset
and only the nice spell Recall back me to the surface.
Yes, I played hardly to increase my level in the beginning.

One more my fail: I think this is specifically for me only..
I do have black Optical mouse. Nice. But suddenly this mouse starts to have tendency to move my hero as drunken Russian Cossack! Believe me..
I have serious conversation with Missis Mouse and after it refuses to obey me, just fired it..
Now seriously: This is no good for mouse control at all, but I found solution. Just start the spell Levitation and all is 6.
(In my BG 6 is highest school score - 2 is bad record.)
Of course yoga has diploma with scores 4 (University).
In the special school my diploma is 5.49 (I am the forth student in rank).
In the primary school my diploma is of course total 6.
You see how in progress yoga understands that is better to catch fish, play football and beat lord Xeen instead of sleep on the dusty books.
I am lazy beggar..
Ha ha

Aramazon 24-11-2010 07:50 PM

@ Yoga:

The whole thing about school is the same for me. I used to be a good student, now I'm taking a year off from university.

And yeah I know, I've been a member for a long time cause I've been playing old games for...a good amount of time, but I just didn't find anything to talk about. So not too many posts.

I gotta say though, my character is starting to get really kick butt. My destruction is 100, so I can use fireball like no other, and I can also use the disintegrate spells which I name KILL, they insta kill everything. My big problem now though is the use of distance spells...I find they like to explode in my face instead of going where I want them to.

I'm going to get a spell reflection artifact soon because there are a lot of Vampire Ancients...and they kill me very easily.

Anyways this game is too great! My eyes hurt from playing it too much!!

Scatty 24-11-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aramazon (Post 417749)
My big problem now though is the use of distance spells...I find they like to explode in my face instead of going where I want them to.

You can make two kinds of distance spells - those for a single target and those with radius damage.
The first ones only damage the targeted enemy if he's hit and cost less mana, only 5 with careful designing and still strong enough to insta-kill with high level of the respective magic skill(s). Radius damage spells are pretty pointless in my opinion since enemies are rather rarely close enough to each other to be affected all by them. Spell with disintegrate effect costs more and is therefore also rather pointless with high enough magic skill(s) to kill just with one single-target ranged spell.

Aramazon 24-11-2010 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 417753)
You can make two kinds of distance spells - those for a single target and those with radius damage.
The first ones only damage the targeted enemy if he's hit and cost less mana, only 5 with careful designing and still strong enough to insta-kill with high level of the respective magic skill(s). Radius damage spells are pretty pointless in my opinion since enemies are rather rarely close enough to each other to be affected all by them. Spell with disintegrate effect costs more and is therefore also rather pointless with high enough magic skill(s) to kill just with one single-target ranged spell.

It's not just with the area effect spells though...I mean that when I target a guy on the other side of the room...my ranged spells don't go there, sometimes(too often if you ask me) they just explode right in front of me...so I either get hurt or the mana is wasted.

In fact, for just the ranged spells I find they rarely hit the enemy. Even when it goes right into him it rarely seems to work. At least the area effect spells work every time.

Scatty 24-11-2010 10:46 PM

Yes that happens quite often, I noticed it too. What I found often helps is to point the spell just below the feet of the enemy, more or less adjustment is needed, and it mostly hits the target instead of the ground. If pointed directly at an enemy the spell very often just flies through him, doing nothing.
I think it has to do with a mediocre made collision detection of Daggerfall. Better forget those area effect ranged spells, they only hit yourself as you noticed. Touch range spells always hit though if close enough.

wardencz 25-11-2010 05:33 AM

I always hated damage spells, I only used protective/healing spells, instead a good old magical daedric dai-katana was my best friend.

OT: I was attending uni too, sadly only for 1 year, I never was into studying too, highschool was piece of cake, first semester of uni was cake as well since it was a repetition from highschool, but then I said goodbye education and now I'm happily working for almost 3 years, yay. Time goes fast..

Scatty 25-11-2010 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardencz (Post 417774)
I always hated damage spells, I only used protective/healing spells, instead a good old magical daedric dai-katana was my best friend.

Same here, only I preferred daedric broadsword (looking better than katana) and a shield to have more defense :p

yoga 25-11-2010 08:53 AM

I used 5-10 spells

[quote=wardencz;417774]I always hated damage spells, I only used protective/healing spells, instead a good old magical daedric dai-katana was my best friend.

Hi, mates,
Yes, I was badly injured from the spell Fireball.
So I recommend you ,Aramazon, to use this spell only when you slightly inclined, had to kill water monster in one of last missions.
-I will tell you my spell experience:
1. Recall - very, very handy spell. You have to have this one at any cost!
2. Heal - No comment
3. Spell reflection - Use it when cross corridors, and bad Lich and Wrath will be killed at once. Ha ha very nice. I recommend you to use this spell always +
4. Invisibility
5. Levitate
6. Open - some doors are open when hit with dagger or sword
7. Cure poison - in the very beginning
and 2-4 more. May be Jumping and Troll blood.

Do not buy too much spells.
I bought too much and then I was confused to scroll all of them to find wanted one..

I am abs. agree with Wardencz with his opinion concerning type of spells used. Note that with increasing of yr level their cost in mana decreased.
Again I am surprised with problem with this Ancient Vampire -
Repeat - I used Spell reflection and 4-8 dagger hits are enough.

Do not rely on the spell to kill opponents. No.
Main factor is yr brain and good old magical dai-katana or dagger.

Dear Aramazon, I am glad you begin to realize how nice is DF. Believe me I started many years ago the first game of the saga but do not finished.. DF is better.
Always save before taking new task and keep this save in a slot 4 for example. In case you meet very strong opps and timeless cave, You may back and ask better and easier task.
And keep every day gaming in for example Flash memory.
Yes, this will prevent you from fatal mistake..
(Ha ha - one day I was so angry that entered a general story and start robbery as real gangster. Immediately 3-4 knights appeared. But I took good position after the rack this way allowing only one knight to attack me and killed them all. Ha ha). Keep in mind you may climb even you have no Levitate still .

Enjoy!!:max:

End -- button +

wardencz 25-11-2010 09:14 AM

Well, I used spell absorbtion and deflection against A. vamps.
I never bought spells, for a couple of reasons:
1.Most likely from the beginning if you have low mana and low casting skills, there will be many spells that you won't be able to cast
2.I always lolled at the spells names, if you have many bought spells then you get pretty confused while trying to find desired spell
-- I've always created custom spells to perfectly suit my needs(manacost, power etc.) and always named them whatever I wished(for instance: "train restoration" and i know it means: restore fatigue 1-2 for 5 MPs, not the kinda name you get by buying spells like: Satans burning flames)

yoga 25-11-2010 11:19 AM

WOW

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardencz (Post 417781)
Well, I used spell absorbtion and deflection against A. vamps.
I never bought spells, for a couple of reasons:
1.Most likely from the beginning if you have low mana and low casting skills, there will be many spells that you won't be able to cast
2.I always lolled at the spells names, if you have many bought spells then you get pretty confused while trying to find desired spell
-- I've always created custom spells to perfectly suit my needs(manacost, power etc.) and always named them whatever I wished(for instance: "train restoration" and i know it means: restore fatigue 1-2 for 5 MPs, not the kinda name you get by buying spells like: Satans burning flames)

Yes, yes, I feel yr way of creating spells is better.
Correct, in the beginning we have no enough mana to spell.
LOL
Pls explain Aramazon how to create spells.
You are better spell maker than me.

Astaldo711 06-01-2011 09:54 PM

I spent many many hours playing this game. I bought it when it first came out because I loved Arena so much. I can still remember calling tech support to complain how the game crashed after playing for 10 minutes. The guy said "you're lucky, some people can play for 5 minutes before that happens." I didn't even have a modem back then and they had to MAIL the patches to me!

Kenkelkenkel70 16-01-2011 03:17 AM

Performance issues

For my umpteenth adventure into daggerfall , I ventured into abandonia and snatched me up a copy. To my surprise it turned out to be an exe and not a .zip. ( I am accustomed to a little dosbox tango to run my df)
I was quite surprised ny this and pleased, at first.
However, the performance of daggerfall is pitiful at best. I tried different .conf settings yet it seems to hurt more than help.
I remember playing this sucker on my p1 phenomenally and I had no performance problems running older downloads of the .zip with dosbox.
Though today, it runs at a snails pace. Please help a Jeff kind Sirs and Misses!

:cry:

DarthHelmet86 16-01-2011 04:37 AM

The reason this is an .exe file is because it is a setup file provided by Bethesda when they made the game freeware, normally hosted on their webpage but after the change for Elderscrolls 5 it got removed.

It is still running in Dosbox and as such you might need to fiddle with it a bit more to get it to run right. Sadly there is not a lot we can do to help, I recomend that you fiddle with the config a bit more. Or have a look around on Google to see if others have had the same problem.

Kenkelkenkel70 16-01-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthHelmet86 (Post 420761)
The reason this is an .exe file is because it is a setup file provided by Bethesda when they made the game freeware, normally hosted on their webpage but after the change for Elderscrolls 5 it got removed.

It is still running in Dosbox and as such you might need to fiddle with it a bit more to get it to run right. Sadly there is not a lot we can do to help, I recomend that you fiddle with the config a bit more. Or have a look around on Google to see if others have had the same problem.

Thanks yous Mr. Helmet, Elder scrolls 5... hmmm.

Scatty 16-01-2011 10:41 AM

First of all, if you're playing Daggerfall in DosBox 0.74, try it in DosBox 0.73. Some games have troubles running in 0.74. Second, the recommended settings (in dosbox.conf file):

[cpu]
core=dynamic
cycles=27000 (or more, not necessary though)

[mixer]
rate=22050
blocksize=2048 (4096 if 2048 is not enough)
prebuffer=512

See if those settings help it.

wardencz 16-01-2011 11:34 AM

I use the same setting as Scatty, but for the CPU cycles =max, works just perfect for me. (but it really depends on your computing power)

Kenkelkenkel70 17-01-2011 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 420782)
First of all, if you're playing Daggerfall in DosBox 0.74, try it in DosBox 0.73. Some games have troubles running in 0.74. Second, the recommended settings (in dosbox.conf file):

[cpu]
core=dynamic
cycles=27000 (or more, not necessary though)

[mixer]
rate=22050
blocksize=2048 (4096 if 2048 is not enough)
prebuffer=512

See if those settings help it.

I have the same cpu and sound settings, However I am using .74, I am gonna change versions and see if that helps.
Btw, I have machine set to svga_et4000 and memsize 32,
I would like to optimize this also.
My scaler is normalx2, I would really like to use the hq saler.
Do any o' you cats use a nice shader or do they vamp up the resources used by dosbox too much?

Scatty 17-01-2011 03:52 PM

I never used any other scaler than normal2x though I tried others, as this one looks most normal and least blurry from others, at least at my notebook with set resolution.
Maximum memsize that DosBox accepts is 64 (63 only though if typing mem in DosBox), more doesn't increase it.

Instead of svga_et4000 I would recommend vesa_oldvbe, or vgaonly in case of trouble from some games. vesa_oldvbe should have best compatibility with most games using high-resolution modes, while others can be used for games that used to specifically hardware-access certain less-widespread cards like Paradise (svga_paradise) and provided special or better enhancements / resolution modes with those, like Moraffs Dungeons of the Unforgiven for example.

TheAnyKey 22-01-2011 12:06 AM

Does anybody know if it is possible to increase the resolution in Daggerfall? I have a 28" 1920x1200 screen and it looks extremely pixelated.

It wasn't as much an issue on my old 19" screen but on the 28" it looks really bad.

Thanks.

Edit:

I changed the scaler in the DosBox options to 2xsai. It looks a little blurry now but overall a little better, I think.

Now I downloaded "Daggerfall WinXP Edition(DOSbox)-TLN". It should run Daggerfall in resolutions up to 1680x1050. I followed the installation instructions by the user shreddog here: Do not Link to Torrent sites!

Still it does not start. When I double click the dosbox.exe it opens for half a second and closes again. I have Win 7 64 Bit and Win XP 32 Bit installed. I tried to run it on Win7 64 Bit and Win XP 32 Bit and it doesn't start on both.

JonasTheTolerated 22-01-2011 12:27 PM

Spyware?

Wonderful game, just like I remember it. I don't know if this has been brought up before, because I didn't read the whole thread (sorry :headslap:), but after full installation my malware scanner picked up and removed a piece of spyware. The infected file was called "eyeofargonia.exe". I doubt it was a false positive, since the game seems to be running just fine without the file. Has anyone else run into this and can explain it, or can we see about getting this file removed from the download somehow? With the upcoming new ES release, it's possible and even likely that the number of downloads of this game will increase, and this infection could spread that way, if it's a positive.

Dave 22-01-2011 12:53 PM

Seems a false positive to me, happens with old games. Maybe it's a crack or similar. I've scanned it using Avira and nothing has been revealed. Maybe other will tell you more.

JonasTheTolerated 23-01-2011 11:09 AM

Thanks, Dave. It is entirely possible that it might just have been a crack or something, but the name of the infected file makes it sound like it was an adventure pack - whatever Malwarebytes didn't like, it was in an executable file, and that worries me.

Can anyone offer any more insight? I'd really appreciate a few more opinions and thoughts about this before I make the decision about what to tell people about this download.

DarthHelmet86 23-01-2011 11:17 AM

This .exe setup file is (from what I know at least, all the copyrights and the like are there to see when you run the install.) the one provided by Bethesda, I got it from a different source after the Bethesda site took down from the page it was on (the site I got it from was the one Reloaded linked to I think).

Microsoft Security Essentials sees nothing wrong in it at all. It is possible someone hacked it and put a virus in it, but I doubt it for now. We are talking about this in the updaters forum at the moment.

The Fifth Horseman 23-01-2011 11:29 AM

Allegedly, the file is an editor meant to change the view distance setting in your saved games.

Jironobou 23-01-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonasTheTolerated (Post 421277)
Wonderful game, just like I remember it. I don't know if this has been brought up before, because I didn't read the whole thread (sorry :headslap:), but after full installation my malware scanner picked up and removed a piece of spyware. The infected file was called "eyeofargonia.exe". I doubt it was a false positive, since the game seems to be running just fine without the file. Has anyone else run into this and can explain it, or can we see about getting this file removed from the download somehow? With the upcoming new ES release, it's possible and even likely that the number of downloads of this game will increase, and this infection could spread that way, if it's a positive.

The eye of Argonia is just an extra patch that is used to increase the detail level beyond Daggerfall's Max setting. It actually relatively likely that it was a false positive.

JonasTheTolerated 24-01-2011 11:26 AM

Thanks everyone. Sounds like it's getting more and more likely that it picked up a false positive, but better safe than sorry. DarthHelmet86, please let me know what you come up with over in the UL forum.

DarthHelmet86 24-01-2011 11:29 AM

UL forum? Do you mean the Updaters Forum. If so we have found that this is a repackaged version of Daggerfall to include some fan made patches (all clean and such but not the orginal being hosted by Bethesda). One of our members is creating a preinstalled version of the Beth version to host when we can.

To be clear, the version we have is virus free, but isn't the orginal version but a repackaged one to include some Mod/patches. A new preinstalled version will be up soon.

_r.u.s.s. 24-01-2011 10:09 PM

you mean a new version without the additional good stuff like the patches and mods? why'd you do that? o_O

Japo 24-01-2011 10:22 PM

For archival purposes?

_r.u.s.s. 25-01-2011 03:27 PM

..i thought having the originals plus all the extra goodies was a good thing. it's not like it were a 1:1 clone cd image anyways. seriously, why remove it?

Japo 25-01-2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. (Post 421565)
it's not like it were a 1:1 clone cd image anyways

The archive we were trying to make would contain the last official release of the CD by Bethesda... So yeah.

But it is up for discussion.

JonasTheTolerated 26-01-2011 12:25 AM

Darth - yes, that's what I meant. I meant to hit UD, and somehow ended up with UL. That's what I get for not reading my own posts.

Seems it was a false positive after all. Good to know. Thanks once more, all.

TheAnyKey 26-01-2011 08:05 PM

Does anybody know how the weapon skills, besides HtH, in Daggerfall work?

Hand-to-Hand increases damage and chance to hit but what do the other weapon skills do?

Do they also increase damage or is damage solely increased by the weapon in use(+str modifier) and the weapon skill increases only the chance to hit?

How do they work?

Thanks.:zoidberg:

DarthHelmet86 27-01-2011 04:46 AM

Well if the skills hold true to Morrowind, which I think they do in most ways, then increases in the other weapon skills increases the damage of the weapons related to that skill.

Japo 28-01-2011 09:47 PM

The archive has been replaced, since at Abandonia we aim at preservation. If you look at the files inside the CD image included, their last modified date attribute is set at 1996. That comes from Bethesda and it must be legit. :)

After a thorough examination we have every reason to believe that the files discussed above are harmless. We do not want to discourage in the least their usage, you can find the fan-made Windows-friendly installer with mods at:

http://theelderscrolls.wiwiland.net/...erfallSetup_EN

TheAnyKey 29-01-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthHelmet86 (Post 421704)
Well if the skills hold true to Morrowind, which I think they do in most ways, then increases in the other weapon skills increases the damage of the weapons related to that skill.

Thanks, I really can't find anything about that particular part of Daggerfall's game mechanics. Not even at uesp.net.

Does anybody know where to get Soul Gems, to trap souls to enchant items?

Scatty 29-01-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAnyKey (Post 421863)
Does anybody know where to get Soul Gems, to trap souls to enchant items?

You can buy them at the Mages guild (or was it Wizards guild?) after you have advanced few ranks in there, from this guy who sells magic items there.

8BitLord 30-01-2011 05:45 AM

I must say, I always loved the Elder Scrolls games and this was one of my favorites. ReDLing for a good time!

TheAnyKey 30-01-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 421886)
You can buy them at the Mages guild (or was it Wizards guild?) after you have advanced few ranks in there, from this guy who sells magic items there.

Thanks, found them. They don't seem to be really necessary. An ancient vampire soul give 1000 EP, just as much as "damage from holy places". I just gave my gear "damage from holy places" 4/5 times instead.

Are smaller weapons really quicker in Daggerfall? I compared short blades like daggers and such to 2-handed weapons like warhammers, war axes, flails or dai-katanas and couldn't see a difference.

wardencz 30-01-2011 01:13 PM

Imo there's no difference

Scatty 30-01-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAnyKey (Post 422003)
Thanks, found them. They don't seem to be really necessary. An ancient vampire soul give 1000 EP, just as much as "damage from holy places". I just gave my gear "damage from holy places" 4/5 times instead.

Some are more useful than others, like for example the soul of Earth Atronach which gives a non-stackable (with other items with same property) protection of +3 to every body spot on one item AND additional weight, add Feather Weight option before adding that soul and reduced weight of Feather Weight remains. The souls of Elder Daedra (don't remember if the name is correct) also give a huge bonus, 2500 I think but also a number of negative effects like damage in holy places.

TheAnyKey 30-01-2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 422027)
Some are more useful than others, like for example the soul of Earth Atronach which gives a non-stackable (with other items with same property) protection of +3 to every body spot on one item AND additional weight, add Feather Weight option before adding that soul and reduced weight of Feather Weight remains. The souls of Elder Daedra (don't remember if the name is correct) also give a huge bonus, 2500 I think but also a number of negative effects like damage in holy places.

Enchanting items can make the PC completely overpowered anyway, imo.

I am level 22 with 789 hitpoints, 250% hth, 250% critical strike, 250% dodging, etc...

You can easily ruin the game balance with the item maker.

Guest13 21-03-2011 07:35 PM

Daggerfall

When I downloaded this game last year it took you to a different website where you were able to download. Now it's right here on Abandonia. The website I was taken to had detailed instructions on how to get Daggerfall working with a CD mount.

Now it looks like that website is gone. Someone here posted a link to instructions and all I get was a '404' message. When previously I was able to go there and follow the instructions. This CD Mount command I was using worked on another game that needed it.

Today I can't get anything to work and that is because I was stupid enough to lose the instructions to get Daggerfall to work. The other game I got to work (that I bought ages ago) fails to run also.

I find that the website no longer exists. Once I get some simple commands I'll be able to refresh my memory.

Japo 21-03-2011 10:41 PM

Hi Guest13, good news:

- There game is now far easier to run than with the original instructions. Just read the download and review webpage under
http://www.abandonia.com/files/games...andonia_18.png

- The original instructions are still available as an extra download at the top of the same webpage. But really they're unnecessarily complicated. Here they are:
http://www.abandonia.com/files/extra...l%20extras.zip

alcaray3 19-06-2011 11:22 PM

Did your archive change? Seems like it's messed up. There are a ton of files missing from your \arena2 directory compared to the \arena2 directory on the iso. Also, I'm having missing file issues when I play (113's). Coincidence? Yes, I do understand that occasional 113's are normal for this game, but for me they start as soon as I get out of the starter dungeon and receive a message in my pack that's supposed to warn me that I have lycanthropy.

That's another wierd thing: I've restarted with new characters 3 times now, and ***every time*** I've gotten the lycanthropy quest as soon as the first time I hit "W" to go to daggerfall. This last start I gave myself disease resistance and was careful with my fights (and save/restores) so that I took not one single point of damage from any bat, rat, bear, skel, human, imp, nor that lonely orc. Where am I picking this disease up from???

The last wierd thing is that I get the 113's when I click in my inventory to read the message telling me that I have lycanthropy. You might well ask how I know what the message says, if it crashes the game when I click it. Well, it turns out that if I restore and try it again about 10 times, one of those times will let me read the message. Which seems like another impossibility to me: I mean if the file is there for me to see, ever, then it should always be there. And if I find it once, it shouldn't disappear (and then come back once in a while).

And yess, I did try the fixsave program which is supposed to help with some of the 113s. No joy.

I'm tempted to copy the arena directory from the iso over the one created by your archive, to replace the missing files. But you warn me that the iso is an unpatched version. Not sure how to procede.

Japo 20-06-2011 12:26 AM

Did you follow in the instructions below the review?

It's normal that there are tons of files on the CD not on the HD, the installation is minimal, and everything else would be duplicated (since the CD is already in an image file on the HD).

Better than copying files by hand, you can try erasing and re-installing from the CD (ISO). You can then patch it to the latest version by downloading the "extras from the Bethesda release" (link at the top of the review, to the right of the main download link) and running the patcher in it.

alcaray3 20-06-2011 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japo (Post 429076)
Did you follow in the instructions below the review?

To the extent that I could, I did. Drag&drop did not work for me because it does a:
"mount c "c:\users\danny\desktop",

which does not make any sense, and does not work. I'm not sure where the shortcuts have to be and/or where dosbox has to be to make it work. Instead, I:

1. manually launch dosbox,
2. "mount c c:\dagger",
3. "c:", and
4. "dosbox".

I think this is equivalent to what your drag&drop accomplishes when it works. If not, let me know.

Quote:

It's normal that there are tons of files on the CD not on the HD, the installation is minimal, and everything else would be duplicated (since the CD is already in an image file on the HD).

Maybe, not sure. Some games do it one way, some another. However, if it works the way that you think, then perhaps the files inc:\dagger\arena2 are only the ones modified by the patch. And the game uses these in preference to the ones on the image. If so, then it would be safe to copy the files over from the iso, prividing I do *not* replace duplicates.

Quote:

Better than copying files by hand, you can try erasing and re-installing from the CD (ISO). You can then patch it to the latest version by downloading the "extras from the Bethesda release" (link at the top of the review, to the right of the main download link) and running the patcher in it.

Yes and no. I have a distant memory of sweating bullets trying to get this to work, while doing the installation from the CD. Likewise, there are plenty of people here and elsewhere complaining that it is hard. I hate to abandon an implementation that works.

Smiling Spectre 20-06-2011 06:16 AM

Main problem with installing DF from CD is issue in DOSBox itself: it cannot recognize label of disc, so if you made "clean" install, it will say "no CD". But as this issue can be avoided with no-cd install, well, I cannot remember anything else. Simply made "full install", apply patch (still with "CD" in DOSBox), made game no-cd, and play! At least, it worked for my my last three installs of it. :)

zirkoni 20-06-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre (Post 429083)
Main problem with installing DF from CD is issue in DOSBox itself: it cannot recognize label of disc, so if you made "clean" install, it will say "no CD"....

I never had such problem... :dunno:

Luchsen 20-06-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOSBox Manual

-label drivelabel
Sets the name of the drive to "drivelabel". Needed on some systems if the CD-ROM label isn't read correctly (useful when a program can't find its CD-ROM). If you don't specify a label and no lowlevel support is selected (that is omitting the -usecd # and/or -aspi parameters, or specifying -noioctl):
For Windows: label is extracted from "Real Drive".
For Linux: label is set to NO_LABEL.

If you do specify a label, this label will be kept as long as the drive is mounted. It will not be updated !!

Japo 20-06-2011 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alcaray3 (Post 429082)
To the extent that I could, I did. Drag&drop did not work for me because it does a:
"mount c "c:\users\danny\desktop",

which does not make any sense, and does not work. I'm not sure where the shortcuts have to be and/or where dosbox has to be to make it work.

It works for me. But you must follow the instructions to the letter. Un-zip the whole folder structure, that is: you get a "TES2 Daggerfall" folder, with only a file "dagger.bat" and a folder "dagger". You must drag onto DOSBox this "dagger.bat", NOT the "dosbox.bat" inside the "dagger" folder. And if for example you move "dagger.bat" into the "dagger" folder, it won't work either. You must not disturb the relative placement of any file. (Otherwise it would be pointless to have two separate .bat files, surely you figured that.)

Quote:

Instead, I:

1. manually launch dosbox,
2. "mount c c:\dagger",
3. "c:", and
4. "dosbox".

I think this is equivalent to what your drag&drop accomplishes when it works. If not, let me know.
No, it's not equivalent, and here's the cause of the error, and of what I said above. The installation I prepared expects the game to be found at the virtual path "c:\dagger\", because that's where the original CD installer left the game when I ran it. Your lines place it at the virtual path "c:\".

The archive is prepared to run it exactly as instructed, to the letter, or alternatively it allows you to re-install the game since it includes the original CD.

If you re-install it, you will have the same constraint about the virtual path were the game must be run from. If you installed it in a folder mounted as "c:\", you must always run it from the DOSBox virtual path "c:\", or you will get an error. If you install it at "c:\dagger\", you must always run from "c:\dagger"\. Etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre (Post 429083)
Main problem with installing DF from CD is issue in DOSBox itself: it cannot recognize label of disc, so if you made "clean" install, it will say "no CD". But as this issue can be avoided with no-cd install, well, I cannot remember anything else. Simply made "full install", apply patch (still with "CD" in DOSBox), made game no-cd, and play! At least, it worked for my my last three installs of it. :)

A full install like Spectre says is an option, if as he says it precludes the need to have the CD. To be honest I never tried that. I had just prepared the archive for another game that didn't work without CD even with a full install (for copy protection purposes), plus this way we get to preserve the original CD.

The issue with the CD error and the label is quite complicated:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japo (Post 421493)
The game has a very particular way of identifying the game CD. It's not a good way, because it seems the only thing it does is look at the disk label; but in a very particular way. The only way it works AFAIK is with the mount command advised by Bethesda: using "mount" with a simple folder (not imgmount with an image) with the parameters "-t cdrom -label Daggerfall".

Mind you, it has to be "-label Daggerfall", neither "daggerfall" nor "DAGGERFALL" will work! I just realized today, I was lucky to make it work at the first try back then, but I'm sure this has been responsible for a lot of pending support posts on the forum. Considering that DOS was case insensitive, and that the champs who coded this could have no foreknowledge of how DOSBox and its mount.com would handle this, this has to be a one in a million shot, and very fucked up.

But I wanted to make this work by mounting an image instead of a folder for one reason. The "imgmount" command accepts either a real or virtual for the image, but "mount" accepts a real path only. So I can't make a .bat that mounts the folder as CD and then starts the game, because every guy will have the CD folder in a different path which I have no way of knowing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japo (Post 421695)
The story is, I now remember when this got released, lots of people were saying that you had to enter "fall.exe z.cfg", dagger.exe wouldn't do. I now know they must have spelled "wrong" the label in the CD mount command. Dagger.exe is a very small program that only makes some checks (CD and presence of mouse, enough memory and file handles...) and if they're passed it just calls precisely "fall.exe z.cfg". So an image still doesn't cut it for dagger.exe, but if you call "fall.exe z.cfg" instead it runs OK.

alcaray3 21-06-2011 10:38 PM

I see. Your instructions were a bit on the general side. I have an obsessive personality and I like things organized properly. Typically, I install dos games to c:\games\classics\.... In this case I looked ahead a bit into the dagger.bat and dosbox.bat files and got the feeling that this thing needed to be at c:\dagger, and (begrudgingly) that's where I put it. Your instructions were also a bit general at the part about drag&drop. You should have said something about launching Windows Explorer, finding the \Tes2 Dagger folder and dragging the bat file from there. This procedure is pretty ineffecient anyway, in my opinion.

Never-the-less, I have now:
1. removed c:\dagger,
2. deleted the dagger.bat shortcut from my desktop,
3. unzipped he \Tes2 Dagger folder to my root directory,
4. launched the game by drag&dropping,
5. started a new game with a new character, and
6. grinded through the starter dungeon for the 5th %$!!%!!! time.

Upon exiting the dungeon and hitting the 'w' key, I get the "blah, blah message blah blah backpack blah blah written in a flowing hand" message. I open my backpack and click the message and it comes up to announce that Andy Woodsy (or whoever) insists that I go somewhere and get my lycanthropy cured, blah, blah, and blah.

Then I get out of the backpack and hit 'w' again. Instead of the map I expect, I get the "blah blah flowing hand" message a second time. I don't think I've seen this variation before. So I go to my backpack and there are now 2 messages. Clicking on the second one gets me the lycanthropy note. Clicking on the first one crashes the game with a 113.

I think I'm over this game for the time being. Maybe I will try it again in a year or so. It is a shame.

Japo 21-06-2011 11:41 PM

That particular error is very strange. I have beaten the game once and gotten very far another time, and I found occasional glitches, but nothing like that, specially so reproducible.

Have you tried re-downloading? And re-installing from the CD, patching or not afterwards?

The drag 'n drop method is advised only for beginners who don't know how to use DOSBox otherwise. The rest of people need only take into account that this installation needs the game to find itself at "C:\DAGGER\".

dosraider 22-06-2011 06:03 AM

Or get the game@DBGL
http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/
Pre-configured and ready to run on DBGL.

If you can't get it running with this one, forget the game, it really doesn't like you.

Japo 22-06-2011 07:03 AM

Good idea.

There's also another installer for Windows, mentioned earlier in this thread:

But I don't really understand what happens to you Alcaray, unless you have modified the game files by hand as you said. Try DBGL or the other package.

Schurke 29-06-2011 08:12 PM

i installed this game from abandonia yesterday and i got the same lycanthropy problem as alcaray :(

Japo 30-06-2011 02:18 AM

Aw man I'll have to look into it. How can I reproduce it, does it appear always the first time you try to look at the region map?

Japo 30-06-2011 06:18 PM

Please attach a savegame file from just before exiting the dungeon, checking that when you play from it you get the error.

Japo 02-07-2011 09:02 PM

I have replaced the archive. I reproduced the error, and with this archive it's gone. Let me know if there are others, this game is quite special about everything. Thanks to Alcaray and Schurke for reporting.

It's now a full installation and it doesn't need any CD, but it needs to be run with "fall z.cfg" instead of "dagger", or else it will complain about it. It also needs to be mounted at "C:\DAGGER\". The cutscenes are missing.

Cardgar 03-07-2011 09:47 PM

New to this

My girlfriend recommended this game to me and I was having the problem with the scroll that people have been posting about lately. I just re-downloaded the game and it is running fine, however I never got the scroll that was giving me the problem in the first place.

Should I just wait longer for the scroll to appear in my backpack or was it just taken out and I need to activate the main quest in some other way?

Thank you very much, it looks like a great game!

Scatty 03-07-2011 10:52 PM

Well, if you never received the scroll through the bug in the first place, just let yourself be bitten and scratched by a werewolf or a werebaar (those two differ as does slightly the affliction of you becoming one or another) for some time, just see that you don't die, and you should become afflicted with lycanthropy, triggering the following optional hidden quests including (and beginning with) the appearance of the mentioned scroll.
Oh, and you don't become afflicted immediately, rest for 2-3 nights in an inn and you'll see a video, that's when you know it has begun.

Cardgar 03-07-2011 11:01 PM

Main quest bug

I just started playing this game a couple days ago and I was having this scroll error that you just fixed. I just re-downloaded the game and I no longer receive the scroll upon exiting the dungeon.

Is there another way for me to pick up the main quest or do I have to re-load the game or go to a previous save inside of the dungeon?

I would like to be able to do the main quest but if it is not possible with this version I will just play without the main quest.

Thanks, this game is a lot of fun!

Scatty 03-07-2011 11:11 PM

I think I'll upload an easy-to-install ISO of Daggerfall to the ISO Cellar, where this bug with the scroll doesn't appear, or at least it didn't so far for me. My version seems like being slightly different from the one already linked to there. I would recommend to download the full CD ISO version from there in any case, if only for the fun of the game intros / videos.

Edit: see also the last post of Japo on the previous page in this thread. It's just that this bug with the scroll seems to be fixed, but the main quest should be pursued without any problems. Just that the version downloaded directly from Abandonia lacks the ingame videos.

Cardgra 03-07-2011 11:16 PM

Sorry about double post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 429971)
Well, if you never received the scroll through the bug in the first place, just let yourself be bitten and scratched by a werewolf or a werebaar (those two differ as does slightly the affliction of you becoming one or another) for some time, just see that you don't die, and you should become afflicted with lycanthropy, triggering the following optional hidden quests including (and beginning with) the appearance of the mentioned scroll.
Oh, and you don't become afflicted immediately, rest for 2-3 nights in an inn and you'll see a video, that's when you know it has begun.

My problem is not with the lycanthropy quest, it is with the main quest. I am never recieving the mysterious note that should initiate the main quest. The scroll I'm talking about is the one that starts the main quest, but before the update was crashing the game. Now I just can't get the scroll.

Scatty 03-07-2011 11:23 PM

Well wait until I upload a CD ISO of the game to the ISO Cellar tomorrow, there shouldn't be any problems with the main quest anymore if you install the game from it I hope. I'll see also if I can add anything to the readme.txt file provided with it for the easiest possible installation of the game. I never had any quest-breaking problems with that version of the game yet so far, so maybe it will help there.

Japo 04-07-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardgra (Post 429975)
My problem is not with the lycanthropy quest, it is with the main quest. I am never recieving the mysterious note that should initiate the main quest. The scroll I'm talking about is the one that starts the main quest, but before the update was crashing the game. Now I just can't get the scroll.

RATS!

How long have you waited for it? Reportedly it takes two to three weeks since you exit the Privateer's Hold.

Japo 10-07-2011 12:17 AM

I have tested the current archive and I do get the letter, some days after exiting the Privateer's Hold.

Let me know if you have other problems. The game complains about the missing CD if started with dagger.exe, but "fall z.cfg" works, and although the cutscenes are missing the game doesn't seem to crash because of it.

BranjoHello 15-07-2011 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japo (Post 429254)
Good idea.

There's also another installer for Windows, mentioned earlier in this thread:

But I don't really understand what happens to you Alcaray, unless you have modified the game files by hand as you said. Try DBGL or the other package.

I'm downloading these. Decided to give Daggerfall another try.
Is anyone playing with this version and does it work fine?

Scatty 22-07-2011 10:36 AM

Here one can find (and download) a great and useful FAQ for the game, which covers pretty much every subject.
Here also one can get the (to my knowledge) latest and last version of the small program Fixsave which scans Daggerfall savegames and repairs in case of possible bugs and problems. It's a newer version than the one provided with the last 2.13 patch. Both can also be downloaded here, along with many other useful things for Daggerfall. Look out especially for DFInstall utility, which installs the game from CD / full ISO under Windows XP + newer and automatically applies patch v2.13.

BranjoHello 22-07-2011 12:32 PM

I'm not sure about all that useful things but many of them are included in packadge from Japos post.
I tried it and I like it. Had much better experience with it than with the one from official ES site.

cdnp 16-01-2012 04:32 PM

Hello.
I see that the Size is still listed as being 161025 kb. Since you have changed the archive to have the Dagger.exe file inside instead of the Dagger.iso the new size is now only 99,513kb. Maybe the game page could be changed to reflect that.

Japo 16-01-2012 07:41 PM

Thanks for noticing, fixed.

elishalai 17-03-2012 10:30 PM

Hi all, I'm new to the forums.
I've just installed Daggerfall but I can't get past the "select home province" screen. I click with the mouse on a province but nothing happens... Any advice?
I'm running DOSBOX on Win Vista 32.

yoga 18-03-2012 06:33 AM

OK

Quote:

Originally Posted by elishalai (Post 440643)
Hi all, I'm new to the forums.
I've just installed Daggerfall but I can't get past the "select home province" screen. I click with the mouse on a province but nothing happens... Any advice?
I'm running DOSBOX on Win Vista 32.

Hi,
Travel map
Right clicking on the Map icon on your character sheet brings up your Travel Map.
Although it is possible to walk to any location in the Lliac bay (I used this option once- I was badly wounded and fast travel was impossible. I traveled about 35 minutes real time but reached home town-Wow.), this may take hours of real time, so it is often preferable to “fast-travel”.
Click on the region you are interested in visiting. Your own region blinks.
Once you get a close-up of the region, move your cursor over the dots to see the names of each of them. It can be difficult to get the arrow onto this dots. Clicking the right mouse button on the map will blow it up even further. Selecting FIND will allow you to type in the name of a place and have it located for you. In most cases you only need to type in the first part of a place name to get a match. Click the I'M AT button to see where your character is currently located.
The 4 map legend items also act as filter. Clicking on one of them hides that type of place on the map. Clicking on it again revels them. Most regions in Daggerfall have hundreds of map locations. Late in the game, these filters will become very handy.

Travel Options
After a location is selected, press the OKAY button on the Travel Options menu to begin your trip.
You have a variety of options, which will effect your speed, fatigue from the trip, and the odds of avoiding wandering beauties.

Useful?

Nice site is:
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Daggerfall

.. I wish You big success with this nice game and .... I feel gentle envy You are able to play this game.:smile2:

yoga

Japo 18-03-2012 11:52 AM

I think he/she means while making the character.

@Elishalai, are you clicking on the Imperial Province? You can't have a character from that one, you have to choose one of the others.

yoga 18-03-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japo (Post 440678)
I think he/she means while making the character.

@Elishalai, are you clicking on the Imperial Province? You can't have a character from that one, you have to choose one of the others.

Oh, so sorry if s(he) in the beginning and still creating character...

Anyway soon or later every player has to visit new provinces and towns, so my quotation is not useless, dear Japo.

Greetings

Unregistered32434 18-03-2012 08:00 PM

I encountered the same problem as elishalai. the problem seems to be that the mouse is not activated in the installed version.

Japo 18-03-2012 08:38 PM

Try pressing Ctrl+F10

catchaserguns 24-03-2012 08:49 AM

To all the people having problems installing and running this game this is what I did to get it finally to run.
mount c c:\oldgames (oldgames is the directory where it is installed)
mount d d:\ -t cdrom -ioctl -label Daggerfall I'm using the cd version which I got from someone
Z:\C:
cd dagger (always use the change directory command, never do
mount c c:\oldgames\dagger)
c:\dagger\dagger
I found a lot of games which do not work on frontends and do not like their directories to be mounted.

zeke77d 28-07-2012 04:40 PM

daggerfall error

trying to run daggerfall in dosbox but get the error message "daggerfall has encountered error 0" have i installed something wrong or not set the program up correctly? any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.

Japo 28-07-2012 06:47 PM

Are you following the instructions on the review page, under the header "how to run the game"?

RobertM0215 17-08-2012 04:48 PM

Dosbox cheats for Daggerfall

Hi....thanks for the game (a small contribution has been made).

I'm finding some of the combat a bit clunky and difficult. Having checked the options, it doesn't seem as if the difficulty slider can be adjusted mid-game.

I've found the z.config cheat and all seem to work except invincibility (CNTRL-F4) which does nothing. Ideally, I'd like to be able to toggle this on and off rather than grinding through as a frequently murdered novice!!

Mighty Midget 17-08-2012 05:04 PM

First, I am not going to tell you how you should play a game, so don't read this that way but:

If you find opposition to be too tough, unlike in many other games, in the TES world there is no shame in running away to train and come back later for pay back time. Early on, there are few dungeons suitable for a low level character and while it's true, that even a hero can face horrible foes, it does get easier as you get better at fighting or casting those mean spells etc. When you start out, I strongly suggest spending time training your favorite skills and taking those small jobs found in cities.

RobertM0215 17-08-2012 07:56 PM

Thank you MM for your quick response and I did note it as intended and didn't take it as patronising.

The problem is that I was a bit enthusiastic and put the difficulty slider between normal and hard. On reflection, I should have made it easier as bats and rats are proving difficult to kill and the scorpions are handing me my butt on a plate!

I'll take the advice on board but it took a lot of grinding to get where I am and don't want to start from scratch. So any cheats that can help me along would still be useful.

Zagan 06-08-2014 08:10 PM

I can't get my sword to swing. I have tried remapping it to other keys and everything but I just can't attack and it's really frustrating. Is there some kind of fix for this?
Everything else seems to work, I can cast spells and save, work my inventory, steal, and such. I just can't see to attack which makes it a pretty short game.

Mighty Midget 06-08-2014 09:35 PM

Are you using keyboard alone or a mouse? Have you tried clicking and HOLDING the attack button while moving the mouse (not sure about keyboard but try the movement keys)?

Japo 06-08-2014 10:47 PM

While holding the right mouse button pressed, move the mouse around to swing

zirkoni 27-11-2019 04:39 PM

Daggerfall Unity has reached alpha milestone. It means you no longer have to run the buggy DOS version but can use the open source clone instead.

Quote:

what does the alpha milestone mean? For Daggerfall Unity, this means we are now at broad feature parity with classic Daggerfall. Not only is the game playable from start to end, but all the core gameplay systems from classic are implemented and available. Hitting alpha means that development will shift from adding new gameplay features to refinement and fixing bugs.

https://www.dfworkshop.net/

The current time is 01:23 PM (GMT)