Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   1869 (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=3740)

Strobe 13-03-2005 02:06 AM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Yobor 13-03-2005 02:15 AM

This looks like an intersting Sim.

BubbaHoTep 13-03-2005 04:42 AM

Great game, I played it in '94 for months. It takes some getting used to, but the intricate trading system is very rewarding for those with the patience. :ok: But alas, the review said that already.

Reaper 13-03-2005 06:14 AM

Very interesting name... 1869...

peregy 13-03-2005 10:20 AM

A very good game!!!

Chris 13-03-2005 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Reaper@Mar 13 2005, 08:14 AM
the game starts in the year 1854 with the longest possible playtime 15 years, so you are in 1869 when the game ends. but i don't really want to know how Max Design came upon this name :blink:

dwarfo 13-03-2005 02:44 PM

Very good game, 1869 i theese old games about sailing out in the see :Titan:

Havell 13-03-2005 04:08 PM

I'm currently making a list of all the ports in the game and wha tthey buy and sell, so far I've done Europe. As you cannot attach files to posts in Games Discussion (why btw?) I can't share it with you right now but I'll upload it somewhere when I'm finished.

TaloN 13-03-2005 04:10 PM

i never enjoyed this game, found it repetative and boring.

Mad-E-Fact 13-03-2005 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bobbin+Mar 13 2005, 01:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bobbin @ Mar 13 2005, 01:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Reaper@Mar 13 2005, 08:14 AM
but i don't really want to know how Max Design came upon this name :blink: [/b][/quote]
Why not? ;) In 1869 the Suez Canal was opened, shortening the way from Europe to India by about 7000km, as ships didn't have to go around all of Africa anymore. That was quite an impressive milestone in the history of seafare, that's why Maxis probably chose the name.

Chris 13-03-2005 05:06 PM

wow! i couldn't image there was such a background. should have payed more attention to my history lessons after all... :cry:

Guest_Matt 14-03-2005 07:24 AM

:help:

Thanks very much for making the game available. I'm a bit stuck though. I've selected my home port, but I don't know if I've got a vessel, or how to sail to other ports. Is there a drop down menu somewhere, because at the moment all I can do is buy one load of goods from the home port trader.

Thanks for any assistance!

Guest 14-03-2005 12:13 PM

I too have run into a bit of a problem, I seem to be unable to save. I click the save button and nothing happens.

Chris 14-03-2005 12:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks very much for making the game available. I'm a bit stuck though. I've selected my home port, but I don't know if I've got a vessel, or how to sail to other ports. Is there a drop down menu somewhere, because at the moment all I can do is buy one load of goods from the home port trader.
1. right-click on your home port, a small menu appears

2. select the anchor, you'll get to the shipping company

3. ask for used ships, select the sailboat, pay for your boat, leave

4. when the ship has arrived (2 days later), go to the tavern (right-click on port, beerglass)

5. ask for an average crew, hire the men

Now you've got your first ship ready for departure. Buy some goods, sail the seas, earn MUCH money... LOL

Chris 14-03-2005 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest@Mar 14 2005, 02:13 PM
I too have run into a bit of a problem, I seem to be unable to save. I click the save button and nothing happens.
that's a bit tricky, but not difficult. just take a look at the picture:

http://img24.exs.cx/img24/6523/1869save2nf.png

Guest 14-03-2005 06:43 PM

i need some help for running the game. i used to play it on amiga several years ago.

i don't know the namer of the ship the asking for at the beginning and i can't find any clues in the files i downloaded. can someone please help me.

Chris 14-03-2005 07:18 PM

just type in anything. the game is cracked and accepts every answer

duke 14-03-2005 07:39 PM

thanks a lot

i posted it.

Bart 18-03-2005 03:37 AM

Hi I keep getting booted from my ship for not paying my taxes I think. How do you pay your taxes?

Chris 18-03-2005 12:54 PM

taxes are paid from the money at your home port. so be always sure to have enough money there.

Game Phre&#124;&lt; 23-03-2005 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bobbin+Mar 14 2005, 02:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bobbin @ Mar 14 2005, 02:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Guest@Mar 14 2005, 02:13 PM
I too have run into a bit of a problem, I seem to be unable to save.* I click the save button and nothing happens.
that's a bit tricky, but not difficult. just take a look at the picture:

http://img24.exs.cx/img24/6523/1869save2nf.png [/b][/quote]
:blink: :Brain: That was hilarious.

Zapking 27-03-2005 10:39 AM

I still have problems with saving!

Zapking 27-03-2005 10:45 AM

I found the solution. I downloaded the game from another site. Then it worked.

Guest_athcnv 14-04-2005 04:23 PM

I finally worked out how to play the game! (Maybe I shouldn't have voted to give the game a score of 1....)

1: Any time there is a number on the screen, left/right clicking on it will increase/decrease it. (I'm too used to games with arrows buttons.

2: If you start in a European port, there should be a war going on in Odessa. Your best bet is to get a second hand ship, a top-notch crew, go to Hamburg, buy 35 tons of arms, save the game, then Gun-run! Note: sometimes, you'll run into a naval vessel blockading the port, and your cargo will be confiscated (can't remember if you lose all your money as well). If this happens, reload. If this keeps on happening, put some money on the ship, and stop off in Tangiers before going to Odessa. In a year, you should have about 20000.

3: Then, I think you have to pay for info from the bars (where you go to recruit crew), to find the best routes. Annoyingly, places will only take so much stuff - the route keeps changing, so keep asking!

athcnv 11-05-2005 08:35 PM

Nope, still can't work out how to play the game and win once the war in Odessa is over. Just too hard trying to buy goods and sell ALL of them at a profit.

minhtuan 10-06-2005 04:15 PM

Wow, great tips from Athcnv. Now I understand why I always be the worst trader after a year. Simple trading is not the way. I tried London-Lagos-Capetown (Africa in general) and just barely cover the repairing expenses.

Rachel 12-06-2005 04:22 PM

This is a rewarding game if you have the patience. I've found that the key is upgrading the hold of your ship as soon as you can afford it in order to maximise profit. Can someone give me some advice though - I have trouble paying my taxes... I keep enough money in my homeport warehouse, but it it won't automatically pay off my taxes when they're due...

Morton 16-06-2005 01:31 AM

Guys, I have tried for hours to make money in this game without using the save and try to gun run method, nothing leads to me making money. Please somebody post a productive route otherwise Im afraid Ill be giving this one up (which I dont want to do, I want to have several shipping lines!)

El_Chris 26-07-2005 04:11 PM

Hi Folks,

I'm remembering something like a stream map for that game - for that it makes difference whether you're sailing with or against the stream in the sea.
I've searched the internet, but couln't find something about such a map belonging to the game - do you know something about different times that it takes in average to sail from A->B vs. B->A?

Many thanks in advance,
Chris

GunshySlycat1 19-10-2005 06:55 PM

I'm liking this game 3/5 There's a trainer out there for this game, but I'm not sure how to work it since both screens have to be open in the same time... Anyway, It's a good-average game, but just not my cup of tea.

skittles04 26-10-2005 08:31 PM

Can somebody any body help me work out the user controls ... i got no bloody idea what to do .... i mean i understand its a sim but the controls are just not user friendly at all i dont know how to get from one port to another .... do u start off with ur own ship or do u gots to build one if u gots to build or buy one where do u do that from.

Noah Body 12-11-2005 03:21 AM

To get a ship and get started, see the instructions on the 1st page of this forum near the bottom.

What I need to know how to do is discharge a crew.

->Noah

yepp 19-11-2005 08:52 PM

Just reduce your crews pay enough, and they will leave.

yepp 19-11-2005 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by skittles04@Oct 26 2005, 08:31 PM
Can somebody any body help me work out the user controls ... i got no bloody idea what to do .... i mean i understand its a sim but the controls are just not user friendly at all i dont know how to get from one port to another .... do u start off with ur own ship or do u gots to build one if u gots to build or buy one where do u do that from.
right-click everything! it ain't so bad when you get the hang of it. took me some time, though

otis1812 22-11-2005 07:56 AM

Hi all.
I just started the game, followed all the instructions on page 1 and still unable to set sail.

HELP!

Arctic 08-12-2005 04:35 AM

A good trading route is melbourne-singapore with textiles from melbourne and india rubber from singapore to melbourne. And when u go to Australia, sell wine in melbourne. When Melbourne doesnt want more india rubber sail to rangoon with textiles and rare wood back to sidney.

Guest 28-01-2006 02:16 PM

how do i set sail?i mean to go from one port to another plz help

Master MC 28-01-2006 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guest@Jan 28 2006, 05:16 PM
Go to page 1 of this forum, your question has already been asked/answered.

Guest 28-01-2006 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Master MC+Jan 28 2006, 03:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Master MC @ Jan 28 2006, 03:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Guest@Jan 28 2006, 05:16 PM
Go to page 1 of this forum, your question has already been asked/answered. [/b][/quote]
i know how to buy ships but i dont know how to go to anothey port

Master MC 30-01-2006 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bobbin@Mar 14 2005, 03:16 PM
Quote:

4. when the ship has arrived (2 days later), go to the tavern (right-click on port, beerglass)

Now you've got your first ship ready for departure. Buy some goods, sail the seas, earn MUCH money... LOL

Sigh, then I will quote it.

Sammy 02-02-2006 06:15 AM

Anyone find a lucrative trade route yet? I've got one based out of LA (tools to shanghai) , then spices from Mandao back to LA. Only problem is, I have to ship the money back to NYC - just repairing the 2nd hand ship I use to do this with is eating in my profits BIG time... :cry:

Drake 02-02-2006 05:05 PM

Fun game, funner now that I know how to decrease numbers.

Anyways, you have to think historically to make a profit. It sort of means you have to know a little about this era in order to survive, a few big time routes I know off hand are:

Tea from India to London
Cotton from Savannah or Port Said to London

Both are historical; Tea was a major item for the British, and Cotton was in it's "booming period" and will remain so until 1865. After that the price drops.

You can also smuggle arms, as someone mentioned. It's very lucrative, and there are three times in this game where wars break out, allowing you to smuggle arms.

Crimean War - Ship arms to Odessa
Opium War - Ship arms to Macao
Civil War - Ship arms to Savannah or New Orelans (Not so sure on this one)

tycoon2b 03-02-2006 08:02 PM

Has anyone ever found a port that has passengers wanting to book passage on a ship? Afterall, the game does have passenger carrying ships.

Also, are steamships any faster than the sail boats?

Sammy 03-02-2006 08:15 PM

Yeah, I did Odessa, India, Macao and even Tangiers for a bit as an arms smuggler (US Civil War didn't create a market for arms though - strange). Lots of money there - the real challenge is to find a good "legit" trade route after the wars die down.

Another route I found was:
New Orleans (Textiles) to Arica, Chile
Arica (Saltpieter) to NYC.

I'll try the London tea trade though - thanks Drake!

It's a bloodly long route though...takes 5-6 months by sail, so get a big ship to maximize the trade!

Guest 05-02-2006 05:24 PM

Here're a couple of my favorite routes (some of these ports will be unrest, so you must include the risk):

1. Buy clothes in Amsterdam, sell it in Bombay, sail to Macao, where you can buy silk (get as much, as you can, it's very expensive, but it's worth your time and money). Now sail to Le Havre or better to Hamburg, where the price is higher. Notice: if you have a ship with passenger - cabins you can start your route in Liverpool, where you'll sometimes get passengers to Bombay; you can also start in Hamburg (passengers to Rangoon).

2. Buy some machines in London and some clothes in Amsterdam. Sail to Barcelona, sell machines, buy tools. Next, sail to Accra, sell tools and clothes, buy ivory. Finally, sail to Amsterdam or Liverpool, where you can sell the ivory (in Liverpool the price is lower, but they'll actually buy any quantition of it).

3. Buy clothes in Amsterdam, sell it in Luanda, where you should buy as much india rubber as they have and some rare wood in addiction. Now sail to Hamburg and sell your goods.

4. Buy arms in Hamburg and machines in London, sail to Barcelona,sell machines, buy tools, sail to Tunis, sell some arms, buy fruit, sail to Trieste, sell fruit, buy more tools, sail to Port Said, sell arms and tools, buy cotton, sail to Odessa, sell cotton, buy vegetable oil, sail to Amsterdam and sell the vegetable oil. Notice: sometimes in some ports they haven't any goods to sell, and you must change your plans. For example: if there isn't any vegetable oil in Odessa, you can try to buy cotton in Port Said or fruit in Tunis again, and you'll sell it in London. After 1869 cheaper vegetable oil in Tanga and cotton in Bombay and Diu (as I remember) are at your hand.

5. If you need a quick money: buy wine in Le Havre, sell it in Hamburg, now back to Le Havre, buy wine again and sell it in Liverpool. If you have some luck, you can do it many times. Notice: if you have an iron ship, it will be not overgrowth by the barnacles and it will not take any water, so you don't have to visit the shipyard.

Never forget about "special contracts" (I forgot what is it's real name in the game): bring tea to London and wool to Los Angeles.

Remember: bigger ship or more ships means higher taxes, so don't build/buy more ships than you really need. Three to five ships is an optimal number to me: first on the Europe - Africa routes, second: Europe - Asia (Far East); third: Asia - Australia - North America; fourth (optionally): the Americas. After 1869 the fifth ship can sail from Europe to East Africa and India, and the first one from Europe to West Africa only.

Build branches if you have enough money. It will help you to sell more goods, check and compare prices and get informations about "special contracts" and passengers to take.

IMHO it's one of the greatest business sims ever and I'm still waiting for "1869: Reloaded" or even "1869: Revolutions". ;-)

Guest 11-02-2006 12:29 AM

If you decide to do any Tea trading to London, get a good crew. Tea will spoil after a certain period of time, as will cotton.

Icewolf 13-02-2006 04:04 PM

Another good thing is to turn the captain's order to
hard, your men can easily bear that and you are a
lot quicker.

I play this game since it was brand new and it's still.
fun. Games of that kind aren't made anymore... :cry:

Keep your ships in excellent shape! Makes you quicker
as well. :ok:

tycoon2b 14-02-2006 05:23 AM

hmm...played for a while and still haven't gotten those passenger contracts...is there anything I have to do to get them?

Guest 14-02-2006 06:49 AM

First thing is that you have to charge a shipping company
to build you a ship with cabins for passengers.
You can't get such a ship as a used one.

Next thing is that you click the assignment on the counter
of a merchant and accept the offer from the leutnant or
whatever he may be...

You won't be informed in any way wheather they left
the ship or not. You just see that your cabins are empty
so they supposedly left... LOL

tycoon2b 18-02-2006 03:38 PM

Ah I see! The missions are posted at the counter...I thought they were part of the background before. Thanks for the tip.

Bertram 22-02-2006 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by El_Chris@Jul 26 2005, 04:11 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm remembering something like a stream map for that game - for that it makes difference whether you're sailing with or against the stream in the sea.
I've searched the internet, but couln't find something about such a map belonging to the game - do you know something about different times that it takes in average to sail from A->B vs. B->A?

Many thanks in advance,
Chris

I do remember it well this map. there were even possibilities for storms and no wind during summer/winter periode. but to find out just take an atlas or globus showing the stream lines. Wind is also possible to find out by using todays maps...
The handbook comming with the game in 92 was really nice and offered a lot of help. i still own it somewhere locked up in a cuppord, i just don't own a scanner to help you out...

lg
bertram

Icewolf 23-02-2006 11:33 AM

I could scan and upload the maps, cause I have the original manual.
If there isn't any already on the site...

Admins?

Adaman 23-02-2006 03:25 PM

I have been trying to figure out the auction...Whenever you start a game with more than 1 player, we get an auction screen. During this auction there is 1 ship available for purchase by every player(assuming everybody co-operates). The only problem is...during the auction no keys work and there doesn't seem to be anything you can click on. It is entirely possible we are just missing something but I would like some help, if possible.

Furthermore, does anyone know where to get a manual for this game? Online I mean, preferably in .pdf format, although it doesn't matter as long as pertinent information is all there. It wouldn't even matter to me if it was in German or another foreign language.

Icewolf 23-02-2006 03:33 PM

I'm currently requesting the admins if they want to have parts of my German manual. I'm not quite sure about the auctions, I think you can click somehow for your bidding.

Patrick 27-02-2006 04:17 PM

hey i found a 1869 trainer. but i dunno how to use it. anyone can help?

Icewolf 28-02-2006 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Patrick@Feb 27 2006, 06:17 PM
hey i found a 1869 trainer. but i dunno how to use it. anyone can help?
I never found it necessary to cheat this game, so I terribly have no clue... :bleh: :tomato:

Patrick 28-02-2006 02:36 PM

You're right. theres no need to cheat in this game. And i only realised there was a trainer after reading up in the forum. I just thought having a trainer around would help try out some crazy ideas i have in mind, which im currently unable to execute due to financial constraints. Trainers can help discover alot of stuff in a game.

Icewolf 01-03-2006 08:29 AM

Sorry for that... :blink:
There's not too much to discover about that game.
The only thing I could remember to discover with a trainer is the different looks of the branches and the main building when your company increases in value.
Different ships probably.
But isn't that the appeal to play a game to become better?!
Quote:

Originally posted by Patrick
try out some crazy ideas i have in mind, which im currently unable to execute due to financial constraints.
Tell me if you've succeeded... :ok:

EucherJack 20-04-2006 05:28 AM

In regards to the bidding for multiplayer mode, just click on the player names to bid.

Chris 20-04-2006 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Icewolf@Feb 23 2006, 02:33 PM
I could scan and upload the maps, cause I have the original manual.
If there isn't any already on the site...

Admins?

when I wrote the review, we decided no to put the maps on the site, as the are part of the german manual. Meanwhile I changed my opinion. The game is much more playable having the maps. So I consider it a good idea to post them here. :ok:

Blues 06-05-2006 05:00 PM

Can u help me?

Why i have a lot of "various losses" if a make good bussines?

Japo 07-05-2006 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Blues@May 6 2006, 07:00 PM
Why i have a lot of "various losses" if a make good bussines?
This game simulates real business. Unlike in other more strategic, less simulating games, there occur many costs. Not only you must be sure that you sell at higher prices than you buy, you must also be sure that this pays for everything: crew, loan interests, etc.

arzneikuerbis 13-07-2006 04:59 PM

hi folks,

i still have problem's with saving, although i already tried 3 downloads. everything else works. Oh, and i did give the save a name, just nothing happens when i press the save button.

thanks,

martin

Abi79 13-07-2006 05:52 PM

So you enter a name, click save and nothing happens? Are the game's folders read-only?
(note: I've managed to save)

Guest 14-07-2006 12:57 PM

It's exactly how you described it. I enter a name, click save and nothing happens. I checked the game's folder, it's not read only. Any suggestions?

viele Grüße aus Köln :-)

Icewolf 17-07-2006 10:37 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Jul 14 2006, 02:57 PM) [snapback]243279[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

It's exactly how you described it. I enter a name, click save and nothing happens. I checked the game's folder, it's not read only. Any suggestions?

viele Grüße aus Köln :-)
[/b]
Köln, wie? Allaaf!

That's about the order of typing the savegame name and pressing save. There's no extra screen for that. Below that statue there is a black bar where you type in the the name and then simply press save.
I'm not quite sure if you have a select a save slot before.

Report back if that helped, I know that game very well.

Edit: Sorry for not reading too precisely what Abi wrote...

Abi79 17-07-2006 10:39 AM

Quote:

I'm not quite sure if you have a select a save slot before.[/b]
You don't. The only thing you need to do is to type something below the statue and press 'save'.

arzneikuerbis 18-07-2006 10:22 AM

That's what I did. But nothing happens. Perhaps someone could give me a link to a valid download. Maybe there is something wrong with the zipped file.

Abi79 18-07-2006 10:28 AM

From where have you downloaded the game? Abandonia? If yes, then be assured that there's no problem with it. That's the one I used also to save.

Guest_Axel_* 21-08-2006 05:11 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Abi79 @ Jul 18 2006, 10:28 AM) [snapback]243738[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

From where have you downloaded the game? Abandonia? If yes, then be assured that there's no problem with it. That's the one I used also to save.
[/b]
Well i do have the same problem saving the game on my pc.. however the same version (from abandonia) works without any probs on my laptop... dont have a clue why... it just doesnt seem to be the game itself...

the highest profit route is discovered is wool from Sidney to LA... abt 2.000$ profit for a 450 tons ship... trade between LA/SF and Asia is highly profitable, you just need to find a way to transfer the surplus to your home port once in a while...
steam ships will be much more profitable once the suez canal is opened in 1869... especially when transporting tea from bombay to london...
i always try to avoid big ships (700+ tons) to be able to sell all stock at once... otherwise u have to travel too many short routes which dont gain enough profit...

Guest 05-09-2006 10:57 PM

now im not sure do i understand this game correctly... basicly i like it but its seems like its all just a slow downhill when it comes to mony... i try to find the places to sell and by but they r too far to make any profit when u have to repair youre ship and if i take loan i never can pay back cause of this fukin annoying everyplace is toofaranddoesndbyuorsellenoughortheyrobmeorwhatfuk inever-thingie it just makes me wanna smash things.. nice game but fuking hell *meep* this muck..

Icewolf 06-09-2006 07:13 AM

Repair your ship very, very frequently. Lower than 80% I never estimated as acceptable.

There are quite short, profitable routes. Tools to Cayenne and then rare wood back to europe for example.

It's not that hard... ^_^ :ok:

Guest 24-11-2006 01:39 PM

Hello!

I am great fun of this game since 1993 (Amiga times) I am playing it frequently - even now.

I got some advices if u want to hear. I am capable to have 5 big ships (1600 -1999 tons) and managed to reach 395k $.

As a first advice - DONT use wooden ships and dont start trade in first 3 months - Just Order a ship for 8k in London ( iron one- brig) then, before Shipyard finish it, get a loan, then pay for ship - recruit "dig in" crew , go to Lehavre, buy Wine, set sail to Melbourne- sell wine, buy Textilies ( be sure ur crew is rested) then go to Singapore, then to Melbourne, then to singapore, and be sure to check time on Loan extend.
After this, you will get around 15k, with no loan and plenty of cash to start new bussines same way but with 2 ships :)

Martini_pl

odin 19-01-2007 10:24 AM

regarding the currents and winds: the game is all about that, too. The first time I played I kept incurring in loss after loss, while running stuff from africa to england and vice-versa. Then it ocurred to me it might model the currents and winds and I looked up a stream chart on the internet.

Indeed, it will take the same ship over two months to go from Luanda to Portugal, but less than two weeks to go from Rio de Janeiro to Cape Town. Or Less than forty days to sail from Liverpool to Rio de Janeiro, for that matter. It was not because of the fancy of it that the portuguese came close to the brazilian coast when en route to asia, it is faster to approach the americas and then go to capetown and cross to the indian ocean than to go coasting africa. At least when sailing. I don't know how a steam ship would respond.

anyway. I only played twice and the second time I played I started to make some money running machines to rio de janeiro (from London). I couldn't figure out how to save the game then, tough. Going to try again today! :)

A very nice game. Anybody has heard any sounds/tunes on it? It doesn't play any sounds on my machine, albeit there is a directory called SND. I see no sound configuration utility or menu though. Not really a surprise given how STUPID the game interface is. Probably the worst ever. By far.

Icewolf 19-01-2007 11:15 AM

That saving issue has been discussed before I remember. Search in this forum or in Troubleshooting for a solution.

But I don't see anything wrong with the 1869 interface. It just fully uses the "those-days" opportunities of the mouse. Left-click and right-click.
Maybe you just need an excuse for doing not so good...? :bleh: ;)

odin 20-01-2007 12:00 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Icewolf @ Jan 19 2007, 12:15 PM) [snapback]275630[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

But I don't see anything wrong with the 1869 interface.
[/b]
Then I am the one-eyed in the land of the blind. You may address me as 'My King'! :brain:

Seriously, now. Where are those current and weather charts that someone volunteered to upload and the admin said ok? Can't wait to get my hands on those even if they're in german. Das ist nicht ein sehr schwierig sprache, after all :bleh:

Icewolf 22-01-2007 01:36 PM

That was actually me uploading those cards in german.
I sent them to an abandonia-email-adress.
They haven't been uploaded by now and I sent it like last May... :angry:

The Fifth Horseman 22-01-2007 02:11 PM

Contact the admins about that. Files sometimes get lost or misplaced on the server.

odin 22-01-2007 04:13 PM

would you mail me those files, Icewolf? If yes I'll pm you with a gmail account address. Gmail should be able to hold large files :ok:

Icewolf 23-01-2007 11:53 AM

I asked the admins if they still have the images. If not, I'll have to check my harddisk if I still have them. Otherwise I have to scan them once more. <_<

Guest 15-02-2007 08:38 AM

HEUREKA!!
I had the same problem like others, couldn't save. After a lot of trying and loading on an other computer (without success) I now have found the conclusion. For some reason the zip doesn't automatically extract the Game folder together with the other dates!
(Look into your folder Gr_1869, if there is no game folder, you shouldn't be able to save)
If that happens to you, just extract the game folder SEPARATELY into the Gr_1869 folder. Then you can plöay ans save. Good luck :)

Guest 15-02-2007 08:51 AM

An additional remark to my post HEUREKA
You don't see the saved games in the big black box, but if you click on the positions they should be, you can read the names under which you have saved in the otherwise empty grey field under the black box. If you have found the game you want to load, simply click on the grey field with LOAD.

Guest 05-05-2007 08:20 AM

Quote:

Now you've got your first ship ready for departure. Buy some goods, sail the seas, earn MUCH money... laughing.gif
[/b]
I read the instructions on page 1. I hired the men and asked for an average crew. How do I actually move my ship to Amsterdam? Right click the port? Doesn't work.

Icewolf 07-05-2007 08:56 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ May 5 2007, 10:20 AM) [snapback]289283[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

I read the instructions on page 1. I hired the men and asked for an average crew. How do I actually move my ship to Amsterdam? Right click the port? Doesn't work.[/b]
No, it's not right-click on the harbour. ^_^ It's right-click on the ship (lower left corner, pretty big). :ok:

Guest 08-05-2007 06:03 AM

I right-clicked on the ship but all I got was a screen showing the load, crew and condition. Nothing to move to another port.

Icewolf 09-05-2007 09:50 AM

Oh, sorry. Was it left-click then? :huh:
You need to get a yellow cursor with a compass rose. A ship appears and it's name and shape in percentage.

EDIT: There's the manual available on the site if you like to.

Guest 10-05-2007 05:12 PM

I worked it out. Thanks alot :D

Icewolf 11-05-2007 07:17 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ May 10 2007, 07:12 PM) [snapback]289852[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

I worked it out. Thanks alot :D[/b]
Good to hear. Was my hint right in the end?! :D

Guest 12-05-2007 07:23 AM

Yeah, the left click thing.

Fábio 25-05-2007 11:53 AM

I found the full manual! :brain:

In that site: www.lemonamiga.com

It's an Amiga version, but the manual is for both the plataforms.

Thenks everybody for the tips & triks :ok:

Guest 31-05-2007 02:07 AM

oh cmon, this one isnt starting either.....this sux :wallbash:

Icewolf 31-05-2007 08:45 AM

OK:
  • What
  • Who
  • Where
  • When
  • Why
are the the W's you have to tell us to make us able to help you.
This:<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ May 31 2007, 04:07 AM) [snapback]292250[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

oh cmon, this one isnt starting either.....this sux :wallbash:[/b]
is little contributive nor constructive.

Now. Round 2! Write!

The Fifth Horseman 31-05-2007 01:13 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ May 31 2007, 04:07 AM) [snapback]292250[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

oh cmon, this one isnt starting either.....this sux :wallbash:
[/b]
Your problem description is insufficient for us to provide a proper answer.

Please answer the following questions:
1. What operating system do you have?
2. Did you try using VDMSound or DosBox to run the game?
3. What exact steps did you follow when trying to run the game?

Raj 30-07-2007 03:02 AM

If someone has them, could you please post a link or links where stream/weather charts could be found. Apparently, I can't seem to type in the right terms to come up with something. Thanks

Katagua 06-08-2007 05:37 PM

First of all I really would like to thank the guys from Abondonia for this forum. I have played 1869 on and off, but I never managed to stay in business. Last night however I only sailed between Liverpool and Western Africa and after a couple of years going up and down I managed to make a steady profit of $1500.
It already appeared to me that sailing to Africa takes a lot longer than sailing from Africa. Now I know the current and wind directions throughout most of the year for the Atlantic, but the Pacific is really unknown to me, so once again I REALLY would like to have those current and flow charts available.
Adding to that I would like to say that the manual on the site right now isn't very good. Since the official manual is available (in text) I recommend placing that one on the site (see one the of the previous posts).
For the buy and sell prices I recommend the following site: www.1869.de.to This site has ALL the prices, where the list on your site is missing out on some season-dependent goods.
One last thing that I really would like to know, which isn't mentioned in the official manual either, is when the tea, fruit and cotton, (vegetable oil ?) is harvested. Also the time to rot of these goods would be useful to know. (Is taken on water of any influence?).
For those who have answers, or the flow charts (want it want it want it), already thanks for your help!

Katagua 07-08-2007 10:13 AM

In addition to my last post, the data for production of fruit, vegi oil, tea and cotton:

cotton: november until february and juni until august, stays okey for 4 month (same as the amount of month it is available each time)
fruit: jan, feb, apr, may, jul, aug, oct, nov, stays okey for 2 month
tea: half march until half juli, stays okey for 4 month
vegetable oil: april-june, oct-dec, stays okey for 3,5 month (?)

Taken on water has no effect on the rottingprocess.

Guest 07-08-2007 10:56 AM

I just found out that the post above isn't correct, as I have only used data from a few harbours, these cotton/fruit and vegetable oil are based on the mediteranian. In the USA harvesting is in other months. I will try to put together a complete list of all seasonable products and their production towns and the months that they are produced.

Icewolf 08-08-2007 09:46 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 7 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]303362[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

I will try to put together a complete list of all seasonable products and their production towns and the months that they are produced.[/b]
No need to.
I think the harvesting seasons are mentioned in the manual. But I might be wrong... :tomato:

Guest 14-08-2007 01:28 AM

Today i have finished the game,here a few tips:

1)DONT buy wood ship! Only Iron
2)The Brig is one of the best ship at low price
3)Put crew ordes to Hard
4)Repair your ship when the condition is 80 or below
5)At the begining is very important to sell arms to Odessa

Here some trade ruote if you start in new york:

Machines from New York to New Orleans
Texile from New Orlenas to P.Bello--Coffe from here to NewOrleans
Machines from New York to Rio--Coal from here to NY or Saltpetre from Arica to NY
Machines from SanFran to Shangay--Coal from here to SF
Machines from Melurne to Bombay--I.Rubber from Colombo to Melburne
And there are many otheres starting fron SF or LA

nick123 09-12-2007 01:58 PM

harvest chart

After quite a busy period I finally managed to complete the harvest chart as I intended to. It is a simple word file, with only the harvest goods in it (caccao,coffee, cotton, fruit, tea, tobacco, veg. oil) and the places where and when it can be bought.
Now I just need to know where I should post this chart so that it can be added to the site/manual/somewhere else.

Icewolf 10-12-2007 08:20 AM

Lads!
There already is a quite complete trading chart on the site! :(

katagua 10-12-2007 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icewolf (Post 313606)
Lads!
There already is a quite complete trading chart on the site! :(

Icewolf you aren't reading very well.
This is about the harvesting, not about the prices.
The harvesting chart is to make sure you don't sail to e.g. Port Said in september to get cotton, because they don't sell it in sept/oct

The other thing, the trading chart:
Quite a lot of prices are still missing:
Bombay sells tea at 12,20
Lagos sells cocoa at 15,80
Odessa sells veg. oil at 3,20
Port Said sells cotton at 4,80
Puerto Bello sells coffee at 14,40
Rio de Janeiro sells cocoa at 13,50
Tanga sells veg. oil at 2,40 (!)
Tunis sells Fruit at 16,10

The entire city of Diu (north of Bombay) is missing in the chart:
sells cotton at 3,60
sells tobacco at 13,50 (!)
buys textille at 17,80

efi 27-04-2008 11:38 AM

I'm searching for this cards,too.I couldn't find it anywhere here.
Do you konw where there are posted,if they are?
Otherwise would you mail me this cards,if you still have them?

thanks!

efi 27-04-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efi (Post 324449)
I'm searching for this cards,too.I couldn't find it anywhere here.
Do you konw where there are posted,if they are?
Otherwise would you mail me this cards,if you still have them?

thanks!

Oh, I'm searching for the weather/stream cards,of course.
I read that ICEWOLF has posted them some time ago.
SO if anyone here has this cards, I would be very happy to
get them...

thanks a lot

Icewolf 28-04-2008 07:39 AM

I have to look up if I still have the scanned docs.
I thought they've already been uploaded...? :huh:

digitCruncher 03-10-2008 01:53 AM

I can't seem to get the hang of this game... I seem to always run into BIG financial difficulty...

Somehow, I can lose over $12,000 in just 4 years!!

Anyway, just for people to point out where I am going wrong, here is what I did in my last successful game, which would have put me JUST with enough money to pay for my taxes for the 4th year (alas, I would have a mutiny of a crew at those low rates >.<)

Step #1: Buy the cheapest second hand ship.
Step #2: Recruit a cheap (but not the cheapest) crew
Step #3: In America, get a 3-way trade route:

Machines(New York) -> New Orleans. Textiles (New Orleans) -> Puerto Beurto. New Orleans sometimes accepts coffee: Which I give from Puerto Beurto the next way around... and I do so immediately, so it doesn't go "off"). This lasts 3 rounds, until New Orleans simultaniously gets enough Machines and Coffee to survive, and doesn't accept any more.

Step #4: Even with a massive profit from what seems like a great trade, I am still losing money. So, after making 2 more textile runs between New Orleans and Puerto Beurto, I try a new trade route:

Tobacco( Savannah) -> London. Tools(London) -> Cayenne. [With good winds, this can take less than 20 days (!?)] Wood(Cayenne) -> New York. Machines(New york) -> Savannah.

But again, SOMEHOW, this loses me money, again. I know this because each trip takes around 6 months. (And the previous ones took 4 months), so this means that now, I have a net worth of just over $4000 ($3000 in my ship, $1000 in other goods). After Cayenne stopped accepting tools, and New York stopped accepting wood (at the same time), I decided to do one last ditch effort. I pick up my last bits of wood and tools, and head for Havana (which accepts both)

But, unfortunatly, I run into some rebels, who take ALL my stuff. I ask for a bank loan, pay my crew almost nothing, and manage to get back with only a few cents in my coffers.

Finally, I think. My ship is almost falling apart, so I pay to offset some water so it doesn't sink (its 49% sunk, or something), and head to do my textile trade, which JUST pays off... before Puerto stops accepting Textiles.

I then grab what little money I have, and go to Caynenne again, for some wood. I nearly get to New York, which accepts a tiny amount of wood, and if I was able to get there before the Jan 1 cut-off date, I would be able to sell it, and get JUST enough money to pay my taxes (But not enough to pay my crew to go... anywhere, really). Alas, I arrive (by my reconning), about 2 days - 1 week late, and lose the game.

What am I doing wrong. By my reckoning, I should be racking in the dough for finding such insane, close, trades which all yeilded about $1000 a month!! Unfortunatly, with my ship costing that much in maintanance, and me unable to buy a new ship... I am stuck...

[Edit]Due to a bug, I accidentally jumped forward 2 years by mistake... and you wouldn't believe it...

I lost LESS money doing NOTHING than if I was trading. I don't lose much money from raids in unstable places (in that game, I lost around... ooo... $1000 in 4 years from raids (not including the tools / wood I lost). But... where is my money going then?? I saved close to $2500, each year, doing NOTHING.[/Edit]

Capo 03-10-2008 04:35 PM

Post 99 is very interesting :max:

Alois_Bembel 16-11-2008 03:59 PM

English version at the bottom of this posting.

Ich habe 1869 im Jahre 1993 für 120 DM gekauft und spiele es heute noch mit Begeisterung. Mein Rekord liegt bei Spielende bei 913.863,30 $
Beim Spiel gehe ich folgendermaßen vor: Ich wähle Liverpool als HQ und kaufe für 4900 $ ein gebrauchtes Schiff. Dann fahre ich nach Le Havre, kaufe dort etwas Wein, verkaufe ihn in Hamburg, habe dadurch ein paar kleine Dollars verdient und kaufe dann 31 Kisten Waffen (zu mehr reicht das Geld noch nicht) und abspeichern. Dann fahre ich nach Odessa und verkaufe diese. Dann nach Tunis, und falls es dort keine Früchte gibt, leer nach Le Havre, dort das Schiff reparieren lassen (ist dort in Europa am günstigsten). Wein nach Hamburg, Waffen nach Odessa usw. bis April 1856. Zwischendurch natürlich Geld ins HQ einzahlen, wegen den Steuern. So wenig wie möglich vom Waffenverkauf ablenken lassen, das ist leicht verdientes Geld.
Nach dem Krieg sollte man Elfenbein in Akkra kaufen und dieses in Amsterdam und Liverpool verkaufen. Man kann in Liverpool. ruhig auch mal was davon einlagern, ebenso Wein. Man kann auch zwischendurch nach Barcelona fahren und dort Maschinen verkaufen, Werkzeug einkaufen, in Port Said verkaufen, Baumwolle nach Odessa, Pflanzenöl nach Amsterdam. Das wäre ein guter innereuropäischer Binnenverkehr. Das Schiff sollte man ständig warten, sobald es 89 % hat.

Zusätzlich kann man auch mal Textilien nach Kapstadt fahren, von dort Kohle nach New York, dann Maschinen nach Savannah, um dann dort das Schiff warten zu lassen (ist dort billiger als in NY.)

Man sollte sein Geld immer in neue Schiffe investieren, da man es ja nicht zur Bank bringen kann. Meine Schiffe sind zum Teil die Klipper mit 1500 Tons bzw. Eisendampfschiffe mit 1601 Tons. Dazu noch ein mittleres Schiff für den Nahverkehr. Die Riesenschiffe mit 1999 Tons lohnen sich m.E. nicht, da man ein so großes, volles Schiff nie auf Anhieb leer bekommt. Meine Flotte umfaßt in den 70er-Jahren 8 Schiffe, wovon keines älter als 9 Jahre ist. Das Baujahr vergisst man nicht, wenn man dieses im Schiffsnamen unterbringt.

Die besten Handelsrouten sind:

Seide: egal wohin, z.B. wird in LA weniger bezahlt, aber die Route ist erheblich kürzer.
Tabak: Nur in Diu kaufen, am besten in LA verkaufen.
Wein: Überall verkaufen, außer in Kapstadt, da die Wegstrecke in keinem Verhältnis zum Verkaufspreis steht. Wein immer in Liverpool und Hamburg einlagern, damit man zwischendurch immer wieder was zu verkaufen hat.
Baumwolle: Am besten von Rangoon nach LA, nach 1869 überall nach Europa
Kautschuk: nur aus Asien, Verkaufsort egal.
Elfenbein: gerade zu Beginn das beste Handelsgut
Edelholz: nur von Rangoon und nach LA, nach 1869 bevorzugt nach Odessa.
Salpeter: wenn von Arica aus, dann in NY verkaufen. Was man nicht losbekommt, in Hamburg verkaufen (es macht nichts, mit dem halbleeren Schiff über den Atlantik zu fahren, da man sowieso an NY vorbeifahren müßte.). Von Mandao aus am Besten gleich nach Hamburg fahren.
Früchte: nur als Beiladung, bevor man nichts hat, damit man wenigstens kostendeckend fährt. Man kann auch mal von Callao nach Sidney fahren, aber nicht allzu oft.
Gewürze: immer gut, am besten nach 1869 von Mosambik nach Odessa und Barcelona
Kaffee: lohnt sich nur als Beiladung auf dem Weg nach Europa. Wahrscheinlich ist im Spiel ein Fehler, denn warum sollte der Kaffee in San Francisco nur 12,50 bringen?
Kakao: Immer mal wieder nett, aber reich wird man dadurch nicht. Eher als Verlegenheitsladung geeignet, wenn man keine anderen Ideen hat.
Kohle: in Kapstadt oder Shanghai kaufen und kürzesten Weg nehmen, denn auch hier wird man nicht reich.
Maschinen: London-Kapstadt oder San Francisco-Shanghai, nach 1869 von Europa nach Bombay. Gute Ware, aber es gibt bessere.
Pflanzenöl: Am besten nur aus Odessa und in Amsterdam verkaufen
Tee: immer kaufen, wenn verfügbar, er wird einem immer aus den Händen gerissen.
Textilien: in Amsterdam kaufen und überall dort verkaufen, wo man mindestens 15,70 $ erhält.
Waffen: nicht den Fehler machen und diese gleich zu Spielbeginn in Tunis oder Port Said verkaufen, da diese sonst das ganze Spiel über nie wieder welche kaufen werden. Ansonsten anfangs in Odessa verkaufen.
Werkzeug: beste Route ist San Fancisco-Shanghai bzw. Perth.
Wolle: ganz nett, aber ein Vermögen verdient man damit nicht.
Zucker: wenn aus Habana, dann diesen nur in Odessa verkaufen, eine Amerika-Umseglung lohnt sich nicht.. Zucker aus Kapstadt oder Sidney nur in San Francisco verkaufen.

Nochmal zurück zum Kaffee: Weiß jemand, wie man die Preise editiert, damit ich in San Francisco einen angemessenen Verkaufspreis einstellen kann?

ENGLISH

I bought 1869 15 years ago and I use to play it almost every day (even today I played it). My company value record is 913.863.,30 $ and without cheating! From 1854 to 1856 I only sell arms in Odessa. After the war I sell ivory from Accra in Europe. The profit of one 159-tons cargo is about 1400 $.
Ships should always be in best condition. Maintenance is possible from 89% condition on and should be executed immediately.
Always invest your money in new ships. They should be replaced when they are nine years old. You can remember their construction year if you make it a part of the ship name. For example „Erika 65“.

IMHO best strategy of goods are:
(but remember: when I write analogously „no matter where sold“ it is not meant that you can sell it EVERYWHERE but only in every harbour that buys that article)

Cotton: From India or Rangoon to LA, after the year 1869 also to Europe
Rare Wood: only from Rangoon to LA, after 1869 also to Odessa, Hamburg, Liverpool.
Ivory: Best good in the beginning of the game
Fruits: buy only as additional cargo, if you can´t buy anything else, so that your ship will sail at least cost-covering.
Spice: it is always a good article, after 1869 prefer selling in Odessa and Barcelona
Coffee: only in Aden as an additional cargo on the way to Europe. There seems to be a bug in the game because San Francisco only pays 12,50 for it. I think it must be 22,50 $
Cocoa: Nice article if you don´t have another idea. Then buy it in Rio.
India rubber: only from Asia, no matter where sold.
Coal: Buy in Cape Town or Shanghai and sell it at the nearest coal-buying town.
Machines: London-Cape town or San Francisco-Shanghai, after 1869 from Europe to Bombay. Good article, but there are better ones.
Vegetable oil: Only from Odessa to Amsterdam. There´s no need to sail to Tanga, not even after 1869
Saltpeter: If bought in Arica then sell it both in NY and Hamburg. It´s not so bad to sail to Hamburg with an half-empty ship because you will pass NY either way.
Silk: Best article. Also sell it in LA, which pays less but the way to LA is shorter.
Tobacco: Only from Diu to LA, after 1869 also to Europe.
Tea: Don´t miss any chance to trade with it.
Clothes: buy it in Amsterdam, sell it in every harbour that pays at least 15,70 $
Arms: don´t make the mistake to sell them in Tunis or Port Said in the beginning of the game or they will never buy even one ton of arm for the rest of the game. Only smuggle them to Odessa during the war.
Wine: store them in Liverpool and Hamburg so you have always some wine for selling. It is not profitable to sell it in Cape town because it is a bad relation between length of trip and its price. But sell it in all other wine-buying harbours.
Tools:Best route is San Francisco to Shanghai and to Perth. After 1869 also from Europe to both harbours.
Wool: Nice article, but not so profitable as many players think. There are better articles from the asian screen like silk, rare wood and others.
Sugar: If bought in Habana then only sell it in Odessa because there is no need to sail around America facing the gulf stream. But sugar from Cape town and from Sidney should be sold in San Francisco.

I hope I could help you. You are allowed not to agree with me but then remember my company value record: 913.863,30 $ ;-)

Does anyone know how I can edit the prices? Because the San Francisco price for coffee is totally unrealistic and probably a bug in the game.

Capo 17-11-2008 10:09 PM

Very interesting.
Nice contribution!

Alois_Bembel 18-11-2008 08:36 PM

Ein paar Ergänzungen hab ich noch::
In Barcelona gibt es auf Anhieb nur 43 Kisten Werkzeug. Ich verkaufe dort aus dem Lager heraus immer Maschinen nach Bedarf und investiere sofort wieder in Werkzeuge. So habe ich nach wenigen Monaten eine komplette Schiffsladung der billigsten Werkzeuge der Welt. Dann brauche ich das nur noch ein Schiff abholen lassen.
Man kann diese Werkzeuge mit einem 1500-Tons-Schiff (=132 Kisten) in Tanga verkaufen, denn Tanga zahlt immerhin 127,00 amerikanische Mark :-). Was zuviel ist, gleich nach Bombay schippern und dort verkaufen. Da kann man dann auch gleich das Schiff reparieren lassen.

I have some additions to my contribution

There´s no need to buy 1999 tons ships. They are not more than gimmicks. You will never be able to use them profitably. The largest ships should have 1500 tons or 1601 tons of an iron steam ship (There´s a special model in that size, which can be built in London and NY).
A good European domestic traffic (with a smaller ship) is to sell London´s machines in Barcelona, then selling Barcelona´s tools in Port Said, then sail twice (!) to Odessa to sell Port Said´s Cotton and then buy vegetable oil in Odessa and sell it in Amsterdam.
With 1500 tons ships you will sometimes have problems with selling the cargo at once. For example cotton from Bombay: First I sail to Odessa where I sell a part of it and I buy vegetable oil to restock my ship. Then I try it in London where I also sell the oil. If London doesn´t buy anymore cotton, I sail to Le Havre, and if they don´t, I sell the rest in Liverpool.
In Barcelona you will only get 43 Boxes of tools at once. So I have a stock there, filled with machines which I sell according to requirements. I re-invest the money immediately in tools. Within a few months I have collected a full load of a big ship which only will have to collect them and sell them for example in Tanga and Bombay. A good deal with the cheapest tools in the world!

I use to have 7 ships with 1500-1601 tons and one ship with 600 tons for short-distance transports within Europe and all Atlantic ports, which should not be the job of a 1500 tons ship.

DoomYoshi 19-11-2008 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adaman (Post 203040)
I have been trying to figure out the auction...Whenever you start a game with more than 1 player, we get an auction screen. During this auction there is 1 ship available for purchase by every player(assuming everybody co-operates). The only problem is...during the auction no keys work and there doesn't seem to be anything you can click on. It is entirely possible we are just missing something but I would like some help, if possible.

Furthermore, does anyone know where to get a manual for this game? Online I mean, preferably in .pdf format, although it doesn't matter as long as pertinent information is all there. It wouldn't even matter to me if it was in German or another foreign language.

This is my post. Could I have this name merged with my current one? Sorry if this isn't the correct place for this, I was just amazed when I came across it.

StrangeGame 06-05-2009 02:50 AM

Don't Get It

Has anyone managed to play this game?

I have absolutely no idea how to do it an I've tried EVERYTHING. Reading the Manual was of no help whatsoever.

I've figured out how to make the days pass, take loans, talk at the tavern, get information about locations, scroll at the world map, get to the shipyard, get to that odd monument screen, open the main menu, see report and get to the warehouse, but have got no idea how to actually trade...

Capo 09-05-2009 06:06 PM

@StrangeGame :
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/sho...0&postcount=99

HuronKing 11-05-2009 02:43 AM

Hey,

Can anyone please help me? I downloaded the game from this site and when unzipped it but when I tried to load the application it would open a red flickering box which says "PC display settings correct?" before my whole monitor goes black.

I have a standard Windows XP.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix it please?

dosraider 11-05-2009 04:20 AM

Run the game in dosbox.

HuronKing 12-05-2009 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dosraider (Post 363748)
Run the game in dosbox.

I hate to be a noob, but how do I do that?

El Quia 12-05-2009 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuronKing (Post 363898)
I hate to be a noob, but how do I do that?

By reading this. And following its instructions, of course. Hope it helps!

HuronKing 12-05-2009 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Quia (Post 363909)
By reading this. And following its instructions, of course. Hope it helps!

Thanks a bunch. I played this game a few years ago on my old computer and I am so glad to play it again. It has such atmosphere that I love it. Wish they would remake it (and fix some of the interface problems).

StrangeGame 13-05-2009 08:34 PM

I don't see

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capo (Post 363561)

Capo, I don't see at your link a description on how to sail.

Capo 14-05-2009 03:07 PM

I dont remember a lot of this game but when you have the ship and the crew you're ready to sail, just click around, im sure you will figure it out.

StrangeGam 15-05-2009 03:47 AM

Nope

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capo (Post 364385)
I dont remember a lot of this game but when you have the ship and the crew you're ready to sail, just click around, im sure you will figure it out.

Got a crew. Got a ship. Fully loaded with goods & cash.

Actually, got two ships....and still no idea how on earth to actually leave London.

Icewolf 15-05-2009 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrangeGam (Post 364494)
Got a crew. Got a ship. Fully loaded with goods & cash.

Actually, got two ships....and still no idea how on earth to actually leave London.

Try right clicking on the ship (the big one in the overview map)

OR

RTFM.

zirkoni 15-05-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icewolf (Post 364574)
RTFM.

Manual

I haven't played this game for a while but this is what I remember:
When you have a ship, a crew and preferably some cargo you left click the big ship image, select the ship you want and a NESW cursor appears. With this cursor you select the harbour(s) you want to sail to. Then right click the date so that time advances and your ship should appear to the harbour you previously selected.

StrangeGame 16-05-2009 02:28 AM

Nope

Did I not say I've read the manual? ENTIRE, only to find it contains no data on the actual controls?

No, right-clicking is not it.

I'm still buffled how so many people (reading this thread) managed to play this.

Interestingly enough, I've been searching the net for a solution, and I found only - a youtube video of playin 1869. In the video, apparently, the man has no idea how to move from the very same harbor, so he just drops it and quits the game. :D It seems like this is a common problem with 1869, and I'm not just being incapable over here.

zirkoni 16-05-2009 08:33 AM

OK. Well, I read the manual and played the game (and managed to move between harbours).
Left click the big ship image and you'll see this.
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/1994/1869000.png (Did you manage to get that small ship image to London harbour? If not you have to click the date so that time advances. It takes some time for the ship and crew to get to the harbour).

Select your ship and this happens.
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7713/1869001.png

Now select the harbour you want to go to.
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/1904/1869002.png

This I didn't remember. Obviously you have to right click the destination harbour to get the arrow cursor back.
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/7486/1869003.png

Now, click the date.....
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/1081/1869004.png
and your ship arrives to the new harbour (see that small ship?)

Capo 16-05-2009 02:59 PM

Zirkoni wins.

zirkoni 16-05-2009 05:16 PM

What have I won?

Capo 18-05-2009 04:47 PM

Surgeon 20-05-2009 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zirkoni (Post 364801)
Select your ship and this happens.
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7713/1869001.png

This is the problem I'm having.

How to select the ship? Left/right clicking it is no good. :sick:

zirkoni 20-05-2009 07:52 AM

You don't see this when you left click the big ship?
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/1994/1869000.png

Do you have that small ship image at you home harbour?

Surgeon 21-05-2009 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zirkoni (Post 365630)
You don't see this when you left click the big ship?
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/1994/1869000.png

Do you have that small ship image at you home harbour?

Ah, click at the big ship, then choose which ship from my fleet. Got it. Thx

Icewolf 11-07-2009 04:31 PM

I found something really helpful:

http://www.1869.de.to/

Though it's in german, it should be relly helpful.
I like the trading chart that we have on the site but this one provides better planning possibilities.
You can look up who trades what and then you can click on the good that you are going to buy. This again shows who trades that good. And so on.

Watcha' think? :sneaky:

Capo 12-07-2009 03:49 PM

Yea, Gewürze in Mandao.

Icewolf 13-07-2009 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capo (Post 375510)
Yea, Gewürze in Mandao.

What's so funny about that, huh?! :tongue:

:D

Unregisteredx 14-07-2009 08:54 PM

how do i navigate?

can anyone help me? i have no idea how to sail from one port to another. i have the ship + crew, but clicking on another port just shows me the information about it...

Capo 14-07-2009 11:35 PM

THIS post is pretty usefull.

/Steven/ 08-09-2009 08:39 PM

I cut it; doing well now ..!

== MAIN TIPS FOR WINNING ! == :)

So, I've been playing this game for two days (without doing anything else...) and I've mastered it for the most part now. Don't feel bad if you've been at it much longer than this, I'm pretty good at this stuff.

Most important things have been said in this thread. If you need a solid tactic for the start, here are the most helpful hints IMO:

1. [Earnings vs. expenses]

Be aware of your earnings vs. expenses. Earnings come from sold goods.
Expenses are:
- Monthly pay for your crews.
- Repairs on your ship ( find our for yourself what happens when the ship is heavily damaged ... :P ).
- Your annual taxes.
- The price for getting a loan (credit).

If you wonder why you never make any surplus money, you should investigate those four expenses.

2. [Reduce repair costs]

You don't necessarily need to sell weapons to Odessa at the start. I tried to make profits normally, but couldn't make any profits regardless of which trading routes I took! This is what REALLY worked for me:

Buy the steam ship for 8000. If you start the game with 7000, get a loan, then you have 11000. That makes 8000 for the ship and 3000 to buy wares. The advantage of the steam ship is that you only need to repair it half as often, which easily reduces the repair costs per year by $800 if you're sailing long routes between the continents.

The steam ship is not only the cheapest in repair, I think, it's also the cheapest in crew expenses. It only needs 12 crewmembers, which is the same number the smallest ship in the game has. But the smallest ship has 300 tons of freight capacity, while this steam ship has 400. This helps to speed up the profits.

3. [Reduce crew costs]

Simply, don't pay your crew too much. A difference of $20 per monthly pay makes $240 a year. Try to find a good level.

4. [Reduce credit costs]

The credit over $4000 will cost you $500 per year first (=$1000 in two years) - but you can quickly pay parts of it back, as soon as you've earned a little money, so these expenses will decrease.

5. [Find the right trading routes]

I won't tell a lot so to not spoil the game for you. A good idea is looking at which goods bring the highest percentage of profit, and trade them between Europe/Africa/America. You should get things going and at least stop making losses. If you make a long game, you can later include Asia.

Enjoy!

/Steven/ 12-09-2009 02:34 PM

If somebody tries to get a high score, he should really make a table that lists him all the profitable trading routes. Here's my idea (example):

Ware : Coal
To : Le Havre
Investment* : $750
Profit per trip* : $750
Profit per year* : $2500

*you have to use the same ship and cargo size, let's say 300 tons, for all trading routes in your table to get comparable results.

Why this table? Because it answers the questions that you ask often.

- You're going somewhere and want to know how much money to bring for buying goods - look at the table. If you don't have enough money, sail for another port instead where your money will be sufficient. It's important you never sail with a half empty ship because the cargo was too expensive for you.

- The profit per year tells you which routes are the best in the game. That's the most important thing to know! Example: If you make $750 profit on one trip, and you can do 3-4 trips per year, it's about $2500 per year.

The expenses (crew cost, repairs, taxes) are not considered here, that would make things too complicated.

IF someone ever makes such a table, publish it for everyone :D

/Steven/ 12-09-2009 02:47 PM

Sorry I didn't register, so I can't edit my post... I want to add my high score:

Company worth of 32,000 after 5 years. :p

I think the 2,000 tons ships (biggest in the game) bring you about 10,000 per year, so if you have several of them, beating the ingame high score of 225,000 shouldn't be too difficult in 26 years (in my impression there are more than enough goods in the world, I'm making 10,000 per year after five years and only sail between Europe and Africa).

What you need is some planning, so someone make the darned table I spoke of. :D

Matori 18-10-2009 06:35 AM

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr, I still can't sail :rant: :rant:

I am following the instructions:

a) I click a big picture of ship

b) I get this very exact ribbon
(zirkoni provided the image)

c) I click the ribbon and get the compass like cursor

Now I should click the target port, but I am just remaining stuck. Both left or right button fail to help...

/Steven/ 18-10-2009 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matori (Post 385739)
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr, I still can't sail :rant: :rant:

Now I should click the target port, but I am just remaining stuck. Both left or right button fail to help...

After you clicked on the target port, the ship disappears. Now you click on the calendar until the ship arrives at the destination.

You also need to recruit a crew for the ship first. Go to the tavern and order a crew, then click on the calendar to move ahead a few days until the crew is ready.

Vaz 23-12-2010 01:28 AM

A good game with a few flaws

This is still one of the best strategy-trading games done. It's marred by a few flaws however.
1. The trading margins are too small even for routes that historically paid off several times the purchase value of the cargo, particularly the oriental trade.
2. Demand for cargo is exhausted far too rapidly, even for bulk cargoes. Even a single shipload of wine for example can't be sold in total, and usually it rots if you warehouse it. In the case of wine, this is obvious nonsense. Its shelf life should be years, not months.
3. Demand for arms is virtually non-existent. This too is more nonsense, as arms shipments were one of the heaviest commodities in demand from European shipping nations, particularly to India and the Far East. There should also be an almost permanent demand for arms in South Africa, not to mention the South American ports, particularly those on the west coast which were involved in a string of wars during the period.
4. Also on the arms trade, when the European powers were engaged in major wars overseas, notably Britain, they frequently relied on private shipping companies for delivery. So smuggling weapons into India is one thing, but the British administration in India was also importing heavily to put down the revolt. All of this is missing from the game. New York was importing weapons just as much as the South was during the American Civil War; that's where all the rifled artillery came from initially.
5. The American Civil War is not historical. There should be a huge premium for smuggling weapons into Savannah, just as there is for Odessa during the Crimean War.
6. France is badly treated in this game. The largest mercantile ports in France were Marseilles and Bordeaux. Both had ship building industries much larger than Le Havre. And all should be exporting not just wine but also tools and arms. The import of coal into Le Havre makes no sense. The Franco-Belgian coal field was in its heyday in the 19th C. There should also be demand for arms during the Franco-Prussian War.
7. The central and eastern Mediterranean is not well treated either. Genoa, Naples and Venice were all more important ports than Trieste. Alexandria was important, but not as important as Beirut.
8. The game has the importance of steam to the 19th C backwards. Steam powered ships were more expensive to operate, not less. The importance of steam lay in much more rapid travel, particularly with the reciprocating engines emerging in the late 1870s.
9. The gunrunning system leaves much to be desired. Ships used for gunrunning were all small and very fast, i.e. your $3000 sloop. But the game seems to assign the same chance to catch a sloop as it does a full-size clipper ship.
10. Australia was not a significant producer of tools and textiles in the 19th C. It was a huge exporter of raw wool and grain. It should be demanding tools, textiles and machinery, not exporting them.
11. The passenger system is abysmal. There should be non-stop demand for passenger traffic between all major European ports, but particularly London, Liverpool and Hamburg, with New York. Ships would be lined up by the dozens every day trying to offload at Ellis Island. Millions were emigrating to North America throughout this period, but the game doesn't really show it. There should also be a fairly heavy two way flow between Britain and India throughout the entire period. There should be bonuses for this during the Sepoy Revolt, as then you're shipping soldiers. In fact, the 19th C could be characterized as a chronic shortage of passenger space, which is why the giant passenger liners emerged in the very early 20th C.
12. India rubber doesn't rot. You should be able to warehouse it for at least a year.
13. The big commodity missing from the game is grain. Grain was in constant very high demand throughout Europe during the period. This is one of the big commodities coming back, particularly from North America and Australia. It became hugely important with the repeal of the British Corn Laws in Britain in the wake of the Irish Potato Famine. The only part of this shown in the game is the citrus fruit shipments from North Africa, particularly Tunis. This was utterly trivial in volume and value compared with the grain trade. It is probably fair to say that the grain trade dwarfed any other bulk commodity shipped during the period including coal. Europe was largely self sufficient in coal, but not so for grain.

In short, the game mechanics work fine, and there's a good feeling of unpredictability of ship dispatch and arrival. Where it falls down is in some of the history and in particular the shortcomings of commodity demand and supply. It's good, but it's not as good as High Seas Trader.

jamotide 28-12-2010 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaz (Post 419376)
This is still one of the best strategy-trading games done. It's marred by a few flaws however.

The historical flaws are weak I suppose, but they don't bother me while playing, what is annoying is point 2, I fully agree with you there.

momo1 11-01-2011 10:09 AM

Best Routes

One difficulty of the game is that the ports stop taking goods too early, so you have to switch routes. Here are the best standard routes (without war) I found out for me before 1869:

European/African/American trade:

I only use one or two small steam ships (400t) here. It is fast, cheap and can sell all goods nearly every time.

1. Machines from London (or Liverpool, but they are more expensive there) to Barcelona, tools from Barcelona to Port Said, totton from Port Said to Odessa, vegetable oil from Odessa to London (repair ship).
2. Wine from LeHavre to Hamburg, tools from Hamburg to Accra, ivory from Accra to Savannah (repair ship), cotton from Savannah to LeHavre, if LeHavre doesn't take all cotton buy wine and ship to Liverpool where you normally can sell both.
3. Wine from LeHavre to Liverpool, machines from Liverpool to Rio, coal from Rio to New York (pass Ceyenne it’s faster; repair ship in NY), machines from New York to New Orleans, textilies from New Orleans to Puerto Bello (check harvest time for coffee), coffee from PB to NO (you can normally do this twice with this small ship), empty from NO to Savannah (repair ship), cotton from Savannah to LeHavre (or tobacco to London)
4. Machines from London to Barcelona (be careful, they won’t take that much machines if you visit it to often), tools from Barcelona to Ceyenne (sell only half of the tools), rare wood (and tools) from ceyenne to Havana, sugar from Havanna to Lisbon, wine from Lisbon to Hamburg or Liverpool (repair ship).

I nearly never visit Tunis (only accepts very small amounts of weapons), Lagos (Accra is better) or Luanda (long journey). I use Cape Town only as a long journey repair stop (hold a branch there) but if I send a ship for the Indian Ocean/Pacific I load it with machines (London), textilies (Amsterdam) and wine (LeHavre) (one third of ship capacity each to get rid of all of them in Cape Town) to sell in Cape town, repair ship there, empty to (missed the name) mocambique, buy ivory there and sail to melbourne where I hold another branch. This one is important because Melbourne normally doesn’t take all ivory (or coal). Also you can use it to empty your ship for repair in Sidney.

Asian/Australian/American trade:

There I mainly use the 600t Iron ships (2-3) because you normally still can sell all goods in ONE harbour and you can build them in Sidney from the beginning. I have branches in Melbourne and LA to frequently sell goods. Some goods are more dangerous because they root. These are all harvesting goods, spices and indian rubber.

1. Textilies and tools from LA to Shanghai (or only textilies to Macao), empty to Macao (repair ship), silk from Macao to LA (repair ship). After some turns you’ll have enough money to store the silk in LA and sell it frequently (all 2-3 months) for the special price only. That’s a real money printing press and works until about 1867 (only problem is the opium war time). After that I noticed that LA only pays the normal price even after months of waiting. But Nov.1869 is close then.
2. Tools from LA to Singapore, india rubber from Singapore to Melbourne, empty from Melbourne to Sidney (repair ship), wool from Sidney to LA (repair ship).
3. Tools from LA to Perth, coal from Perth to Melbourne (they won’t take all coal so put it in the branch and sell it later), empty to Sidney (repair ship), empty to Melbourne, machines and textilies to Bombay (repair ship), if avaiable tea from Bombay to Sidney otherwise india rubber from Colombo to Melbourne (I never buy cotton because risk of rooting is much to high from there), machines and textilies from Melbourne to Macao (repair), silk from macao to LA.
4. Tools from LA to Mandao, spices from mandao to LA. I don’t like this route that much any more, because it’s quite long, risky (storms) and you can’t repair your ship before you return to LA. If your ship is hit by a storm you will lose your cargo for sure.
5. Tools from LA to Callao, fruits from Callao to Sidney (repair ship), wool from Sidney to LA or sugar from Sydney to San Franzisko, tools from San Franzisko to LA (store them and repair). Wool gives you more profit than sugar, but tools are a little bit cheaper in San Franzisko so it’s not that much worse.
6. Textilies from LA to Rangoon, cotton back to LA. It’s quite risky as well. But you can take rare woods to LA as well. Less margin but less risk as well.
7. Textilies from Melbourne to Rangoon, rare wood from Rangoon to Sidney (repair ship), empty to Melbourne.

Of course you can switch from route to route to avoid overselling of the goods in some harbours.

Long travel trade (also money transport to home harbour):

My main money and silk store in the game is LA, so it’s the natural starting point for my long routes back to Europe. Sometimes I send one of the 600T ships back with money, but mainly I use the 1500T steel hull clipper.

1. Textilies and tools (half each) from LA to Arica (take the branch money with you), salpetre and the tools from Arica to Rio, coal and the salpetre from Rio to New York, some machines (max. 40) to Savannah (repair), cotton or tobacco to Europe. You’ll have to visit several ports to sell all of the cotton but it’s so close that there is no risk to root. If there is no harvest time for cotton or tobacco you have to go empty to europe.
2. Silk (stored in LA) from LA to NY, rest of the silk from NY to LeHavre (repair)
3. Back to Asia/Pacific I normally round Cape Good Hope (look above), but with the big ships I take more wine and even some tools with me (so machines, textilies, wine for Cape Town (repair) and after that tools and wine for Mocambique)

Captains order is always hard. It doen’s matter because you have to repair your ship so frequently to keep up speed that your crew is always well rested.

Vaz 24-01-2011 05:17 PM

One of the most profitable routes I've found is this:
You start by taking machines, tools and textiles from London, Hamburg and Amsterdam to Colombo and Bombay. Timing is critical. You want to arrive at the end of March. Load up on tea. Return to London. If you've timed it right, you get a huge bonus.

Then load up on the same goods noted above and drop them in Shanghai and Macau. Load the ship half full with silk, sail to Sydney and load with wool. Sail to LA. There's a bonus for wool. Load with machines, textiles and tools in LA and SF and unload in Shanghai and Macau. With the right timing, you've arrived in time for the next tea crop in Shanghai. Load with tea and return to London. If there's no tea. load with silk and unload in Le Havre and Hamburg.

For this trip I use steel hulled clippers only. You only need to refit the ships in London and SF. At Macau, all you need is a simple hull scraping. I like the SH clipper because of it's relatively low repair requirements.

After the Suez Canal opens in 1869, things become a bit trickier. Transit times now become so fast that you have to insert a couple of other stops in the route to ensure you arrive at the right time for the beginning of the tea crop.

Standard for me is to set the Captain's orders to Hard and drop the initial crew wages by two notches. I like to set this route up as soon as SH clippers appear in the game, usually about 1857 in New York. By the time I've finished running guns into Odessa in the opening of the game, I've built up enough cash to purchase one without needing credit.

Alois_Bembel 29-01-2011 02:14 PM

Does anyone know how I can edit prices? Because San Francisco pays only 12,50 $ for coffee (at least in the German version). This price is not realistic!

katagua 07-04-2011 05:43 PM

The (I believe) complete trading chart with buying and selling prices in 1:
http://www.2shared.com/document/B-4_...9_Trading.html
Edit: just discovered the Tunis fruit price is incorrect: should be $14,10

The harvesting chart for season dependent products:
http://www.2shared.com/document/9O2D...hart_1869.html

Top trading chart is sized to A4.
Now only important piece to add will be a movement chart that shows fastest routes between some major cities.

zxcvbn2 21-04-2011 07:32 PM

currents

At least one link showing ocean currents, until someone provides the original chart from the game manual (that best fits the game mechanics). This enabled me to travell faster:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-oceanicas.gif

zxcvbn

jamotide 11-05-2011 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zxcvbn2 (Post 426392)
until someone provides the original chart from the game manual

I just dug out the manual and here it is:

http://www.abload.de/img/streampnpg.jpg

Schnelle Stroemung=Fast stream
Mittlere=Medium

If anyone wants to submit it to the abandonia entry of this game, please do, you can take credit for it.

Luchsen 13-05-2011 10:44 AM

★ Navigationspunkte = navigation points
● Hafenstädte = port cities

Ohne Mitleid 13-05-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luchsen (Post 427254)
★ Navigationspunkte = navigation points
Hafenstädte = port cities

The symbols in the translation are almost as good as the having the translation and the map itself!
:2thumbs:

Luchsen 14-05-2011 03:48 PM

That's why I spent an hour searching for them. :ouch:

And an hour trying to find a solution to not getting vowels with macron by typing Alt+[Number] anymore. It's funny that it doesn't work any longer when you install the input method editor for Japanese. I use them for the transcription of said language...

zxcvbn2 18-05-2011 12:06 PM

weather chart

Quote:
I just dug out the manual and here it is:

http://www.abload.de/img/streampnpg.jpg

Schnelle Stroemung=Fast stream
Mittlere=Medium

If anyone wants to submit it to the abandonia entry of this game, please do, you can take credit for it.

Great!
Can you provide also the weather chart someone mentioned?

zxcvbn

jamotide 20-05-2011 06:28 PM

The weather chart is rather useless, it basically has big storm signs in the middle of the major oceans.

guest 13-06-2011 11:42 AM

I found the original manual here:

http://www.freegameempire.com/games/1869/manual

Hope it helps some :)

Vaz 23-06-2011 12:36 AM

One final tip, if you are playing the long game to 1880 there are two ships that dramatically affect profitability. The first is the 1600 ton steel hulled steamship that appears in London about 1867. Very much faster, much lower maintenance than any clipper ship. And the king of them all, the 2000 ton SH steamship that appears in Savannah about 1880. This last is for me the best ship in the game. It has the highest cargo to crew ratio of any ship, and like all SH steamships it's maintenance costs are low.

If you are not home in either of these ports, go out of your way to get them. A full load of silk offloaded in Le Havre and Hamburg nets about $15k minimum. Most of the time you need to carry about four commodities to ensure you can sell them all without warehousing, so route planning becomes a bit more complex. But it's well worth it.

And I've completely given up on passengers. Just no way that I've found to make any serious money out of it.

19c trader 19-10-2011 07:34 PM

exploit

I just found an exploit. If you keep your ship long enough to lose its value completely, to the point that shipyards will only buy it for $200, you can sell it, then ask to buy a used ship. Your old ship will appear on the list, with a price of $0. You can then buy it for $0, receive it in 4 days, sell it again for $200 and rebuy it for $0. Repeat every 4 days for undeserved profits. :-)

I have to say, it's the only way I manage to make actual profit in this game, in the long game, starting with those $7000 and buying that $3500 used schooner for first ship. Otherwise I make enough to stay afloat and pay taxes, but not much beyond that. Maybe I should get a loan and start off with a bigger ship to begin with. Well, for now I'll use my exploit for access to better ships to enjoy the game a bit more, and maybe next I'll play again limiting myself not to use the exploit :-).

Guest070912 07-09-2012 08:34 AM

all is well now ..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guest (Post 271723)
HEUREKA!!
I had the same problem like others, couldn't save. After a lot of trying and loading on an other computer (without success) I now have found the conclusion. For some reason the zip doesn't automatically extract the Game folder together with the other dates!
(Look into your folder Gr_1869, if there is no game folder, you shouldn't be able to save)
If that happens to you, just extract the game folder SEPARATELY into the Gr_1869 folder. Then you can plöay ans save. Good luck :)

Hey guys,
even though it might be late to answer this thread... I just figured that you have to type in SOMETHING/ANYTHING into that grey box underneath the black box BEFORE pressing 'save' . This 'SOMETHING' will be your file name which will be created in the GAME folder which you may have to create yourselves.... After pressing save this file will be seen in the formerly black-only box in brownish letters...

Aye, best of luck to ye olde traders..
Joschel-

cobdenline 13-11-2012 12:41 PM

Trading chart version 2

1 Attachment(s)
I made a new trading chart that makes the game much more manageable and interesting.

With this chart and some study of it, it is very possible and fun to rank on top of the shipping companies in the 26 years scenario.

As you have all noticed, Max created a confusing measurement system for the prices (bales, crates, and tons that are not equal to the ship's actual displacement tons). The trading chart in Abandonia also forgot about Diu, near Bombay, and a few prices.

I made a new chart, with ports organized in a West-East order, and with the actual prices for one ton of the product in the cargo hold. Lots of short, medium and long range routes to be explored, with as many as three ships, in my experience (I played the game for a week).

Here it is.

ouyang 18-01-2013 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobdenline (Post 447308)
I made a new chart [...] with the actual prices for one ton of the product in the cargo hold.

Only considering ton prices is a good and necessary starting point.

The next step is to have an overview of ton-profits for different routes/products. This overview should also list the special prices that the merchants are willing to pay if they haven't been provided the product sufficiently.

This link chart is provided as an attachment to this post. (The (s) means ton profit if special price is payed.)

By using it, you will find a lot of interesting information, e.g.,

(1) from Diu to London, tobacco completely trumps cotton since tobacco yields higher ton profit even if a special price for cotton is payed.

(2) Special prices are especially important for expensive products. For example, obtaining a special price for ivory increases the ton profit about 40%, whereas, for coal, the increase is only 10%.

ouyang 19-01-2013 06:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a small update to prior overview of ton-profits per route/product. This time also the ton profits for special assignments are included (tea to London, wool to Los Angeles). Their ton profits are marked with (a).

Interesting:
- For Los Angeles, the premium of special assignment is neglible if compared to the special price.
- For London, this premium is immense (+122% when starting from Bombay).

Conclusion, being the first to ship to London each year is a must.

Traderman1981 01-06-2013 05:37 PM

routine start-up in 1869

There is somwhere my post made few years ago. For those who want to make BIG cash in 1869 game, folow this:

1. Start game in London
2. Order a 600 ton Iron Ship. Pay advance.
3. Just before its finished, take a maximum loan.
4. Pay for ship.
5. Hire cre "dig in (3rd best)". Put all money on ship. Set captain orders "Hard" and add Bonus.
6. Go to Le Havre - buy max wine you can.
7. Set sail to Melbourne - save game.

8. Sell all wine in Melbourne. Give rest to your crew cor 2-4 days. Buy max textilies.
9. Set sail to Rangoon.
10. Sell Textilies. Buy India Rubber.
11. Return to Melbourne.
12. Repeat that route twice.
13. In Melbourne buy max textilies and set sail to Bombay (it should be march-april by now).
14. Sell textilies, buy Tea.
15. Go to London.

Now - give back your credit, put some money for taxes into warehouse, repair ship and set sail to repeat that route.

16. After max 1.5 year of trading this way, you should have around 35000 cash - enough to buy another ship of same clas.

17. While you repeat that proffitable route, open branch in Melbourne (to store Coal and Wine over there).
18. One ship will be to colect money from Melbourne and trade Wine>Textilies>Tea over Melbourne>Bombay?London - other you should use in Asia to trade Textlies/Machines (sometimes silk).

My new record is 282000 in cash with two 1600 steamships. I Will try to pull this up a bit, since I made new routes with big paypayoff a bit two late and I have lost few times whole cargo. Still, being close to 300k at end of 1879 is good score imho!

Traderman1981 05-06-2013 09:48 AM

so, few days later I finished game with new record: Company worth at end of 1879 was - 429.000,00$!

I read here on forums (or somewhere else, I dont recall) that one dude made over 615k - I truly must say that he DID hell of a job, because reaching that ammount of earnings is insane!

Here are some tips:

Tip1:
Crew members of class 3rd (Really Dig in...) are best option time/money wise.

Tip2: Dont use wood ships - they are much more expensive then iron huulled one.

Tip3: Establish branch in Bombay and iN Melbourne - it will come in handy when doing big bussines and especially in Bombay after 1869, when you can transfer money for taxes from other ships.

Tip4: Use 4-5 ships (those 600 toners): 1 to trade Textilies/Ivory/Rare Wood betwean Europe and Africa. 2nd to trade Textilies/India Rubber/Rarewood betwean Singapore and Melbourne/Sidney. 3rd to trade wool/sugar betwean Sidney/Los Angeles (and back with Textilies/Tools to Shanghai or Macao. 4th to trade silk/textilies betwean Los Angeles and Macao. 5th to occasionaly trade tea from Bombay to Europe and Wine back to Melbourne - this ship should be also to collect earnings from melbourne (other ships) to homeland. (if you start in London).

Tip5: Sell ship if its getting older then 8 years. Repair old ships in Shanghai/Bombay - its way more cheaper then other shipyards.

Tip6: If you plan to use 1600toner (steam one) be sure to trade tea/wool and Tools/textilies/machines - that route is best revenue in short time - route Europe-Bombay and close cities.

Tip7: 2000toner is best and astest ship, yet it costs require you to pay big attention for planning route. Best one (and I mean it!) is to load it full of textiles and go by several cities in Asia and go back with India Rubber, Spicies, Rare Wood, Saltpetre to Hamburg - one route that lasts around 3 months is more then 12k pure income!

Tip8: Give your crew always rest as much as they need - it has big influance for speed of your boat.

Tip9: After every war in region, there is BIG demmand for goods!

Tip10: Is you fail to sell goods that had limited lifespan (i.e: Wool, Sugar, Tea) and there is no hope to transport it to sell in other city, just sell it wits small loss!

Tip11: More ships you have and more goods you trade, it require that you plan wisely you goods routes - dont double trade (unless its tea!) with same goods in short time (i.e: 2 ships to same port). Its very good chance you wont sell second load!

Traderman1981 13-06-2013 02:27 PM

Few more info

Its me again. I made some tests regarding speed of boats, because I'have noticed that my new build steel clipper (1500 tons) is somewhat slow.

I made run with 6 ships from London to Rio..., using all steel hulled ships: 600t, 1500t, 1600 steamer, 1900 clipper (that beauty from Liverpool!), 2000 steam ship from Savannah (smooth one, dang!) and another 600 toner for comparasion. Ships were at 91%, crew was rested, ect - dry run with no cargo.

Test 1: London to Rio DeJaneiro

All ships were at destination within same time. Exactly same time. I was bit disappointed, because I am sure there is simulation of ships... So I have made second test.

Test: Rio DeJaneiro to London.

Ships were a bit used (around 88-89%), crew rested.
Now, finally I got something.

1st: 1600-tonner - 38 days.
2nd: 2000-tonner - 39 days
3rd: 1900-Schooner - 45 days
4th: 1500-Clipper - 49 days
5th: 600-tonners - 54 days.

I gave my crews rest for several days and send all to another test. Ships were not repaired in any means.

Test 3: London to Bombay.

This test was important due Suez canal - as we know, steam ships were over the top compared to sail ships because bad winds in Red Sea and canal itself. I was wondering how it has impact in 1869 game:

1st: 1600-toner 40 days
2nd: 2000-toner 42 days
3rd: 1900 Schooner 50 days
4th: 1500 Clipper 53 days
5th: 600-Tonner 60 days

Test 4: Bombay to Macao

As ships were at 84% avarge condition, I made one last test using them on route to West Coast of United States.

1th: 1600-toner: 40 days
2nd: 2000-toner: 41 days
3rd: 1900-schooner: 44 days
4th: 1500 clipper: 47 days
5th: 600 toner: 53 days.

Results:

Conclusion 1: It seems, if all ships are "new" and in perfect condition, they sail with same speed. But when they get used a bit, it has huge impact on their top speed. If on every route you lose 20-30 days, it means each year you do 2-3 routes less, thus you gain less profit.

Conclusion 2: Suez canal is very bad for sail ships. Steamers are twice faster! You can lose over 40-50 days in both ways using sail ship instead of steamer!

Conclusion 3: Crew experience has impact on sail speed in few ways. As I was using "Dig in..." class ones for steamers and "Experienced ones" for schooner and clipper, I have noticed that 1600 toner was faster then 2000 by 1 day because its crew was more experienced. Yet it has less affection on steam ships (experience) then it has to do with sail ships.

Capo 13-06-2013 03:06 PM

You should write an unofficial guide :)

Gergely 22-07-2013 05:36 PM

Bonus

Hi there!

Does anyone know anything how bonus works? It's obvious that it is a means of motivating crew to sail faster. But how much money is gives as bonus? When? How frequently?

Thanks!

email-para-enviar 23-07-2013 01:57 PM

emails empresas lista de emails gratis

mala direta, mail marketing lista de emails gratis. lista emails gratis emails lista, trabalho com mala direta mala direta como fazer, emails de pessoas emails empresas.

http://www.maladiretaemails.com

emails empresas trabalho com mala direta, mail marketing lista de emails gratis.

Ripperian 04-02-2014 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by /Steven/ (Post 382305)
Simply, don't pay your crew too much...

Ahhhh, the art of exploitation.

---

I'm playing the game without rush. In my first game of 5 years, I managed to only stay in the business. I'm starting my second try of 10 years.

:OK:

Jacquard 22-02-2014 12:29 PM

Endless game

Hi, it´s nice to meet peope who also enjoys this great game.

I have a problem, or so does it seem. The game simply doesn´t end. I am in 1881 and the company name doesn´t appear in the best companies table, the game simply continues. It´s worth said that this is my record game with + 300.000 $ (with some cheating, smuggling in the Crimean War, avoiding blockades by saving and repeating and so, it must be said, but I am going to play fairly), maybe there´s some relationship. Is it normal?
Thanks in advance.

For tips, here are my two cents:
1. The 600-ton brig has been the backbone of my fleet, covering most routes. These are routes that can be repeated again and again with this ship (given its limited pace and volume).

1.1. In the Atlantic, Buy Wine in Le Havre, Textiles in Amsterdam and Machines in London, go to Cape Town, sell all and buy Coal and Sugar, and sell them in Le Havre and Amsterdam, respectively, and buy Wine and Textiles in the process. Then go to London, buy Machines, and repeat the route.

1.2.Buy Machines in London, go to Barcelona, sell part of them, buy Tools, and go to Rio de Janeiro, sell all and buy either Cocoa, and sell it in Amsterdam, or go to Havana and buy Sugar, that you can sell in Amsterdam, but also in Lisbon, or even in Odessa (I prefer that, since Amsterdam receives Sugar from another line).

1.3. In Asia, buy Textiles in Melbourne, sell them in Rangoon and Singapore, and buy Rare Wood and Indian Rubber there, that you will sell in Sidney and Melbourne respectively. It´s important to border Australia in clock-direction, since the streams favour that.

1.4. Best route by far, Silk from Macao to Los Angeles and Textiles from Los Angeles to Macao.

1.5. You can combine that with Coal from Shangai to San Francisco, and buy Machines and Tools in San Francisco to bring them to chinese ports.

1.6. In Africa, the Ivory from Accra, combined with smaller quantities of Rare Wood if you can´t complete the cargo due to Ivory´s expensiveness, makes a good bussiness too.

These routes provide modests but steady sources of income. They may be useful, specially at the beginning of the game.

2. The black and red steamship is a good ship too. Use it in Atlantic voyages between Europe and North America, or going along America.

3. For bigger ships, I like the 1500-ton Steel-hulled Clipper, which I use to make bussines in the Pacific, reverse clock-direction. Wool and Sugar from Sidney to North American Pacific ports, Machines, Tools and Textiles from there to Asia, and products from there to Australia.

Ripperian 04-03-2015 12:41 AM

This is a bug or what?

Hi, I want to ask, if anyone know if this is a bug or please explain me what happens here...

I understand that I can pay the taxes, but the game says otherwise and I'll go into bankrupt.

Tax Due Screen:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j7...j.jpg~original

Money I've got:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j7...k.jpg~original

What's wrong?

Ripperian 04-03-2015 02:37 AM

Ok, I figured out. You must left money in the warehouse when you are sailing.

:whistling:

Traderman1981 06-05-2016 03:51 PM

I did another few games and I am far away from last result, even I tried hard. My actual record is 250k company value (last was 412k or so). I really would like to have buged version that not ends in 1880, so I could enjoy longer those 2000t steamers.

Tax advisor 12-05-2017 11:42 AM

No Taxes

Have you ever imagined not to pay taxes. This is however the only i way i was
ever able to make profits.
Sure i may be a exploit in the game or just a loophole in the tax system.
Always before the end of the year sell all your ships, and no taxes will be claimed.
This way i also never have to repair a ship, just sell it and rebuy it in January, it might
be a bit of a loss with a new ship but as the ships get older it becomes quite cheaper
than to repair it.
As well with the crew, i set the captians order on hard, set down the payment a little, they will take it for a year until they are totaly exhausted, get rid of them and get a new fresh crew.
Also for example the tea run from Bombay, (build a warehouse there) i only buy the ship in begining of March, start exactly from the 17th when tea harvest is ready, straight to London(Always get the bonus) and back with Machines, Tools, Textiles. And sell the ship right away when in Bombay. Saves the payment of the crew for the not so lucrative months..

This way i come up to 200k the first 15 years. However i guess if you want to play a record breaking game you will miss the downtime of the ships between December and January (often longer) and can´t do some long runs.

I´ve seen some good advices for traiding routes and which ship to take in the forum, will try them without tax cheating, but when i want to get rid off a ship, most likely i will do it before the 30th of December to save taxes.

Can´t belive i´m still playing a game from 1992 in 2017, i guess the challenge of the game
to make any profit at all makes it so interessting to me.

Unregistered1234 22-06-2017 12:56 PM

Harvesting times

Hello,

can anyone tell me the harvest times.
There was a chart for it around but unfortunately the download link expired.

Thank you

Alois_Bembel 04-08-2017 07:32 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Please find attached some screenshots of my game with a company value of 772K $.
In all modesty, all my games end up with at least 600K $.
On page 11 of this thread I described my way of trading.

Just look at the development chart ("Entwicklung"). The bars start rising up from the bottom (next to the "Ende"-button), because they are to high.
When I reach 512K $, the game crashes totally, when clicking on development. I have to ignore this button until the company value exceeds about 640K $, then it can be displayed without a bug

On September 23, 2005, I gained a company value of 913.863,30 $. I have never been this successful anymore. The reason for this value was that the game evaluated huge demands of all goods for a long period of time.

On the last screenshot you can see the way I name the ships: Name+capacity+year of order. So I always have a good overview.

Capo 06-08-2017 02:26 AM

:OK:

fahmi 27-08-2017 09:11 AM

Beat This 1.055.178,60

2 Attachment(s)
Much more is hardly possible, also the game gets buggy when you hit the 1.000.000 can´t display the company worth anymore.
In the last 10 years it´s really hard to find a port with demand of goods, not sure how the game deals with that since it´s allways different.
If you wonder the last two screenshots with arround 1.500.000 are with the biggest loan i could get, so it´s not the real company worth..

Traderman1981 08-03-2018 05:57 PM

good!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alois_Bembel (Post 468489)
Please find attached some screenshots of my game with a company value of 772K $.
In all modesty, all my games end up with at least 600K $.
On page 11 of this thread I described my way of trading.

Just look at the development chart ("Entwicklung"). The bars start rising up from the bottom (next to the "Ende"-button), because they are to high.
When I reach 512K $, the game crashes totally, when clicking on development. I have to ignore this button until the company value exceeds about 640K $, then it can be displayed without a bug

On September 23, 2005, I gained a company value of 913.863,30 $. I have never been this successful anymore. The reason for this value was that the game evaluated huge demands of all goods for a long period of time.

On the last screenshot you can see the way I name the ships: Name+capacity+year of order. So I always have a good overview.

Great idea with naming Ships with Cargo capacity! :)

Also, I admire of your company value, its really impressive :) Great work, man!!!

Alois_Bembel 23-09-2018 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fahmi (Post 468797)
Much more is hardly possible, also the game gets buggy when you hit the 1.000.000 can´t display the company worth anymore.
In the last 10 years it´s really hard to find a port with demand of goods, not sure how the game deals with that since it´s allways different.
If you wonder the last two screenshots with arround 1.500.000 are with the biggest loan i could get, so it´s not the real company worth..

Hi Fahmi, can you tell all of us your formula of success, please?

jamotide 07-12-2018 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traderman1981 (Post 453235)
There is somwhere my post made few years ago. For those who want to make BIG cash in 1869 game, folow this:
method

How can this work? Melbourne only buys a fraction of the wine, nevermind the following textiles and rubber aren't in demand enough even for the first trip. I just tried!

pemadat2910 17-01-2021 12:55 PM

taking passengers on ships

I stumbled into this game on Dec 2020, and after searching and find a file to download, I played this game almost immediately. And reading all your chats, tips and tricks was really helping me back on my feet on playing this game.
I have one question nonetheles which I can't seem to find any info about it, it's about taking passengers on frigate (or bigger ships). Can anyone please give some info about it, because I'm really curious about this...thanks a million before

Magisthan 01-12-2022 07:36 AM

Hi there,

anyone still playing 1869?

I am trying to play it and got stuck a little.

I am beginning with the Odessa route with arms until April 1856. After that I am buying a steel Brigg 600 tons or maybe two of them.

Starting routes: Liverpool/London to Rio then coal to NY, amchines to New Orleans, Textiles to Puerto Bello, Repairing in Savannah, Sugar from Havanna to Amsterdam

Second ship to Cape Town or some cities in Africa for ivory oder rare wood. Or I sent them to Melbourne, Bombay, Singapore

After the opium war I try to sent a ship with silk to L.A and textiles back.

Captains order is hard, with two dots back in the salery.

But it seems that I don´t get enough money per route to bring some cash in the warehouse for the taxes.

Is still someone here who plays 1869 with success? I´ve read the whole posts in the thread, so I am up to date. :)

Can anyone tell something about the procedure from 1856 to maybe 1869 what he does over the years, a little schedule so to speak maybe?

Thanks.

ouyang 10-01-2023 03:00 AM

Hi Magisthan,

I haven't played the game for a while.

Paying taxes is tough - you'll need close to perfect efficiency for doing so.

Hence, most of the time, the best approach is NOT to pay taxes by selling your ship at year end and rebuying it at the start of next year (you'll need a flag in that city to be able to do so). If I remember correctly, the ship will then already be repaired. The difference between the sell-rebuy price is smaller than the repair cost plus the taxes which are not paid any more.

Hope that helps... (and hoping that I remember this correctly...)

The current time is 02:25 AM (GMT)