Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Introductions, Farewells and Returns (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Leaving on a high note (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=47396)

Bonk 09-12-2022 02:41 AM

Leaving on a high note

I finally did it! I made it to the top of the PoE ranking, only by the Pieces of Eight rewards for the daily login and screenshot quiz. :smile2:
Of course this was only possible becuse most of the top contributors are no longer active on the site, but to finally beat Marko River took a lot of time.

I joined abandonia in 2008, I think, and although I was not very active on the forums, I always enjoyed the community here a lot! I found many great games and a lot of helpful advice here and of course I became very ambitious in solving the daily screenhot quiz and climbing the ranks of the leaderboard.
This is where my friendship an rivalry with Mystvan began, as we were equally ambitious at the quiz, joined abandonia at a similar time and were always chasing each other in the ranking, sometimes Mystvan leading, sometimes me. Thank you Mystvan, it was a great time! :smile2:
A lot of that can be found in this forum thread: http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=33802 (Quiz players - your motivation for playing?)

So I was really disappointed when abandonia went down a few weeks ago. The timing was so bad! I was just two days away from reaching place 1 and it would have been right at my birthday, too! And suddenly: forum redirects to a breaching site and then the site was down for maintenance.
To be honest, I'm actually a bit surprised that it came back online so fast. I was afraid that it would be finally down forever. But it only did a rollback of a few weeks. Phew, these 100 lost PoE could be recovered in a short time. And so I did!

But now that I finally triumphed, I will leave the field to others, I will retire from the quiz. So at the rate Mystvan is gaining PoE at the moment, he will reach me in only a few months and become Number One. You deserve it as much as me, Mystvan!
For the others, it will take a bit longer. Dam, led-zeppelin, underdog, cdnp, HailToNietzsche, imcja (just to name the top quizzers that are still active), I wish you a lot of fun and success in the race to the top. If you are patient and diligent, and if abandonia continues to exist long enough (we can only hope that), and if Mystvan allows you to reach him by following my example, then each of you can climb to the top some day! Good luck! :OK:

I will still visit abandonia from time to time, as I have so many great memories of it, but sadly it is not the place it used to be. It's a shame how the site owners let it deteriorate, and I want to thank all the people that are still here and do what they can to stop the endless tide of spam.
Perhaps this great community can be revived at www.abandonedtimes.com. Thanks, red avatar and others, for creating this!

All of you abandonians, I thank you for the great times! Have fun and enjoy life and games, online and offline! :smile2:

Japo 17-12-2022 11:07 AM

Congrats on being the Elon Musk of PoEs :D

Bonk 18-12-2022 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japo (Post 487409)
Congrats on being the Elon Musk of PoEs :D

Thanks Japo!
But I doubt that Elon Musk will have the wisdom to some day stop gathering more and more, to leave the field to others, like I do. :perv:

Mystvan 14-08-2023 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonk (Post 487403)
I finally did it! I made it to the top of the PoE ranking, only by the Pieces of Eight rewards for the daily login and screenshot quiz. :smile2:
Of course this was only possible becuse most of the top contributors are no longer active on the site, but to finally beat Marko River took a lot of time.

I joined abandonia in 2008, I think, and although I was not very active on the forums, I always enjoyed the community here a lot! I found many great games and a lot of helpful advice here and of course I became very ambitious in solving the daily screenhot quiz and climbing the ranks of the leaderboard.
This is where my friendship an rivalry with Mystvan began, as we were equally ambitious at the quiz, joined abandonia at a similar time and were always chasing each other in the ranking, sometimes Mystvan leading, sometimes me. Thank you Mystvan, it was a great time! :smile2:
A lot of that can be found in this forum thread: http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=33802 (Quiz players - your motivation for playing?)

So I was really disappointed when abandonia went down a few weeks ago. The timing was so bad! I was just two days away from reaching place 1 and it would have been right at my birthday, too! And suddenly: forum redirects to a breaching site and then the site was down for maintenance.
To be honest, I'm actually a bit surprised that it came back online so fast. I was afraid that it would be finally down forever. But it only did a rollback of a few weeks. Phew, these 100 lost PoE could be recovered in a short time. And so I did!

But now that I finally triumphed, I will leave the field to others, I will retire from the quiz. So at the rate Mystvan is gaining PoE at the moment, he will reach me in only a few months and become Number One. You deserve it as much as me, Mystvan!
For the others, it will take a bit longer. Dam, led-zeppelin, underdog, cdnp, HailToNietzsche, imcja (just to name the top quizzers that are still active), I wish you a lot of fun and success in the race to the top. If you are patient and diligent, and if abandonia continues to exist long enough (we can only hope that), and if Mystvan allows you to reach him by following my example, then each of you can climb to the top some day! Good luck! :OK:

I will still visit abandonia from time to time, as I have so many great memories of it, but sadly it is not the place it used to be. It's a shame how the site owners let it deteriorate, and I want to thank all the people that are still here and do what they can to stop the endless tide of spam.
Perhaps this great community can be revived at www.abandonedtimes.com. Thanks, red avatar and others, for creating this!

All of you abandonians, I thank you for the great times! Have fun and enjoy life and games, online and offline! :smile2:

Oops. Sorry for the delay, but with the post-pandemic effects, I am busier than ever... *headslap* *shrug*

I finally surpassed Chair-man Cyber-Bonk. *happy*

I am sad that he decided to stop Quiz playing and ending our historic rivalry of several years... I am sure we all miss him... *sad*

However, for reasons I mentioned in private, I still have fun answering Quizzes.

Well, I wish all Quiz Players the best! *thumbs up*

Hunter Hunted 16-08-2023 08:56 AM

It's a pity that gaming forums are so dead nowadays.

SoorPlumbs 24-08-2023 08:24 PM

They are blighted by apathy.
(There is also something deliciously ironic about coming to an abandonware forum and finding it...well...abandoned.)

DrWho42 26-08-2023 06:15 AM

the forums are now post-bonk

The current time is 02:12 AM (GMT)