Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Blah, blah, blah... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Do Your Think You Can Speak English ? (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=7008)

swiss 01-09-2005 05:16 PM

OK here. You all think that your English is fluent and perfect ?

Follow this three simple steps to ruin your tongue :bleh: :

(for beginners)
Three witches watch three swatch watches. Which witch watches
which swatch watch?

(advanced english)
Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch
switches. Which switched witch watches which Swatch watch switch?

(at the end)
Three swiss witch-bitches, which wished to be switched swiss witch-bitches, wish
to watch three swiss Swatch watch switches. Which swiss witch-bitch which wishes
to be a switched swiss witch-bitch, wishes to watch which swiss Swatch watch
switch?

And when you're not English, then try to translate the third sentence in your language.

This is the German version: (much easier to say)
Drei Schweizer Hexen-Schlampen, die sich wünschen geschlechtsumgewandelt zu sein, schauen sich schweizer Swatch Uhrenknöpfe an. Welche schweizer Hexen-Schlampe, die sich wünscht geschlechtsumgewandelt zu sein,schaut sich welche schweizer Swatch Uhrenknöpfe an?

Sebatianos 01-09-2005 05:24 PM

And what's the problem there?
Just think it's the lyrics to some old techno rapping (like with 2 unlimited, Culture Beat, Scatman John,...). It's actually quite rhytmic. This would be much harder to pronounce:

Toy boat. Toy boat. Toy boat. (and it keeps on repeating).

a1s 01-09-2005 06:12 PM

you're supposed to prononuce it very fast (it's an exercise, that helps one develop his speaking)

Xikarita 01-09-2005 06:15 PM

We have stuff like that in Portuguese, too. Like trying to say ''tr?s tristes tigres'' (''three sad tigers'').

Scarface 01-09-2005 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Xikarita@Sep 1 2005, 01:15 PM
Like trying to say ''tr?s tristes tigres'' (''three sad tigers'').
Spanish version is "Tres tristes tigres tragaban trigo en un trigal". :D

a1s 01-09-2005 06:37 PM

well, since we're posting our native ones:
"черепаха, не скучая, час сидит за чашкой чая"

swiss 01-09-2005 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by a1s@Sep 1 2005, 06:37 PM
ermmm yeah .. whatever. :crazy:

what does it mean ?

--

and Sebatianos please do me a favour and record it and post it here. I would really like to know how easy (?) that would be for a native speaker. I can read that but I must concentrate a bit. Simply the "TH" is something that needs a bit of concentration when having so much "s" and "ch" in the sentence when not being used to it in your native language ...

a1s 01-09-2005 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by a1s@Sep 1 2005, 06:37 PM
well, since we're posting our native ones:

any questions?
(If it's translation you want, then it means "the turtle can drink a single cup of tea for hours without getting bored", silly isn't it?

Quintopotere 01-09-2005 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Xikarita@Sep 1 2005, 06:15 PM
Like trying to say ''tr?s tristes tigres'' (''three sad tigers'').
The italian version is "Tre tigri contro tre tigri" or, closer to your version, "Tre tristi tigri"

Sebatianos 01-09-2005 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by swiss@Sep 1 2005, 08:41 PM
and Sebatianos please do me a favour and record it and post it here. I would really like to know how easy (?) that would be for a native speaker. I can read that but I must concentrate a bit. Simply the "TH" is something that needs a bit of concentration when having so much "s" and "ch" in the sentence when not being used to it in your native language ...
Well I'm not a native speaker of English - but I'll give it a go. In the mean time here's a little Slovene sentance:
Pešec gre čez cestišče v Stožce po rožce. :D

The current time is 08:03 PM (GMT)