Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Protostar (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=5557)

Sebatianos 12-06-2005 12:30 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Bluntman 12-06-2005 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Indignus IV
Graphics: Reasonable. The pixels are big, but manageable. I’ve seen better, though.
:blink: I think the game looks great

RPGmaster 12-06-2005 04:37 PM

Oi oi oi ...
great game :D

I got a problem tho when I run on fullscreen on my dosbox.. it dosnt show the whole game ..
I bit of the top is missin and its real stretched out ...

anyone know how to fix this?

Sebatianos 12-06-2005 05:06 PM

You must change your DOSBox configuration.

This is what I did - I have a screen resolution of 1280X1024 in windows, but for DOSBox I set the 800X600 resolution (and I have an almost full screen - with a thin black frame). If I set the resolution higher some parts of the screen are missing.
Hope it helps!

RPGmaster 12-06-2005 05:23 PM

Aight ....
Thanks mate ... :ok:

:D :D :D

:wall: I think Im a bit stupid that didn't think of changing the resolution on the DOSbox :P :crazy: :wall:

Sebatianos 12-06-2005 05:29 PM

No problem :bye:

Christian IV 12-06-2005 06:56 PM

:bye: :bye: :bye: :w00t:
Thanks for thei game, I have wanted to improve knowledge of
some of the better space games, and this one looks like one
of them, along with Star Control, i am hoping to explore some
of the space flight simlulation and adventure genre, Masters of
Orion i think is too complex for me, but we will see. I know
there are some huge multi user space games out there or
at least there were some years ago, but i like these older
format games, and the graphics look good on this from the screen
shots, thanks again for the great resource you all help us
have ..

cheers

:cheers: :cheers:

Guest 12-06-2005 07:56 PM

Cool game but Im stuck in the stage after you find the damaged ship and find that navigator girl, I cant leave the zoom in on the debris. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Guest 12-06-2005 09:14 PM

Well solved the problem myself thanks anyway

Indignus IV 12-06-2005 10:47 PM

How did you solve it? I have that problem myself. :blink:

Mike_fields 13-06-2005 12:30 AM

You have to lose the Ship debris on radar so you can go on on the map sector

sal_paradise 13-06-2005 02:35 AM

where do i get the manual answers for the question the robot asks you when u first get in the ship???

Sebatianos 13-06-2005 03:26 AM

You don't need them - just give a random answer (one letter or numer is enough).

wendymaree 13-06-2005 07:12 AM

Hey - nice game and brilliant review! :ok:

*hurries to download*

Indignus IV 13-06-2005 12:56 PM

"Brilliant" review? well I, ahem... :wub:

Abi79 13-06-2005 04:56 PM

When you encounter ships, they appear on the radar. How do you know which ship is friendly and which is hostile ?

Mike_fields 13-06-2005 05:22 PM

you dont know until he attacks you or the ship stands in front of you, but if you have weapons and shield armed a friendly ship may attack you because of that but also it can be a pirate ship and you have to activate weapons and shields quickly :ok:

Abi79 13-06-2005 05:27 PM

Thanks. :ok:

BTW, how do you MAKE money in this game?

Moi 13-06-2005 05:42 PM

From what I've read there are cities on some of the planets. If you scan and find intelligent life you can try to find a city and do some trade. Plus if a planet has lots of minerals you can mine them and sell them. My problem is I can't win a fight to save my life. I keep getting attacked by pirates and the battle goes on and on until I eventually die. I get the enemy's ship to turn completely red and I hit it about 50 or 60 times. It just won't die. Starting to get annoying.

Abi79 13-06-2005 05:52 PM

I was only only once attacked by some pirates, but I died, so I can't help you. You could try using different weapons to kill them.

Guest 13-06-2005 08:21 PM

:crazy: :cry: sounds like those pirates hvae good
shield technology.....this game sounds great, it is going up
on my list all the time for next try outs....thanks

:ok: :ok:

Basarin 15-06-2005 04:08 AM

I'm mainly having difficulty navigating manually once I'm in a system, and navigation only lets me travel between systems, not within it, from what I've been trying. Can someone help me here? As in, I just entered a system, and I want to move to a planet, but I can't quite figure out how. -_-; It feels like it's easy enough, but...well, a little help?

As for the pirates, I've managed to shoot them down. It just takes a VERY VERY LONG TIME for them to die, especially if you're only in the default ship from the get go. I've been ambushed by two at one point while I was still trying to figure out how the heck to navigate manually within a system; I shot down one, and forced the other to retreat. Then I looted the remains, but then my ship ran out of fuel. -_- So much for that save.

me_lobo 15-06-2005 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Moi@Jun 13 2005, 05:42 PM
From what I've read there are cities on some of the planets.* If you scan and find intelligent life you can try to find a city and do some trade.* Plus if a planet has lots of minerals you can mine them and sell them.* My problem is I can't win a fight to save my life.* I keep getting attacked by pirates and the battle goes on and on until I eventually die.* I get the enemy's ship to turn completely red and I hit it about 50 or 60 times.* It just won't die.* Starting to get annoying.
Well, I think that the problem is in the choice of the weapon you make. Like in Freelancer. Different gun for a hull and different to destroy the ship's shielding systems. Try to talk with the guy in the ship store. He will tell you about different types of arsenal.
And anyway...where is the solution announced in the "brilliant" review?

Abi79 15-06-2005 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Basarin@Jun 15 2005, 07:08 AM
I'm mainly having difficulty navigating manually once I'm in a system, and navigation only lets me travel between systems, not within it, from what I've been trying. Can someone help me here? As in, I just entered a system, and I want to move to a planet, but I can't quite figure out how. -_-; It feels like it's easy enough, but...well, a little help?
You can travel within systems very easy. Just touch on the map of the system the planet where you want to go. :sneaky:

ddog13 15-06-2005 02:28 PM

Can some one help me? I can't seem to find the gather cursor and I'm running out of money and rescources. Anyone have an idea?

Abi79 15-06-2005 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ddog13@Jun 15 2005, 05:28 PM
Can some one help me? I can't seem to find the gather cursor and I'm running out of money and rescources. Anyone have an idea?
When on a planet, select manual control and right-click. A yellow pointer should appear. When you are over a resource, left-click to gather it. :ok:

peaky 15-06-2005 05:51 PM

ok you can make loads of money by selling life forms
can anyone help me make frends with the insects
i know they are looking for a new planet but i have looked at every planet and still dont know wot to do
thanks

o and by the way this site is ace
and i mean that with a capital A
thanks for all these brill games

Basarin 15-06-2005 07:02 PM

Just point and click to move...?

Okay, I just feel silly now. But thanks anyway.

But then how do you get back into starports? I have tried clicking on it like the planets, but that just doesn't seem to work...

Basarin 15-06-2005 11:10 PM

Nevermind. It was just a navigation issue I was having. Thanks anyway.

Basarin 16-06-2005 09:47 AM

Er...right.

Anyways, a general question here: what is the best way to deal with the aliens? I know for one particular one (the cowardly ones, I forget their name), you just need to be nice to them for them to like you. I don't know how to deal with the hive collective or the others, and even then, I'm not sure how you would get them to ally with the humans. Any input there?

Basarin 17-06-2005 08:18 AM

The manual is up on the site, but the supposed solution is not there, nor is it in the actual folder of the game. So I humbly request that it is put up, if only to figure out how to handle diplomacy with the other factions. Thanks in advance.

Sebatianos 17-06-2005 05:40 PM

Sorry for not providing the solution yet - I'm still trying to finish the game myself first.
Don't wanna put up something that might not work (but I can e-mail you the solution the reviewer included with the game).

Zak 23-06-2005 01:26 PM

Ok, heres what I know so far if it helps.

Talk to gobel at the first space station bar (hes not there if a band is playing) he give u the co-ordinates 69 033 or something like that.

When your there you get a navigation officer, make sure you assign her to navigations. Be nice, she gets pissed off easily.

Now If you try to go to the bottom right hand space station you can get a gunner, he is the guy who will sell u ship parts and he will ask when you leave.

You can go to any of those little dots and some of them have planets, some of the planets are minable and have people to talk to. Click on surface scan to get to the explorer launcher thingy. You use subjective scan, another option in the space craft to find out whats there, good to find out whether there are resources.

You see these resources on the radar and use the 9 button controler thingy to move, A to acelerate D to break. right click when your in the movement mode which you get to by clicking on the movement pad to get the ion thingy, opr press space bar, left click when your near resources to mine.
Takes bloody hours but you make good money if u sell that at a space station.

Make sure you have enough Fuel/stabilium, you pay your crew members (and thats a lot for the greedy buggers) in it, and if your stranded i just dont know WTF you can do about it except restart. 100 is minimum if your going to be mining because you use it in the mining process. Id take more to be on the safe side.

(In truth though it would take the same amount of fuel to get between any two point in a singular line in space. Fuel determines the speed at which u get there. And this feature of the game really annoys me)

And for the best results dont use DOSBOX, just play without sound and listen to your own music, DOSbox is too muc for my 2ghz P4 on this game. VDMSOUND doesnt seem to work either. Musics cool though.

Happy DOSSing

Finally if you meet a trader you can cheat by entering all 1111111s into the trading box, and they will pay you loads to take what they sell. To trade select trade from the talk menu.

Anyone got any combat tips, I find it almost impossible....?

Old School Gamer 22-08-2005 05:21 PM

Wow...Starflight was one of the first game that I played, and Protostar is a
nice continuation of that legacy. :ok: The controls can be very frustrating at times, but the game is still great.

P.S. Thanks for the step-by-step tutorial for installing DOS-Box. Now I can play some really old games. Boy, it brings back memories. Thank you :D

Dave 08-11-2005 01:13 AM

hello, i sound like a complete and utter NOOB, but

i just downloaded DOSBOX to play this game\(i had it about 6 years ago and got Deja vOUS) anyway, how do I run this game from DOSBOX. I just installedit in My Documents in windows XP. Can someone give me complete steps so that I `can larn how o play this ga,e wirh soud. it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
dAVE.

A. J. Raffles 08-11-2005 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave@Nov 8 2005, 02:13 AM
hello, i sound like a complete and utter NOOB, but

i just downloaded DOSBOX to play this game\(i had it about 6 years ago and got Deja vOUS) anyway, how do I run this game from DOSBOX. I just installedit in My Documents in windows XP. Can someone give me complete steps so that I `can larn how o play this ga,e wirh soud. it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
dAVE.

First of all, I don't think DOSBox will work if you installed it in "My Documents". As far as I know it has to be somewhere on C. You might want to try reading the DOSBox tutorial. It's very simple, really. If that doesn't help you either, try reading the DOSBox threads in this forum.

Dave. 09-11-2005 10:12 AM

you are an exceptional piece of human. i was very very drunk when i posted my last post.

im a Games tester yet I had to ask for help installing a games emulator. i must be really muck.

I now have it installed, it's ace.

Constantin 18-02-2006 08:59 PM

Hy, guys!

Protostar was one of the first games (as a matter of fact it WAS the first one) I ever played and I feel so happy finding it here :)

So I thought (as I saw that some of you are experiencing some problems) I could give you some pieces of advice to get the game started! As this will be some reading (as I realised after writing it all down), the most useful hint will be given now : You might get to know that you´re only able to travel veeery slowly within a given coordinate. Theres a bug making you much faster : Set the engines to zero (by pressing D) then go into the same mode you´d be in a spacefight (pressing M will do) then leave it (pressing M again) and then set engines back on. After this procedure click on any place you´d like to go and see it happen faster than usual.

OK, back to the guide!

You start in a space station and talk to Director Hawking. He tells you all the stuff about the Earth being under attack and that you have to find some allies to stop them. Ok. Have a look around, explore whatever you like and then get on the ship.

First arriving there ABE (the robot you have from the beginning) will ask you to name a specific sign. Just try and type a single character or - if that doesn´t work, try entering one name until it´s the right one :) The names of the factions in game are :
Deresta (little cowardly ones)
Kaynik (blue, aggressive ones with sharp teeth and claws)
Vantu (looking like erm... well... Africans to me :)
Ghebraant (insectoid, collective, conciousness-sharing beings, though I´m not sure if the spelling is right)
Skeetch (dinosaur-like bogies which will attack ANYONE and NEVER surrender) As if that wouldn´t be enough they have the fastest engines in the whole game. Even if you have engines III installed, they are still quicker.

OK, now let´s get started, earn some money and upgrade our vessels!

I suggest to access the navigation-station and then select "Sector Map" You´ll see a map showing your position (the red square on the left corner) and the rest of the sector. I suggest we fly to the big star which is the second one to the right of our current position. As you will realise thats where the Deresta live (homeworld : Boobolla). The good thing about the Deresta is : They are complete cowards and it takes not much more than a tickle to make them surrender. Ok, I know, it´s foul and mean as those fellas are really cute, but it´s the fastest and surest thing to make money in the beginning of the game. So if you arrive in the chosen solar-system you will see a sun in the middle of the monitor and some planets surrounding it. Maybe you´re lucky and see a green square (your own ship is shown as flashing steelish-gray spot). A green square indicates other ships. If it´s moving towards you that´s usually a bad sign. If it doesn´t move it´s very likely to be a Deresta-Starship. Approach it (click on the green square) and then (if it´s really Deresta) activate your defenses and weapons. Shoot at it some times (shooting : left-click, cycling through the available weapons : right-click) and wait for it to surrender. When that happend stop immediatly shooting at it, right-click until you see the "EXIT"-button, click it and switch to navigation where you can choose "docking profile" now. Select it and see your ship docking. Having docked select your engineering-station and select "Acquire Cargo". The rest should be self-explaining. Having all you want, depart again using the nav-station.

This procedure works as well on the homeworld of the Deresta with the Explorer. THe only difference is that you have to get into the orbit of Boobolla and then go down to the surface. It´s simple. Just click on the planet you wish to visit and when your ship reaches it your screen will change into a window showing the planet and some stats about it. => Nav Station => Scan Surface => Launch.

Ok. After this you have some ship systems and cargo robbed. Go back to the Space Station where you began to play and sell it. Do this a few times and you´ll soon have enough money to buy all the systems at LVL3. The other hints I could give would be too complex...

Allright, folks. That´s it. Have fun and oh... if anyone could help me with my problem I´d be grateful :
I was in a little battle with the skeet-fleet (3 ships at the same time and this 3 times within one solar-system!) and had erm... some negative experience. My whole ship almost good as new there was one vital thing missing.... the Nav-Station. As I fould out how to navigate between solar-systems and even going down to surfaces of planets without having the Nav-Station I played on... and on... and on... OK. Now theres my problem : I´d need to go to a Space Station to sell some stuff... but how should I do that without having the option to chose to dock? Hmm.... Is there any place I can have my Nav-Station fixed?... or maybe even a cheat / bug which will make it work again?

If you have any ideas email me , plz : [EMAIL ADRESS REMOVED AS PER RULES]

Cyas!

Constantin 18-02-2006 09:06 PM

Oh,well : one more thing!

There´s no need of getting Cassi as a Nav-Station crew member. She just wants to be paid and theres ne real benefit (just like the science and contact stations. You can handle that yourself just as well). But it´s very useful to have some good guys on the biotech and tactical stations as their experience makes you deal more damage or healing injured crew members faster.

Jason1701 19-04-2006 09:49 AM

Hey all i just wanted to do a quick post about all the resources you encounter i actually found mining to be a good source of income i made about 50K a load and took me about 10-15 min per load if you find a planet that has a extensive resource readout on the subjective scan

Ok here is a list of resources I came across I believe this is a fairly complete list except for the gasses that you find on some planets these prices are the prices at the three Newfront outposts if you go to the cities on some of the planets or trade with ships the prices to buy and sell will be negotiable however when selling to newfront the prices are set

Aluminum 60 Arsenic 60
Bismuth 80 Boron 80
Chromium 70 Copper 60
Erbium 60 Europium 70
Gold 60 Iron 50
Magnesium 60 Mercury 60
Molybdenum 70 Nickel 60
Silver 60 Strongtium 60
Tin 50 Titanium 60

I bought these resources from a couple ships don’t know if they occur as a mineral or if they are some specialty item

Lucid media 90 Reflectorall 90
Inpedigone 100

Ok just a few things I have learned weapons officers increase the damage of the weapons the Bio officer increases heal of your officers and engineer decreases repair time however the other positions, I have not noticed any effect other then having their picture in the screen when you use that function. Also DO NOT have your weapons armed when a ship comes toward you if it is friendly it will turn hostile and stay that way for quite a while (several weeks game time). One last thing if you don’t have money in your account they will call you a dictator and WILL NOT WORK or allow you to access that function with them assigned to it ESPECIALLY WEAPONS alright well that’s all I have learned so far if you find anything more post it and I might make a comprehensive walkthrough sometime okay maybe wasn't such a quick post
Enjoy :cheers:

Jason1701 23-04-2006 05:10 AM

ok if anyone has beaten this game i just need a lil bit of help im pretty sure i am suppose to get the ghebraant into the alliance and i know they are looking for a new home but is there some home planet for them where you can speak to somthing other then a drone? all the drones will say is homeworld is used up or somthing like that and cant get any other info out of them its really starting to irritate me :wall:

Paulusma 06-05-2006 11:57 AM

It's like this game, because it gives you a lot of freedom to do your own thing.
But it lacks depth, and is too short.

**** Sploiler Alert! ****

Deresta
Homeworld: 045, 084 Boobolla
Pirates attack you at some random point after you get the quest. Be sure not to destroy the ship with the Deresta on board, like i did (save prior to battle). :)

Ventu
Homeworld: 084, 048
Prisoners: 084, 111
The thoughest fight in the game. You'll have to fend off 9(!!!) superior ships.
Not much tips i can give, other than that the computer AI responds to your ship's movements in a certain way. I reccomend attacking purely with the Cannon, unless you want to soften them up with pods (which cost a lot of fuel).
Also, work a lot with he [A] and [D] keys (accelerate and decelerate).
Once upon the surface, don't bother shooting down the enemy but raise shields and retrieve the scientists.

Kaynik
Homeworld: 144, 072 Kaniyaki (i think)
Surrender 3 times to get them to ally themselves with you.

Ghebraant
Homeworld: 030, 045 Hive IV
New planet: 117, 111
There are several plantes available for colonisation by the Ghebraant. But most of them have already been discovered by others, thus making them unavailable for the Ghebraant.
It's important that you have the quest for the Ghebraant. Go to the coördinates and travel to the green planet, furthest away from the sun. When asked to whom you'd like to "give" it to, choose Ghebraant.

Now the alliance is complete. The Skeetch hear of it and send in a Dreadnaught. It's invulnerable to normal weapon so you'll have to find the disformed ex-pilot Nodel. Talk to him and ask about the Dreadnaught. Eventually he'll give you these coördinates and this password;
Warship: 156, 066
Password: 29lnr1

To fight the Dreadnaught you'll have to fly around randomly for a bit. But, it's very important to have your entire Cargo Hold filled with fuel. Because the special cannon uses 50 m3 every time you use it.
Well, fighting it, seems to be depending on luck mostly. I attacked it 4 times. 3 times i had several of it's systems disabled, but when i came across it again, it was fully repaired.
The 4th time it was just bright red, and suddenly it exploded when i shot at it again. Save your game prior to battle, is my advice.

**** End Spoiler Alert! ****

-Jaap-Jan

Baeron 25-05-2006 08:07 AM

Thanks for posting the spoilers.

Also, a "nice" way of getting alot of money. First, sell the particle gun and shield from your explorer. You should then have 21,000 credits. Go to Boobolla (045,084), and talk to their ground defense. Pick a humble attitude and ask a few questions. Next, go to a city and do the same thing. I tended to pick naive when trading with them. At this point you should be able to purchase doltinker for 22 credits. If you cant, find some other derestra to talk to. I don't haggle because it can make them mad with the volume I buy and they would raise the price back up. Spend all your money on buying it. Then return to the outpost and sell the doltinker for 50 credits each. At this point I sell the engine from the starship and buy a class 3 engine for it. Next, make this trade run until you have more than 38,000 credits.

By this point you should have analysed the 3 lifeforms on the planet. One of them, which has one foot and antlers and I call a hopper, you can buy for 67 credits and sell for 110 credits at the outpost. They also take up 0.2 space. Trade hoppers until you have more than 300,000 credits. (this should take a few runs, I did this by day 42.) On the next trade run you can buy a full cargo hold of hoppers. This will net you 186,000 credits, enough to outfit your ship and explorer with all class 3 equipment, plus you still have the 300,000 to buy hoppers for future money. I made the run once more to send earth 50,000 credits, fill up on stabilium and have pleny of extra for crew salaries.

B

Guest 19-06-2006 11:47 PM

how do i get the quest from the ghebraant to help them find a new world?

malkari 11-09-2006 11:34 AM

yeah its a great game even tho the graphics are a bit outdated ,btw this is a brill site thanks all.
if you are hard up :sos: cash there is a cheat available also you can use cheatfinder v1.3 :ok: :whistling:

ps has anyone got the solution i be grateful if anyone could email it to me

HomerDOHSimpson 02-02-2007 10:16 AM

Tipps for battle...

Harvest every Mineral you can find to buy better weapons <_< (Accell-Cannon seems very effective) and shields.

Question.

As i shoot down 1 of 2 attackers and the reinforcement. The other flee from the screen. After looting the other 2 i pursued the other. He was damaged but there was no battle music - he turned FRIENDLY - i didn't know. I shot him down and after that Cassy doesn't speak to me anymore "No one likes a dictator".
(ok the question comes now)
How can i deal with spoiled crew members?

edit: This dictator thing seem to happen if your crew isn't paid.

Guest 17-08-2007 05:17 AM

SPOILER ALERT!

I played this game back when it was new. I still remember to this day an easter egg of sorts

Head off to 072, 003 sometime. Try surrendering too.

Francois424 20-08-2007 10:18 PM

YToo bad we cant get the improved engine and the gun before he gives us the password. I am at the ship now (with a music that sounds a lot like a previous starflight music) imputing correct password and dosent work... that's too bad.

Thanks for the Dosbox tips, it's fun how much I missed this game ^^

axm 24-01-2008 09:19 AM

Gathering resources/ bio analysis controls.

Took me a long time to figure out you have to right click while "maneuvering" to change the exit cursor to the "gather cursor" that is mentioned in the manual. Click left with it when you are above something (remember a/d for speed manipulation in case).

Lifeforms can be analized when in cargo (gathered/bought) within the medical menu.

axm 24-01-2008 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by me_lobo (Post 114717)
Well, I think that the problem is in the choice of the weapon you make.

I had the same problem, using the cannon the Skeetch turns completely red easily, but after this nothing happens. I have the most advanced cannon and wave installed. Sadly, both of them are weak against damping. The particle is said to be weak against shields, but I can only install it on the explorer, not the spaceship.

Anyway, after the Skeetch is red, nothing of the cannon/wave had any noticeably effect on it, only using the homing missiles that use 10 fuel per shot (which are supposed to deal "damage of all three types" turned it gradually black. I think I wasted more than 100 fuel until it eventually was defeated (and it hailed me again demanding surrender after it was already plundered and definately noone aboard still alive ;)). A single canno homing missile thing that uses 10 fuel a shot destroyed it then.

The pirates I fought afterwards were damaged as one would expect, hope this is just an occasional glitch and not every battle against Skeetch.

ShadowBlade 07-02-2008 01:02 PM

To see a more detailed state of the targetted ship, you can do a Perceptive Scan on it, which shows the integrity of each station (Command, Tactical, etc.), the status of the weapons and defenses, and the materials carried on-board.

I managed to rout a single Skeetch warship today, using the Wave Gun III (the best money can buy) and Yikkak, the Kaynik tactical officer (who supposedly boosts damage). I had everything at level III besides that, except for the Pursuit Pods, which I don't think can be upgraded. The radar takes a little time to get used to, but I think I've figured it out: the closer the other dots are to the centre, obviously the closer the ships are to yours on the horizontal plane. Now, a brighter dot means the target's above you, whereas a fainter dot means it's below.

To beat the Skeetch warship, which still took a while, I shot a bunch of wave gun orbs at its tail whenever I could, and sustained fire soon brought areas of the target past red status (dark red, darker red and eventually black). I tried experimenting with different speed levels, hoping lower velocities would give me better maneuverability. I'm not sure if they did. Anyway, Skeetch vessels are really fast (past level III), so when my enemy decided to run, I couldn't catch it.

PS: Here are the coordinates of a planet which contains good amounts of stabilium (ship fuel, 100 credits per cubic metre) and silicon (20 credits per cubic metre, unfortunately):

066,075 <-- Highlight this if you want to be spoiled! :laugh:

According to the manual, which I can't seem to find at the moment (I had the original game), there are two super planets: one with tons of stabilium and a 'clown world' (whatever that might be). Their coordinates, unfortunately, are unknown (listed as ???,???).

ShadowBlade 08-02-2008 10:49 PM

YES! I found my manual, and I had forgotten it has a whole strategy guide section!

The stabilium planet's the one whose coordinates I provided on my last post, as it's apparently the only planet in the sector where stabilium can be found. It's the most expensive mineral around, so there's no better place if you like gathering minerals.

However, I've found out the best way to make money is buying lifeforms from sentient cities planetside and selling them at Newfront stations. I like trading Padellops (Newfront pays 110 credits per unit), buying them in the Deresta homeworld and selling them in Garriod. Said homeworld's around the closest 'big star' to the aforementioned station.

The Deresta normally sell Padellops at 112 credits, but if your relations with them are great, they'll sell them to you at 67 a piece. Naturally, that results in a lot of profit! :nuts:

You can reach that price haggling down from 112 or higher if you're around neutral to them, but it's not recommendable as it worsens your relations with them (you're ripping them off).

gunner5 03-12-2008 01:04 AM

Deresta

Ok, i got attacked by pirates with derestan scientists on board. Killed one ship (not the one with deresta) and then the pirate in charge surrender to me. Then i ask him about the scientists, he said he would give them to me and... nothing happens. What now? How can i get them and complete the quest?

gunner5 03-12-2008 05:10 PM

Theres something called "Docking Profile" on the navigation tab. Just click on that and the deresta will come to ur ship.

humorguy 15-11-2010 03:51 PM

Be nice if someone could scan the manual, starchart and vehicle recognition chart if they have it! Would make learning the game a lot easier. It's why I prefer Starflight, as it has a pdf manual, starchart and clue book that is easier to read! :)

retro seeker 15-04-2013 06:10 PM

easter egg

easter egg location at 072 003
go to clown world
if you surrender to them, you get filled with "unknow"
go to crew assignment, you will get clowns as crew, pay is negative 1000, expert at every dept, tougher the ABE in battle!!!
be sure to jettison most of them though else you wasted too much cargo space

Mindrax 16-02-2016 03:09 PM

At last i found it.

Played it 1993 and after that it went into oblivion for me.
I tried to remember it's name many years later but i failed.

And now about 23 years later i found it :)
It's a real joy to play it again :)
Works really good too with DosBox.

Happy days are here again. :OK:

eXoDOS 13-08-2018 06:13 PM

I recently located a CD copy of this game, however I can't seem to get it to actually access the CD tracks in game. Has anyone dealt with this or have any experience with it?

Smiling Spectre 14-08-2018 07:41 PM

Hi, eXo. :)

I checked the image.

1. It have protection non-cracked, so you need manual to pass it. Privided old underdogs manual will do.
2. I didn't found CD-play from game - but list of tracks on disk hints that it's simply audio, played in external audio player, just as it was guessed. Check it yourself.
3. Manual could shed light on this mystery - but I wasn't able to locate it. Mentioned underdogs above is from floppy version, while CD completed with "Strategy guide - user manual", as seen for example there.

Relayer 30-05-2020 04:01 AM

Cheat for this game...

To all,
I just recently requested to be able to upload cheat software called GW Share, to which is similar to Game Wizard, but for DOS only.
It allows you to manipulate the games memory. You can change the amount of credits in a game for example. I used it to give myself 10 million credits whilst playing Protostar. I've only just started playing it, and I haven't gotten very far. But I do have the best of everything, can easily pay my crew and keep replenishing my fuel without any worry.
I'm awaiting a reply located in the Community News & Feedback part of the Forum. Hopefully I'll be able to upload it for everyone to share.
Regards,
Relayer

P.S. If they do allow me to upload it, I'll do a small tutorial on how to use it.

The current time is 11:54 AM (GMT)