Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Gaming Zone (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Ultima VII or Ultima VIII (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=24244)

kad3t 22-03-2010 07:20 AM

Ultima VII or Ultima VIII

Hey!

I've got both, Ultimat VIII Pagan & Ultima VII (both parts of it). Question is which is better? Back in the days when these games were still considerably fresh/new I played a bit of Ultima VIII and it was fun but I also heard that VII was much better. Haven't heard why though... So, which one & why?

I'll attach a little poll to make this thread more entertaining... ^__^

Paco 22-03-2010 07:34 AM

you forgot Ultima Online. :D

Scatty 22-03-2010 11:05 AM

Never played Ultima VII though I've got The Complete Ultima VII CD with both parts and their two addons, just didn't have enough time or didn't come around to it since it's a bit different than Ultima VI.
Since I could choose Ultima Underworld I + II I took those two instead of Ultima VIII which is also an excellent game in my opinion. But the two Ultima Underworld dungeon crawlers are unsurpassed for me due to their unique, tense atmosphere and the effective and easiest magic spell system yet of all Ultima games.

hunvagy 22-03-2010 11:45 AM

Ultima Underworld for the win. As stated, nothing beats the atmosphere of those games.

"At last, you are asleep..." :p

Tomekk 22-03-2010 01:29 PM

Underworld.

To this day, it is one of the most atmospheric and immersive games I have ever played. :)

Second to that is the mega-epic-awesome Ultima VII. :D

Panthro 22-03-2010 04:46 PM

U7+SI+addons for me is best.

The Underworld games are second though, they are fantastic (and my favourite FP-RPGs ever)

In third place I would put Ultima 5, since it was my favourite of the old ones.

yoga 22-03-2010 04:59 PM

U8

:thumbs:

kad3t 22-03-2010 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paco (Post 400641)
you forgot Ultima Online. :D

Actually I didn't. I was thinking about more of a single player experience. I did forgot to mention it though. ^__^

kad3t 22-03-2010 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scatty (Post 400663)
(...)

Since I could choose Ultima Underworld I + II I took those two instead of Ultima VIII which is also an excellent game in my opinion. But the two Ultima Underworld dungeon crawlers are unsurpassed for me due to their unique, tense atmosphere and the effective and easiest magic spell system yet of all Ultima games.

That's interesting... I mean, from my point of view. As I've got those also (along with all the other games in Ultima franchise) but was always avoiding them because of the FPP. Not that I don't like it, it's just when I can have it in TPP I'd rather have it like that than play in FPP. I'm weird though. ^__^

Scatty 22-03-2010 09:58 PM

Trust me, saying you're weird is saying every human is weird. People are just all different. And Ultima Underworld requires first a bit of adaptation to it's controls since they ARE unique to other games of that era, though once you learn them it's quite easy to play.

The current time is 11:31 PM (GMT)